Start by marking “The Blue Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
The Blue Fairy Book

Read Book

The Blue Fairy Book

(Coloured Fairy Books #1)

The Blue Fairy Book was the first volume in the series and so it contains some of the best known tales, taken from a variety of sources: not only from Grimm, but exciting adventures by Charles Perrault and Madame D'Aulnoy, the Arabian Nights, and other stories from popular traditions. Here in one attractive paperbound volume - with enlarged print - are Sleeping Beauty, Rum ...more
Paperback, Dover, 390 pages
Published June 1st 1965 by Dover Publications (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Fairy Book, please sign up.
Russ Dependent on previous reading but certainly can be read by a 13 year old especially as it can be dipped into rather than read in one long sitting.

Brigid ✩
I always loved fairytales when I was a little kid––and no, not the silly watered-down ones. I liked the real, hardcore shit. The fairytales where everyone dies. Those are the good ones. Those Disney princess movies always bored me. (Except I loved Beauty and the Beast, because Belle isn't a dumbass and she reads a lot––like meeee!)

Anyway, if I recall correctly, I had at least one of Andrew Lang's fairytale collections when I was a kid … maybe a couple of them. Then, this past month, I had an ass
Arielle Walker
I can't believe the level of nostalgia this book created. Not every story is equally memorable, but the ones that lingered over decades (yes, plural!) in my mind make this worth every star.
May 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
What I did while reading this book was I wrote short little notes for each story, so that in the future I could look back and see which stories were worth reading again, or recommending. I gave each story a mini-rating of 1-3 asterisks (*), with 1 being the "horrible" and 3 being "just okay". Overall though, I was severally disappointed in this book of fairy tales.

The Bronze Ring: *This story was slightly shocking. The way they dealt with the evil man in the end was a violent. I did not like the
Christine
Lang wrote some of the stories, but he largely edited this collection. Like the Grimms, but far more honest, Lang used translations provided by his wife and other women (he thanks the women in his introduction, gives credit to original sources at the end of the tales).

It makes this collection, the first, rather interesting. By and large, the stories are mostly from the Grimms and French Salons. They include well known favorites like "Cinderella" but also lesser known ones such as "The Yellow Dwa
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This collection contains many classic fairy tales and only a few that were new to me. Some stories are better than others, but mostly good. I was pleased to recognise some of the stories that I remembered from my childhood and that I had forgotten (Toads and Diamonds, Trusty John, The story of the prince Ahmed and the Fairy Paribanou).
Since the tales seem to be quite long, one hopes the littlies will have the patience to listen to them till the end … or fall asleep, which isn’t a bad outcome ei
Hiba Arrame
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thirty-seven stories which vary in length and enjoyability.
It was a fun read, I wouldn't read some of the stories to my nephews or my kids in the future.
Shauna
"She lives in a castle which lies east of the sun and west of the moon..."

Of all the fairy book spectrum, I'm glad I started with blue. More than a few old favourites in here, in particular the stories East of the Sun, West of the Moon, and Beauty and the Beast. It's lovely regardless, I think, to fall every now and then into a world where, even before first sight, people can fall so deeply in love that they can't eat or drink (view spoiler)
momma.hailey
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What I love most about this book is that they are “non-Disney” endings. We all enjoy discussing them, whether bizarre or as we expected. My son (7) and I have enjoyed taking turns reading this aloud to each other all year. We picked up the Red Fairy Book too because we enjoyed this one so much.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Some of these are familiar - Red Riding Hood suffers a brutal end, Rumpelstiltskin gets ripped off again, Cinderella earns her name by cleaning out the chimney and having dainty feet, but Jack and the Giant-killer makes you wonder how we got the modern day Jack and the Beanstalk. Toss in a sedate and castle-heavy Aladdin and it just doesn't hold as much charm. The Story of Pretty Goldilocks is definitely not the version with three bears and porridge.

The Bronze Ring is long-winded, bizarre, all
Hweeps
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: really, really bored people
Shelves: my-ebooks
From the famed The Blue Fairy Book, I learned that:

1. If you are a girl, and you are "beautiful", so amazingly pretty that sometimes, there are just no words to describe you, you might just survive whatever is coming at you next, because

2. The villains can never defeat the good, because someway or other, there will always, out of the blue, and completely deus ex machina-like, pop out these magical items that might just save the beautiful girl's ass(oops, I mean, her cute behind).

3. You just hav
Hope
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
It would appear that Lang compiled these stories "as is" without any editing. Some were very good and some were very bad. It didn't help that the narrator of my audiobook version got very screechy with some of her voices.

Still, it was a fascinating look at some of the original versions of famous tales. In this book's version of Sleeping Beauty, she and the prince had to hide their kids from his mother who was an ogre who loved to eat children. (!) In Red Riding Hood no hunter comes in to save th
Becca
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, fiction
Hmmm. I loved this book and fairy tales in general when I was a kid bur retracing them only makes me a little sad at the realization that they are pretty much tales of horrible family betrayal and that the real moral of many of them is that as long as you are the most beautiful princess and the youngest then it will probably turn out ok.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I've been working my way through this for about five years. I'm sure I read it when I was younger, but fairy tales never get old for me. I mainly listened to it on my Kindle at night around bedtime, and that was a great format.

Fairy tales have some good lessons for the listener. Perseverance, doing good deeds for others, being clever, and to never underestimate one's circumstances. Poor people can become kings, queens, princes or princesses. They can also be disturbing in how children and many
Leslie
3 stars for the audiobook; 4 stars for the book itself. See my review of the Kindle edition for a brief review of the book.

While I thought that Angele Masters did some very good voices (and a very good Scots accent for the last two tales), there were recurring mouth sounds (mostly sounds of swallowing) that put me off. Glad that I picked up this audiobook as a free Whispersync deal, but that brings me to another problem I had with this audiobook. It didn't actually sync with the Kindle book prop
Renee M
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Haha! These are great! Creepy and funny and gruesome. These ARE your grandmother's fairytales! HeeHeeHee!
Cathy aka The Attached Mama
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
We completed this with the Memoria Press literature guide (which I highly recommend!). My son enjoyed the stories, but said they were a little strange.
Matthew Hunter
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
My main takeaway from Lang's "Blue Fairy Book"? "Happily ever after" is far from the norm! These tales include grizzly murders, playing on insecurities, forced marriages, abductions, and maniacal little people. Take "Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess" as an example.
If you had a complex about your de Bergerac-like nose, how'd you like to have a prattling fairy and dinner host say: "My dear Prince, might I beg you to move a little more that way, for your nose casts such a shadow that I
Mary Catelli
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the one I personally owned as a child. As the very first, it is chock-full of the standard issue, top-20 pop charts tales -- among others. Heavily from Norwegian, French, and German sources.

Though even with the popular ones, he may include things you don't know. He follows Perrault in Sleeping Beauty in the Woods, and so the story does not end when she wakes up. Beauty and the Beast has significant dreams for Beauty.

And some ones not too familar. "Why the Sea Is Salt." "Snow White and Ro
PurplyCookie
The book assembled a wide range of tales, with seven from the Brothers Grimm, five from Madame d'Aulnoy, three from the Arabian Nights, and four Norse stories, among other sources.

"The Bronze Ring" - According to Lang's preface, this version of this fairy tale from the Middle East or Central Asia was translated and adapted from Traditions Populaires de l'Asie Mineure by Carnoy et Nicolaides. (Paris:Maison-neuve, 1889.)

"Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess" - a French fairy tale from Le P
Becca
As I read this book, I kept thinking, "I would have loved these fairytales so much when I was between 5 and 10 years old!". Back then, I read every single fairy story I could get my hands on; before I could read I made my mom and brothers read them to me. For some reason, I've always been fascinated with them (Yup, still am XD). Now that I'm older and reading an entire collection like this, I noticed several patterns emerging.

(1) Original fairytales are GORY! If you want a dark fairytale, don't
Jennifer Girard
2.5

I wasn't expecting too much from this book. It was exactly what I thought it would be. Hopefully the next books will be a bit better.
Shoshana
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
I'm excited to be re-reading these!

I appear to have bookmarked (on my e-reader) the story of Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess, perhaps because the female Fairy has a large role. In fact, I had sort of forgotten what a significant percentage of traditional fairy tales - even western ones - have active women using agency. Hint: They're mostly not the ones that people today are aware of, because they're not the ones retold in the media.

Anyway, more of my bookmarks: I really liked The Ta
Lindsay Stares
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
The stories in this collection have an amazing range, and Lang is good enough to cite his source for almost all of his tales. There are 37 stories total, including six selections from Grimm, five from Perrault, a couple Scots tales (in dialect, sort of), a few British traditionals, three from the Arabian Nights, the part of Gulliver's Travels about Lilliput, and a full retelling of the Perseus myth with different names. It's almost overwhelming.

A few of them are really unique ones.

“The History o
Terri Lynn
I reread this book that I read many years ago. There is a selection of some of the best known fairytales as well as more rare ones, all in their ORIGINAL versions which is NOT the same as the saccharine sweet clean-up Disney-ized versions. If you want to read the real deal, try out this book of the original stories the way they were meant to be read.
Elizabeth
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I wrote a huge term paper about Andrew Lang's fairy tales and Jungian psychology in college. These fairy tales are awesome!
Gabi Eisenberg
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some of the best fairy tales in history, definitely an anthology of classics. Quite a few of these stories followed the same basic structure...problem, main character does 3 tasks, wins Princess's love and kingdom, lives happily ever after. A few great stories in here, but a few repetitive, boring stories as well.

1. The Bronze Ring -- 1 star
2. Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess -- 2 stars
3. East of the Sun, West of the Moon -- 3 stars
4. The Yellow Dwarf -- 4 stars
5. Little Red Riding-H
Keli
I thought myself a great lover of fairytales but turns out I have a limit and preference. My limit is about 4 hours. This took me weeks! I downloaded the free librovox recordings, which are great cos they are all recorded by different people. So on one track you might get a New York accent, then a Mancunian. But no matter how delightful the accent, when the tale was shit there was no saving it. And boy, were there some doozies on here. There is a reason we all know certain stories, they were the ...more
LobsterQuadrille
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys fairy tales and fantasy
This first book in the Fairy Book series features some of the Western world's best-known stories, from "Cinderella" to "Puss-In-Boots". As in The Red Fairy Book, there are illustrations by H.J. Ford and another artist: in this case, G.P. Jacomb Hood. I enjoyed the illustrations of both, though at this early point it seems like Ford's style was not yet as strong and distinctive as it would later become. Still, the pictures are a great complement to the stories. And as for the tales themselves, t ...more
Abigail
I'm a big fan of fairytales, and it was fun to read some of the originals. I also found it interesting to see how some of the same themes and tropes were used in different tales. Definitely recommend this one.
Ariel
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are some good ones in here, but this edition purposely omitted the Arabian Nights stories, which is BS

• English Fairy Tales
  • Parables from Nature
  • The People Could Fly: American Black Folktales
  • Traditional Irish Fairy Tales
  • Irish Fairy and Folk Tales
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.

The Young Scholar and Journalist
Andrew Gabriel Lang grew up in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders, the son of the town clerk and the eldest of eight children. The wild and beautiful landscape of his childh

Coloured Fairy Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Red Fairy Book
  • The Brown Fairy Book
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • The Olive Fairy Book
“So labour at your Alphabet,
For by that learning shall you get
To lands where Fairies may be met.”
6 likes
“The advantage of possessing a great empire is not to be able to do the evil that one desires, but to do all the good that one possibly can.” 2 likes