Start by marking “Goodbye, Orchid” as Want to Read:
Goodbye, Orchid

Goodbye, Orchid

Rising from ashes is hard. Giving up the one you love is harder.

Thirty-two year-old Phoenix Walker is an entrepreneur who has built an agency with a heart almost as big as his own. To add to his good fortune, he's falling for Orchid Paige, the beautiful half-Asian marketer who's collaborated with him on a winning military campaign.

They've grown close after months working a
Published October 1st 2020 by Koehler Books

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye, Orchid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye, Orchid

Start your review of Goodbye, Orchid
J.B.
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Goodbye Orchid is a tightly-written, well-researched, heart-wrenching tale that will enthrall both romance and women’s fiction readers from the first chapter. A love story that’s all the more powerful because it feels real—centering first on searing tragedy and loss, then the challenges of learning to rise stronger and move forward, and finally on fighting for the person you love by making yourself vulnerable. An absolutely stunning debut by Carol Van Den Hende—a must-read!
Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks)
I read Goodbye, Orchid in one sitting. I loved the character's and reading from their different viewpoints. Unputdownable! ...more
Dennis Woods
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Goodbye Orchid touches on the very real yet ignored challenges experienced by traumatic injuries; including the prospect of sacrificing one's love for another in order to spare or free them. Ultimately, though, this story's strength is in its resilience and optimism. ...more
InD'tale Magazine
It’s hard to fathom this is a debut novel, “Goodbye Orchid” has captured all the emotions, and readers will not be disappointed!

Read full review in the 2020 October issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Bree Lauren
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aabookshelf
This was much more of a Women's Fiction book than I was expecting, but that was OK. Once I stopped waiting for the romance to truly begin, I was able to enjoy the book for what it was. ⁣

Particularly in the beginning of the book, I found myself underlining so many passages partially because they were beautifully written and also because I related so much to a lot of the thoughts the hero had as he went through this huge life-changing event.⁣

As a romance reader, I definitely wanted more out of t
Denise
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book Review: Goodbye, Orchid: To Love Her, He Had To Leave Her by author, Carol Van Den Hende

Goodbye, Orchid most certainly captured my heart. This beautifully written novel shows the reader that not all storms that come into our lives are meant only to disrupt or destroy~ sometimes those same storms can teach us how truly strong we can be through courage, perseverance, and acceptance.

Phoenix, a man who has it all~ looks, money, a thriving corporate business, an intense attraction for a woman n
Emma Boushie
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Goodbye, Orchid" is absolutely captivating! Be prepared because you won't want to put this book down once you start it. The love story between Orchid & Phoenix reminds us that love conquers all, through thick and thin. Not only is this a riveting story, but the underlying theme of wounded veterans & their hardships make it a great read with an important reminder to us all. I fell in love with Phoenix when reading "Goodbye, Orchid"... he's the perfect guy in my opinion! I'm normally not a huge r ...more
D.V. Stone
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
I couldn't I put Goodbye Orchid down. The story tore my heart out. Both the main characters Orchid and Phoenix, made me cry. Orchid in her determination not to give up on love. Phoenix, because he’s an amazing man with traumatic injuries and dealing with not only the physical but the emotional toll of rehabilitation.
No one is exempt from the cost of the aftermath of the accident. Not Phoenix’s mother. Nor his brother. The struggle
Beth Moylan
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Goodbye Orchid was a wonderful read that will capture your heart and having you thinking about how you would handle the same situation. I could not put this book down. This was a very teachable moment about how you would handle things and about not making judgements about other people.
Rising from ashes is hard. Giving up the one you love is harder.
Susan Cushman
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A modern-day An Affair to Remember, Goodbye Orchid tugs at readers’ heartstrings and takes us on an emotional roller-coaster ride through this serious romance, layered with trauma and lost love. Can Phoenix “rise from the ashes” and learn to live and love again after his life-threatening accident? Can he trust Orchid to see past his limitations and her own traumatic memories? The characters—including Phoenix’s twin brother and friends—are richly drawn, and the themes are timeless. But it’s the s ...more
Ann Frommer
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good Bye Orchid, by Carol Van Den Hende

I read Carol Van Den Hende’s Good By Orchid in two 2 sittings. Hated to put it down.
I liked the short chapters and bold title to introduce the main character n each chapter. She does not distract the reader with too many characters.

A perfect life, Phoenix Walker , had it all…good looks, successful company, admirers and a budding relationship with an exotic woman, named Orchid Page. When a disaster occurred his life changed forever.

The cloistering of his
Rima Sawaya
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I finished Goodbye Orchid at 12:30am because I literally couldn’t put it down. I pretty much read 3/4 of it in the last two days!

The story is so lovely and keeps you guessing 'til the end. The writing is amazing. The characters are so well described. It’s as uplifting as it is captivating.

Honestly I have started and stopped reading many many books this year (after only a few chapters) because they just didn’t hook me, and it’s so wonderful to come across a book that does just the opposite. I’m t
Shirley Hailstock
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a debut novel, this one is a standout. Carol Van Den Hende is a new voice to watch. Goodbye, Orchid will take you into a world of love and redemption like no other...be prepared for that breath of awe when you read the final word.
Megan Forziati
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put it down! “Goodbye, Orchid” is a magnificent novel full of love, perseverance, and the true ebb and flow characteristic of life’s greatest challenges. An absolute must read!
Stacey
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was great!!
Lisa Wetzel
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We are told never to judge a book by its cover, until you see Goodbye,Orchid by Carol VanDenHende. A beautifully written novel that is true to life!! VanDenHende takes a love story and puts it through so many different emotions that will make you laugh and cry together! This love story evolves around a tragic debilitating accident and how someone comes back from it! From recuperation to learning how to deal and cope with the issues and then how to go on in the future are all well researched and ...more
Scott Gould
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Van Den Hende's debut novel is wonderfully paced, a tightly-woven narrative that strikes a delicate emotional balance between the desires of the characters and the situations into which they find themselves (often through no fault of their own) inescapably drawn. By expertly navigating the various points of view in the novel, Van Den Hende shows us real people with real feelings, making the tough decisions between what they want, what they need and what they know they can never have. Goodbye, Or ...more
Chris Warchal
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely pulled into the intense telling of the story of Phoenix and Orchid right from the first chapter! Carol Van Den Hende did a marvelous job of developing characters I truly cared about and became invested in their future. Carol also brought us a fully recognizable cast of characters of which we could understand the role they played in the development of this beautifully written equally heartbreaking and heartwarming story. Hard to put down once I began reading!
Bambi Rathman
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I open a novel and the first pages are a "gotcha" like the pages of Goodbye, Orchid, I know I'm in for an exceptional read. Oh, my gosh! Is this ever one of those books! I have a book hangover from such an amazing story written with intricate details and emotional passages that took my heart and tore it to pieces. I find myself almost speechless trying to form words for a review. Wow! How Ms. VanDenHende took me into the emotional depths of her characters is beyond description. This is the ...more
Jen Lowry
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This adult contemporary romance will keep you up late reading. Don't say I didn't warn you! It's an emotional coaster ride right from the very beginning and doesn't stop taking you for a soul ride until the very last page. You'll fall in love with Phoenix and Orchid from the start, and this instant connection will drag you (sometimes kicking and screaming, other times cheering and hoping) through all of their twists and turns! ...more
Trace Chesser
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Goodbye Orchid was a great read! As part of my occupation, I work with people (veterans) with disabilities, so this story quickly drew me in. I had to keep reading to find out what happens, which is not normal for someone who typically wouldn’t find this type of story to keep my attention for long. Goodbye Orchid shared the concept that life can change in a moment and you can do with that change. I highly recommend reading.
Samantha Evans
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just wow! What a very good book! What an amazing love story. I was convinced to read the book by just looking at the beautiful cover! It was such a delight! Phoenix is such an interesting character all throughout the book! He meeting Orchid, and it all went from there. It was such a good book, and I will not say much because I am bad at spoiling. So much happened all through the book! It is so worth the read! I recommend this for sure!
Jaimi Talarico
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read!
Cheryl
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book and read it almost in one sitting. I was drawn to Phoenix and Orchid. Although, I do feel like Phoenix did not give Orchid a fair chance in the beginning. As the author says; Phoenix and Orchid did get their happy ending but they really had to work at it. They just needed time.

However, I did understand where Phoenix was coming from due to the tragic accident that he endured. He was bitter and thought that his life was over. Yet, he learned that just because you have a disa
Dr Helene
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
"I read Goodbye, Orchid in just two days. The characters and plot were very compelling. They emotionally engaged me, which not all books do. The book gave me a flash of insight. You see, I've been dealing with back issues this last decade. But I realized if Phoenix and all the other characters in your book can bounce back and go on to live happy and successful lives, I can be a little more optimistic about what I can do. I especially loved these lines 'Phoenix felt hope resist stubbornly then ri ...more
Pippa
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I love, love, loved "Goodbye, Orchid"! I'm privileged to have received an advanced copy and read it at the beach. It was so worth it! The book does an amazing job creating a set of characters you will immediately wish were your friends! Such a roller-coaster of emotion but also at the heart, a real-life situation that could easily happen to any of us. Goodbye, Orchid deserves every accolade and great review! You all have a treat in store!
Barbara McNally
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Goodbye, Orchid shines a spotlight on the often unspoken side of wounds and ultimately, healing. This beautiful story shows the impact on those transformed as a result of tragedy, and the resulting hope that follows. Carol’s book is relevant to anyone facing the challenge of wounds or caring for someone they love who is wounded by war, accident or illness. Love heals.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, where the severe physical limitations due to an accident pale in comparison to the emotional ones. Several characters have to figure out their true feelings and battle against misconceptions, both external and in their own minds. You will definitely feel frustrated for them throughout the novel, and will be rooting for them to figure it out!
Isabel Calderon
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is sensitively written and draws the reader in immediately. Be prepared to read this book as fast as you can as you will find it challenging to put down. A realistic portrayal of love that one might anticipate when the needs of others are put before our own and the potential loss when communications are cut off. Treat yourself to this book!
Roberta Berardi
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
Here's another recipe for cheesy success.

Here's a small list of some of the things that are wrong with this novel:

1) This is all about a guy who loses a leg and a hand in an accident, and, even if we might sympathise with him in his terrible and shocking situation, it's pretty evident that he's a manipulative chauvinist. First of all, he deprives Orchid (his woman) of her right to choose whether she wants to be on his side after the amputation. He leaves her when she's away for work, without let
« previous 1 3 next »

• Come Tomorrow (Castaway Christmas #1)
  • Christmas Sisters (Soul Sisters at Cedar Mountain Lodge, #1)
  • Shadow and Light
  • The Moonlight Child
  • When We Were Young & Brave
  • The Last Story of Mina Lee
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • The Betrayal (Olivia Sinclair #1)
  • Goddess
  • Millicent Glenn's Last Wish
  • The Rescue
  • The Spinster (Emerson Pass Historicals #2)
  • Leave the World Behind