Start by marking “The Lie She Told” as Want to Read:
The Lie She Told

The Lie She Told

All Kate Wanted Was A Peaceful life.
All Ryan Wanted Was To Destroy It.

Living in the remote Scottish Highlands under Witness Protection, life is finally happy for Kate Ward and her young son Joe, until someone from Kate’s past appears. Ryan Albright is the only person that knows all of Kate’s secrets, and what she had to do to escape her previous abusive relationship.

Ryan i
Published October 1st 2020 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Lie She Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lie She Told

Start your review of The Lie She Told
Dash fan
4☆ An Engrossing, Gripping and Edgy, Suspenseful Thriller!

Kate and her son Joe are relocating, it's paramount, now her dangerous husband Darren has just been sent down for 4years.
So they have no option but to run away with the help of DI Thornes.

Two years have passed and now Kate works in a local Cafe in the Scottish Highlands, and elderly owner Jack Bruce took them both under his wing offering her a safe place to work and live above the cafe.

But someone is watching Kate and Joe, someone who kn
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Oh well, you can’t win them all. The blurb of this book looked really exciting but I don’t think it was exceptionally delivered. Predictable and obvious, I was hoping the writer would throw in more surprises to create a thrilling read.

Set in Scotland, I enjoyed the description of Kate’s new town. It felt very remote and I found the writer’s setting was quite vivid. Kate’s life of running the coffee shop and looking after her young son, Joe, seems very idyllic. Until Ryan turns up…

From this momen
Christie
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received the book from Voracious Readers Only and the author. The first part of the story describes the characters, the scenery and sets up for the action and got me hooked on the story. I loved the characters of Kate, Joe and even Jack right away. I also loved reading about Scotland and it made me want to visit. Once the action begins, there's only one thing to do, finish the book. Definitely going to read more by this author.
Sandra Mathieu
I did not finish it because I did not like it. Maybe it was just me, but it did not hold my interest. I felt it was too predictable. Maybe I am too picky and missed a great read.
Bill Chee
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Usually the title of a book gives a hint or clue for the plot or story line. I kept wondering about it and how it related to the plot while I continued to read through the chapters. Although engrossed and captivated with the trials and tribulations that Kate went through was interesting, the title kept my mind perplexed. Everything was finally revealed towered the end and fully explained. It was a unique way to spin a tale and I heartily recommend this reading.
K.S. Marsden
Amanda
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If there’s one thing I like doing it’s discovering new authors. Catherine Yaffe is certainly a new author for me. Catherine’s debut novel is ‘The Lie She Told’ which was released on 27th September 2020. May I just say ‘The Lie She Told’ is a fantastic debut novel, which I thoroughly enjoyed but more about that in a bit.
I wasn’t quite sure what to make of the characters of this story. I can’t really say that I warmed much to the lead character of Kate. There was something about her that set off l
Linda
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. A fast paced story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Kate will take you on a roller coaster of emotions I hated to put it down. Kate and her son, Joe, moved to Scotland after her husband was sent to jail. For two years everything went well until people from her past come calling and the truth is at her heels. I would highly recommend this book. I received this book as an ARC and this is my honest review.
Katherine
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this contemporary thriller set in the Scottish Highlands. The writing is tight yet descriptive and it places you firmly in the location. The main characters are likable and believable and you grew to care for them. The villains are deliciously villainous! This was a fast read but immersed me completely in the story. This debut novel by Catherine Yaffe feels anything but and I can’t wait to read more by this talented author!
Full disclosure: I received this ebook ARC of #thel
Rajiv
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

This was a very nice read! The author did a great job in setting up the suspense from the first page. The story starts off with a bang where you see Kate and Joe leave their lives to start a new one.

Also, there is a lot of back story with these characters that makes you glued to the story. How does Kate know Ryan? Is Ryan in touch with Darren? The story is pretty gripping as we see how Ryan manipulates himself into Kate, Jack and
Jo Williams
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I started this book thinking I'd dip in and out of it over a few days but ended up reading it into the night as I couldn't put it down! The characters were well-developed and there were only as many as were actually needed for the plot itself. Too many minor characters is one of my pet peeves when I'm reading a novel so I really enjoyed this aspect of the author's writing.

It's not until the very end that the reader finds out what the lie Kate told actually was, although there were a couple of h
Jasmine
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Lie She Told is a suspenseful crime thriller that will keep readers on edge throughout. It follows a woman named Kate, and her son Joe, as they make a new life for themselves in the Scottish Highlands. Kate's ex-husband is in jail, and everything seems good now. Until Kate's past catches up to her. Ryan, a friend of her ex-husband's, has inserted himself into Kate and Joe's new life, seeming to be looking to start anew as well. But Ryan's got secrets, as does Kate, and when things come to a ...more
Chloe 'hichlochu'
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This little gem of a thriller was a thoroughly enjoyable read. It was fast, a journey of dark action that leaves you craving for more. I loved how it took you through a series of events, clearly showing you the characters true colours but never leaving you without questions.

Kate and Joe were likable, neighbourly and felt real. Ryan was basically heartless human being, I never trusted him from the start. The author has written a drama full of flashbacks, a past full of secrets and deadly deceptio
Gail Cook
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Unsure at the beginning I was soon hooked and willing Kate not to trust Ryan. I also wanted little Joe to talk to his Mum. True to life children don't always think their parents have the right ideas. I loved the grandfatherly figure of the cafe owner, Jack. I was a bit disappointed at the ending and felt that there was room for another follow up story if it had been ended at chapter 48. It is still possible for the story to be picked up and run with by the author, Catherine Sk ...more
Caroline
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I want to make this a 5* review as i really enjoyed the novel but i felt like the title gives away a bit of the plot and although i enjoyed the novel knowing what was going to happen i would have enjoyed it even more not knowing if that makes sense. All that aside this is a fascinating read and the characters are interesting and well developed, the tensions builds well throughout the plot and has a satisfying end. For a debut novel it feels like very accomplished writing and i look forward to re ...more
Roxx Tarantini
Oh my! Description, complexities, characters who engage you while you still aren't quite sure they're trustworthy . . . Yaffe has it all in this page-turner!

The Lies She Told is a debut novel that reads quickly. Perhaps even obsessively. I did not put it down till I was done, this one was an all-nighter! I think you'll be as drawn in as was I, heartily recommend!

[I was fortunate to receive an ARC of this novel, through Voracious Readers, but was not required to write a review. All opinions expre
Louise Brighton
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story grabs your interest right from the start. The characters are likeable and despicable as humans are, and I am glad that the protagonist is not perfect, because it makes her more real and relatable. The ending is satisfying. Simply put, this book is a good, easy read. Thank you to the author and Voracious Readers Only for the complimentary copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
Mrs M L Smith
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it gripped me from page 1. I read it in 2 days, I just had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen.
The characters are really brought to life, you find you go through an array of emotions whilst reading. As you immerse yourself in the story, you feel empathy, anger, sadness and happiness as if you were the character you’re reading.
I highly recommend reading this book, you won’t regret it 😃
Lori
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book from a new author. A few mind set adjustments as an American the difference in speech patterns and use of words took a little getting use to! Good plot line that flowed well and made sense. Will read any books she writes in the future, hope she continues this as a series.
Cheyelle Martin
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book had me hooked from the first page.
The characters were believable and I liked them except Ryan who it was easy to hate. So many times I wanted to shake Kate and tell her to wake up to what was going on.
The setting was perfect and the story was easy to lose yourself in.
I can’t wait to read more from this author.
Kim Atkinson
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic and well written book! Once I started the book I found it hard to put down, the descriptive writing makes you feel like you are right there, and as the story progresses you feel a real empathy for the characters. A definite must read for anyone!
Billie
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I read a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
Bethan Trueman
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!

I was on the edge of my seat throughout. So unsettling! Can't wait for the next one!! Incredible debut novel.
Meleaha Howard
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I had some suspicions about why Daz was in prison, but it all caught me by surprise at the end. Really good thriller!
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
This is a really well written debut novel. I can’t wait to read more from this author.

The main characters Kate and her son Joe are very likeable. Uprooted under witness protection they move to Scotland to start a new life. I felt myself wanting to shout at Kate and tell her to stay away from Ryan.

I thought this was a fast paced story with suspense. Can’t wait to read more from this author.
Jessica Belmont
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review:
Wow!! What a start to a series. The Lie She Told is a complex thriller that really makes you think. How well do you really know the people around you? Whew! I’m still thinking about it.
Catherine Yaffe has crafted characters who are so realistic, you’ll think you’re reading a true story. I love how the characters aren’t quite trustworthy and I always felt like I was about to be surprised.
I very much enjoyed this one and would recommend giving it a shot. Worth the read!! Quite the page turn
elissa robinson
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story

Loved this book. Great story had me gripped from start to finish. Can not wait to read the next book .
Jeannie Bee
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book via Voracious Readers.

I knew I was going to enjoy this book from the first chapter. The story flows, is well written and pacy. I liked all the characters, who are totally believable, apart from Ryan who is believable and a nasty piece of work! Great debut novel and would recommend. This book would make a satisfying holiday read.
Ruth Kirby-Smith
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read the first two chapters and definitely want to read more. Waiting now for release date.
Janessa
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
The Lie She Told is a fast-paced and easy read, though it would benefit from slowing down to give readers a chance to better know the cast.

Kate Ward has done something to warrant being placed in Witness Protection. One can assume from the title that she told a lie and, given her anxiety regarding that decision, it's a big one.

At the beginning of the novel, Kate leaves the courthouse and meets up with her sister, Fiona, and Kate's young son, Joe. Fiona drives them home and, upon arrival, Kate and
Goodreads Librari...: Merge author profiles 2 16 Jul 06, 2020 05:39AM

• Life After You
  • Small Sacrifices
  • The Boy Between: A Mother and Son’s Journey From a World Gone Grey
  • An Unusual Boy
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • The Murder Club (Miller Hatcher #2)
  • Inside Voices
  • Just a Girl (Just a Series, #2)
  • Strangers
  • The House Guest
Debut crime thriller The Lie She Told released 1st October 2020.

All Kate wanted was a peaceful life.
All Ryan wanted to do was destroy it.

ORDER NOW!

Non-fiction book Digital Marketing Made Easy reached #2 in Social Media category in March 2019.

News & Interviews