Start by marking “Good Food, Bad Diet: The Habits You Need to Ditch Diet Culture, Lose Weight, and Fix Your Relationship with Food Forever” as Want to Read:

In this science-based book, registered dietitian Abby Langer tackles head-on the negative effects of diet culture and offers advice to help you enjoy food and lose weight without guilt or shame.

There are so many diets out there, but what if you want to eat well and lose weight without dieting, counting, or restricting? What if you want to love your body, not punish it? Reg
Published January 5th 2021 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Good Food, Bad Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Food, Bad Diet

Start your review of Good Food, Bad Diet: The Habits You Need to Ditch Diet Culture, Lose Weight, and Fix Your Relationship with Food Forever
Amanda
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a chronic dieter by any means. In fact, I don't even think I've ever been on a diet other than the "I'm going to try and eat healthier and only eat half of this butter tart" kind of diet but I've always struggled with the fact that I don't think I eat right. I've always felt like my diet somehow should improve or I should be ashamed that I am not purchasing all of the most up to date, fad foods. I truly never understood why society (social media) was telling me to eat a certain way when, ...more
Megan
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Must read! Real life talk about how to reframe thoughts about diet backed by scientific research not fads.
Shelly Seward
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is not a diet book!! I learned so much in this book. Including, I can drink coffee, as long as I realize what I’m putting in it. This book is making me think about what I’m eating and how to make healthier choices and not punish myself. I don’t need that celery juice(HA! I knew it all along!). We only have one life to live and we need to take care of ourselves, but we should still be enjoying what we eat.

Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Danielle
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book explained and demystified nutrition. I have been on a health journey since the pandemic began....may as well use the time wisely!! And have been struggling with the balance between diet and exercise. The days I workout it felt impossible to maintain my diet. I have been following the author on social media for quite some time and had been making small changes to my diet from reading her blog but the book just ties it all together.
Janet
Date reviewed/posted: November 14, 2020

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is once again closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and
Katya
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
I thoroughly enjoyed Abby's tone and the feeling of support I got from her words, which is hard to do through this medium. I also enjoyed her attitude and facts about the different macronutrients in her explanations of why we shouldn't fear or avoid any of them. It's refreshing and heart-warming. I want everyone to read her words and understand that all foods are good in different ways and when eaten in certain ways.

My only con is I don't know how she really envisions weight loss for those who
Sarah Loggia
Jan 07, 2021 rated it liked it
I want to thank Simon and Schuster Canada for providing me an advanced reader copy of this book!

I was excited to get to learn more about North American health and food culture. The author debunked so many food myths, and explains to her audience that it is okay to "stray off the path" from time to time. I appreciated her positive and open outlook. I do feel, however, that this book may not appeal to all readers. It is centred on certain diets, and for this reason, may be less intriguing to vegan
Amber
Apr 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Recently, I got roped into this weight loss program run through facebook. All of the products are insanely expensive and there aren't any ingredients listed, any weight loss plans, just, "give us your money and ask no questions..." Fortunately, I happen to be a smart cookie and I did a little research on the company and their program before I committed to anything. I found a review by an actual dietician which confirmed what I already believed to be true: it's a bunch of caffeine pills and place ...more
Sarah Butland
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I debated giving this book four stars but really, as I feel it's 4.5 star worthy I rounded up (she is Canadian afterall).

My hesitation was that this book didn't seem to give any direct instruction so, after reading it, I'm left wondering what to add to my grocery list. That being said, Langer addressed this exemption of a list because they tend to include a bizarre list of ingredients that don't fit everyone's tastes or budgets.

I do applaud this Canadian author for her brutal honesty and tell it
Amy Hageman
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With health-oriented books, I think it is important to know where you are coming from and if the book is a good fit. I am someone who has been off and on many stupid diets over the years in an effort to control my weight, has been trying to adapt more of an intuitive eating approach recently - and, perhaps consequently, medically probably does need to lose weight now.

This book is a great fit if you are trying to ditch crazy fad diets and focus on healthy eating. I loved the breakdown of researc
Lindsey Anderson
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for an early e-copy of Good Food, Bad Diet.

This book is about diet culture and the trouble behind it. Food is not the enemy and you should be able to eat what you want when you want, when you are hungry. This book debunks different myths about food that everyone has been taught.

This is a great book for people who might have a troubled relationship with food. It was easy to read and the author is a dietitian, so she is knowledgeable about what she is talkin
Andrea Keogh
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Don’t pass go. Stop and read this book!
This book should be mandatory reading. Abby is the straight up, gonna give it to you straight fact based friend we all need. In this diet trend social media crazed world this book is a revelation. Armed with this knowledge packed book you will break away from the diet culture voodoo mind set, eat well, be well. As Abby says “become a pencil not an eraser because you fit into this world the way you are”
Abby has your back
Frances Thomas
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author debunks a lot of myths about what to eat and how to lose weight. In fact, her focus is more on health than it is on weight loss. She gives permission to eat what you want with a caveat: you must learn to recognize true hunger. And you may have to lower your expectations about what weight is possible to sustain while still being able to enjoy life.

Lisa
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was ok
I felt there was nothing new in this book if you’ve spent any time researching (amateur Googling) about good nutrition. I was hoping for more practical steps to be outlined , but perhaps that goes against her whole premise of intuitive eating. It’s easy to understand language, but nothing I haven’t heard before.
Cathy
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Clarity from the health hype.
Tyla
Jordan Bulbrook
Apr 03, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mexican Gothic
  • All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
  • Bag Man: The Wild Crimes, Audacious Cover-Up, and Spectacular Downfall of a Brazen Crook in the White House
  • The Only Good Indians
  • White Ivy
  • The Intuitive Eating Workbook: Ten Principles for Nourishing a Healthy Relationship with Food
  • Body Kindness:  Transform Your Health from the Inside Out—and Never Say Diet Again
  • If I Knew Then: Finding Wisdom in Failure and Power in Aging
  • The Winemaker's Wife
  • The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
  • Anti-Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-Being, and Happiness Through Intuitive Eating
  • All Creatures Great and Small (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
  • The Push
  • First Comes Like (Modern Love, #3)
  • The Cider House Rules
  • Didn't See That Coming: Putting Life Back Together When Your World Falls Apart
  • Cujo
  • Body Respect: What Conventional Health Books Get Wrong, Leave Out, and Just Plain Fail to Understand about Weight