Start by marking “When Will There Be Good News? (Jackson Brodie #3)” as Want to Read:
When Will There Be Good News? (Jackson Brodie #3)

When Will There Be Good News?

(Jackson Brodie #3)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  34,955 ratings  ·  3,158 reviews
On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country lane. A moment later, Joanna's life is changed forever.
On a dark night thirty years later, ex-detective Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. Lost in his thoughts, he suddenly hears a shocking sound.
At the end of a long day, 16-year-old Reggie is looking forward
Published January 2nd 2009 by Black Swan (first published September 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about When Will There Be Good News?, please sign up.
Eileen H. I would. I didn't realize this was a series until I read two out of order. Not earth-shaking, but I would have preferred to have begun at the…moreI would. I didn't realize this was a series until I read two out of order. Not earth-shaking, but I would have preferred to have begun at the beginning.(less)

·  34,955 ratings  ·  3,158 reviews

Start your review of When Will There Be Good News? (Jackson Brodie #3)
Jaline
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-completed
Once again, Kate Atkinson has written a novel that fires off with sketched pencil outlines that gradually become filled in, fleshed out with colours both brilliant and ominous.

In this third (of five, so far) Jackson Brodie novel, we become re-acquainted with several returning characters. As I observed in her last novel, these characters are like streamers floating in an uncertain breeze suspended from a common source – a maypole perhaps – each one with their own backstory, their own tragic or
Peter
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, netgalley
Circumstance
When Will There Be Good News? is a thriller from the wonderful Kate Atkinson that is the third book in the Jackson Brodie series but can be read as a standalone. The novel is full of suspense, surprises and a fair splattering of coincidence. The opening scene shocked me! Kate Atkinson writes with an unrestrained scope and mixes a fascinating plot with great characters. She teases us with humour while masking the opportunity of dropping cruel murderous bombshells. The plot is a mix of
Paromjit
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a joy to return to Kate Atkinson's rather unusual offbeat crime series featuring Jackson Brodie, full of wry wit and humour, and her trademark case studies of the lives of the main characters. It is a story in which for the characters, the title of the novel is particularly apt, given the horror, trauma and tragedies that have blighted their lives. In a rural part of Devon, 6 year old Joanna is to have her life ripped apart by horrors that no-one should ever have to experience, which result ...more
karen
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so, when i heard kate atkinson had a new book i thought "yayyy!!" and then when i found out it was another jackson brodie novel i said "boooo!!" i thought the first one was great, but the second was a lot weaker. there's a reason i tend not to read genre fiction like sci-fi and mystery - because i just don't want to commit to ten books about the same world. i would rather read one book that is self-contained and never visit the characters again.(and yes i know - Donald Harington is exempt from ...more
PattyMacDotComma
“Twenty years ago she too would have found his moodiness attractive. Now she just wanted to punch him. But then she seemed to want to punch everyone at the moment.”

There’s a lot to be angry about in this third of Atkinson’s Jackson Brodie series, and there were plenty of times I wanted to punch somebody too – or worse. In this instance, she is Detective Chief Inspector Louse Monroe, and he is a man suspected of fraud who’s just opened his front door and smiled sarcastically at her warrant card.
Nette
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is grim, violent, sad (dead kids, dead moms, dead dogs), and also hilarious and uplifting (passionate cops, a ferociously maternal doctor, and a heroic dog who makes it all the way through -- sorry if that's a spoiler, but I would have wanted to know.) The character of 16-year-old Reggie should be given a special literary prize for Best Plucky Orphan Since Oliver Twist. Deeply satisfying and I can't wait for the next one.
Phrynne
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
I am steadily rereading my way through the Jackson Brodie novels to prepare myself for the latest release, Big Sky. And it is so much fun! Don't forget that I am one of Kate Atkinson's biggest fans so if I rave a bit, forgive me.

When Will There Be Good News?is Kate at her very best. The story is intriguing, beginning with a mass murder with one survivor, a small six year old girl called Joanna. Fast forward to thirty years later and Joanna is the well respected Dr.Hunter, living in an expensive
Dagný
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is a book which one reads paradoxically wishing it never ended- because it is so good- yet one races to finish- being compelled to- without skipping a word.

My heart was aching for the main characters to come through and survive; for the good to prevail; for some things to go right. This was so suspenseful, more so than anything I have read lately.

Never thought Loeb's green classics, which I can see sitting pretty on a shelf, would be referenced in a suspense novel. It is a part of the
Rorie
Dec 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The whole time I was reading this book, I kept waiting for something to actually happen and make sense. There were so many characters and it took almost til the end of the book before they came together. Then she would have the characters make reference to so many different people and I could never remember who those people were or what role they had in the story (most of them didn't have a roll at all)
There were way too many useless words in the book. The author had every single character
Mark
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction

Kate Atkinson returns to form in the third book in her Jackson Brodie series. With her usual mix of strong mystery plot elements and finely drawn relationships, "When Will There Be Good News" fairly hums along, and it works even better in this case because Jackson Brodie, the former cop turned private eye turned rich pensioner, is not actually the centerpiece of this novel.

If there is a hero and fulcrum of this book, it is the wonderful new character of Reggie Chase, a 16-year-old who looks as
Michael
This book made me laugh and cry more than once, so it gets my vote. I felt the vividness of Atkinson's talent with the first in the series, Case Histories, but that one felt a bit contrived and manipulative to me. This one, the third, maybe does both, but it was a much more fun ride because of the emotional engagement it achieved for me. It plucks the heart strings with its 16 year-old heroine Reggie, whose love for the missing Dr. Hunter and the baby she serves as nanny moves her to many brave ...more
Paul E. Morph
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My enjoyment of Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie novels increases with each book. You only have to look at my ratings: I gave the first one three stars, the second one four stars and now I find I can't not give this third volume five out of five.

This book begins with a horrific multiple murder and things go downhill from there. I kid, I kid... After the grisly opening, we jump forward thirty years to present day to see what the sole survivor of the initiating incident's life looks like now. While
Antoinette
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to categorize a Kate Atkinson detective/mystery novel- they really are so much more. To me they are literary novels with some mysteries within their pages. Why I love this series- They are intricately plotted with interesting characters and storylines.
This is the third in the Jackson Brodie novels. I think it has been the best so far and I loved all three. He is definitely not the only person we encounter in this book. We meet Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe. She and Jackson
Trin
Sep 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, stab me in the heart some more, Kate. Atkinson’s Jackson Brodie novels (the trilogy that begins with Case Histories) just get more and more depressing. This latest is simply brutal. And yet…I loved reading it, in spite of how bleak it is, in spite of the fact that the plot relies on some rather ridiculous Dickensian coincidences, in spite of Atkinson’s apparent hatred of semi-colons and love of comma splices. I’m not sure what it is, exactly, but I just love the way Atkinson’s characters ...more
Megan Baxter
By some celestial alignment and confluence of book lists, I read two Kate Atkinson books in a row - Behind the Scenes at the Museum, which I've already reviewed and very much enjoyed, and this one. I don't like this one nearly as much.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Kim

I often have problems with crime fiction series. I love the idea of returning to an interesting world in the company of a well-loved character, but often the expectation of enjoyment engendered by the previous books in a series doesn't continue to be met. Well, with this series it's a matter of so far, so good. In fact, maybe it's so far, so much better. Admittedly, this is only Atkinson's third novel to feature Jackson Brodie, but it is probably my favourite to date.

This is not traditional
Michael
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2008
While walking home one day, six-year-old Joanna Mason's family is attacked and killed by a man wielding a butcher knife. Joanna escapes by fleeing into a cornfield and hiding. She's eventually found and the killer is caught and sent to jail.

Now before you get upset with me for revealing too much, let me just say that all of what I described above happens in the first twenty or so pages of Kate Atkinson's latest novel "When Will There Be Good News?" The death of Joanna's family is the catalyst
Bill Khaemba

“A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen”

Another great installment to this unique crime series. Honestly, how she puts together a story is absolutely stunning and refreshing. You get so much character depth from her books than in any other crime novel I have read (Apart from The Millennium Trilogy)

“Just because something bad had happened to her doesn't mean it won't happen again.”

In this installment we follow Jackson Brodie as he is yet shoved into another mystery that he
James Thane
Joanna Mason, a six-year-old girl, was the only person to escape when a madman killed her mother, sister and baby brother. Thirty years later, Joanna is a successful doctor with a baby of her own when the madman is released from prison. Regina Chase is Joanna's precocious sixteen-year-old mother's assistant; Neil Hunter, Joanna's husband, is an entrepreneur with big troubles.

Police detective Louise Monroe, recently married herself, is attempting to protect a woman and her children from an
Louise Wilson
Jackson Brodie #3

Six year old Joanna Mason was the only person to escape when a madman killed her mother, sister and baby brother. Now, thirty years later,Joanna is a successful Doctor with a baby of her own. The madman is being released from prison after serving his sentence. Jackson Brodie is an ex-policeman who is now retired but still does some investigative work. Louise is a stickler to the rules policewoman. There are three separate storylines in this book and in parts I found it
Erin
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, books-i-own
A full cast of characters made this one a slow burn, but I read it on one sitting and as I reached the half way mark, the story really accelerated in speed.

Goodreads review published 19/08/19
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Atkinson was, for me, a slowly acquired taste. I'd read 'Case Histories' and 'One Good Turn' and, while I found much to admire in each book, I ended up keeping my distance, put off by the violent quirkiness of her plots and characters. In fact, I remember so little about her first book, the 1995 Whitbread Book of the Year,'Behind the Scenes at the Museum,' that I must have dropped it after the first few pages.
'When Will There Be Good News', her most recent book, made me a fan. There's
Kaethe Douglas
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, feminism
The first few Atkinson books I read I was kind of "meh" about. I didn't really love them, but I liked her writing enough to keep trying. Then she published the first two Jackson Brodie books and I enjoyed them enormously. And then, although I kept adding all her new books to my TBR list, somehow none of them ever made it to the top. Don't be like me. Put Atkinson at the top of your list. [I've got A God in Ruins standing by as soon as I finish this other book, and the others are at the top of ...more
SueLucie
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
How I adore Kate Atkinson’s writing and the Jackson Brodie series in particular, brilliantly written and so entertaining. Her characters do it for me and in this book 16-year-old Reggie takes centre stage. Reggie is an absolute delight, everything seems to have gone wrong for her yet she remains optimistic. She is street-savvy, resourceful and utterly loyal to her friends. In this case her employer, Dr Hunter, and her baby are missing and Reggie won’t rest until she finds them. She engages the ...more
LJ
WHEN WILL THERE BE GOOD NEWS? (Pol Proc-Jackson Brodie-England-Cont) – Ex
Atkinson, Kate – 3rd in Jackson Brodie series
Doubleday, 2008, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 9780385608015

First Sentence: The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.

Dr. Joanna Hunter (nee’ Mason) is the only survivor of an attack that killed her mother, sister and brother. Now, thirty years later, the man responsible has been released from prison.
Anna
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the third in the Jackson Brodie series, and is probably my favourite so far.

I adore Jackson. As ever, he’s a magnet for trouble, both personally and professionally; it’s these stumbles, and how he deals with them, which make him so readable, so lovable. He shares this book with would-be lover DCI Louise, teenage girl Reggie, whose determination in adversity is adorable, and tragic childhood survivor Joanna. They, and all their issues and secrets, are brought together to make a thrilling
Brian
Apr 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When Will There Be Good News? won the Richard & Judy Best Read at the British Book Awards. It's been very favourably reviewed in The Guardian, the Sunday Times and the Telegraph, and by innumerable Goodreads members. I find this bewildering.

I very much enjoyed Behind The Scenes At The Museum, which won the Whitbread First Novel award but that was literary fiction whereas this is crime. I must admit, I don't generally read crime, though I have enjoyed John Banville's forays into the genre.
Wendi Lee
What can I say about another great Kate Atkinson book? You should read this (well, start with the first Jackson Brodie book) if you like mysteries and police procedurals. You should read this is you just like interesting books with well-developed books. This is labelled a Jackson Brodie book, but it's so much more than an ex-cop's story. It's about victims of terrible crimes, going on with their lives. It's about plucky orphans (Reggie is my favorite character!) who read classic literature, and ...more
Dianne
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
The third book in the Jackson Brodie private investigator series introduces two new intriguing female characters: one is a bright 16 year old orphan, the other a GP. The creative writing skills of Kate Atkinson always shine in unexpected ways. In this book each character represents a fictional person in a poem we all remember from our school years; this makes one want to review their poetry books. The thing I like the most about Kate Atkinson is her earthiness, her lack of pretension and her ...more
Shaun
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Picked this up off the library shelf randomly. First Kate Atkison book. Loved it, despite the fact that it was the third in a series of which I have not read the previous books.

Layered characters, flawed and on the verge of being irredeemable (my favorite kind). Superb writing. The story took some time to get going, but I am patient reader and did not mind. Will be reading the entire series.
Kate Atkinson: consistently enjoyable 'best-seller' author 2 10 Feb 17, 2019 09:18AM
Giveaways 1 14 Jun 20, 2018 07:55AM
What happened? 14 227 May 15, 2016 01:56PM
Goodreads Librari...: Add number of CDs or hours to a listing 5 30 Mar 28, 2016 02:22PM
Mansfield Public ...: When Will There Be Good News Review by Ann Marie Orza 1 16 Aug 15, 2013 11:06AM

• A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson | Summary & Analysis
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • The Dutch House
  • Conviction
  • Lady in the Lake
  • Olive, Again
  • The Witch Elm
  • The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)
  • Wolfe Island
  • The Lost Man
  • A Single Thread
  • The Scholar (Cormac Reilly, #2)
  • Chances Are...
  • Akin
  • Knife (Harry Hole, #12)
  • The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
  • Kingdom of the Blind (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #14)
Kate Atkinson was born in York and now lives in Edinburgh. Her first novel, Behind the Scenes at the Museum, won the Whitbread Book of the Year Award and she has been a critically acclaimed international bestselling author ever since.

She is the author of a collection of short stories, Not the End of the World, and of the critically acclaimed novels Human Croquet, Emotionally Weird, Case Histories,

Jackson Brodie (5 books)
  • Case Histories (Jackson Brodie #1)
  • One Good Turn (Jackson Brodie, #2)
  • Started Early, Took My Dog (Jackson Brodie, #4)
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
“Oh, God. What was happening to her, she was turning into a normal person.” 25 likes
“A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen” 18 likes