Start by marking “Sweet & Bitter Magic” as Want to Read:
Sweet & Bitter Magic

Sweet & Bitter Magic

In this charming debut fantasy perfect for fans of Sorcery of Thorns and Girls of Paper and Fire, a witch cursed to never love meets a girl hiding her own dangerous magic, and the two strike a dangerous bargain to save their queendom.

Tamsin is the most powerful witch of her generation. But after committing the worst magical sin, she’s exiled by the ruling Coven and cursed
Published March 9th 2021 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Sweet & Bitter Magic, please sign up.

Start your review of Sweet & Bitter Magic
celeste
Jun 28, 2020 marked it as to-read
if this is not gay i'm suing

edit: this is, in fact, gay
Lucie V.
Jan 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm disappointed, to be honest. 😔

The summary of this book was so promising (and the cover is so pretty)! A love story between a bitter, cursed witch that can't love, and a girl that loves too much and a quest to defeat a villain, sounded amazing. Everything that's promised is in the story, but not everything is well executed.

The plot is fine, it focuses mainly on Tamsin and Wren as they learn to know each other, and as they discover what they are willing to do and sacrifice for their own well-b
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
March Owlcrate Unboxing. Click under the SPOILER to see the stuff. I’m going to be dropping my book boxes soon so y’all won’t have to see this stuff much longer. It’s just too much money and I don’t need or use half the stuff. This box does have some cool things and I will miss Owlcrate and FairyLoot but money for other things is more important. It will make me sad as I’ve been with my boxes for a few years and I’m sentimental. Sigh.... I already know the books for April and May so I will decide ...more
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: bi/pan mc, lesbian mc

ARC provided by the publisher. Review also on Reads Rainbow.

First word that comes to mind when trying to describe Sweet & Bitter Magic is: beautiful. Because the writing is beautiful, yes; it’s very poetic, it’s charming, it’s like those fairy tales your parents used to read you when you were kid only so much better. But also because of the kind of story it tells.

See, this is a story about love. Not a romance* – a story about love. Literally the only reason for the
ale ♡
Mar 21, 2021 marked it as on-hold
I'm here for the gay witches, yes

I'M SO EXCITED, YES

AND THAT COVER? UGH, I LOVE IT!!!
birdie
i feel like adrienne tooley just looked at a list of things birdie wants to see in a book and said “yes, let’s do all of the above.” this book hit me in all the good ways and despite being one of my most anticipated releases of 2021, it completely lived up to my enormously high expectations.

i also had the honour to INTERVIEW the author...it was a dream come true, honestly! you can read it here!

this is a story about love in every sense of the world and it just, like i said, touched me in all the
rin
Feb 26, 2019 marked it as maybe
"a cursed witch who must steal love from others meets a girl hiding her own dangerous secrets, and the two strike a love bargain with life-or-death consequences"

am i dreaming
tappkalina
The cover is so beautiful it made me tear up.
AJ
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publisher for sending an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

"Love is not something to be taken lightly."

I was thrilled when I received an arc from the publisher since this is a highly anticipated book and I see so many people talking about it! Although it wasn't as "amazing" as I'd hope, it was still a good story.

There wasn't as much action in the book as I was expecting after reading the synopsis and a lot of the magic was talked about more than acted out.
Ashley
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021, 2021march
Star Rating: —> 4.5 Stars

IMO, def lived up to expectations & I FREAKING LOVED THE HECK OUT OF IT!

______________
SO FREAKING EXCITED FOR THISSSSSSS
Jesse Ruth (Oracleofmadness)
Too much love can be dangerous, but too little love can be a curse.

I'd like to start by saying this book has a great map! If you know how I feel about maps then you know how important this is imo.

Tamsin is a witch and will cast spells for the citizens of her village for a very particular price: love. More specifically, the love that person feels for another. She does this because of a curse that took her ability to love, and Tamsin needs and desires to simply FEEL again.

Wren is the opposite of
Starr ❇✌❇
Mar 26, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: march, reviewed
3.5

As a magical plague sweeps the land, stealing the infected's memories before breaking their bodies, a powerful but disgraced witch and a sheltered and dutiful daughter must band together. Tasmin may be a powerful witch, but she was banished and cursed to never again feel love, only ever saddled with guilt and sadness. Wren just wants to save her father, a task she's devoted her entire life to- and one she's willing to give anything for, even the love for her father itself.

I have mixed feeling
Octavia
Thank you so much to the author, Adrienne Tooley, for sending me a review copy of this book!!

***

This book was everything I could’ve hoped for and MORE!

It was my most anticipated book release of the year, and when an ARC of it showed up on my doorstep, I nearly cried. And I nearly cried AGAIN once I finished it because it was absolutely phenomenal!

If you’re looking for a fresh, delightful fantasy standalone full of cursed witches, mysterious magic, and a wonderful sapphic romance, allow me to int
Vee
*slides in*

So.
I hear this is gay.
Sign me up, I am ready.

And that cover be lookin real nice.
Jessi  Joachim
Jan 31, 2021 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from NetGalley**

I really enjoyed this book. While it wasn't a new favorite or anything groundbreaking, it was a fun time with two characters that I enjoyed.

I really liked the idea of being cursed to not feel, but I think it was a difficult undertaking as there were inconsistent moments throughout the book.

I enjoyed the magic, especially since I am a sucker for when magic has consequences!

The "big bad" was an easy guess for me right from the beginning, but there was 1 moment
Adrienne Tooley
Aug 13, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
It's almost time for ARCs to make their way into the world, so I want to ensure readers are keeping themselves safe.

Content Warnings:

- frequent discussions and depictions of grief regarding loss of a loved one, including: death of a sibling, death of a parent, and death of a friend
- depictions of anxiety, depression, and mental illness
- emesis (mention of vomiting on page)
- brief mention of needles (tattooing)
- amnesia

If you've read this book and believe I've missed a warning of importance, pl
fanna
Jun 30, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-releases
July 01, 2020: This cover is sapphic AF yes, even though I know they're just holding hands but come on, they are HOLDING HANDS (!!!) and I'm all here for it. ...more
Gabriella
Oct 31, 2020 marked it as to-read
This cover is so beautiful I want to weep. I cannot stop staring at it. My god. Also the synopsis reeks of absolute perfection. I need to read this like, yesterday.
Carey Blankenship
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous and stunning debut from Adrienne, this book will sweep you right off your feet into a sweet a bitter world, ruled and cursed by witches. Bonus: it's hella gay.

If you're looking for a book filled with stunning prose, relatable and dynamic characters, a complex and emotional plot, and two ladies who take FOREVER to kiss but when they finally do it's everything you wanted and more, then look no further. Adrienne does a masterful job of rangling characters who practically leap off the pa
Kelly Quindlen
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, lgbt
Tamsin and Wren are my daughters forever. I have been lucky enough to read this book in several iterations as Adrienne brought it to life. It is charming and whimsical and sparkling with romantic tension. The characters are real, endearing, flawed, and believable. If you are hoping this is the sapphic witchy book of your dreams, then good news: It is.
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Jul 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss
hey now, don't let me down because this sounds absolutely wonderful ...more
Jamie
Mar 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this!

I'm not the biggest magic/fantasy fan overall, so this kind of book is outside of what I normally find myself reading any enjoying, but the blurb of this sounded so good, I knew I was making an exception when this book came out.

And it didn't disappoint! I was really into it. Tooley created a really interesting world that had lots of little detail and intricates to it that went in to how magic worked. It really sucked me in and I only wish there was even more detail!

I really
Alexa
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. This is the second book this year to blow me away, I loved it. I had all of my favorite tropes, I loved the characters and the romance was chef’s kiss. I normally don’t read fantasy standalone but I decided to give it a try because of the cover and because it’s gay. Best decision I’ve ever made. IF you haven’t read this book definitely give it a go.
Callie Keck
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-beta-reads
3.5 ✨✨✨

A beautiful sapphic, whimsical witchy read! These characters were relatable, funny, and the story line was fantastic!

Well done, Adrienne! Can't wait to read more from you!

Thank you for the ARC read, NetGalley! ✨✨
jade
how will i be able to wait eight months for this book!? i want it so badly :(
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Edelweiss.

This was stunning. RTC.
Brinley
I had super high hopes for this one, which might’ve been its downfall. I was expecting an action-filled witchy fantasy, and instead, I just got a long journey. I ended up skimming most of the middle of this, as not much was happening.

My favorite part of this was definitely the beginning. As soon as I opened the first page, I was in love with Tamsin. She was the perfect morally grey character! And her curse was so unique, and I really wanted to see how it played out. Sadly, her witchiness disapp
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
RTC for blog tour.

Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for my review copy.

• A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • Long Bright River
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Pretty Reckless (All Saints High, #1)
  • Ghosts of the Shadow Market
  • Orpheus Girl
  • If Not, Winter: Fragments of Sappho
  • Act Your Age, Eve Brown (The Brown Sisters, #3)
  • Forward: A Memoir
  • Women Talking
  • Excavation
  • The Starless Sea
  • Stealing Green Mangoes: Two Brothers, Two Fates, One Indian Childhood
  • Before and After the Book Deal: A Writer’s Guide to Finishing, Publishing, Promoting, and Surviving Your First Book
  • I Hope You Get This Message
Adrienne Tooley grew up in Southern California, majored in musical theater in Pittsburgh, and now lives in Brooklyn with her wife, six guitars, and a banjo. In addition to writing novels, she is a singer/songwriter who has currently released three indie-folk EPs. Find her @adriennetooley.

author photo by Sylvie Rosokoff

Articles featuring this book

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...
“Love is not something to be taken lightly.”
Tamsin laughed humorlessly, her expression wry. “I wouldn’t know.”
2 likes