Start by marking “Tom's Midnight Garden” as Want to Read:
Tom's Midnight Garden

Tom's Midnight Garden

Lying awake at night, Tom hears the old grandfather clock downstairs strike . . . eleven . . . twelve . . . thirteen . . . Thirteen! When Tom gets up to investigate, he discovers a magical garden. A garden that everyone told him doesn't exist. A garden that only he can enter . . .

A Carnegie-Medal-winning modern classic that's magically timeless.
Published October 30th 1992 by Greenwillow Books (first published December 31st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Tom's Midnight Garden, please sign up.

K.D. Absolutely
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books
Shelves: 501, childrens
I was surprised finding myself that I really liked this book. This is my 98th book this year and just my 2nd children's fiction. If this were not one of the children's books in the 501 Must Read Books, I would not have picked this up.

Time Slip is used brilliantly in the plot that you don't know between the two main characters, Tom or Hatty, is the ghost and who is a real human being. To give you an example, in the movie Sixth Sense, you know right away who are the ghosts because the boy charact
Zoë
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book 32/100 of 2015
Sarah Sammis
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
English manor homes seem to inspire a certain kind of time travel story. They are usually dream like and include a friendship across the ages. The only caveat, the protagonist from the present is usually unable to alter past events. Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce fits perfectly in this category and it's one of my favorite examples.

Tom Long, the present day (that being probably the 1950s) protagonist is sent away to his aunt and uncle's flat while his brother recovers at home from the
fin
May 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of British children's fantasy
I read this book 10 years ago, and it still haunts me.

Tom is forced to stay with aunt and uncle for the holidays. He hates the "no-garden"-ness of their city flat, and a cranky old landlady who lives in the attic. One night, the old grandfather clock downstairs struck 13. Tom is led to open the back door, and he finds a blooming and live garden, which he learns later isn't there during the daytime.

In the garden world, time stood still for him. He befriends Hattie, a girl as lonely as he is. But
Rosanna Threakall
4.5 STARS.

A truly magical story, entertaining for kids and adults alike. The beauty of this book is how you can allow your imagination to run away with you, just as Tom does. I will for sure pass this story (probably this exact book because THAT COVER THOUGH and it has cute illustrations) onto my kids as I think it's a great classic kids story.

I know this story well, I had the audio book on tape (yes tape, I am 21, kids) when I was a little girl but it was an abridged radio-play dramatization s
Amalie
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone.
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
All this time I thought I had already added it to the shelf. This is a true children's classic. It is a beautiful, haunting evocative story of childhood, growing up, adulthood and old age. It's also unbearably sad, in a happy kind of way, if that makes sense. It's the story of life.

As a child and a teenager I used to have dreams about the Midnight garden, so did last night.

The story is about how two lonely children - a liitle boy named Tom and a little girl named Hattie - found each other's wo
Justine
May 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If I ever need to cry, I pick up this book (one of my favourites) and skim right to the end, to the line: "he put his arms right round her and hugged her good-bye as if she were a little girl." What a beautiful book this is - I was not a child when I read this but I want to read this to my children one day.
Andrew
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another one of those titles that remember from school days but cannot remember reading - Along with the rats of NIMH and the secret garden there were a list of books we had to read at school which I think at the time I dreaded or hated in equal measures but now look back with fondness and curiosity.

Well I had the chance to get a copy (okay this copy) for free and leapt at the chance to read it (again I think).

And I must admit the memories all came flooding back - yet the book reads bot
Tej
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It has been several years since I last read this beautifully enchanting and somewhat haunting time-slip tale about childhood, friendship, adolescence and the ocean swept passages of time.

This being not only my favourite time travel book but perhaps my favourite stand alone novel of all time, I thought its about time I wrote a little something about it. To be honest, I'm triggered to writing this in a hope of promoting its position in a poll for our next time travel book of the month group read.
Beth Bonini
This children's classic - one of the most beloved Carnegie Medal winners of all time - will probably be my last read of 2017. I read it, finally, because Penelope Lively praised it so highly in her recent gardening memoir Life in the Garden. Lively considers it to be far superior to The Secret Garden, that other wonderful children's classic set in a garden. I don't know that I agree with her, but I will acknowledge that I fell in love with Burnett's novel as a child - and I think that can really ...more
Eric Leonard
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Oh my God! I have no words for this book! This is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read, I swear! The final scene is the most heartwarming scene in a book I've ever read. Yes, it is a book for children, but you should all read it. It is amazing!
C.
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh! How do I express my gladness to have experienced this book? I can’t believe it’s from 1958. It could be a 1970s child, who feels his summer was forfeited by spending it with his apartment-dwelling Aunt. He loves his family’s yard and his Aunt only has trashcans on cement. With his brother ill, away he goes. His Aunt is keen to take him out but his Uncle is my least favourite type; debating whatever you utter. I love that Tom issues metaphysical challenges to him!

I hadn’t heard of Philippa Pe
Graham
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I remember avidly watching the Children's BBC adaptation of TOM'S MIDNIGHT GARDEN when I was around Tom's age myself - this would have been in 1990 or so. I absolutely loved the series, but to my chagrin I never read the book on which it was based - until now.

I'd always assumed that this was a modern book but on checking the details I found it was written in 1958 - this explains how Pearce has a natural way with words and how she recaptures the same magic of childhood as Enid Blyton did. In fact
Sharon
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Long is a young boy who is sent to stay with his Aunt and Uncle for a Summer when his brother becomes ill. There isn't much for Tom to do, but one night when the big old Grandfather clock in the hall strikes Thirteen, Tom goes to investigate. He opens a door to shine some moonlight on the clock........and finds a wonderful garden where there should only be rubbish bins and concrete.

Written in 1958, this was a childhood favourite of mine. I never owned a copy, but I borrowed it from the libr
Martini
So beautiful, especially the last half!
If you used to spend your childhood playing outdoors, or if you're into gardens, or if you simply love a sweet story with a touch of fantasy, you should seriously consider reading this book.
I think it's even better to read this as an adult, because you will get all the finer nuances and details that a child might not realise.
Alexandra
*** Review available by request for those on my Friend list ***
Amina
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 🤩
It was simply wonderful.
Nikki
When I think about this book, I get the same sort of feeling as Tom at the beginning of the story -- a little stifled, restless, too full of food. It's quite odd! Anyway, that somewhat colours my memories of this book, making it a bit less wondrous than perhaps it should be. It's a sweet story, ultimately, about mutual loneliness and need of companionship reaching right across time and bringing too lonely children together. It never gets too saccharine, though -- perhaps just slightly, at the en ...more
Alisha
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fanciful...timey-wimey...too gentle and charming to be called sci-fi, but you get the idea.
In this book, written in the 50s, young Tom Long must go stay with his uncle and aunt to be quarantined in case he caught the measles from his brother.
While there, late at night, he hears the grandfather clock chime thirteen times. He discovers that at this mysterious signal, he is able to walk out the door into a beautiful garden that's not there during the day.
To begin with, he just enjoys playing and e
Ellie Labbett
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: friendship, nature
Pearce left me with mixed feelings throughout my reading of her book. It is without a doubt that her rich language has created a magical, vivid world- one that all children would want to be a part of. It is this language that makes it all the more heartbreaking when Tom has to leave this world, live in the present and move on with his life.
Another positive to the text is the philosophical questions that Pearce evokes. The audience is left questioning the concept of time, looking more deeply int
Kaethe Douglas
Poor Tom, forced to go away during the summer holiday while his brother suffers the measles, and kept indoors under quarantine. How old-fashioned is that? Between Tom's unattractive sulking and insomnia, my general lack of interest in gardening, and a personal fear that this was going to turn into one of those stories about a guy finding the perfect mate by traveling back to a time before feminism, well, I didn't have high hopes. But it turned out to be a story about falling in love with a place ...more
CLM
I first came across this book, not in the library, but on an old PBS radio show called The Spider's Web. We did not get very good reception - the narrator's voice (Frances Shrand was her name) sometimes disappeared mid chapter but once we caught the title I hurried to the library to find it. My book had this very cover: https://perfectretort.blogspot.com/20...

Technically, this should be categorized as time slip rather than time travel...
Tristan Sherwin
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a reason why this book is a classic.

I haven't read this book since being at primary school in the nineteen-eighties, and even then, the book was read to me.

I'm now thirty-six, and I've enjoyed reading it as much as I did hearing it. The best children's books are the ones that you still want to read as an adult.

This is a beautiful story, one that is wonderful to escape into.

Highly recommended.

--Tristan Sherwin, author of *Love: Expressed*
Tom
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, charming book that, like the garden in the title, may hold just as much for the reader older in years as for the young.
Jakk Makk
If plot is a riddle, this doesn't deliver on the riddle's best solution. A prime example of why book party fouls exist, even if they are well managed. . . (view spoiler) ...more
Ivana Nešić
1. Iznerviram se kad u ovim godinama saznam da postoji klasik dečje književnosti za koji nisam ni čula
2. Iznerviram se što ovo nisam pročitala 30 godina ranije. Ok. 25 godina ranije. Osećam da bi mi bilo nešto najomiljenije na svetu.
2b. Iako mislim da bi meni bilo najomiljenije na svetu, nisam sigurma da bih mogla da preporučim Kad sat otkuca trinaest malcima danas jer je, naročito negde oko prve trećine, knjiga veoma spora. Prosto ritam iz drugog vremena. Ali to se do kraja sve isplati.
ดินสอ สีไม้
ชวงแรกกจะนาเบือหนอย
เพราะผูเขียนดำเนินเรืองดวยบทบรรยายเปนสวนมาก
แตพอเริมตืนเตน มันกสนุกดีนะ
เราชอบพลอต โดยเฉพาะในตอนจบ มันเซอรไพรส และนารักดี
อบอุน นารัก อิมเอม
Catie
Such an adorable book! Another children’s book, I wish I would have read when I was a child. I’d compare this to ‘The Secret Garden’ and Julie Edwards novel, ‘Mandy’. I think I would have loved to discover a secret garden as a child. I can just imagine where it would take my imagination. I also loved the idea of the time travel, and figuring out the mystery of the clock and why Tom was able to go back in time to Hatty and the garden. The ending of the book was quite a satisfying one as well. Def ...more
Jane
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was not, as a rule, a huge fan of sad book when I was a child, but I remember both loving Tom's Midnight Garden and finding it heartbreaking. Sometimes I'm reluctant to reread something that gave me so much pleasure as a child, because I want to hold on to that initial experience. But the rereading was well worth it. It is a story about the power of memory, the relentless passage of time, and the fleeting but intense beauty of the world and childhood. One might think that these are not themes ...more
Ivan
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one of those novels that I'll remember and appreciate in time more than I do now. The story is a good one, and there are many memorable scenes. However, I found the writing rather tedious, sluggish; I kept wanting the pace of the narrative to pick up. The final forty pages are quite lovely, and the final encounter choked me up. Still, I don't know that I'd recommend this to a child - certainly not before "The Borrowers" or "The Children of Green Knowe."
Time Travel: Tom's Midnight Garden (November 2014 Buddy Read) 44 51 Feb 01, 2015 03:47AM
1001 Children's B...: October 2014: Tom's Midnight Garden 3 26 Dec 22, 2014 04:16AM
  • Charlotte Sometimes (Aviary Hall, #3)
  • The Children of Green Knowe
  • A Traveller in Time
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • Stig of the Dump
  • The Family from One End Street (The Family from One End Street, #1)
  • The Box of Delights
  • Elidor
  • Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6)
  • Time at the Top (Time at the Top, #1)
  • Carrie's War
  • The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
  • The Haunting
  • The Little Bookroom
  • The School at the Chalet
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)
  • The Little Grey Men
Philippa Pearce OBE was an English author of children's books. Her most famous work is the time slip fantasy novel Tom's Midnight Garden, which won the 1958 Carnegie Medal from the Library Association, as the year's outstanding children's book by a British subject. Pearce was four further times a commended runner-up for the Medal.

Pearce wrote over 30 books, including A Dog So Small (1962), Mi
“Nothing stands still, except in our memory.” 49 likes
“A habit of solitude in early childhood is not easily broken. Indeed, it may prove lifelong.” 14 likes