Start by marking “The Power Couple” as Want to Read:
The Power Couple

The Power Couple

From #1 New York Times bestselling author and Edgar Award winner Alex Berenson comes a supercharged thriller about marriage and the dangerous secrets spouses keep.

Rebecca and Brian Unsworth appear to have it all. A nice house in the suburbs of Washington, DC. Two well-behaved, healthy teenage children. Important government jobs—Rebecca working in counterterrorism for the F
Expected publication: February 9th 2021 by Simon Schuster

Start your review of The Power Couple
Meredith
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Exciting Premise

The Power Couple is a suspenseful thriller about the kidnapped teen of an FBI agent.

I went in blind, and I think this is the way to go, so I am not going to include a plot summary.

The narrative is split between “The Power Couple,” Brian and Rebecca, with another view shared from their 19-year-old daughter’s perspective. I didn’t love the characters. I was rooting for one, felt nothing for another, and despised the other.One character was so revolting that they actually made th
Christina
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A domestic thriller with an espionage twist! An international domestic thriller! Great fast-paced and original book. I don’t normally read espionage thrillers and didn’t know this was going to be one — and I’m glad because I wouldn’t have wanted to miss this. Though it’s a spy story, it’s primarily a story about a marriage — what happens when that marriage is thrust into crisis and long-held secrets bubble to the surface.

I think it’s best to go into this book as blind as I did for maximum fun wi
Theresa Alan
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Parts of this novel are extremely fraught with tension. Other parts go back over the Rebecca and Brian meeting and raising of children while Rebecca got her law degree and then became an FBI agent while Brian was the primary caregiver who lived where Rebecca’s career took her.

When their nineteen-year-old daughter is kidnapped in Spain, Rebecca thinks it might have something to do with her job as a counterintelligence agent. Or it could be that she was kidnapped for a ransom or to be sold into hu
Anissa
I read this in a day and it was very good at keeping my attention. I wasn't expecting it to be so much an espionage tale but it wove well around the troubled marriage of the Unsworths. I most liked how Kira was portrayed and her relationship with her mother reminded me a bit of Elizabeth and Paige of The Americans. I don't want to spoil (and my mind is a bit on other things this week) but there was something of a lull but the momentum did reengage carrying the story to a decent end.

This is my f
Bandit
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to Tolstoy (and who are we to argue) all happy families are alike and each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. This is a story of a family that doesn’t fit precisely into either of those categorizations, it’s superficially happy to all appearances, two adults, two kids, financially comfortable, with both parents in high powered jobs, she in counterintelligence offices of the FBI) and he as a coder for NSA. Two decades together and the couple still physically fit and mentally and ...more
Andrea Pole
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Power Couple by Alex Berenson is the first novel that I have read from this author. It is, at its heart, a tale of espionage, although a large part of the story falls firmly in the genre of a domestic thriller.

Rebecca Unsworth works for the FBI in counterterrorism, and her husband Brian is a coder for the National Security Agency. By all outward appearances a successful couple, Rebecca and Brian treat their two teenaged children to a family holiday in Barcelona. Shortly after arrival, daught
Tammy
Dec 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was just okay for me. It was a fast paced domestic thriller with a touch of espionage mixed in. There was a lot of focus on their marriage along with many secrets. I personally just had a hard time connecting with the characters and just couldn’t root for either of them.
Elaine
Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of The Power Couple.

Oh look, I actually liked this one!

The blurb caught my eye so I was excited when my request was approved.

This is not a typical domestic thriller; oh, there are some standard tropes; a marriage gone sour after many years, lies and secrets being kept from the spouses, the day to day grind of work, minutiae and reflection that makes you wonder: why did I marry this person?

** Minor spoilers ahead **

After 20 years of marriage and two kids, R
Amanda McHugh
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a Berenson book in a few years, but when this title popped in my feed, I knew I had to request it. The cover and synopsis were interesting, and I was thrilled to be approved.

On the surface, Brian and Becks have a lovely relationship. Married for twenty years, two beautiful children, and careers they love. A twentieth anniversary trip abroad, however, highlights the cracks in their love, as Kira, their daughter, is abducted one night in Barcelona. Desperate to find her, they must
Bob
Oct 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Bottom line: It’s just an okay book and not one I’d highly recommend you rush out to read.

Without going into detail about the plot, the focus of The Power Couple is on Rebecca and Brian Unsworth - she’s works in a senior position In counterterrorism for the FBI, he works in software at the NSA — whose marriage has been less than ideal for years due to their differing career and personal trajectories. To try to bring them closer together, they decide to take a family vacation in Barcelona with t
Toni Osborne
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
“The Power Couple” is a look into a modern marriage and the challenges of parenthood, sex and love.

The main players are the Unsworth : Rebecca works in counter-terrorism for the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Brian is a coder for the National Security Agency they live in a suburbs of Washington DC with their two teenage children. The story brings the family to Barcelona on a well-deserved holiday but things take an unexpected and frightening turn when Kira, the daughter, does not return hom
Dianna Marshall
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Power Couple, Berenson's new novel, is a powerhouse of deceit , intrigue and secrets. On a weak and trembling foundation such as this, is it any wonder that the couple's daughter is kidnapped and in mortal danger. In fact, it should come as no surprise that her younger brother internalizes much of the guilt for the kidnapping, since neither of the parents have the wherewithal to own up to their own share of the responsibility.

Fortunately, Kira is a smart, industrious character, who learned
Erika
Dec 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Rebecca and Brian are on a 20th anniversary trip to Europe with their kids. Kira, their 19 year old daughter goes to a club in Barcelona one night and doesn't come back. They begin the search for her, wondering if she has been kidnapped and it if has something to do with Rebecca's job as an FBI agent.

3.5 stars.

I am sort of torn on this book. There were things I really liked and things I didn't.  It was
Mich
Nov 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, suspense
The book starts out as a fairly typical family vacation in Barcelona with one daughter getting kidnapped. The mother, who is quite successful is in the FBI while the father is a slack off computer/ systems operator for NSA with a low level job who it turns outs is turning over secrets to the Russians in exchange for money. The plot drags quite a bit at times when background stories are used to fill in.
Brenda | books.asusual
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Power Couple by Alex Berenson is a suspenseful read. It is told from three perspectives: Brian and Rebecca Unsworth as well as their daughter Kira, who is kidnapped during their stay in Barcelona. The book focuses on Brian and Rebecca's complicated and troubled marriage as well as the chase to find their daughter and figure out why she was kidnapped. As the book progresses, secrets are unveiled and we see why their current relationship is the way that it is. The Power Couple is a page turner ...more
theliterateleprechaun
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
How well do you ever really know someone? You can’t know every little thing about them. Do you? Your neighbour. Your best friend. Your kids. Your husband. I’ll wager you don’t know them as well as you think you do. Alex Berenson, in ‘The Power Couple,’ to be published February 9, 2021, probes the possibility that of all relationships, spouses keep the most dangerous secrets.

This fast-paced and exceptionally written domestic thriller appeals to readers immediately; it’s an armchair journey throu
Maureen
Dec 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
This was a fast paced, edge of your seat novel. Lots of twists and turns made for great reading. Highly recommended! Looking forward to more by this author.
Janet
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Date reviewed/posted: November 16, 2020

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is once again closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and
Kristine
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Alex Berenson's John Wells series and when I saw that there was a new book available on NetGalley by this author, I immediately out in a request for an ARC. It wasn't until I received my approval that I realized that this book was a stand alone novel, and had nothing to do with the Wells series. Did it bother me? Absolutely not. I couldn't wait to see what Mr. Berenson had in store for his readers.

This book is told in various time frames (we get the past perspective, and the
KKEC Reads
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Published: February 9, 2021
Simon & Schuster
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Alex Berenson is a former New York Times reporter and now a gifted author. He has published over 15 works, and his storytelling only gets better.

“Fire. The Daenerys Targaryen of kidnapped American chicks. Of course, it hadn’t ended so great for Daenerys.”

Becks and Bri have lived a relatively charmed life together. She works for the FBI, and he works for the NSA, they have two children ab
Joyce
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant Political Thriller

If you want to read a page-turner with authentic twists, this multi-layered thriller will not waste your time.

The Power Couple is Brian Unsworth, the husband, who is a decoder for the NSA and Rebecca Unsworth, the wife, a devoted, FBI agent who knows all the angles. They have two children, Kira, a student at Tufts, beautiful and adventurous and Tony, a rather awkward, younger brother. The setting is Barcelona, Spain where the family is vacationing to celebrate Brian (
Eva
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
When Rebecca and Brian and their two young adult kids Tony and Kira head for Europe to celebrate their parents’ 20th anniversary they could never have guessed that 19 year old Kira would not come home one night after meeting a guy in a bar.

By the next day, Kira still hasn’t returned to her family. Her parents, an FBI agent and an NSA coder / “hacker” are wanting to bring in the big guns for this investigation while the smaller police branches still wonder if the daughter just went home with a b
John Hebert
Nov 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of The Power Couple by Alex Berenson in exchange for my review. I read no other reviews before I wrote my review.

I am a fan of Alex Berenson. I have read all of his John Wells novels and I enjoyed them very much. I was really excited to get to read an ARC of his new book. I think The Power Couple is a good book.

The story relates to a couple who work for part of their careers at the FBI and the NSA. Intelligence is part of their professional lives. They are not, however, trained
Hermione
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I feel a bit bad giving this one a two, but I thought a 3 might be misleading. It's not a bad book, it just tries to do something and doesn't quite succeed.
The book opens with the teen daughter of a couple being kidnapped. It then undercuts the tension of this by going back and looking at the wife's memories of the marriage. These memories have nothing to do with the kidnapping, and are a bit odd because they introduce people who have no impact on the kidnapping, or on anything other than that
Hayley

A gripping thriller with an interesting structure and at least one good twist.

Rebecca and Brian Unsworth are celebrating their 20th anniversary with a family trip to Europe. When their 19 year old daughter, Kira, goes missing in Barcelona they have to decide if it’s a random abduction or if it’s connected to them specifically: Rebecca works for the FBI in Russian counterintelligence and Brian is part of an elite hacker team in the NSA.

The novel moves between the past, viewing Rebecca an
Mary G.
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The perfect fusion of domestic suspense and spy novels - I was totally hooked by this novel! Prepare to read this book in one sitting!

In Barcelona, tourists would expect to eat tapas, drink sangria, and wait in a long line to see the Sagrada Familia. Unfortunately for Rebecca and Brian, their family trip gets a lot more complicated when daughter Kira doesn't come home from a night off. Rebecca, a successful FBI agent, is sure that Kira has been kidnapped. But why was she taken, and how can they
Wendy
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Domestic thrillers are my favorite genre ever and this one is the perfect example of why. I seriously couldn't get enough of The Power Couple.

This novel introduces us to Rebecca and Brian Unsworth, an upper class couple living in a pretty house on the outskirts of DC with their two teenage kids, Kira and Tony. But Rebecca and Brian's marriage isn't actually doing so well, so they decide to take a family vacation in Europe to have some fun and revive their sex life.

The key here is that they don't
Carmen
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Unsworth works for the FBI and her husband, Brian, is a coder for the NSA. After the couple plans a European getaway in honor of their 20-year anniversary, their teenage daughter comes up missing in Barcelona. Rebecca’s first thought is that the kidnapping must have something to do with her job. But how? And why?

I have to admit that when I first began reading this novel, I wasn’t too crazy about it. Most of the characters aren’t particularly likeable or relatable. I continued reading for
Heather
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Simon Schuster and NetGalley for an ARC of this book. It is one of Berenson’s rare stand-alones. He also writes the John Wells series.

Brian and Rebecca (Becks) seem like they’re doing well. He codes for the NSA and she works for the FBI. But their marriage has stalled. So they decide to go on a European vacation and take their two teens, Kira and Tony.

All is fun and games until the night Kira doesn’t come home from a dance club. After a weekend of searching for her, Becks and Brian
Maryellen
Oct 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Alex Berenson is a very talented author of a successful series of suspense and espionage novels. This novel with twists and turns reminiscent of "Gone Girl" is a departure for him and doesn't quite pay off. Like "Gone Girl", the "Power Couple" is a two-person narrative starring Brian and Rebecca chronicling their first meeting, courtship, wedding, developing careers and child rearing throughtthrough twenty years of marriage. Rebecca is an esteemed FBI special agent that works on Russian counteri ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Every Last Fear
  • The Girls Are All So Nice Here
  • When the Stars Go Dark
  • Finlay Donovan Is Killing It
  • Madam
  • You Love Me (You, #3)
  • Mirrorland
  • Prodigal Son (Orphan X, #6)
  • The Last Thing He Told Me