Start by marking “Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection” as Want to Read:
Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection

Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection

(Rivers of London #1.5, 1.6, 4.6, 5.65, 6.5)

Return to the world of Rivers of London in this first short story collection from bestselling author, Ben Aaronovitch. Tales from the Folly is a carefully curated collection that gathers together previously published stories and brand new tales in the same place for the first time.

Each tale features a new introduction from the author, filled with insight and anecdote offer
Published July 31st 2020 by JABberwocky Literary Agency, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Tales from the Folly, please sign up.
Ben It doesn't need to from a plot point of view. However, it features characters' POV other than Peter from later books, so you may enjoy it more if you'…moreIt doesn't need to from a plot point of view. However, it features characters' POV other than Peter from later books, so you may enjoy it more if you're come across those characters already(less)

Start your review of Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
carol.
Nov 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: serious fans
Mostly as advertised, a short story collection set in the Peter Grant universe, although it's worth clarifying that Peter does not appear in perhaps half the stories. I do appreciate that these were made available to fans at large, as the majority of the pieces were 'bonuses' inside the Waterstones hardcover editions, and as such, not widely available. Only one piece is unique to this edition, 'Three Rivers.' Sadly, I think this is one I will be bypassing in hardcover, as I happen to have a few ...more
Hank
Nov 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned_kindle
Underwhelmed. I had read the two best stories already and the rest were mediocre at best. A couple had such abrupt endings, I thought I had missing pages. Short stories should still have a bit of an endimg.
Myth
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
NOT ENOUGH NIGHTINGALE. ONE STAR.
Obviously I'm kidding (about the rating, not the lack of Nightingale)(one short? I'm dying here)
I've actually read a bunch of these before but the ones I hadn't were just as enjoyable as the ones I still loved.
Andrew
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I sometimes wonder if giving an author continually high praise can create a blind spot - the fact that you could never accept that a piece of work is not up to their previous standards means that you might miss something - well in the case of this collection of short stories I don't think so. I raced through the ebook (I hope that it comes out in paper format to so it can join the other editions) devouring the stories of the ever growing cast of characters.

What I found fascinating were the short
Judith von Kirchbach
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great fun !

A great companion piece to the Peter Grant/ Rivers of London series, fleshing out the world he lives and works in. It was great to get some background on the ever expanding cast of characters. I particularly enjoyed the Christmas tale about Abigail and can't wait to hear more in her novella. An enjoyable read !
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/11/19/...

I have been waiting a long time for an anthology like Tales from the Folly to come along. As much as I adore the Rivers of London series, many of the author’s short stories set in that world have slipped through the cracks. After all, it’s kind of hard to keep track when there are so many of them floating around, not to mention I’m not exactly a short fiction kind of person, so I lack the motivation to track each one down,
Mark
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely written

Some very good stories, and at the end some very interesting shorts.

Well worth reading, keeps us readers interested in this world.
Paul
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Didn't draw me in as much as the other works in the series.
Hobart
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
If asked, I'd have thought I posted about this book weeks ago, so imagine my surprise this past weekend when I saw this title still on my "To Be Written" list when I was checking for something else. Better late than never...

WHAT ARE THE TALES FROM THE FOLLY?
The subtitle pretty much gives it away, really. These are shorter works set in the Rivers of London series. The Folly is the unofficial name for the recognized British magical organizat
AndrewP
I had read a few of these stories before but it was nice to hear them in audiobook form. Kobna Holbrook-Smith reads the Peter Grant stories and and other narrators read the stories that are told from a different viewpoint. Aaronovitch himself narrates a brief introduction to each story which was a bonus. (If you haven't heard him before he sounds just like a character out of one of his own books, London accent and all.)

Good stuff and defiantly a must if you're a Rivers of London fan.
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
3 Stars
Adrian
‘I have reason to believe that you are consorting with a spirit in contravention of the Act against Conjuration, Witchcraft and Dealing with Evil and Wicked Spirits 1604,’ I said.

Peter Grant is back and he's brought along all of his friends. These short stories have featured in various places as bonus or additional content and now they are finally collated into one handy ebook.

Ben Aaronovitch also sets out a clear timeline of the books and graphic novels and explains where each of these tal
Jenette
I just have so much love for this series.
farmwifetwo
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranoramal
Own - London Square
Beth
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, stories
A fleeting pleasure at fewer than two hundred pages, but a pleasure nevertheless! As always, I wanted more Nightingale, but I was glad for the opportunity to catch up with some favorite recurring minor characters, like Professor Postmartin.
Alex Sarll
A collection of the various short stories hitherto hidden away in Waterstones-exclusive editions, audio-only giveaways and such; TBH, I wouldn't have expected it for another few books yet, slim as it is, but possibly the publisher needed a quick financial hit to help with the current crappiness, and who can blame them? The Peter Grant stories are mostly little done-in-one short mysteries, though as with the comics, some do shed extra light on characters who've subsequently popped up in the novel ...more
Emmalyn Renato
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ben Aaronovitch is another of my drop everything authors. This collection of short stories set in the world of the Rivers of London was published last week, and was a nice quick read and change of pace from the two novels that I'd currently been reading. First half of the book are stories with Peter Grant as the MC; the second half are stories (and moments) with other characters as the MC of each one. I felt the stories in the first section were much more polished. The "moments" felt like filler ...more
Tricia
Sep 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, have, kindle
it's no secret that I love the Rivers of London books, and I do love a good short story. The writing of a good short story is a skill to be admired and is much underrated in my view. Mr Aaronovitch presents us with a series of background tales featuring the characters who touch The Folly is some way or other.

I love the use of short stories scattered in amongst an ongoing series, they are an excellent way of fleshing out some of the minor characters who float around the edges but still capture yo
Lacer
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A collection of short stories from the Rivers of London universe, most of which have appeared elsewhere, although personally I’d only previously ‘read’ A Rare Book of Cunning Device, which had been commissioned by Audible as a short.

Anyway, part one is Peter Grant stories, which are always good, there is just something so relaxing about the dulcet tones of the narrator, Kobna Holbrook-Smith and the familiar Rivers of London jazz theme tune (I always have to read my Rivers of London as audiobook
Nofar Spalter
Aaronovitch tells us repeatedly that the short stories in this collection were written under duress, and it feels like it. He's normally so great at painting a scene, bringing a setting to life, making a complex plot flow effortlessly, so it was disappointing to read what felt like a set of phoned in, forgettable stories. The characters are solid, but most of them are from other stories. The only story that had a bit of emotional depth was lost to a nothing plot (the Uncle one). Aaronovitch's wr ...more
Marci
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
The short stories in this collection are a little uneven: Some are great and fully formed. Some feel like a longer piece that just stopped at a convenient stopping point. I just passed a review that says "not enough Nightingale" and that's very true. Also, not enough Molly.
But the worst of the stories are 3-star stories (good, fun, a little disappointing) and I felt like the really good bits made up for the only okay bits.
The other Sandy
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
About half the stories starred Peter Grant, the protagonist from the Rivers of London books, and I enjoyed those very much. The other half starred secondary characters from the wider Rivers of London universe, and I liked those a little less, because in a lot of cases I either didn't remember the character or remembered them only dimly, and therefore didn't care about them very much.
Darcy
I had read a lot of these ones before, but that didn't stop me from enjoying these. It's always fun to be back into this world.
Jon
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good! But very short. Only lasted half a day.
Roo Barb
Probably not s good place to start if you've never read the main books, go start with book one and know I'm jealous of your journey into the unknown. Rereading is never quite the same as those first steps.

These stories just add so much more to our knowledge and understanding. As I've listened I've gone back immediately and relistened again to some to be sure I'd got all the hints and nuances.

This won't be the last time I listen or read these, next time will be in chronological order, now that w
Helen
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook is great fun, especially due to the cast of voice actors who all do a great job.
BuddyErhardt
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
These stories add some lovely details to "The Rivers" universe.
However, for some stories the briefness and sudden endings work quite well, but for most the ending is too brief & sudden, leaving too many things unexplained. Something that Aaronvitch (starting with Foxglove Summer) seems to be making a (bad) habit of...
Hanne
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very charming little collection of Folly-related short stories.
Jamie Bowen
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, ben-aaronovitch
A collection of short stories from the Rivers of London series, after Ben wrote them especially for Waterstones editions of his books. They are a great addition to the series, and spread across a number of the books, so potentially some spoilers if you’ve not read the series yet, although I doubt it would spoil them too much. Often very funny and Toby the dog gets to play a few vital parts in the stories. If there was one complaint I’d have loved a short story on Nightingale.
***Dave Hill
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, text
Delightful collection of short stories and vignettes that make me long for more. I enjoy the Folly books a lot, even with their ever-burgeoning cast, but sometimes they seem to be trying to do too many things at once. These shorter works allow Aaronovitch to focus more, and even where the plot is weak (or, by design, non-existent), the characters and setting and situations more than make up for it. Lovely.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Vinyl Detective: Low Action (Vinyl Detective 5)
  • Hard Time (The Time Police, #2)
  • Masquerade in Lodi (Penric & Desdemona, #9)
  • The Pearl King (Crow Investigations, #4)
  • Dead Lies Dreaming (Dead Lies Dreaming #1)
  • A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking
  • The Quantum Curators and the Fabergé Egg
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • French Leave (King's Watch #4)
  • Joy To The World (Frogmorton Farm, #2.5)
  • The Green Man's Silence (Green Man #3)
  • The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
  • The Constant Rabbit
  • Ink & Sigil (Ink & Sigil, #1)
  • Oranges and Lemons (Bryant & May: Peculiar Crimes Unit, #17)
  • Six Furlongs (The Kings Watch #8)
  • The Physicians of Vilnoc (Penric and Desdemona, #8)
  • Ballistic Kiss (Sandman Slim, #11)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London (9 books)
  • Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
  • Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Rivers of London, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London, #6)
  • Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London, #7)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)