Start by marking “First Gear (Sadie Hawkins Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Gear (Sadie Hawkins Mystery, #1)

First Gear

(Sadie Hawkins Mystery #1)

Recently divorced, petite and feisty Texan, Sadie Hawkins, struggles to get her newly established logistics business off the ground. When the opportunity to haul antiquities, including a mummy, drops into her lap, she jumps at the chance, despite the tight timeline. But when her cargo gets stolen and a fresh corpse mysteriously replaces the mummy, Sadie is arrested for the ...more
Published August 4th 2020

To ask other readers questions about First Gear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Gear

Start your review of First Gear (Sadie Hawkins Mystery, #1)
Carlin
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, #1 in the Sadie Hawkins mystery series. Apparently this was the author's first mystery having won awards for a paranormal romance series. I certainly hope she continues with Sadie Hawkins, a unlikely but intrepid heroine.

Five feet tall, owning a moving company she inherited from her uncle, Sadie is behind in bills and needs to take any job that comes her way. She is tasked with moving a truck load of antiques including a sarcophagus (with mummy!). When the antiques dis
Heena Rathore Pardeshi
First Gear by Patricia C. Lee marks the start to a new detective fiction series that revolves around the female protagonist, Sadie Hawkins.

I'm generally not a huge fan of detective fiction genre, but I like a good detective mystery and given that this was the first book in the series, I had no inhibitions to dive right in. The story was good, the characterisation was okay - the characters were likeable, though not overly relatable, the narration was decent and the ending was good.

The best thing
Lori
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I received an Advanced Review Copy of this book. This was a light mystery that can be read in one or two sittings. The main character, Sadie Hawkins, was pretty well fleshed out and there were various side characters that were part of her life and the story. This appears to be the first in a series. It was an enjoyable read because the characters were likable, the plot kept moving along and there was humor throughout. However some plot points were predictable. Also the male characters kept havin ...more
Roxx Tarantini
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, humour
The first book in a series, the first attempt at mystery from an award-winning author in the paranormal romance genre, AND a new-to-me author! With all these things going for it, I was prepared to enjoy First Gear. I wasn't disappointed.

The only sticking point - if it can be called that - was that the heroine's name was a bit of a distraction. Sadie Hawkins brings up all sorts of connotations of grade school hijinks for me - Sadie Hawkins Day, sock hops, etc - so yes, a distraction.

BUT, not enou
Daniel
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review on my site Reading1000Lives.com

If you are looking for one last relaxing ‘beach read’ as the summer winds down, an enjoyable mystery/thriller I’d recommend would be First Gear, a quick escape from pandemic-driven anxiety with a plucky protagonist and compelling supporting supporting characters. Previous author of a paranormal romance series, Patricia C. Lee here turns to a mystery series featuring Sadie Hawkins, a recently divorced Texan who has inherited her uncle’s logistics company
Linda Fore
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Despite her short stature and cute looks, Sadie Hawkins is the owner and only full- time driver of Hawkins Transportation. She is trying to revive the company after the death of her uncle and the dissolution of her marriage to an attorney. Despite her hard work, the bills are piling up and the jobs are not.

When Sadie gets a call to pick up a load of antiques and a sarcophagus, her real troubles began. No one was at home at the delivery address and someone decided to relieve her of her load excep
Lisa
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksirens, mystery
Sadie Hawkins is a short and sassy Texas girl who's inherited the family shipping business. A job goes horribly wrong when there's a dead man in a sarcophagus instead of the expected mummy, and Sadie feels like she's got to help the investigation along to save her business.

This is Patricia C. Lee's first mystery novel, and it was a fun read! It's got a strong-willed female heroine in Sadie, a couple of "will they/won't they" love interest possibilities, and suspense aplenty. The action moved alo
Tammy
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
First Gear is the first book in the Sadie Hawkins Mystery series. The book does a good job of drawing you into the story, so much so that I raced through the book to find out how it ends. Sadie is an interesting character and you really want to see her succeed. I really liked how things were tied up at the end of the book. We also get a teaser of a possible storyline in the next book, so I definitely want to see what happens in book two.

Where the book lost me a little bit was with the amount of
Bonnijean Marley
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book.

Sadie is not the typical protagonist, yet the character is mostly believable. The book is a quick read even though there's a lot of background. The final chapter is setting up for the second novel and leaves the reader dangling a bit. Although the book is a mystery, it was nice to have some humorous moments like the one that has Sadie dealing with a dognapping during a moving job. If you like a good mystery with likable characters, I recommend First Gear.

I received an
Emily
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this Mystery. The main character Sadie is a real firer cracker! Sadie is trying like hell to take care of her family and ends up in a mess of trouble. Once Sadie is determine to try to find out what is going on the fun begins. I love all the characters in this story and can’t wait to find out more about them. You have a hacker, former gang member, Cop, DJ, an ex who is a lawyer and Sadie’s best friend. I like the writing because flowed well. I could picture Sadie and the story ver ...more
Marie McNary
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of fun. Sadie is making her way in the male dominated world of moving / hauling and her adventures are sure to draw you in. Once I started I didn’t want to put the book down. Sadie is an example in overcoming adversity and making lemonade when the world gives you lemons. Great book!

Ellen
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Won this book from an author giveaway. This book is really good. I enjoyed reading about Sadie. I still have some questions about her marriage but I think more information may come in the next book. Also want her best friend needs. Looking forward to the next book.
Jeanette Melton
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this amateur sleuth book. The characters were quirky and fun. There was also a good amount of mystery. I will definitely be reading more in this series. Thanks to Book Sirens for the privilege to read and review this book.
Rebecca Brown
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. I loved the character of

Sadie. Hope to read more by this author. Loved the book...
Valerie
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Good writing style.
Annette
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2020
This was a really quick book. I was sucked into the story from page one. I really enjoyed this book! Sadie reminded me so much of Stephanie Plum.
Looks like it will be a series too, looking forward to the next one.
Thanks to Book Sirens for the early copy
Aug 29, 2020
Daniel
added it
Aug 03, 2020

• Initiation: Year 1 (Fallen Fae Academy, #1)
  • No Dukes Need Apply (The Impossible Balfours Book 4)
  • The Ocean's Slave Mystery (A mystery and suspense second chance clean romance series Book 6)
  • A Rake at the Highland Court (The Highland Ladies #5)
  • The House That Fell From The Sky
  • Dignity and Grace
  • The Christmas Table (Christmas Hope, #10)
  • The Secrets of Saffron Hall
  • The Day Lincoln Lost
  • A Million Reasons Why
  • Little Disasters
  • The Dazzling Truth
  • The Garden of Promises and Lies (Found Things, #3)
  • The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
  • Lies, Lies, Lies
  • Memories of Wild Rose Bay
  • Endless Skies
  • The Suicide House (Rory Moore/Lane Phillips, #2)
Pat is a playwright and award winning author who has had a love affair with the written word since childhood, many times immersing herself in the stories of Enid Blyton and Carolyn Keene. Her active imagination gave inspiration to short stories and her first play as a teen.

Her full-length play The Truth About Lies was staged at a regional theatrical competition in 2006. She was selected as "One of