Jump to ratings and reviews

Camp Whatever #1

Secrets of Camp Whatever Vol. 1

"Just the right amount of chills for tweens who enjoy supernatural suspense." — KIRKUS

Perfect for fans of Lumberjanes and Brain Camp, there’s more than mosquitos at Camp Whatever and Willow will need to face truths about herself and her family as summer camp dread goes head to head with the supernatural.

Eleven year-old Willow doesn't want to go to her dad's weird old summer camp any more than she wants her family to move to the weird old town where that camp is located. But her family—and fate itself—seem to have plans of their own. Soon Willow finds herself neck-deep in a confounding mystery involving stolen snacks, suspected vampires, and missing campers, all shrouded in the sinister fog that hides a generation of secrets at Camp ... Whatever it's called.

272 pages, Paperback

28 books53 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
29 (2%)
1 star
7 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 254 reviews
Profile Image for Mitticus.
965 reviews209 followers
October 27, 2020
+Digital ARC gently provided by Netgalley and publishers in exchange for an honest review+

A soft version of Eerie Indiana.

Willow family moves to "Nowhere", and the first thing they do ,before to go the house, is drop the daughter into the camp "Whatever" for a week. The camp is situated in an island surrounded by a creepy fog, with suspicious stories about monsters and missing people. Yeah, the perfect place for your beloved children! Willow use hearing aid and she is able to use sign language.

The principal is weird and rude, and the children are noisy and mostly up for the ride. Except Willow. But soon they found that the tales are not so unfounded.

Personally, I think they even exaggerated with the amount of supernatural

But, the truth is that I would like to read the next volume.
Profile Image for Fanna.
979 reviews491 followers
December 15, 2020
December 12, 2020: An eleven-year-old deaf girl—Willow—has moved to a new town with her mother, and decides to attend a camp located on an island before school commences, but this place is sprinkled with magic and strangely paranormal with witches, vampires, and more. An adventure that's fun and a mystery that's intriguing, this spooky graphic novel showers whimsical vibes and mystical creatures, in addition to the respectful representation of Willow using hearing aids and communicating via the sign language. Filled with numerous plot twists and a tyrannical revelation that keeps one interested in the next volumes, this story also highlights the courage found in friendships.

blogko-fitwitter

➼ an early digital copy received via netgalley but review would remain uninfluenced. ↤
Profile Image for Carrie .
977 reviews445 followers
April 4, 2021
Willow's family are moving into a new house in the town of Nowhere, and to help make the move easier on them all she is sent to away to summer camp, Camp..Whatever.

Camp Whatever is located on a island, which seems to always have fog around it. They are warned not to stray far in it, and not to go out at night. Strange things start to happen, snacks are stolen, hairy arms can have been seen sticking out from under the bed, and the kids say the lunch lady is a vampire.

Strange name, strange town, strange camp directors.

Secrets of Camp Whatever is a cute middle grade graphic novel, I enjoyed the illustrations and the characters. The disability rep with Willow being deaf and wearing a hearing aid was great to see. The fact that that there are characters who knew sign language made me happy.

I'm very interested to see what happens in the next volume, will it be in Camp Whatever next summer or in the town of Nowhere because that town it's self and it's residents have some stories to tell too.

Profile Image for Schizanthus Nerd.
1,119 reviews228 followers
October 11, 2020
This is such a fun read!

Willow’s family have just moved to Nowhere and while her parents are getting the ghosts out the cellar (maybe literally), she’s been sent to Camp … Whatever for a week. Willow isn’t thrilled about the move or camp, but at least she’ll be getting a week’s respite from Gryphin, her younger brother.

There’s more to Camp … Whatever than meets the eye, and it’s not just because of the thick fog that covers the island. There are the mysteries of the missing candy and missing children to solve, the cook is suspected of being a vampire and there are weird gnomes everywhere. The Camp Director has plenty of his own stories to tell

[image error]

and the island even has its very own spooky legend.
“When the blood of my blood is spilled from a star, and the shadows of elves return from afar, I will once again walk this plane bringing death in tow.”
Willow and her new friends, Violet, Emma and Molly, won’t have much times for arts and crafts at this camp. They’ve got too many secrets to uncover.

[image error]

Eleven year old Willow is adventurous and smart, and she’s never short of ideas or plans, even if they defy the rules. She’s someone you’d have a lot of fun being friends with, if you didn’t mind getting into some trouble along the way. Willow has hearing aids and her ability to sign becomes an important part of the story.

I loved the illustrations and had no trouble following the story or getting to know the characters. The only thing that’s niggling at me is why, given the circumstances, .

The target audience mentioned on the Simon & Schuster website is 9 to 12 years but this adult loved it and is hooked! I can’t wait for the next volume!

While I definitely want to explore more of Camp … Whatever (I have to see some fog leeches!), I’m just as keen to find out what secrets are hiding in the town of Nowhere and I need to find out if there really are ghosts in the cellar of Willow’s new home.

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Oni Press for the opportunity to read this graphic novel.

Blog - https://schizanthusnerd.com
Profile Image for Alexander Peterhans.
Author 2 books154 followers
October 15, 2020
A cute spooky adventure, that is a bit slow in places, but has enough mystery to keep your general 9 to 12 year old interested.

This is one of those narratives that pretty much completely leans on characters not talking to eachother, almost to a preposterous level.

Willow, the main character, is deaf and uses hearing aids, but this is only mentioned a couple of times - her deafness isn't her identity. I did find her bordering on the unlikeable at times, quick to jump to conclusions, and one violent encounter felt a bit uncalled for.

The art is cute, the human characters are a bit samey, the non-humans are a lot more fun and interesting.

A final thought: surely these gnomes are an evolutionary dead end..?

(Kindly received an ARC from Oni Press through NetGalley)
Profile Image for Dash fan .
1,454 reviews708 followers
April 22, 2021
3.5☆ A Fun Filled, Mysterious Adventure!

Secrets of Camp Whatever is a new  middle grade, graphic novel series.

When Willow is sent to summer camp in the creepy town of Nowhere, she starts to wonder just what her parents have signed her up for.

Camp Whatever isn't like your normal Summer Camp, it's surrounded by a thick fog, has scary gnomes that appear from nowhere, a vampire lunch lady and camp mates have been known to mysteriously disappear! Oh and the Children are warned never to stray away from camp!

But can Willow and her friends solve the unsolved mysteries that surround Camp Whatever or will it be too late?

I haven't ever really read graphic novels before so it certainly was an experience. I did enjoy it but I had to go back over things a little bit to make sure I was reading it right.

The characters were really good, it was nice to see the main characters as strong female leads. It was also such a refreshing change to see disabilities represented in Children’s Books.

Overall this is a good start to a new series.
The illustrations were comical and fun.
There was Danger, Secrets, and a few mysteries to be solved, a great introduction to middle grade adventure and graphic novels.

Thank you to Oni Press and Netgalley for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
November 18, 2021
This was such an adorable, spooky adventure! Willow doesn't want to go to her dad's weird old summer camp any more than she wants her family to move to the weird old town where that camp is located. But her family—& fate itself—seem to have plans of their own. Soon Willow finds herself neck-deep in a confounding mystery involving stolen snacks, suspected vampires, & missing campers, all shrouded in the sinister fog that hides a generation of secrets at Camp ... Whatever it's called.
Willow is a terrific MC. She’s spunky, brave, & adventurous. She is also deaf, & can only hear with her hearing aids in. So great representation for that(I can’t say 100% if it’s accurate or good rep, since I am not deaf or have any hearing issues though). This was such a fun, creative mystery. So atmospheric with the camp, allll of its occupants, & the surrounding area. So many creative things & “creatures” at this camp. The gnomes are so cute! Thatch & Toast have my heart. So many great messages in here as well. Such a heartwarming, spooky, & fun read. The art by Chris Grine is absolutely beautiful too. I can’t wait for more in the series! Highly recommend!💜
Profile Image for Gabriela Pop.
699 reviews155 followers
October 25, 2020
Full of whimsy and adventure and simply a good ol' fun time, this graphic novel is a newfound favourite for young and experienced readers alike. Reminiscent of LUMBERJANES and GRAVITY FALLS, it is a fantastic read from start to finish.
Profile Image for Hal.
734 reviews55 followers
October 10, 2020
arc provided to me by the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review

So, overall this has some fun elements, spooky elements but I also had a lot of issues with this but I’ll get into that.

What I really liked about this was definitely the characters especially the mythical creatures! The gnomes were adorable as was this book’s version of Bigfoot and I loved the vampire character as well and how he was the mentor type instead of being the terrifying villain like I thought might happen in the beginning.

I also did enjoy the fact that our main character, Willow has a hearing disability and requires hearing aids.

This leads me into things that I really did not enjoy.

Willow’s new ‘friends’ were super dismissive when she lost her hearing aid batteries and seemingly didn’t care either way if she got them back. Also, I understand that the villain of the story was meant to be a villain but the ableist way he spoke to Willow got on my nerves. He was repeatedly told that he didn’t need to shout to her for her to hear him but he does it at every instance that he interacted with her.

Something else I really did not like seeing was the fact that the kids at this summer camp had an arts and crafts activity where they were tasked to make dreamcatchers. There wasn’t a single indigenous character in this on top of that.

Overall, this definitely had issues but the story arc had it’s fun moments. I don’t think I will be continuing on with this series in the future though.

2/5 🌟

TW: ableism, violence, kidnapping, blood.
Profile Image for Jill.
708 reviews24 followers
June 23, 2021
This was a really fun read. I finished the whole thing in just two days! (Probably would have been faster but, ya know - work.)

I really enjoyed the mystery of the island. Getting to know all the kids and creatures over the course of the book was a lot of fun.
Profile Image for Lovely Day.
581 reviews75 followers
June 16, 2021
4⭐️

Willow is 11 and her dad has moved the family out to this weird old town. Near town is a summer camp where her parents bring her to stay for a week. She goes, reluctantly, but when she is there, she finds way more than she bargained for….
Willow and her new friends stumble upon mystery after mystery at this creepy dog-shrouded camp with no way to explain the supernatural, fantastical beings they come across.
Profile Image for Susan.
1,490 reviews35 followers
July 17, 2021
I am completely not the target audience for this middle-grade series but I absolutely loved it! It was funny, sweet, and just good fun! I loved all the supernatural creatures, most especially the "garden" gnomes. The reveal about the cook was the best thing ever and I laughed out loud. This book surprised me more than once and despite the poo jokes, which I'm sure are popular with the kids, it had me chuckling. I'm eager to see where this story goes next!
Profile Image for rein [[...thats my ride or die]].
225 reviews99 followers
January 4, 2022
*arc provided by netgalley*
Wow! This was so good! There aren't many graphic novels that I have read that feature a deaf main character but this one does! I loved the creepy and whimsical vibe to it! I'm really interested in what will happen in the following volumes. Secrets of camp whatever is about Willow who goes to this summer camp called Camp....Whatever, and when she is there what does she see? Stone gnomes, creepy hairy hands.. missing candy? It is up to Willow and her friends to see what is really going on. All in all, this was a super cute graphic novel with AMAZING art, story lines and characters! I would recommend this if anyone wants a wholesome but creepy graphic novel!
Profile Image for Madara.
263 reviews53 followers
Pace: 4
Characters: 3
Enjoyability: 4
Ease of reading: 4

I love stories that are set in camps. Especially if they have horror or paranormal themes. So Secrets of Camp Whatever Vol. 1 is spot on. Not only is it a fun camp story that's a bit creepy, the main character is disabled and in this household we stan an inclusive story.
The art is cute, the story is fun, the characters are a bit annoying (but then again - I'm not the target audience) and I really want to see where the story will go in the next volume.

Review copy provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Nessa [October Tune].
626 reviews62 followers
March 3, 2021
Thank you NetGalley and Oni Press for the review copy.

I really enjoyed this graphic novel, it kind of reminded me a bit of Lumberjanes but for kids (I mean I guess Lumberjanes is a YA comic, right?). I loved the characters and I really enjoyed the storyline. Definitely recommend it if you love slightly spooky stories and as I've said before, especially if you enjoyed the Lumberjanes comics.

Will be looking forward to any sequels coming out, but I guess that won't be for a while, as this one won't come out until somewhere this month!
Profile Image for Moony (Captain Mischief) MeowPoff.
1,410 reviews120 followers
November 14, 2020
Got this graphic novel as an ARC from NetGalley
This was really fun and light to read. Willow was an interesting character and i really liked the friends she made both human and animal. Plus, the gnomes and the old lady were sort of adorable!
Profile Image for Laura.
2,614 reviews79 followers
October 12, 2020
I loved the idea of a strange summer camp, and this is definitely one. The story starts out as saying that the camp and the town near by are very strange, but we dont' get to learn more about the town, as we race off to the camp, and its strange stone gnomes.

In fact, we need to keep our eye on the stone gnomes.

The camp is indeed strange, with things going on that can't be explained, and that part is fun. The parts that weren't fun for me was the long bits when the characters sit around discussing how strange things are. Yeah, we get that.

And like another reviewer, I had trouble with the arts and crafts being to make dream catchers. So disrespectful.

But I did like the supernatural elements, even though some took a while to get to.

Oh, and the main character is deaf, but you don't notice until she has to speak to someone in sign language. Other than that, she has a hearing aid.

And really, the fog leeches are funny one, but not over and over again.

So, yeah, fun, in bits, and slow in others.

Honestly, if you want a good camp setting with supernatural creatures, you would be better off reading the Camp Midnight series.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Profile Image for Sanna G. Ståhl.
Author 1 book36 followers
January 24, 2021
I really enjoyed this graphic novel, it had everything! Drama, love, friendship, adventure and a bit of a spooky vibe. I also really loved the supernatural part of this book.

Willow, Emma, Molly & Violet are the four characters that we get to follow the most and I seriously love their little friend group. They’re not very much alike personality vise which I enjoyed, it really shows that people doesn’t have to be the same or enjoy the exact same things to be good friend.

I also really liked the fact that the main character Willow or Wil, was hard of hearing. I’ve only read one book before where one of the main characters had hearing loss and I think it’s so important that everyone gets to see themselves in the book they read. More diversity the better. Therefor I found it really great that the author choose to make Wil have hearing loss. She uses a hearing aid and hears with it but also uses sign language.

The art was really great! The colors were beautiful & the characters were pretty diverse which I enjoyed. I also liked the fact that this graphic novel could be read by both an younger audience (even kids?) and adults! Books that work for all ages always got that little special something.

I can’t wait to follow Willow and her friends in the upcoming books!

⭐️ “Secrets of Camp Whatever Vol 1” by Chris Grine get 5/5 stars from me.

ARC sent from NetGalley but my opinions are still my own! Thanks for the awesome review copy 😊
Profile Image for Cori // ghostlightbooks.
151 reviews11 followers
October 20, 2020
I enjoyed this quick and spooky graphic novel, the characters were fun to follow (the humans and the non-humans) and the plot was a creepy adventure! I have to agree that fans of Lumberjanes will like this, but I also think fans of The Backstagers, Fake Blood, and Sheets will probably jive with it as well. I'd be interested to hear from an own voices perspective on the deaf/hard of hearing rep in this as our main character wears hearing aids and can't hear without them (also note I could not find whether the author was own voices for this rep). I'd also like to point out that the kids make dreamcatchers at the camp and that's just not okay, especially because there didn't seem to be a single indigenous character. It's a bummer because the joke/plot point that it's used for has literally nothing to do with the actual dreamcatcher so it could have been pretty much any other arts and crafts that doesn't appropriate another culture for fun. I think that was my only issue with the story.

I'd also like to mention that the author does a redirect with who one of the monsters is, that's one of my favorite tropes and it tickled me to the core. Overall, I'm excited to see where else this spooky little town leads these kids so I'll hopefully be picking up the continuation.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the copy of this book!
Profile Image for Geertje ~ witchybookmom.
299 reviews20 followers
October 27, 2020
Thanks to Netgalley

This was so cute!!

We follow Willow, a girl who goes to a summer camp for the first time. But she soon finds out it's not a normal camp..

The artwork is here was amazing! The colours, expressions, and scenery made it come to life. The story itself was also great. The balance between humor and spooky things was perfect. I would let a middle grader read this for sure.
The pacing was great, it pulled me in and made me read it in one sitting.

Also i loved the deaf rep in here! The little touches of sign language were nice. It's something I haven't seen a lot and would like to see more of.

I can't wait to read volume 2!
Profile Image for Mehsi.
11.5k reviews359 followers
February 22, 2021
A girl moves to a new place (Nowhere) and immediately is shipping to a summer camp (Camp Whatever). From there magical stories happen and adventures are aplenty.

Meet Willow, an eleven-year old deaf girl. She is NOT amused by her parents decision to move and is even less happy with the whole having to go to a camp. I can imagine. Two new things in one go? No thank you. But she soon finds out that she is in for a bit adventure and that the world is more magical and weird than she ever would have thought.

I loved seeing a deaf character in a book. It is still not something that happens a lot and so I am happy to see one each time. Because it is definitely needed. I loved seeing her use sign language and also teach her friends bits and pieces. I felt for her when the batteries were stolen (along with the snacks) and hoped that she would get new batteries soon. I loved how the illustrator/author showed us that Willow couldn’t hear by making the text bubbles from others empty.

Willow was an amazing character, and I loved that she followed her own path. That she isn’t afraid. That she is brave and willing to figure out the mystery. There are many scary moments coming up and she braves them all. Go go Willow. She becomes my favourite character.

I had such a big laugh that Willow and her fellow bunkmates/friends kept tricking their camp counsellor. 😛

I would have liked a bit more of camp, more activities, more camp stuff. Now we didn’t see a lot of it and I missed it.

The campdirector was the worst, and not just how he was acting and what his evil plans are.. but also because of how he treated Willow when he learns she is deaf (though with hearing aids she can hear enough). He keeps shouting at her and instead of listening to her when she wants to tell him that isn’t necessary he just shrugs it off.
His silly way of looking didn’t help either. He looked like a fatter and eviler version of Nigel Thornberry and that really isn’t the image you want in your head when you are reading this book. 😛 It really distracted me from reading.

I loved loved loved the mystery. There is just so much happening right from the start. Not just at the camp but before Willow gets to the camp. The things that were said at restaurant or before the kids boarded the boat. You just knew that things were about to get spooky! And it did. I loved discovering more and more about the island, about what is happening there, who Elrich is, who the lunch lady is (I still call vampire :P), what is stealing the snacks, and WHY JUST WHY there are so many stone gnomes. I loved going with Willow and her friends and discover more of this island. I would have loved to see more of the book she got later on from Elrich. Maybe a few pages here and there scattered throughout the book? That would have made it all better.
There are definitely things I would like to see on the island as it feels like we only got a peek under the curtains. I want more. Some more mythology some more stories about it.

The art was OK-ish. I liked the designs on the kids, but the adults almost all seemed caricatures and it felt just very odd and strange. Was this meant to be?

The ending was good though, oh my at that shot on Willow’s arm. Mm, I remember something that was said at the beginning. Does this mean something big is coming up? I wonder what is going to happen in the next volume. Since this is the first volume. Will we be spending another short few weeks at the camp? Or will we see Willow settle in this strange and magical town? I am definitely in for both.

Review first posted at https://twirlingbookprincess.com/
Profile Image for Deviki.
681 reviews19 followers
February 6, 2021
I got a e-copy from Netgalley's "Read Now"

Oh wow this comic/GN grabbed my attention right from the cover design itself. I love anything creepy in summer cabin :)

I loved that the story started out very quickly, right from the second page we already have creepy vibes and eccentric town people already building up mystery and suspense. I like that we didn't have to wait for the mystery to start halfway through the story line.

Oh gosh a creepy clown is standing by the viking boat waiting to take children to a creepy island camp ......NOPE NOPE NOOPPY NOPE!! I mean, even Willow's parents started to have doubts it but they still insisted Willow to go on this creepy Camp Whatever. When did adults become so in denial of their own instinct ? Camp Whatever in Nowhere Town...wow just wow

The story follows our main protagonist, Willow. She is a deaf and she is my favorite character so far. I find her personality and character to be totally intriguing. She is very brave, curious and driven in everything she does. I like that she didn't take any bullying from anyone and I find that extremely refreshing to read. She quickly make friends with Violet, Emma and Molly, who also ended up in the same cabin bunk with her. Each of them are unique in their own way.

I really like this island and it's peculiar town and of course their equally mysterious people. I'm not going to review the entire plot as it will totally give away the mystery and plot twists. The story pace was timely and didn't lag around. It was quite straight forward with unexpected discoveries. Once you figure out a creature existence, you'll start wondering just how many people the girls met are truly human. The story concluded with enough questions answer but opens more questions for reader to discover in the next issue.

This is only the first volume and I can't wait to follow up on their next adventure !! Now, I'm starting to wonder about Emma's bite and Willow's new home. Willow's new scar? Is her grandma somehow related to secretive Mr. Farat ? Is anyone else in that island/town people another mystical creature ? This is so riveting!!.

To be honest this camp is wayyyy cool!! I mean, all those creepy elements and weirdos counselor. With the right group of friends this place can be epic summer camp adventure!

The artwork for this comic is phenomenal.
The design may be simple but the artwork itself was very colorful and very appealing to readers.
The dialogue box and comic panels are neatly presented for easy reading flow.
Even though, this comic might side to the creepy and dark elements, the ambiance of this comic is not dark and gloomy, rather the elements used is quite sprightly except when there is a need to empathize enigma!
Character designs, colors and lighting concept used is also very eye catching and could also appeal to non horror/supernatural readers.

I really enjoyed reading this issue and would like to continue to read more.
Profile Image for Hilary "Fox".
1,973 reviews52 followers
October 14, 2021
Chris Grine is the genius behind the current run of Animorphs graphic novels, so of course I needed to pick up his original work.

Willow is the young, hard of hearing, protagonist about to spend her first time away at summer camp. Her family is moving to the inventively named town of Nowhere, so she's about to spend a week away at Camp...Whatever. Camp is, well, a bit strange.

There are stone gnomes spread throughout the thick fog, and constant warnings of Bigfoot, monsters in the water, and other such things. Wander off the beaten path? Who knows what you'll find. Also, is the cafeteria lady a vampire or what? These and other mysteries await.

It's a silly book, but a really fun one. It's just the sort of thing I would've gotten really invested in as a kid. The humor is at times exceptionally juvenile in a way I didn't enjoy, but the rest of it..? Good stuff. It has all the makings of a fun series for kids to get engrossed in.
Profile Image for Evangeline.
138 reviews2 followers
October 23, 2020
Thank you to Oni Press and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy of Secrets of Camp Whatever Vol. 1 in exchange for an honest review.

5 stars! I’m not even sure I can write a review that will give this graphic novel justice. This was one of my most enjoyable reads this year! It was so fun and creepy and mysterious and everything I love and more! The mythical and mystical creatures hold such a dear place in my heart! I want to go to Camp Whatever! I honestly cannot describe how much fun I had reading this!
Secrets of Camp Whatever follows Willow as she embarks on her first summer at Camp Whatever. It is situated on an island full of mysterious creatures and legends and rumours where a boy even went missing one summer. This is such a cute and fun and spooky read and I packed full of imagination.

Firstly the idea of a summer camp on a creepy island full of mysterious creatures and mythical beings and legends?! What more could you ask for! This was spooky in a way where it made me feel slightly uncomfortable at times, but uncomfortable in a good way! Like the feeling you get when you’re young and watching Goosebumps for the first time. I managed to jump in a few parts which never happens when I’m reading, and it just added to the fact that I was completely pulled into this story. The pointy noses really creeped me out at first on some of the characters, they reminded me of the Child Catcher and they really made me feel all shivery, but it was so great to experience and feel so many emotions.

The main group of characters are fabulous and memorable and play off of each other extremely well! It’s quite a diverse group, which becomes more apparent as the story develops. Willow is a kick butt, go get em kind of girl and I would definitely have wanted to be her friend as she seemed pretty fearless! I also really appreciated the representation of a deaf character as I feel deaf characters are rather under-represented. What I loved about Willow is that she refused to let the fact that she is deaf hold her back, or let anyone else think she was any less because of it. There are a couple of encounters where she is treated in a way which she doesn’t need to be treated which were rather uncomfortable, but including this probably brings to light experiences that some deaf people experience in their daily lives. However we see Willow as not defined purely by her hearing ability, and instead we continue to see her for who she truly is: adventurous, curious and pretty darn fearless. It was also great to see sign language being used, and the way it was core to some of the plot was really awesome!

The creatures! Oh my word, I am so in love with this whole concept! Of an island where they have all been placed once discovered and now live here. They all live together and try and keep themselves secret as they just want to live their lives undisturbed for the most part. The sheer knowledge of knowing what this island could hold just explodes my imagination and I really hope we get to explore more of it!

The villain was definitely villainous, especially when juxtaposed with who you would typically describe as “monsters”. It really makes you think about who the real monsters are in this world and how you can’t always judge a book by its cover.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to read this book, I immensely enjoyed it. I honestly don’t think my review can give it justice as it was absolute perfection, filled with everything I love and could wish for in a book and I am just overjoyed that I had the experience of reading this! I will definitely be purchasing it!
Profile Image for Gee.
291 reviews35 followers
October 12, 2020
/I was provided a copy of 'Secrets of Camp Whatever' by OniPress, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Thankful as I am for their generosity, the opinion I'm giving has not been influenced by it)

Hear ye, hear ye! This is definitely a graphic novel you won't want to miss out on!

We start off this whimsical adventure by Willow's side, with only an eerie feeling in our gut and a flashlight in our hand to guide us through the wild ride that is 'Secrets of Camp Whatever'. Wil's parents have decided to move to (literally) Nowhere, a town where the fog has made itself a home and the forest owns every inch of land that hasn't been stolen by concrete and brick. While her family sorts out some paperwork, Wil will be spending a week at camp... Whatever? Nobody seems to be able to recall the place's name. But, as we soon get to discover, that's the least weird thing that's going on! Hairy hands that steal candy from underneath the bunks, a lake where swimming isn't allowed beyond knee-depth, a cook who is as pale as she is unarticulate in English, an elderly man whose cottage is filled with stone gnomes... Wil and her new friends Violet, Emma, and Molly, will have to find out what's really going on in Camp Whatever if they want to survive the week.

Every page of this sweet graphic novel was filled with a humming sense of forest magic, ancient lore, and thrill. Wil, the main character, is a brave and bold girl who won't stop looking for the truth until she finds it. And she was such a cheeky gal! I adored her from the moment I met her, and I really can't wait to sneak off with her again, seeking adventure, in the next volumes of this series. But not even my hunger for more every time I turned a page could make me not stop to admire the artwork. Reminiscent of well-known TV shows such as Gravity Falls or Beyond The Garden Wall, Grine's style is as buzzing with energy as his mauve-haired main character. Eerie, but tender nonetheless, SoCW felt like a warm blanket around my shoulders. It's everything eleven-year-old me would've wanted, and more!

Some dialogues had a few typos, mostly missing commas or misplaced fullstops. But... If I had to point out something that really didn't sit well with me, it would be the way Willow's deafness is handled. When she loses her hearing aids' extra batteries, her so-called 'friends' don't seem to care much whether she gets them back or not. Besides, the antagonist of this first volume actually tells her to stand up so the whole camp can see their first deaf campmate, which was so NOT okay! That made me feel uncomfortable. Even though I understand that the author's purpose was to show how certain ableist behaviours are NOT okay, ie. assuming someone who has functional diversity is automatically disabled or can't function normally, it still felt wrong. Hopefully the next volumes in the series will not rely on these ableist characters to visibilize and normalize Wil's situations!
Profile Image for Lost in Book Land.
511 reviews91 followers
December 15, 2020
Hey, Hi, I hope we are all doing okay out there.

I know I said this the other day, but I can not believe we are already in December and somehow like almost 2021. I feel like it was just the other day I was putting out pumpkins for Halloween decorations and now I am decorating for the winter holidays. (I honestly, love both of these seasons so it is totally fine with me but still wow has time flown past me). I am still like twenty or thirty books from my Goodreads goal for the year (so even though I am having what might turn out to be my best reading month of the year, I do not think we are meeting the goal, and honestly that is okay, this year has been insane and I have accomplished a lot and read a lot, but we will hit that goal next year)! But in an effort to keep having the best reading month and just enjoying a bit of a slowed down month for me work wise, I picked up a new graphic novel series the other day (at least I really hope this is a series because I am hooked)!

SPOILERS AHEAD

Willow’s whole family is moving to a new place and her first week will not be spent in the new house, rather her family is sending her to summer camp in her new town. It’s the same summer camp her dad attended when he was her age and now Willow gets to head out onto this small island near their new home and go too! Except Willow is not at all excited about going to summer camp, in fact she would much rather help her parents and brother with the move then go to summer camp. However, once Willow arrives on the island she makes fast friends and even learns about some weird rules (like stay away from the fog). Willow is incredibly curious about the secrets and rumors surrounding her summer camp. But will Willow and her new friends solve any of these or will they just have a normal summer camp experience?

I loved this graphic novel so much! The art popped off the page and the colors were brilliant. The story was interesting and I was always guessing what Willow and the gang might find next and honestly always surprised. I could not find any information as to weather there would be another in the series but I am really crossing my fingers that there will be.

Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars

** Thank you so much to the publisher for the E-ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for the_fabled_reader.
75 reviews1 follower
December 17, 2020
eARC kindly provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

SUMMARY

Secrets of Camp Whatever is a graphic novel about a deaf girl named Willow going to a rather peculiar summer camp called Camp Whatever, located on an island. Her family has moved to Nowhere and before the school year starts her parents thought it best to send her to Camp Whatever. There Willow meets some friends and try to have a normal summer camp experience, but she soon discovers that Camp Whatever is not your normal summer camp...

CHARACTERS

I adored the characters! Especially our main character Willow. There is some really great representation for people suffering with similar problems. I love how she as a character destigmatizes being deaf. The side characters were great, the friendships are so wholesome and supportive. This is only volume 1 so I suspect we will be seeing more of the characters in the future volumes.

PLOT

The plot was very entertaining and the pace was just perfect. I kept on wanting to read more. The story really pulls you in and the art just makes it even better! The story is rather simplistic but that did not affect it negatively. There were so many amazing elements in this story and it just heightened my excitement for the next volume. The ending was nicely wrapped up but still left some things unanswered that will probably be brought up in the next book.

ART

I loved the art style. I could not stop admiring the scenes and the atmosphere they created. The art made the story even better than it already was, and compliments it in every way.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I really enjoyed reading this book and I look forward to reading the next installments. I recommend this book to anyone that wants a fun and interesting read that immediately pulls you in. The art is once again amazing and adds some spookiness to this reading experience.
Profile Image for Julia ☀️.
135 reviews14 followers
January 14, 2021
[eARC provided by NetGalley]

This graphic novel was pretty cute!!

Representation: D/deaf MC, Latinx, Black characters

As mentioned on the cover, it is an uncorrected proof so it was bound to have mistakes and did have a few. However, I felt like the storyline/arch from scene to scene was a little jagged, and even in some spots within a scene. Some of dialogue didn’t move in a coherent way and found myself a little lost in some places; in particular, there was one scene were the main characters were talking about a newly introduced character by name, whom had been briefly introduced previous to that, but was not visible in the panel—it is important to mention that the character could not be seen as the kids were pointing him out (but like where??).

Some of the plot points could be easily guessed, but unsure if this is an issue as this is aimed at middle grade children.

The pacing in the first 2 thirds was really slow as well, and it didn’t help that a lot of the jagged transitions happened here. It’s probably also important to mention here that there were a few inconsistencies, which probably added to the jagged feel of the graphic novel.

However, I was basically won over in the end because the goblins were the cutest!!!
Profile Image for Daniella.
164 reviews9 followers
October 18, 2020
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Something about summer camps with mysterious supernatural occurrences and misfit outcast teens befriending each other draws me in everytime.

Willow (Wil) and her family are moving into her paternal grandparents old house in a new town, due to the renovation work needed she's being shipped off to the local summer camp for a week and is less than thrilled about the idea.

Both the town and the camp are host to a vibrant and eccentric host of characters. The action moved quickly but did seem to jump around a little. I'd also have liked to have seen some of the characters fleshed out a little but since this is a series I'm hoping this will come with time.

There's also deaf representation as Wil uses hearing aids and signs and I think it's so important to see more positive rep in media for a younger audience.

Overall this was full of warmth and humour and I'm interested in seeing how the series progresses.
Profile Image for rylanne burdette.
396 reviews48 followers
December 9, 2020
Secrets of Camp Whatever is a magical and mysterious story about a group of new friends who meet at a summer camp on a strange island. During their short time together, they realize that the island holds many secrets hiding in the woods, but there is someone who wants to destroy them and is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure that happens.

I really enjoyed this graphic novel! It was a fun read, and I loved all of the different creatures we encounter throughout the story. Our main character, Willow, relies on hearing aids to hear, but she doesn’t let that stop her from making new friends, going on adventures, and saving the day. The illustrations were seriously stunning to look at, and the way the entire story flowed and developed was wonderfully done. I would highly recommend this entertaining graphic novel!

A huge thank you to NetGalley and Oni Press for providing an ARC of Secrets of Camp Whatever! This graphic novel is set to be published on 3/2/2021.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 254 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.