Start by marking “Good Eggs” as Want to Read:
Good Eggs

Good Eggs

A hilarious and heartfelt debut novel following three generations of a boisterous Irish family whose simmering tensions boil over when an American home aide enters the picture, becoming the calamitous force that will either undo or remake this family—perfect for fans of Where’d You Go, Bernadette and Evvie Drake Starts Over.

When Kevin Gogarty’s irrepressible eighty-three-y
Expected publication: March 2nd 2021 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Good Eggs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Eggs

Start your review of Good Eggs
Jill Dobbe
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Irish humor. Good Eggs, about a zany and somewhat dysfunctional Irish family, delivered. The dialogue was laugh-out-loud funny at times and the characters were emotional and convincing. It's always interesting, too, to learn how others around the world see America and Americans. Good Eggs was a quick read that readers who like to read about family strife will enjoy.

Thank you Netgalley, author, and publisher.
Elaine
Oct 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of Good Eggs.

From the blurb alone, it sounded like a straightforward, albeit typical novel about a feisty older lady who triumphs over being elderly and overlooked with the help of her aide, Sylvia (perhaps) so I was pleased when my request was approved.

Sadly, the blurb is misleading.

** Minor spoilers ahead **

Yes, Millie is an octogenarian with sticky fingers, driving mishaps and a tendency to do as she wishes. But she's 83! Cut the woman some slack.

Her lo
Emily Matthys bennett
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved it! I love a good saucy elder woman and family drama. This has plenty of both. Interesting story, not as schmaltzy as I thought in reading the description so that is great! Enjoyed it, couldn't put it down. Read this early on netgalley!
Mo Smith
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
All opinions are my own.

In general, I adore Irish fiction (think Maeve Binchy, Marian Keyes, and Cathy Kelly), so I was excited to get an ARC of this from NetGalley.
To say that this book was a disappointment is quite the understatement.
This is a book with terrible people putting themselves in terrible situations, and still trying to get the reader on their side.

**minor spoilers ahead**
In the first two chapters, you're led to belie
Nicole
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a true delight. The main characters are Kevin, his eccentric mother Millie, and one of his children, 16 year old Aideen. Each going through their own feelings. Millie is a widow and becoming less independent. Kevin is out of work and feeling useless. Aideen is feeling unseen and misunderstood. Their stories start out separately but intertwine by the end. This was a sweet and often times humorous read.
Sue
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Usually I don’t review a book that I can’t give at least a three star rating. Perhaps I can save someone some money... The review lines call it joyous and exuberantly fun-filled - it has the subject matter and events to be so, but it is flat and a slog to read. Not even Millie the “irrepressible” granny has any depth. I may be dinging this a bit because it was so disappointing compared to the write-ups, but I don’t think so. My kindle estimated it would take me four hours to read it - it took me ...more
Rachel Stansel
Sep 26, 2020 rated it liked it
A story of one family and the similar and yet distinct difficulties of growing up and growing older. The characters were memorable and the story fast paced.

Full disclosure- I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Sam Sattler
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are indeed a few “good eggs” in Rebecca Hardiman’s debut novel Good Eggs, but the truly good ones are not easily identifiable at first glance. Some of the “eggs” are better than others, some are not as good as they first seem to be, and others turn out to be a whole lot better than we thought they were. And, Dublin’s Gogarty family fills almost a whole carton of “eggs” all by itself.

Kevin Gogarty, father of twin teenaged daughters, a younger daughter, and a small son, has found himself rel
Michelle
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Millie, Kevin and Aideen are family, they love each other but every one of them feels like they aren’t loved enough.

Millie is a widow. She’s the matriarch of the family. She loves her son Kevin and his family but she misses her husband. Her life doesn’t feel interesting or exciting. She constantly feels like her son is looking for a reason to put her in a nursing home.
When Millie gets caught shoplifting again, it sets the whole storyline into motion. Kevon tells her that she needs a live in care
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a delightful book about a dysfunctional family from Ireland. Millie is the zany grandmother of an uptight son whose teenage daughter is completely misunderstood and a bit out of control. The characters are wonderful with Millie being hilarious with her actions and the things she says. She kept me in stitches the whole time. Kevin is unemployed and floundering as a husband and father. He and his wife miss out on what is going on with one of their daughters Aideen. Aideen is a sweet g ...more
Mary Robinson
Rebecca Hardiman has written just the humorous family dramedy I needed to read! When Millie Gogarty must have an at-home caretaker, her son, Kevin hires American aide, Sylvia. Things appear to be going smoothly, well in fact. Meanwhile, Kevin's teenage daughter, AIdeen, causes family drama with her twin, and lands in board ing school when the famiy can't take the angst anymore. Soon, Sylvia has left with Millie's "loan" to cure her ailing nephew, Millie recupperates from house fire in a care hom ...more
Steph Elias
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good Eggs is a fantastic story about an Irish family. The characters are great especially the grandma and the daughter Aideen. It looks at a lot of different family situations with humor, but we can also see the hurt that some cause. It tackles topics like dementia, sibling rivalry, cheating, fraud, and more. The pace of the story is great, it really leaves you wanting to know how things turn out. I raced through the book and found it hard to put down. While some of the characters did piss me of ...more
Chrissy
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had a very difficult time getting into this book. The only character I found even slightly likable was Aideen, the daughter, and even she was questionable. Kevin, the father, was creep and gross. Grace, his wife, was cold and unfeeling. Aideen's siblings were either snotty or non-existent. Millie, the grandma, was obnoxiously annoying. And I saw right through the care-taker from the first moment she was introduced. Very disappointing.

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an hone
Stephanie
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it but I could see how some people may not. It's not a book that is particularly concerned with being exciting. However, that shouldn't lead anyone to believe it's boring or that the story isn't good. It's tone is just very calm and laid-back compared to the subjects it's covering but it's still engaging enough for you to want to know where it's going. The characters are flawed but not fatally so. I think if there's a book for a rainy day, it's this one.
Cathe Olson
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a zany story about an Irish family spiraling out of control--an elderly grandmother addicted to shoplifting, a workaholic mom, a rebellious teenager and an out-of-work dad who's trying to fix everything but only seems to make things worse. Just a completely fun adventure to get lost in for a few hours!
Gea
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-com
Take one old lady with sticky fingers, her only son and his rather dysfunctional family, and add an American care aide. What could possibly be funny? Read Good Eggs and discover a family like not others. A great read!
Cindelu
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
I won this book on Goodreads. It was ok. About a poor old woman who was rather confused, her teenage rambunctious granddaughter and the son/father between them. Adventure, some humor and a quick read.
Christine Cheripka
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good Eggs proves the theory that a dysfunctional family is a dysfunctional family whether in Ireland or America!
this is a charming story of 3 generations of an Irish family, their ups, downs and crazy lives....I did enjoy this book won on Good Reads.
Michelle
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
The zany grandma and "bad" teenager characters were just okay to me. I couldn't get invested in the story. I can see it appealing to others but it just wasn't my thing.

Kindly received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Heather
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
I had a hard time getting into this book at first. I wasn't really feeling it. I am glad I stuck with it. Millie was quite the character and very entertaining. The author did a wonderful job of showing the characters as flawed and real. I felt for Aideen. I can't imagine it is easy to be a twin when your twin seems perfect. I loved that Millie and Aideen had a relationship that was truly their own. I had some issues with Kevin. I was ready to dislike him with his secrets but was happy with the w ...more
Tisha
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I really enjoyed this story. Funny, zany and quirky. A great fun read. I laughed out loud several times.
Annette Wadowski-Licata
Jason Joostberns
Nov 02, 2020
Jayda
Oct 16, 2020

• 500 Miles from You (Scottish Bookshop #3)
  • Leave the World Behind
  • Girl Gone Mad
  • Cobble Hill
  • When No One is Watching
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • The Music of Bees : A Novel
  • Sweet Sorrow
  • Millicent Glenn's Last Wish
  • The Penitent Priest (Father Tom #1)
  • The Poppy & the Rose
  • Too Good to Be True
  • Heartbreak Bay (Stillhouse Lake #5)
  • The Girls Are All So Nice Here
  • Ladies of the House: A Modern Retelling of Sense and Sensibility
  • The Good Sister
  • Hell & Back (Outbreak Task Force #5)
  • The Postscript Murders (Harbinder Kaur #2)