Start by marking “Prepped” as Want to Read:

Prepped

For fans of Jeff Zentner and Katie Henry comes a thrilling and funny debut about a teen raised in a doomsday community who plots her escape with the boy from the bunker next door.

Always be ready for the worst day of your life.

This is the mantra that Becca Aldaine has grown up with. Her family is part of a community of doomsday preppers, a neighborhood that prioritizes surv
Published February 23rd 2021 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Prepped, please sign up.
Jason
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rule of Wolves by Leigh BardugoChain of Iron by Cassandra ClareLore by Alexandra BrackenWe Free the Stars by Hafsah FaizalWings of Ebony by J. Elle
YA Novels of 2021
789 books — 2,699 voters
Wings of Ebony by J. ElleMina and the Undead by Amy McCawLast One to Die by Cynthia MurphyNecropolis by Bethan  EvansThe Girl Who... by Andreina Cordani
YA Debuts 2021
88 books — 293 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Prepped
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
This is probably the most unique book I've ever read - doomsday community, where family shouldn't always come first, a teen trying to escape the ludicrousy of her life.

- Follows Becca, a white-American teen whose family is part of a doomsday community, and desperately wants to escape, especially when things start to get serious when tragedy strikes.
- This book explores doomsday communities. I have to admit, I don't know much about them, but it was interesting to imagine how they may function, t
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
How I read this: Free ebook copy received from publicist

This book was so good!!! I don’t even know where to start. I wish I could write a better review for Prepped – cause it was amazing and it deserves it. But all I have is this bundle of emotion in my heart after finishing it, and I can’t translate it into words! It was so MUCH, and it was about so many things – abusive households, fanaticism, people not caring – but also love, caring for your close ones, fighting for your future, belief in th
✧ Emily ✧
May 15, 2022 rated it liked it
3 stars?

I don't know how to feel about this one. I've read absolutely nothing like it.

Rtc
Crystal Zavala
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jks-booksforward
4.5⭐

I am absolutely fascinated with communes, cults, and fringe communities. In Prepped, Becca is a teenager who has grown up in a doomsday community. She was raised there, her parents were raised there, and her grandparents were founding members. He daily routine includes role-playing catastrophic accidents like drowning and car accidents. Becca is one of the few children in the community who are not homeschooled and go to public school. She cannot wait to graduate and leave for college.

When he
Jess
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
PREPPED is an intense book that stuck with me long after I turned the last page. Thank you to Books Forward PR and Simon & Schuster for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!

If you’re looking for a fast-paced contemporary YA book that has you on the edge of your seat, I’d highly recommend this. It’s also a satisfying and unexpected book with moral dilemmas within.

Our main character Becca Aldridge has grown up in a doomsday prepper community. She attends your average suburban high school, but
Jill Williamson
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Prepped by Bethany Mangle tells the story of a girl named Becca who has grown up in a community of doomsday preppers. Her father, her mother, and their entire neighborhood pride themselves on prioritizing survivalist training over anything else. They’ve even arranged Becca’s marriage to her neighbor Roy Kang. The thing is, Becca wants out. She wants to go to college and study physics. When Roy suggests they run away together, Becca wants to leave, but she can't leave her sister behind to be brai ...more
Maureen
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a great YA book! Funny at times, but also quite heartbreaking.

Becca and Roy are about to graduate from high school, they've got their whole lives ahead of them. But they've grown up in a community of doomsday preppers and they have no say in their future. So what do they do? Plan to run away, of course! I really liked these two characters and their relationship. Their lives were anything but ordinary, and yet they still had very ordinary teenage feelings and emotions. It was fun to see
jaden eve :)
Apr 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
honestly I really liked the concept of this book, but I think in execution it fell a little flat.

I think I would've enjoyed this book a lot more, and it would've been more impactful if it was told in third person and split between both roy and Becca. I didn't feel very connected to Roy, but I think if we had been placed in third person it would've been better to connect with him. I always felt very distant from the characters.

I also would've liked to see more of the friendships. It felt like s
Lillie Lainoff
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*ARC Review*
It's been a long, long time since I've read a book in one sitting... but I devoured Prepped over the course of one late morning/early afternoon! The story moves at a quick pace, the voice is strong, and, above all, I absolutely adored the depiction of the lengths a sister will go to for her younger sibling.
kim
Apr 07, 2022 rated it really liked it
3.5 ⭐️ rounded

"The apocalypse is supposed to be the literal destruction of the planet, an existential ignition point that renders us all down to bleached bones, fragments in space. I dispute that definition. The true end of the world, of my world, is losing the ones I love."

You know what? We got a cute cover and an interesting plot.

This story started out a little boring, I won't lie. It really took a while for things to kick in, even when the start of the book was a bit unexpected. Once my int
USOM
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I need to read more survivalist stories because not only is it intriguing for me, but I find the conflict between preparation and life fascinating. The ways it tries to prepare for all outcomes, to teach skills we might need, and, in some aspects, the fears it stokes. The ways we see danger and risk in daily situations, fear in the 'simple' things. Where Prepped excels is creating th
Kathleen Brunnett
Jul 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
YA: Many things about this book will appeal to high school readers and beyond. Just the premise of doomsday preppers will catch the attention of most. Throw in teenage issues, adult issues, and a bit of romance and you have a captivating story. Hoping beyond hope there is a sequel.
Samantha (WLABB)
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Becca was a third generation doomsday prepper, who was determined to escape this life. She had a plan and all the pieces were falling into place, but after tragedy strikes, would she be able to leave her little sister behind?

This book was wild! That's the best way I can think to describe it. If I wasn't laughing, I was shaking my head in disbelief or trying to calm my racing heart. I found myself throughly entertained and engrossed in this story from beginning to end as I exper
Sue
Jul 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a breakneck ride of a story! Read it! It's great!

Although the Doomsday cult in the story goes to what I consider ridiculous and harmful extremes, this novel did make me think about the concept of preparation, of being prepared to deal with unexpected events. But how much preparation is too much, to the point where we stop living in the present?

In this novel, the teen main characters want to escape their restrictive cult upbringing. Becca is a gifted student, who is hoping for a full-ride t
Elise
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2021

This was excellent! It doesn’t read like a debut novel at all. I was immediately drawn into the world of Becca and Roy and rooting for them to escape their doomsday prepper community the entire time.

The pacing of this book was on point. I read this in two days and there was never a lull in the action. But even though there was a lot of things happening, Bethany Mangle was still able to create an emotional connection between the reader and the characters.

The only thing I wish is that th
Sandra "Jeanz"
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021
The cover of this book is what initially caught my eye. It looks like the cover of an old instruction training manual. The bright orange colour will certainly make it stand out on a book store shelf.

This book is about preppers, but not in an actual catastrophic situation. This is a group of people who believe the end is coming and they are preparing for any and every eventuality. Their motto is "Always be ready for the worst day of your life". The leader of the prepping community that all live i
Nursebookie
Mar 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
By Bethany Mangle

Thank you to Bethany Mangle for providing me an ecopy of this book.

This was a great YA read I enjoyed about a family of doomsday preppers that is centered around Becca Aldaine and her family of extreme survivalists. The family is so prepared that even Becca's future marriage is planned to a tee. Little does everyone know, Becca has plans of skipping all of this when she gets accepted to college. But like all well laid plans, there is just no guarantee in life no matter ho
Divya
Oct 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is around 3.5 stars for me. The concept is really unique, and the story progressed in a way I wasn’t expecting. There were some parts that seem rushed — especially with the final third of the novel — and I specifically would have loved to see Roy’s character develop a little more. Overall though I thought it was super engaging and dealt with some serious, not often talked about topics. I am pretty curious though as to around what year this takes place because some of these clothing choices ...more
Fanna
Aug 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-releases
August 21, 2020: I don't know what to say except that this book sounds really cool. I mean, thrillers that are funny? YES ...more
Reading Our Shelves
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angie-s-shelf
Full review at: https://readingourshelves.com/2021/01...

I was not prepared for how poignant, tense, and frustrating this novel was going to be! The kids in this community literally exist to keep the species going, and calling the parents “detached” would be an understatement.

Thankfully, this story is fictional. But, like any good piece of fiction, the emotions it brings up are very real.

The heroine here is Becca Adlaine, whose parents run the aforementioned prepper community. She is a high schoo
E.J. Dawson
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
There’s being prepared for the end of the world, and then there’s being prepared for the end of your world.
Becca’s cynical resistance to her parents brainwashing doomsday philosophy strolls right past parental resentment into a full blown secret plan to flee to college on a scholarship and leave it all behind. But she can’t. Not when her Dad has an accident that leaves him in a coma, her mother doesn’t seem to care, and her little sister Katie starts to believe in the fear.
Becca’s plans for the
Jessica
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Always be ready for the worst day of your life is the mantra that Becca Aldaine has grown up with. Her family are the leaders of a community of doomsday preppers in an exclusive neighborhood that prioritizes survivalist training over the norms of everyday school life, like class trips and senior prom. They’ve gone so far as to arrange Becca’s future marriage with Roy Kang, the only eligible boy in their community. Becca doesn’t have the heart to tell Roy or anyone around her that she can’t stay ...more
Michelle
Apr 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Bethany Mangle
⭐️⭐️⭐️
McElderry Books
2/23/21

“Maybe I didn’t want to be safe. Maybe I just wanted to be happy.”

Prepped was our book choice for the #PhoenixIRLBookClub for the months of March/April. The synopsis was really intriguing: doomsday preppers, arranged marriages, special training, devastating accident. So many things you could want from a book, especially if you’re into the zombie type apocalypse stuff.

So Prepped follows Becca, who was born into a doomsday prepper family, I mean he
Nikki Tewes
Jun 06, 2022 rated it really liked it

Prepped follows Becca as she navigates having her own identity while living in a doomsday prepping community. Her parents are very detached and honestly neglectful, so she’s become very independent. One thing her parents have taught her is that love makes you weak. Love is a pointless feeling and she’s struggled to have any meaningful relationships in her life. That is besides her sister, whom she’d do anything for.

Becca’s parents grew up in this prepping community and they were paired up for “
Britney
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Prepped was a really interesting book to me. I thought that the synopsis says that Becca and Roy leave their community right away, but I was surprised when it didn’t happen at the beginning.

Sometimes I don’t really like the will they, won’t they trope, but in this case it worked. I think it was because it wasn’t for the romantic relationship, but for whether or not they were going to leave the community. I really like the relationship between Becca and her little sister. Their relationship kind
Amy
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a DRC of this title for review. All opinions are my own.

When I added this to my Goodreads shelves, I realized I didn't really know how to categorize it. Yes, it's realistic fiction, but it is also about the reality of being a doomsday prepper, which doesn't really fit with all of my other "realistic fiction" stories. But I didn't want to add a "fanatics" shelf, so here we are.

This was a funny, moving story that had moments of brill
Nikitha
Feb 27, 2022 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. The concept is really unique, and it was a very captivating read.

I wish we got a prologue where we could see how the community itself was started, or we could see the parents relationship to each other. And an epilogue just so we could see how the characters are doing after a couple of years.

I liked Roy, he’s cool, but I would have liked to know more about his backstory or his thoughts throughout the book.

Becca is everything you could ask for in a strong female lead
Kristen
Jul 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
In Bethany Mangle's Prepped, this stellar YA contemporary romance debut is so riveting and scintillating to hook you on the first page. All Rebecca Aldaine ever wanted was to graduate high school and then attend Carnegie Mellon University. But life wasn't easy when she lived in Tinker Peaks (aka Tin Peas), and part of a Doomsday prepper community that she grew up in. For eighteen-year-old, she learned drills on how to survive in various situations with her family and other neighbors. Besides tha ...more
Candi
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting tale of a teenage girl named Becca brought up to be a doomsday survivalist. Her parents, especially father, are strict diehard doomsday preppers. They live in a community of isolationists. The children live in a existence in which their daily lives and activities are not the usual as everyone else. Becca is anxious to get away from this life by anticipating going to college which is her only escape.

This is a different storyline through the perspective of a young girl. One can only i
Ellie Risinger
Jan 04, 2021 rated it liked it
This book was more interesting than I expected and I was pretty into the storyline. I could NOT get invested in the characters, however. Just when I would be getting attached, the personality of the character would abruptly change. At one point, the sweet, trusting, innocent litttle sister turned into a full-fledged doomsday prepper herself. Just about every other character had a similar personality replacement as well. That and other things (the main character’s dad died without her knowing for ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1)
  • Ready Player Two (Ready Player One, #2)
  • Grown
  • Firekeeper's Daughter
  • Until November (Until, #1)
  • Revenge of the Sluts
  • I Got It!
  • Are We There Yet?
  • My One and Only
  • Between Perfect and Real
  • Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
  • Did My Love Life Shrink in the Wash? (The Callaghan Sisters, #3)
  • Radiant Child: The Story of Young Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat
Bethany Mangle writes young adult contemporary fiction, but her tastes as a reader are extremely varied. She has a particular love of fantasy and science fiction. When she isn't writing, she enjoys baking questionable cakes and spoiling her dog.

Her debut novel, PREPPED, was published in 2021. Her second, ALL THE RIGHT REASONS, releases Spring 2022. Bethany is represented by Jennifer Wills and Nico

Articles featuring this book

If one of your favorite bookish activities is discovering fledgling authors, then you're in for quite a treat this year with the wonderful...