Start by marking “Do No Harm” as Want to Read:
Do No Harm

Do No Harm

Emma loves her life. She’s the mother of a precocious kindergartener, married to her soulmate—a loyal and loving police detective—and has a rewarding career as a doctor at the local hospital.

But everything comes crashing down when her son, Josh, is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

Determined to save him, Emma makes the risky decision to sell opioids to fund the life-sa
Published February 16th 2021 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Do No Harm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do No Harm

Start your review of Do No Harm
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Happy book birthday to this delicious, addictive, one of the best thriller books of the year🥳

Ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy Gooooooood! I’m telling you, my friends; this is not only so far best book of the author but it will be probably one of the best, thrillingly jaw dropping, action packed and extremely most exciting and anticipated novels of 2021! Yes, we have a great winner! Taaataaa!

And you have to cover your ears not to hear my screams after reading the last page because dear Christina McDonald
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY***

WOW, this novel blew me away!!! I loved everything about it, the unique plot, the well developed characters, the twists and turns, etc.

As you know from the blurb Emma is a doctor still paying off her school debt and her husband Nate is a police detective. They have one son, Josh who is the light of their lives. Josh is precocious, funny, smart and loves all things Star Wars. The couple had been very happy, although both a little overworked.

The day that Josh comes hom
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Updated review! Do No Harm is now available!!!

Hot Diggity Dang!!! I loved it, and I love Christina McDonald!! If you have not read this one, run to your device and get it now!!! It's one I recommend not to miss!!

Warning: You will need to put on your lounge pants and lock yourself away with your favorite beverage because once you start this page-turner, you will not want to be disturbed! Well except maybe by this unforgettable story!!

As a doctor, Emma has been taught to "do no harm," but what if
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
A medical thriller with a unique storyline that kept me intrigued from start to finish?! Yes please! Wow! I loved The Night Olivia Fell and I loved this book also. This book will have you questioning your judgement of right from wrong....trust me you will! Would you do what Emma did? Sometimes it is just a gray area...

A doctor, a wife, a mother...Emma is all...mostly she is a human being and she has to do what her entire soul is telling her to do...save her child....even if her husband is a dete
Debra
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
How far will one woman go to save her child? How far would you go?

Emma is a happily married doctor with a young son. She has everything she wants in life. She is happy, she has a good job and loves being a mother. But then her son, Josh gets sick and is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

Insurance is great when it pays. But first there are deductibles, co-pays and procedures that insurance may or may not pay for. Stress upon stress is the last thing parents need when a child is ill. This aspe
Gabby
Huge thanks to Gallery Books for the ARC!
This thriller was intense, this is my first book from this author and I'm definitely interested in reading more books from her! This thriller follows a doctor who's son has been diagnosed with cancer, her and her husband (who is a detective) can't afford the treatment for him, so she begins to steal oxy from the hospital to sell on the streets.

This book has major Breaking Bad vibes, in the sense that it follows a parent who will do absolutely anything to
Jayme
Does the end ever justify the means?

This is the theme that author Christina McDonald, in this, her third novel, explores.

A mother would do anything to save her child.

ANYTHING

So, when Emma, a DR at a local hospital, discovers that her son, Josh, has a rare form of childhood Leukemia, she makes the difficult and risky decision to sell Opioids, to pay for an experimental treatment not covered by Insurance.

That choice drags her into the dark world of drugs...and into a case that her husband Nate,
DeAnn
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
4.5 oxycontin stars (rounded up) -- now available!

How far would you go to save the life of your son? What would you do to raise $100,000 in one month so that he could have a lifesaving procedure? You still have medical school bills, you own no assets so you can’t get a loan, and you can’t get this much on your credit cards.

This is just the dilemma that Dr. Emma Sweeney faces with her son Josh. This sweet and beloved Star Wars fan has just gotten a cancer diagnosis. A revolutionary treatment will
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-soft-copy
Quick thoughts: It’s no secret I’ve been a fan of Christina McDonald’s books since The Night Olivia Fell. She infuses emotion and sensitivity in her stories in a genuine way, and Do No Harm is no exception.

Emma is a doctor, and her young son needs a live-saving treatment, an astronomically expensive treatment. Emma will sacrifice everything and finds herself on a slippery slope.

Do No Harm is a quick page-turner, and I’m on pins and needles waiting for McDonald’s next book!

I received a gifted c
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Do No Harm is very intense in a good way. There are so many lies and manipulations throughout the book. Do No Harm shows how easy it is to start an addiction and the effects of addiction. Emma will do anything to save her son which makes her no longer worry about right and wrong. Emma reconnects with people from her past in order to sell opiods. Do No Harm is emotional, thrilling, and thought provoking. Not only was Do No Harm an enjoyable read, I also feel like I learned about human nature and ...more
Mary Kubica
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An intense, emotionally-charged wild ride! I've loved Christina McDonald's previous books, but this might be her best yet. Must read. ...more
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
Review to follow. Great medical thriller!
Kimberly Belle
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
McDonald takes the heart-wrenching premise that has become her trademark and ratchets it up a notch in Do No Harm, blurring the lines between good and evil in a doctor desperate to save her sick child. A gripping, emotional roller coaster with a sting in the tail.
Dana
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copies
All the stars for Christina McDonald's Do No Harm! This medical thriller is a must read.

How far would you go to save your child? Would you be willing to risk everything?

These are the questions Emma faces when her son Josh is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. Along with this diagnosis comes a heavy financial burden in the form of medical bills. Expenses that far exceed what she, a doctor, and her husband, a detective, can afford.

And because of this, Emma's moral compass is challenged...

I was

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
debbicat *made of stardust*
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"The lies were woven around me, a spider's web, swirling, tightening. I was becoming more and more entangled. I didn't know how to get out."

Emma and Nate...happy and loving parents to 5-year-old Josh. Emma is a doctor and Nate a detective. Their life is pretty close to perfect and you feel a little jealous of that perfectness early on...but then...

Josh gets a shocking diagnosis of cancer and the hospital needs like 100K to treat him. Emma and Nate do not even have savings; they are renting a ho
Judy D Collins
Go behind the scenes DO NO HARM and the author. Check out my fun and fascinating Elevator Ride with the Author Interview

HOLY MOLY! "A stellar work of psychological suspense that will leave you breathless."

From the author of The Night Olivia Felland Behind Every Lie comes another brilliantly crafted psychological thriller that will keep you guessing from the first page— (love her prologues) to the explosive jaw-dropping ending.

"Does the END justify the means?

Set in the small town of Skama
Kendall
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Wow this one definitely gets your heart pumping!

I read Christina's debut novel The Night Olivia Fell and was instantly in love with her writing. Do No Harm is another thriller that will leave you wanting more from Christina!

McDonald definitely shakes the lines up between good and evil in a doctor who is desperate to save her child.

Do No Harm is a gripping and emotional wild ride! I am looking forward to what Christina McDonald will be writing next :).

Thank you so much to Gallery/Scouts Press
Jayne
Feb 19, 2021 rated it liked it
I am a huge Christina McDonald fan and, therefore, my expectations for Christina McDonald's newest book were sky-high.

Although this book was very well written and brought needed attention to our country's ongoing opioid crisis, this not-so-thrilling "thriller" was a disappointment.

On the positive side, DO NO HARM's "What would you do to save your son?" premise was very, very compelling. Also, I really loved all of the ironies that comprised the book's core: Without telling her police detective h
Samantha Kelley
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-favorites
Happy publication day!!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Thank you to Netgalley & Gallery books for the chance to read and review an early copy of McDonald’s new thriller, Do No Harm out 2/12!

“No one action defines us - it’s the journey that determines if we’re a good person or not.”

This book is GOOD! It’s so unique in its premise of following a female doctor, married to a detective, who decides to get into the opioid dealing business to pay for her son’s cancer treatment and life.

This book really goes into what is
ReadingTilTheBreakOfDawn
"Sometimes we have to do the wrong thing for the right reasons."

OMG! This is the third book I've read by Christina McDonald and I appreciate all of her stories for different reasons. But this book....What an intense and wild ride! I couldn’t put it down!

What would you do for your child? How far would you go to this side of illegal?
Do No Harm answers these questions along with so many others that we are forced to deal with in America and intertwines it into a well told and fast paced emotional p
Suzy
Feb 08, 2021 added it
Incredible! Review to come.
Robyn Harding
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping page-turner with a heartwrenching moral quandary at its core. Christina McDonald writes from the heart about the devastating consequences of addiction, and the power of maternal love. DO NO HARM is tense, moving, and disturbingly relevant. I devoured it!
Kathleen
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As a mother, the thing that terrifies me most is learning one of my children has a potentially fatal illness — so this book really hit home for me, and made me wonder how far *I* would go to save my child’s life. DO NO HARM is both heart-wrenching and thrill-packed, and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough.
Susan Peterson
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first time I ever cried while reading a suspense novel was when I read The Night Olivia Fell, Christina McDonald's debut novel. In her latest novel, she has done it again--written a novel which is a jaw-dropping, tense thriller that is also heart-wrenching and emotional. She has given us a story that you can't put down, with nonstop action and deep dark secrets and deception. At the same time, we are introduced to characters who are suffering, who wedge their way into our hearts, who we hope ...more
Kristy
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
A dark look into how far a mother would go to save her child

After a tough childhood, where she was orphaned and spent time in foster care, Emma finally has the life she's always wanted. A successful doctor, she has a loving husband, Nate, and a young son, Josh. But that all stands to change when Josh, who is only five, is diagnosed with leukemia. Even with her hospital insurance, Josh's potential life-saving treatment will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Determined to save Josh no matter
Lisa
Feb 08, 2021 rated it liked it
A SUSPENSEFUL THRILLER ABOUT THE LENGTHS A MOTHER WILL GO TO SAVE HER CHILD

SUMMARY
Emma Sweeney a physician, is happily married to her police detective husband, Nate. Together they dote on their adorable five-year-old son, Josh. But their idyllic life crumbles when Josh is diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia. Insurance will not cover the cost of treatment and they are turned down for a loan. Determined to save Josh, Emma believes the only way to raise enough cash is to sell opioids and forge
Tamara
Review to come.

Quick thoughts:

This book makes you question SO many things. Yes, drugs are bad. No, people should not be selling drugs. But a cancer medicine to save your son's life shouldn't cost 100,000 dollars. People in real and terrible pain shouldn't have to find a street corner to buy drugs at.

SO..... there is all that. This book takes a lot of black and white scenarios and mixes them up into lots of gray.

Good read and good plot!
Amanda (THE CAFFEINATED READER)
The question: what would you do to save your child’s life?
My answer: the limit does not exist.

Emma, Nate and Josh are an adorable family. Emma’s an emergency room Dr., Nate a police officer, they are still madly in love. Which is a beautiful part of the story. I loved the way they spoke about each other.

They have a five year-old son named Josh. Center of their world, as any child is to their parents.

Everything comes crashing down when Josh is diagnosed with leukemia and insurance won’t cover h
Laura • lauralovestoread
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021
I’ve been a fan of Christina McDonald since first reading The Night Olivia Fell, but this is my fave so far. I just loved the whole storyline and twists. A lot of action and it definitely hit my “momma heart” feeling empathy towards a Mom that just wants to save her son and pay for treatment.

*many thanks to Gallery Books for the gifted copy

• When the Stars Go Dark
  • Her Dark Lies
  • Malibu Rising
About this author
Christina McDonald is the USA Today bestselling author of Do No Harm, Behind Every Lie and The Night Olivia Fell, which has been optioned for television by a major Hollywood studio. Originally from Seattle, Washington, she now lives in London, England, with her husband, two sons, and their dog, Tango.

Professional Reader