Start by marking “Do No Harm” as Want to Read:
Do No Harm

Do No Harm

Emma loves her life. She’s the mother of a precocious kindergartener, married to her soulmate—a loyal and loving police detective—and has a rewarding career as a doctor at the local hospital.

But everything comes crashing down when her son, Josh, is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

Determined to save him, Emma makes the risky decision to sell opioids to fund the life-sa
Published February 16th 2021 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Do No Harm, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Lisa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Susie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Do No Harm
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Happy book birthday to this delicious, addictive, one of the best thriller books of the year🥳

Ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy Gooooooood! I’m telling you, my friends; this is not only so far best book of the author but it will be probably one of the best, thrillingly jaw dropping, action packed and extremely most exciting and anticipated novels of 2021! Yes, we have a great winner! Taaataaa!

And you have to cover your ears not to hear my screams after reading the last page because dear Christina McDonald
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***SO RELEVANT TO THE OPIOD CRISIS, BOTH SIDES OF THE ISSUE***

WOW, this novel blew me away!!! I loved everything about it, the unique plot, the well developed characters, the twists and turns, etc.

As you know from the blurb Emma is a doctor still paying off her school debt and her husband Nate is a police detective. They have one son, Josh who is the light of their lives. Josh is precocious, funny, smart and loves all things Star Wars. The couple had been very happy, although both a little over
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
UDATE: Christina McDonald has joined us for a Spoiler free Q & A in our Behind the Page Group

Hot Diggity Dang!!! I loved it, and I love Christina McDonald!! If you have not read this one, run to your device and get it now!!! It's one I recommend not to miss!!

Warning: You will need to put on your lounge pants and lock yourself away with your favorite beverage because once you start this page-turner, you will not want to be disturbed! Well except maybe by this unforgettable story!!

As a doctor, Em
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
A medical thriller with a unique storyline that kept me intrigued from start to finish?! Yes please! Wow! I loved The Night Olivia Fell and I loved this book also. This book will have you questioning your judgement of right from wrong....trust me you will! Would you do what Emma did? Sometimes it is just a gray area...

A doctor, a wife, a mother...Emma is all...mostly she is a human being and she has to do what her entire soul is telling her to do...save her child....even if her husband is a dete
Debra
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
How far will one woman go to save her child? How far would you go?

Emma is a happily married doctor with a young son. She has everything she wants in life. She is happy, she has a good job and loves being a mother. But then her son, Josh gets sick and is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.

Insurance is great when it pays. But first there are deductibles, co-pays and procedures that insurance may or may not pay for. Stress upon stress is the last thing parents need when a child is ill. This aspe
Sheyla ✎
What will a mother do for her kid?

Will she donate an organ?

Will she give her child away to give her or him a better life?

Will she sell her body to earn money to bring food to the table?

Or will she sell opiates to pay for a medical treatment that is cost-prohibitive?

The last one is exactly the scenario Dr. Emma Sweeney is living.

Emma has only wanted one thing since her parents died: to have a family. Meeting Nate and having their son, Josh has been the best thing that happened to her. She lov
Dr. Appu Sasidharan

(Throwback Review) Christina McDonald tells us the story of Emma, a doctor at the local hospital, and her husband, a police detective. They have a son named Josh, who is a kindergartener. After the difficult period of residency, Emma is now settling down as a consultant in a hospital. Their life is flowing peacefully like a mellifluous song. When one day their son is diagnosed with cancer, the whole balance of the family is lost.

The author has perfectly crafted this story to show us how a s
Gabby
Huge thanks to Gallery Books for the ARC!
This thriller was intense, this is my first book from this author and I'm definitely interested in reading more books from her! This thriller follows a doctor who's son has been diagnosed with cancer, her and her husband (who is a detective) can't afford the treatment for him, so she begins to steal oxy from the hospital to sell on the streets.

This book has major Breaking Bad vibes, in the sense that it follows a parent who will do absolutely anything to
Jayme
Does the end ever justify the means?

This is the theme that author Christina McDonald, in this, her third novel, explores.

A mother would do anything to save her child.

ANYTHING

So, when Emma, a DR at a local hospital, discovers that her son, Josh, has a rare form of childhood Leukemia, she makes the difficult and risky decision to sell Opioids, to pay for an experimental treatment not covered by Insurance.

That choice drags her into the dark world of drugs...and into a case that her husband Nate,
Carolyn
I’m feeling somewhat conflicted about reviewing this book. It has rave reviews from so many reviewers who I would normally concur with, but the basic premise and the main character's behaviour just didn’t feel right to me. If you haven’t read the book yet, you might want to do so before reading my comments so you can form your own views first.

This is what the publisher’s summary tells us: Emma is a doctor at a local clinic, married to a detective with with a four year old son called Josh. When
DeAnn
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
4.5 oxycontin stars (rounded up) -- now available!

How far would you go to save the life of your son? What would you do to raise $100,000 in one month so that he could have a lifesaving procedure? You still have medical school bills, you own no assets so you can’t get a loan, and you can’t get this much on your credit cards.

This is just the dilemma that Dr. Emma Sweeney faces with her son Josh. This sweet and beloved Star Wars fan has just gotten a cancer diagnosis. A revolutionary treatment will
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-soft-copy
Quick thoughts: It’s no secret I’ve been a fan of Christina McDonald’s books since The Night Olivia Fell. She infuses emotion and sensitivity in her stories in a genuine way, and Do No Harm is no exception.

Emma is a doctor, and her young son needs a live-saving treatment, an astronomically expensive treatment. Emma will sacrifice everything and finds herself on a slippery slope.

Do No Harm is a quick page-turner, and I’m on pins and needles waiting for McDonald’s next book!

I received a gifted c
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Do No Harm is very intense in a good way. There are so many lies and manipulations throughout the book. Do No Harm shows how easy it is to start an addiction and the effects of addiction. Emma will do anything to save her son which makes her no longer worry about right and wrong. Emma reconnects with people from her past in order to sell opiods. Do No Harm is emotional, thrilling, and thought provoking. Not only was Do No Harm an enjoyable read, I also feel like I learned about human nature and ...more
Mary Kubica
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An intense, emotionally-charged wild ride! I've loved Christina McDonald's previous books, but this might be her best yet. Must read. ...more
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
Review to follow. Great medical thriller!
Catherine Woodward
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
It's this system. Our medical system. It's failing all of us.

Emma is in the medical field for all the right reasons. After the tragic passing of her parents, she wants to give back, to help, and to save lives. Becoming a doctor has given her so much, and police detective husband Nate and son Josh help round out her life, giving her a happiness she only dreamed possible. This picture-perfect suburban life comes crashing down around her when Josh is dealt a heavy hand: he has been diagnosed w
Jayne
Feb 19, 2021 rated it liked it
I am a huge Christina McDonald fan and, therefore, my expectations for Christina McDonald's newest book were sky-high.

Although this book was very well written and brought needed attention to our country's ongoing opioid crisis, this not-so-thrilling "thriller" was disappointing.

On the positive side, DO NO HARM's "What would you do to save your son?" premise was very, very compelling. Also, I really loved all of the ironies that comprised the book's core: Without telling her police detective husb
Kimberly Belle
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
McDonald takes the heart-wrenching premise that has become her trademark and ratchets it up a notch in Do No Harm, blurring the lines between good and evil in a doctor desperate to save her sick child. A gripping, emotional roller coaster with a sting in the tail.
Margitte
I'm so between a rock and a hard place about this novel.

Emma, a struggling doctor, married to Ned, a detective, makes the decision to sell opioids to save their little son struggling with leukemia.

The novel is well written, with elements of suspense and surprise weaving through the plot. The young Josh provides the emotional cord to all the role players as well as the readers and act as the glue to keep the fast-paced thriller heading towards an unexpected denouement.

The most important question
Dana
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copies
All the stars for Christina McDonald's Do No Harm! This medical thriller is a must read.

How far would you go to save your child? Would you be willing to risk everything?

These are the questions Emma faces when her son Josh is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. Along with this diagnosis comes a heavy financial burden in the form of medical bills. Expenses that far exceed what she, a doctor, and her husband, a detective, can afford.

And because of this, Emma's moral compass is challenged...

I was
Catherine McKenzie
Fast paced

My heart was in my throat through the trusts and turns and bade decisions the characters made up until the shocking end.
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Oh my goodness - this book was amazing!! It was so addictive and really tugged at the heart strings. Makes you think about what you would do in the same situation. I was hooked right from the start and the ending - wow!! The narrators were fantastic too
Suzy
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Wow. Just wow! Christina McDonald has knocked it out of the park again with this one.

How far would you go to save your child? I could not get enough of this book. It was super addictive and had me hooked from the get go.

Emma is a doctor at the local hospital and happily married to a police detective. When their five year old son Josh is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, they are obviously devastated. There’s hope - but the life-saving treatment he needs is very expensive -
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
May 02, 2020 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: thriller, adult, mystery
A MEDICAL THRILLER FROM CHRISTINA MCDONALD OMG I'M SO EXICTED

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
debbicat *made of stardust*
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"The lies were woven around me, a spider's web, swirling, tightening. I was becoming more and more entangled. I didn't know how to get out."

Emma and Nate...happy and loving parents to 5-year-old Josh. Emma is a doctor and Nate a detective. Their life is pretty close to perfect and you feel a little jealous of that perfectness early on...but then...

Josh gets a shocking diagnosis of cancer and the hospital needs like 100K to treat him. Emma and Nate do not even have savings; they are renting a ho
Judy D Collins
Go behind the scenes DO NO HARM and the author. Check out my fun and fascinating Elevator Ride with the Author Interview

HOLY MOLY! "A stellar work of psychological suspense that will leave you breathless."

From the author of The Night Olivia Felland Behind Every Lie comes another brilliantly crafted psychological thriller that will keep you guessing from the first page— (love her prologues) to the explosive jaw-dropping ending.

"Does the END justify the means?

Set in the small town of Skama
Kendall
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Wow this one definitely gets your heart pumping!

I read Christina's debut novel The Night Olivia Fell and was instantly in love with her writing. Do No Harm is another thriller that will leave you wanting more from Christina!

McDonald definitely shakes the lines up between good and evil in a doctor who is desperate to save her child.

Do No Harm is a gripping and emotional wild ride! I am looking forward to what Christina McDonald will be writing next :).

Thank you so much to Gallery/Scouts Press
Melike
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I won the book in a giveaway.

I found the plot not realistic at all. It all seemed too convenient with Emma, a doctor, being married to a cop who investigates Emma's brother in a drug-related case, and of course, Emma is in the middle of all that since she decided to sell drugs to be able to pay for her son's cancer treatment. So melodramatic and full of unlikeable characters with Emma being the worst of them all. I loathed this woman.

Stephanie
All I can say about Christina McDonald's newest book, Do No Harm, is WOW! She slayed it with this book! I loved both The Night Olivia Fell and Behind Every Lie, but this book is her best yet! It's a medical thriller/family drama that has you questioning what would you do in Emma's shoes? Just how far would you go to save your son's life?

Somethings are not always morally and ethically absolutes, black and white, but there are millions of shades of gray in between when deciding what is right and
Amanda Pemberton
Feb 27, 2021 rated it did not like it
Wow! This book was terrible. The entire thing was terrible. I'm not sure why I read the entire book. I kept hoping it would get better. Let me save you the trouble: it does not get better, it gets worse. ...more
Holly's Book Club...: Do No Harm 2 4 Jun 02, 2021 05:15AM

• Every Last Fear
  • Addictarium
  • What Lies Between Us
  • Her Dark Lies
  • Unfaithful
  • The Girls Are All So Nice Here
  • Black Buck
  • Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
  • The Holiday
  • Mother May I
  • The Perfect Daughter
  • Cold as Ice (Lucy Kincaid #17)
  • Girls with Bright Futures
  • Every Vow You Break
  • Cobble Hill
  • Point of Danger (Triple Threat, #1)
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
See top shelves…
About this author
Christina McDonald is the USA Today bestselling author of Do No Harm, Behind Every Lie and The Night Olivia Fell, which has been optioned for television by a major Hollywood studio. Originally from Seattle, Washington, she now lives in London, England, with her husband, two sons, and their dog, Tango.

Professional Reader