Start by marking “The Russian Cage” as Want to Read:

(Gunnie Rose #3)

#1 New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Charlaine Harris is at her best in this alternate history of the United States where magic is an acknowledged but despised power in this third installment of the Gunnie Rose series.

Picking up right where A Longer Fall left off, this thrilling third installment follows Lizbeth Rose as she takes on one of her most dangerous
Published February 23rd 2021 by Gallery / Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about The Russian Cage, please sign up.
Charlaine Harris These books take place in the late 30s. Though anyone will tell you that math is not my strong suit, I worked it all out in my head satisfactorily. Th…moreThese books take place in the late 30s. Though anyone will tell you that math is not my strong suit, I worked it all out in my head satisfactorily. The population has been hit hard by the flu, starvation, and armed skirmishes. As for the lack of children . . . Lizbeth's neighbor has three, and Lizbeth's mom teaches all grades at the school, and the families Lizbeth's guarding in the first book have quite a few children.(less)
ALPHAreader It was available on NetGalley to reviewers and booksellers for a long time ... I've had it for about 6-months now? …moreIt was available on NetGalley to reviewers and booksellers for a long time ... I've had it for about 6-months now? (less)

Start your review of The Russian Cage
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
On sale this week! 3.75 stars. Final review, first posted on FantasyLiterature.com:

Charlaine Harris’s alternative history/urban fantasy GUNNIE ROSE series shifts to a new setting in this third book in the series, The Russian Cage, one that was foreshadowed by the ending of the prior book, A Longer Fall. Lizbeth Rose, who makes her living as a hired gun or “gunnie,” receives an intentionally cryptic letter from her younger half-sister, Felicia. For the past year, Felicia has been living in what o
PamG
THE RUSSIAN CAGE by Charlaine Harris brings intrigue, romance, danger, suspense and much more to a well-written and entertaining novel that is a mix of historical fiction, urban fantasy western and alternate history. It is the third book in the Gunnie (Lizbeth) Rose series and is largely set in San Diego which is now part of the Holy Russian Empire (HRE).

This novel picks up soon after book two ends with Lizbeth reading a letter from her half-sister Felicia. There are hints that Lizbeth’s estrang
Phrynne
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2021
This is the third book in this interesting and intriguing series, and it is every bit as enjoyable as the previous two.

In The Russian Cage Lizbeth discovers that Eli has been imprisoned and she races to California, which in this alternate history is the Holy Russian Empire, to rescue him. She finds herself to be a stranger in a strange land but fortunately has friends to help her, including her younger sister, Felicia.

There is a lot of very entertaining world building for this part of the countr
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Jan 11, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Charlaine Harris knows how to write a cozy and I’m on book three of the latest in the Gunnie Rose series. Once again there’s a lot of filler with descriptions of mundane activities and random thoughts from the protagonist but Harris also added some great action in this installment.

Picking up soon after the events of book two, A Longer Fall, Lizbeth Rose travels from her home in Texoma (formerly Texas & Oklahoma) to the Holy Russian Empire (formerly California) after receiving a coded letter from
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

I was hesitant to pick up this series as Westerns aren't really my jam, but I requested this one off of Netgalley thinking it was a new series from Charlaine Harris and didn't realize it was third in the Western-esque Gunnie Rose series. So, after approval, I saw that it was book three and went to find books one and two.

I'm really glad I picked these up and I should have trusted Charlain
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this book! I read the first two installments in the Gunnie Rose series about a year ago and I couldn't wait to get to read more of this fun series. I couldn't resist reading this book just as soon as it found its way into my greedy hands. I will admit that my expectations were pretty high for this book and I am happy to report that I was not disappointed in the least.

When Lizbeth learns that Eli is being held in jai
Dianne
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I see “by Charlaine Harris” and of course, when I am invited to read and review one of her ARCs, I am all over that! This time out, our daring heroine is Lizbeth Rose and she carries that same razor sharp wit and ingenuity that is signature to Ms. Harris’ characters and that easy to read, easy to fall into style is right there, too.

THE RUSSIAN CAGE had all the trademark characteristics I love about this author, except, I was unaware…I know, my bad…that this is a mid-series book, leaving me floun
Simoné Eloff
Sep 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc-tbr
9/21/2020 Available to Read Now on Netgalley!

Granted, I still need to get to the first two books, but hey *shrugs*.
Stephanie Tenyak
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
In the 3rd installment of the Gunnie Rose series, we finally get to visit the much talked about Holy Russian Empire (HRE), previously California and Oregon, and the Tsar’s court. The story starts with Lizbeth in Segundo Mexia getting a coded message from her half sister Felicia, who is at school in the HRE. She determines Eli has been imprisoned and sets out to go to San Diego in the HRE to help free him. Along with Felicia, Felix also returns and we get to meet Eli’s family, the tsar and his fa ...more
Dora Okeyo
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
One thing is certain; this is a page turner.
From the moment Lisbeth receives a letter from her sister and decodes the meaning of it, she's on a train and her mission is to save Eli or rather get him out of prison, how, she doesn't know yet!
It's a very interesting read, thrilling and the characters some lovely others drunk in their power, and Lisbeth, has no patience for small talk or niceties.
Anyone coming into this story line, would enjoy the pace and adventure herein. So, it makes a good read
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Alternative History / Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

The Russian Cage, by author Charlaine Harris, is the third installment in the authors Gunnie Rose series. This series mixes historical fiction, urban fantasy, western and alternate history. In this world, the former US has broken down, and has been separated into five other countries. Each has its unique identity – New America, Holy Russian Empire, Texoma, Dixie, and Britannia. The story picks up soon after A Long Fall
Tonya S.
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
I listened to both of the previous books in this series on audiobook, and I did miss that immersive experience with The Russian Cage. I still thought this latest installment was great, though. We pick up right where we left off, and I love that continuity. Lizbeth travels to the HRE to try and get Eli out of jail. I had been very curious about the Holy Russian Empire prior to this book, and was thrilled that nearly the whole book took place in the former California. As always, Charlaine Harris h ...more
Melanie
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Fun addition to the series. This book further develops the backstories of the characters and has some fascinating information about the alternate history of this world. I like the characters more and more with each book in the series.

Thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for the ARC.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
I received a copy of The Russian Cage in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The Russian Cage is the third novel in Charlaine Harris' Gunnie Rose series, a series set in an alternate history. A world where magic exists and the political landscape of America is vastly different from what we know.

Eli is in danger. Lizbeth Rose, aka Gunnie Rose, knows this thanks to the letter her half-sister sent her way. Rose has two options. Sit at home and trust Eli to find his own way out of danger. Or m
Linda
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in Harris’s Gunnie Rose series which takes place in an alternate history America in the 1930’s where the US has splintered into separate nation-states and where magic is real. Lizbeth Rose is a Gunnie whose job it is to provide armed protection to those traveling within or between these often lawless states. In this story, Lizbeth travels to the Holy Russian Empire (once California and Oregon) where her sometimes partner and lover Eli has been thrown in prison.

The story u
Lauren
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Electronic ARC provided by Edelweiss.

I've really been enjoying this series, and "The Russian Cage" is a great addition. In this third installment we finally get to visit the new Holy Russian Empire (formerly California) as Lizbeth heads directly into the Tsar's court to rescue Eli from imprisonment.

I liked this book a lot more then I liked the previous volume. Charlaine Harris tries hard and means well, but her attempts to deal with issues like systemic racism can be a bit under nuanced. Luckil
Hope
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a big Charlaine Harris fan, having happily read my way through her Sookie Stackhouse, Aurora Teagarten and nearly all her other series. Her Gunnie Rose series is a bit of a departure for her as it focuses on a dystopian alternative history time in America. Many the other typical elements of her novels are present-- a heroine who handles herself with aplomb, a form of fantastical or magical being, and a fair amount of action that while violent is not overly upsetting.
The Russian Cage is the t
ALPHAreader
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
'The Russian Cage' is the third book in Charlaine Harris' alternate-history urban fantasy series, in which the Holy Russian Empire rules over a portion of America after influenza wiped out a majority of US politicians and left a power-vacuum that was filled by the escaped royal family of the Romanovs.

'Russian Cage' picks up a little down the ways from second book 'A Longer Fall', after which our 'gunnie' (gun-for-hire, strictly protection not assassination) Lizbeth Rose parted ways with magical
Erica Chilson
I received a free copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

5 Stars

The Russian Cage is the third (probably final) installment in the Gunnie Rose series. Not a standalone, must be read in series order.

In a mix of dry narration, intriguing world-building, and an exciting political conspiracy, the Gunnie Rose series has been one of the most original series I've read to date. Set in what I assume is an alternate version of the depression era, the United States have been dissolved, Cali
Carmen
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received this ARC in exchange for an unbiased review.

The signature of the Gunnie Rose series may be how quickly we are dropped into the plot. Here, as in the previous two books, author Charlaine Harris doesn't waste any time getting things going. While the tension is high and every moment is fraught with danger, in The Russian Cage, Lizbeth Rose is without a crew and the mission is personal as she heads into the Holy Russian Empire to rescue her former partner, Eli, from prison.

A
Carly
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Russian Cage is one of my Most Anticipated Reads of 2021 and it did not disappoint! Charlaine Harris' third installment of the Gunnie Rose series, fans will heave a sigh of relief at the supposed Happily Ever After at the end (knowing Charlaine Harris, the adventures of Gunnie Rose are not done so that HEA may be tentative).

The Gunnie Rose series is a fantasy sub-trope all of its own, with a slight Steampunk feel in the Old (New?) West where the Russian Romanov family rules what is now Cali
Tani
Sep 25, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley.
Doreen
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2/19/2021 Not quite as solid as the second book, but still a lot of fun. Full review tk at TheFrumiousConsortium.net.

2/23/2021 Hurray, Lizbeth Rose is finally on her way west! Unfortunately, she's going after receiving news that her one-time partner Eli -- or Prince Ilya Savarov to the rest of the denizens of the Holy Russian Empire -- has been thrown into jail for reasons unknown. The news has been conveyed to her via a coded letter from her younger half-sister Felicia, who's being trained as a
Tessa (Talks Books)
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Lizbeth "Gunnie" Rose is back, and she is a changed young woman. This latest story in the Gunnie Rose series has a mystery and lots of action, but it also has a different Lizbeth from the one l met in the series's first book. I love the depth Lizbeth's maturing adds to the series, and I hope you will too!

From page 1, I noticed that the whole tone felt different in Lizbeth's story's latest installment. It is more sedate and reflective as the cracks in Lizbeth's armor gave me peaks into the very s
Karen Reeves
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
By Charlaine Harris

As a massive fan of Charlaine Harris and the Sookie Stackhouse Series (True Blood Series), Aurora Teagarden Series, Harper Connelly Series, Lily Bard Shakespeare Series, and Midnight Texas Series, I was thrilled to discover a new book by Charlaine Harris, “The Russian Cage.”

To be honest, I didn’t even look at the name of the book or read the description before requesting an ARC of this book from NetGalley because I love Charlaine Harris.

Since this is the third
Maxine
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Lizbeth Rose aka Gunnie Rose receives a coded letter from her half-sister letting her know that Eli Savarov is being held in prison in San Diego, the capitol of the Holy Russian Empire. Lizbeth has no choice - she loves Eli so, although the Holy Roman Empire seems a world away in more ways than one, she immediately sets out for San Diego where she will free him or die trying.

The Russian Cage is the third installment in the Gunnie Rose alternate history series by author Charlaine Harris and, like
Adriana
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It's a testament to Harris' writing that I jumped into this series at its conclusion and I still fell in love with the characters. Lizbeth Rose is a bit of an odd character, yet it's all the things that are different about her that made me interested in following her story. And the characters that Harris surrounded her with add to the interest factor. There's so much depth to even characters that I thought would just be placeholders or plot elements that I'm actually hoping that there's more exp ...more
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

For the third time, Charlaine Harris plays with time, place and historical accuracy in her Gunnie Rose series. This time, Lizbeth is fighting to save Eli from a political plot she doesn’t fully understand.

This is the book that made me fully engage with this series. During the first two books, I found myself constantly distracted by unreliable historic details. This time, I was too engrossed in the characters and the wonderfull
Marta Cox
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
I do love the way the author has taken places in the US and given them a whole new identity. This alternative history mashes together Texas and Oklahoma but perhaps even more oddly takes California and Oregon and moulds those into a new version of Russia and that is exactly where our heroine is heading ! Lizbeth receives a coded message from her half sister telling her that the man ( or should that be Prince ? ) she loves has been taken prisoner and there's no way our plucky heroine is going to ...more
Gina
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
"The Russian Cage" is the third book in Charlaine Harris' Gunnie Rose series. As with many of Harris' heroines, Lizbeth is plainspoken and straightforward. This causes her issues when dealing with the Holy Russian Empire and its wizards.

Lizbeth receives a letter from her half-sister, who is a student at the grigori school in California. Lizbeth's lover, Eli, has been arrested, and no one knows why. Lizbeth travels to California, determined to free him, and uncovers a plot that could destabilize
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Stranger in Town (Rockton #6)
  • Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega, #6)
  • Persephone Station
  • The Future Is Yours
  • Anxious People
  • One by One
  • The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
  • Shadows in Death (In Death, #51)
  • Rafael (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #28)
  • Alpha Night (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #4; Psy-Changeling, #19)
  • Heartbreak Bay (Stillhouse Lake #5)
  • Project Hail Mary
  • The Sword & Mr. Stone (An Edward Stone - Insurance Adjuster - Adventure #1)
  • Claws for Alarm (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #8)
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Bookshop of Second Chances
  • The Lost Girls of Devon
  • Death at High Tide (Island Sisters Mystery #1)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Gunnie Rose (4 books)
  • An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • Untitled (Gunnie Rose #4)