Start by marking “The Russian Cage” as Want to Read:

(Gunnie Rose #3)

#1 New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Charlaine Harris is at her best in this alternate history of the United States where magic is an acknowledged but despised power in this third installment of the Gunnie Rose series.

Picking up right where A Longer Fall left off, this thrilling third installment follows Lizbeth Rose as she takes on one of her most dangerous
Expected publication: February 23rd 2021 by Gallery / Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about The Russian Cage, please sign up.
Charlaine Harris These books take place in the late 30s. Though anyone will tell you that math is not my strong suit, I worked it all out in my head satisfactorily. Th…moreThese books take place in the late 30s. Though anyone will tell you that math is not my strong suit, I worked it all out in my head satisfactorily. The population has been hit hard by the flu, starvation, and armed skirmishes. As for the lack of children . . . Lizbeth's neighbor has three, and Lizbeth's mom teaches all grades at the school, and the families Lizbeth's guarding in the first book have quite a few children.(less)

Start your review of The Russian Cage
PamG
THE RUSSIAN CAGE by Charlaine Harris brings intrigue, romance, danger, suspense and much more to a well-written and entertaining novel that is a mix of historical fiction, urban fantasy western and alternate history. It is the third book in the Gunnie (Lizbeth) Rose series and is largely set in San Diego which is now part of the Holy Russian Empire (HRE).

This novel picks up soon after book two ends with Lizbeth reading a letter from her half-sister Felicia. There are hints that Lizbeth’s estrang
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Initial Thoughts
I really enjoyed this book! I read the first two books in the Gunnie Rose series during the past year and was pretty excited to join Lizbeth on her next adventure. When Lizbeth learns that Eli is in prison, she knows that she has to see what she can do to help. Soon she is in the Holy Russian Empire working to help in any way she can. There were some familiar faces and some new ones as well. I enjoyed trying to figure out exactly what was going on along with Lizbeth and enjoyed a
Simoné Eloff
Sep 21, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-tbr
9/21/2020 Available to Read Now on Netgalley!

Granted, I still need to get to the first two books, but hey *shrugs*.
Dianne
I see “by Charlaine Harris” and of course, when I am invited to read and review one of her ARCs, I am all over that! This time out, our daring heroine is Lizbeth Rose and she carries that same razor sharp wit and ingenuity that is signature to Ms. Harris’ characters and that easy to read, easy to fall into style is right there, too.

THE RUSSIAN CAGE had all the trademark characteristics I love about this author, except, I was unaware…I know, my bad…that this is a mid-series book, leaving me floun
Stephanie Tenyak
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
In the 3rd installment of the Gunnie Rose series, we finally get to visit the much talked about Holy Russian Empire (HRE), previously California and Oregon, and the Tsar’s court. The story starts with Lizbeth in Segundo Mexia getting a coded message from her half sister Felicia, who is at school in the HRE. She determines Eli has been imprisoned and sets out to go to San Diego in the HRE to help free him. Along with Felicia, Felix also returns and we get to meet Eli’s family, the tsar and his fa ...more
Dora Okeyo
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
One thing is certain; this is a page turner.
From the moment Lisbeth receives a letter from her sister and decodes the meaning of it, she's on a train and her mission is to save Eli or rather get him out of prison, how, she doesn't know yet!
It's a very interesting read, thrilling and the characters some lovely others drunk in their power, and Lisbeth, has no patience for small talk or niceties.
Anyone coming into this story line, would enjoy the pace and adventure herein. So, it makes a good read
Melanie
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Fun addition to the series. This book further develops the backstories of the characters and has some fascinating information about the alternate history of this world. I like the characters more and more with each book in the series.

Thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for the ARC.
Hope
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a big Charlaine Harris fan, having happily read my way through her Sookie Stackhouse, Aurora Teagarten and nearly all her other series. Her Gunnie Rose series is a bit of a departure for her as it focuses on a dystopian alternative history time in America. Many the other typical elements of her novels are present-- a heroine who handles herself with aplomb, a form of fantastical or magical being, and a fair amount of action that while violent is not overly upsetting.
The Russian Cage is the t
Lauren
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Electronic ARC provided by Edelweiss.

I've really been enjoying this series, and "The Russian Cage" is a great addition. In this third installment we finally get to visit the new Holy Russian Empire (formerly California) as Lizbeth heads directly into the Tsar's court to rescue Eli from imprisonment.

I liked this book a lot more then I liked the previous volume. Charlaine Harris tries hard and means well, but her attempts to deal with issues like systemic racism can be a bit under nuanced. Luckil
Carly
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Russian Cage is one of my Most Anticipated Reads of 2021 and it did not disappoint! Charlaine Harris' third installment of the Gunnie Rose series, fans will heave a sigh of relief at the supposed Happily Ever After at the end (knowing Charlaine Harris, the adventures of Gunnie Rose are not done so that HEA may be tentative).

The Gunnie Rose series is a fantasy sub-trope all of its own, with a slight Steampunk feel in the Old (New?) West where the Russian Romanov family rules what is now Cali
Karen Reeves
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
By Charlaine Harris

As a massive fan of Charlaine Harris and the Sookie Stackhouse Series (True Blood Series), Aurora Teagarden Series, Harper Connelly Series, Lily Bard Shakespeare Series, and Midnight Texas Series, I was thrilled to discover a new book by Charlaine Harris, “The Russian Cage.”

To be honest, I didn’t even look at the name of the book or read the description before requesting an ARC of this book from NetGalley because I love Charlaine Harris.

Since this is the third
Anatl
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lizbeth Rose is off to California aka the Holy Russian Empire to save Eli her beloved and break him out of prison. She gets help along the way from her younger sister Felicia, and Felix who also has a romantic stake in Eli's welfare. I haven't read the previous boos An Easy Death or A Longer Fall but I enjoyed the story all the same. I haven't been keeping up to date with Charlaine Harris’s books although I loved the Sookie Stackhouse series. But when I realized she had a new urban fantasy serie ...more
Carmen
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received this ARC in exchange for an unbiased review.

The signature of the Gunnie Rose series may be how quickly we are dropped into the plot. Here, as in the previous two books, author Charlaine Harris doesn't waste any time getting things going. While the tension is high and every moment is fraught with danger, in The Russian Cage, Lizbeth Rose is without a crew and the mission is personal as she heads into the Holy Russian Empire to rescue her former partner, Eli, from prison.

A
Ay
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The heroine, Gunnie Rose, is a professional guard. She usually works as part of a “crew”, a group of guards who get jobs such as escorting a few families and all their stuff migrating out of Mexico as they have been dispossessed, or escorting valuable cargo by train through a couple of countries in an alternate history North America.

These guards are called “gunnies” because they are all basically gunslingers, and always involves
Dianne
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a good addition to this series—a nice face-paced plot-driven story. If you are a first-timer to this series, you really must start from the beginning. I have been following the whole series, and even I got a little mixed up with this book!

There is plenty of action, subterfuge, and even love. The more I read this series, the more I see some similarities between these and the Lily Bard main characters.

*ARC supplied by the publisher and author. Thank you very much.
Tani
Sep 25, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley.
Kathy Kennerley
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! This series is excellent. Lizbeth is a quick witted spunky gal in a gritty world much like an old western movie that went sideways. She seems to be thrown into the role of peacemaker often which she's good at because she can settle any situation. Her friends and family are an odd-lot and she is extremely loyal to those ties. I enjoyed this book, and this author, so much! ARC netgalley.com ...more
Sarah 🌺 Books in Their Natural Habitat
Lizbeth is at it again! After receiving a weird letter from her little sister, she realizes that Eli has been jailed in the Holy Russian Empire. Usually, she guards cargo, but something is clearly not right. With the help of Grigori, will she find out what the heck is going on and save a man she cares deeply about along the way?!
I’m loving this series more and more as I get further into it. It’s more grisly than her other series but it adds something. Lizbeth is a straight shooter (in more ways
Daniel
Dec 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.0 of 5

I jumped into this series three books in, and I think that was a mistake! Sometimes you can pick up a book in the middle of a series and still get everything you need to know about the characters and relationships and the world in which it is set. And sometimes each book relies so heavily on the previous books that you might easily become lost if you haven't read the previous installments. This books leans toward the latt
Hepzibah Becca Jael
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Russian cage
Charlaine Harris

4.7/5 stars
**And there was bacon, That smell would wake up anyone in the world. If there’s such a thing as heaven, I bet it smells like bacon.**

Set on the Holy Russian Empire, which used to be California and Oregon once, the time or age seems to fit the modern age. Texoma which is Oklahoma and Texas as one is where our MC begins her mission.

The main character Lizbeth Rose is a gunnie which doesn't mean she's an assassin but that she'd do anything to safeguard her
Chrystina
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I got an ARC from Net Galley I did a happy dance because I LOVE Charlaine Harris and I have fallen in love the Gunnie Rose series.
This is not one of those series that you can just pick up anywhere, so if you are new to this world, do yourself a favor and put down this book and start with An Easy Death, the first in the series. You won't be disappointed.
The series is set in an alternate America where 1) magic is real and 2) a much more disastrous WWI and Influenza Pandemic, the federal gove
Jackie
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I was super excited to receive an ARC of The Russian Cage! This is the third installment in the Gunnie Rose series, where we follow Lizbeth as she travels alone to the HRE to save Eli. In the past two books, Lizbeth has always had Eli as her trusted sidekick and now she has only herself to rely on. Upon arrival to the HRE, its clear that this society is more political of nature than previous books and I like that Harris ties in themes to each book (similar to racism and sexism in the second inst
Mel
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Russian Cage by Charlaine Harris takes us back into the world of Lizbeth Rose, aka Gunnie Rose, off on a new adventure in the third book of the series.

This time Gunnie Rose is responding to the call of her younger half sister, who sent her a cryptic note she was able to decipher. She is going to need more than good aim in the Holy Russian Empire, where she wont be able to depend on her guns alone.

But what is a gunnie without her guns?

Lizbeth is going to acquire help from some unexpected sou
Janall
Nov 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is actually the third book in a series, and while I didn’t read the other two, I had no trouble following the plot. Lisbeth gets a coded letter from her 1/2 sister (who is away at a Hogwart-esqueboarding school because she is the granddaughter of the famous Russian Magician Rasputin), and tells Elizabeths her flame Eli, has been jailed.
Elizabeth takes off across the county by train to
Anatl
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
K. Lincoln
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this from NetGalley because I love Gunnie Rose. If you are also a fan of Gunnie Rose's matter-of-fact, deadly, competence, and are fascinated with the dichotomy of her ability to read people's intentions without understanding the emotional reasons behind those intentions, then you will also love this book. Not only do we get more of Gunnie Rose being who she is, but we also get to see Gunnie Rose stripped of her beloved colts, thrust into dresses, and having to deal with the arcane politics ...more
Nov 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-reads
Thanks to NetGalley for providing a copy for an unbiased review.

Like many people, I saw Charlaine Harris had a book available for e-arc and immediately jumped at the chance, I was a bit Sookie Stackhouse fan and figured this would be just as fun. Kind of western, kind of magic? Sign me up.

Upon downloading it I realized it was actually the third in the series and I needed to go back and find 1 and 2 so I could properly understand the story of Lizbeth Rose.

In this installment of our favorite Gu
Deborah
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Russian Cage is the third novel in a new series by Charlaine Harris. It follows "gunnie" Lizbeth Rose on her quest to break out her friend/lover from jail in the Holy Roman Empire. Set in an alternate timeline of the US where the assassination of FDR led to the fracturing of the nation into five smaller nations, the Holy Roman Empire on the West coast, the new America in the middle of the country, Texahoma (a merging of Texas and Oklahoma), Dixie (the South mostly) and Britannia on the East ...more
Judy Beetem
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Russian Cage picks up a few months after Lizbeth Rose, gun for hire or "gunnie", returned home from her latest job in Dixie. She married Prince Eli at the end of A Longer Fall, but he returned home to the Holy Russian Empire (California in this universe). Gunnie Rose receives a cryptic letter from her half-sister, Felicia, who supplies blood to the hemophiliac Russian king. Eli has been imprisoned in San Diego and no one knows why or how to get him out. Gunnie Rose boards the train to San Di ...more
Debra
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 stars, rounded down.

First of all, the cover for "The Russian Cage" is beautiful! I definitely judged this book by its cover... and I am okay with that. :)

In general, if you enjoyed the first part of the Gunnie Rose series, you will likely enjoy this installment. If you haven't read books one and two, I recommend reading those first. Book three takes place almost directly after book two, with Lisbeth Rose heading to the Holy Russian Empire to rescue Eli from imprisonment.

There was a continuit
« previous 1 3 4 next »
ratings on first day of advance release 1 5 Aug 29, 2020 06:30AM

• A Stranger in Town (Rockton #6)
  • Persephone Station
  • Slippers And Thieves Special Edition (Fairy Tales of the Magicorum #4)
  • Heartbreak Bay (Stillhouse Lake #5)
  • Anxious People
  • One by One
  • Shadows in Death (In Death, #51)
  • Bandits And Ball Gowns (Fairy Tales of the Magicorum Book 5)
  • Alpha Night (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #4; Psy-Changeling, #19)
  • The Haunting of Beatrix Greene Episode 1 (The Haunting Of Beatrix Greene, #0.1)
  • Project Hail Mary
  • The Sword & Mr. Stone (An Edward Stone - Insurance Adjuster - Adventure #1)
  • Claws for Alarm (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #8)
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Lost Girls of Devon
  • Death at High Tide (Island Sisters Mystery #1)
  • The Tenth Gift
  • Poison or Protect (Delightfully Deadly, #1)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Gunnie Rose (4 books)
  • An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • Untitled (Gunnie Rose #4)