Start by marking “Dearest Josephine” as Want to Read:

Dearest Josephine

Caroline George sweeps readers up into two different time periods with an unexpected love story that prompts us to reimagine what it means to be present with the people we love.

2020: Chocolate and Earl Grey tea can’t fix Josie De Clare’s horrible year. She mourned the death of her father and suffered a teen-life crisis, which delayed her university plans. But when her fath
Published February 2nd 2021 by Thomas Nelson

Start your review of Dearest Josephine
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Okay! I’m confused. So many thought balloons flying above my head! A three star read normally means I’m standing at Switzerland border: neither I liked it too much nor I hated this book!

But this time: I liked and I disliked several things at the same time about my reading. Yes, this is another first which also meant it was compelling thing to decide between three and four stars, evaluating my pros and cons.

For giving a clear picture of my foggy opinions I listed the reasons why I liked and dis
Abbie | nerdyabbie
I’m grinning like an idiot, and I can’t stop.

This book was a rollercoaster of emotions. It took a minute for me to get into it, because of the format, but it was so compelling. This would honestly make a great movie. I loved Josie! She always had me laughing. She was so relatable.

He touched my candy with his tobacco-stained fingers and said, “One awful period, huh?”

All manners went out the shop’s window. Instead of answering the question with a polite NO, I wiped my tears and yelled, “Neil,
Nadine Brandes
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DEAREST JOSEPHINE is the type of story that becomes your own. The characters’ heartaches worked their way into my own chest until I hurt with them, hoped with them, and dared to dream with them. This book is teeming with swoon-worthy prose, adorable humor, and an expert delivery of “ Will they end up together?” I guarantee you’ll be burning the midnight candle to a stub to get answers. Step aside Pride and Prejudice, there’s a new romance on the English moors.
Tamara
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dearest Josephine is a unique take on love and grief through a series of letters, emails, and texts. The back and forth between the present and the past blends well. It really engaged me.

Josie has just lost her father to cancer and it obvious that she is angry but that anger and grief are diverted when she finds these letters written over two hundred years ago, that Elias Roch wrote to Josephine De Clare, Josie's namesake. And she falls in love with a dead man.

Dearest Josephine is a rich, though
Melissa Tagg
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Like, looooooooved it!

For starters, the format: With Josie's emails back and forth with her best friend, Elias's letters, and Elias's novel, we get three stories all intertwined and the author pulls it off brilliantly. I was completely hooked in each storyline and had no idea how the whole thing would come together, but it did and I love, love, LOVED it.

Then there's the writing: Bottom line, it's fantastic. I loved the distinct voices of Josie and Elias. I loved the wit and b
Tahera
The highlight of this audiobook was the narration by Nathalie Pownall. She has a beautiful, clear, melodious and engaging voice which made me like this book so much more.

The story has three separate narrative threads: first a modern one told in a series of text messages and email correspondence between Josie de Clare with her best friend Faith, mother and the family who oversees her late father's estate, the second in the form of nearly 200 years old letters written by a Elias Roch to a Josephi
Rose (Adventurous Bookworm)
I wasn’t sure about this at first but oh my word, it was good.
Wow!
At the beginning, I struggled to get into this book and I was tempted to DNF during The Novel parts. They were not super great or interesting. However, that soon changed. I couldn't flip the pages fast enough and absolutely did not want to put the book down. Unfortunately, my calc homework guilted me into setting it aside for a bit but once I came back, I was still just as invested in the story. All the sections grew on me and I
Rachel McMillan
Endorsement:

"Dear Josephine is more than an immersive read, rather a book lover's dream experience. Josie's residence in a gothic English manor and her deeply romantic connection to Elias, years in the past, is as chillingly atmospheric as Rochester calling across the moors. But what's more is George's treatise on the power of books and character to creep across centuries, pull us close and invite us to live in a fantasy where we find love- literally - in the kinship of ink and binding. But more
Emilie Haney
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dearest Josephine was a combination of reading over someones shoulder as they wrote emails and living in a Jane Austen novel. I loved it!

First off, I started this book as an ebook and then at about 43% was gifted the audiobook and finished it that way for no other reason than I LOVE audio and can get to it faster. I loved both options. I enjoyed the combinations of texts, emails, a found novel, and love letters to tell a story. The author combined them in a masterful way and told a story that y
Abby
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
WOW. WOW. WOW.
I am speechless.
Review to come after I can figure out how to string together intelligible words. 🤣
Becky
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020reviews
First sentence: Hi Faith, I did a thing. A big thing. And I’m not sure how to tell you without sounding like the rotten human being who abandoned her best friend for a boy.

Premise/plot: There is a framework to Dearest Josephine that I'm guessing readers will either love or hate. Josie De Clare, our heroine, is mourning the loss of her father and has gone to an estate her father (secretly) owned near the Scottish border. While there she discovers a stash of letters addressed to JOSEPHINE DE CLARE
Ellie
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
At first I was a little confused with the plot as we have here three diffident stories included - present, past and novel. But after a few chapters I got used to it and found the idea of this really refreshing.
And each story is beautiful and intriguing and shows the way through grief, loss and finding new friendship and more.
The only minus of the narration was that due to the structure of the book that included messages, it felt a little weird when there was a lot of messages and I had to hear
Julie Carpenter
I was pulled into this book and loved it from the beginning to the end. It was delightful! I honestly wasn't sure what to expect with this book. I saw the book cover (loved it) and read the synopsis (loved it too) and knew that I really wanted to read this one. I was excited for the adventure that awaited me within this book.

I listened to an audiobook version and have to say that it was pretty fun! You have to listen pretty carefully at the beginning to get used to knowing who the character is a
Brogan Lane
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, dnf
I had never come across Caroline George before, but I kept seeing Dearest Josephine on my Instagram feed. The cover grabbed me, and I instantly looked up what it was about.

Dearest Josephine features a dual timeline. One in 2020 following Josie De Clare trying to navigate her life after her father’s death, a bad break-up and discovering her father had secretly purchased an estate in Atteberry; and the second following Elias Roch 200 years in the past in 1820, who is trying to navigate his life a
Olivia
I received this book to read from Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I love unique writing styles. This one sucked me in right away. Everything fascinated me, an intense amount of emotions and contrasting storylines. I loved it because it felt real. Josephine, Elisa, Oliver, and Faith all came to life...through letters, emails, and a novel.

Now, my hardest part is rating this book. I enjoyed it but I was a little stumped. Toward the end, I felt like I was missing something. I neede
Rayleigh
I will need a few days to fully process this masterpiece before I can write a review...
Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Updated: 2.16.2021

This book threw me into a pool of feels and left me to drown. Okay, I’m being dramatic, but I truly did have to let Dearest Josephine sink in for nearly a week before I could form a coherent enough thought to write an actual review. This book is just so many things!

The format is unlike anything I’ve read before. I do own Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, which I belie
Emily Murphy
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this epistolary love story with a romance and charm that crosses centuries. The banter made me smile. It was touching and inventive, and I can’t wait to read what Caroline George writes for us next.
Breny and Books
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I can’t put to words what this book did to me. It stabbed my heart, mended it, and then stabbed it again, mercilessly. That’s the only way to describe it. The book blurb of Dearest Josephine doesn’t even begin to do justice to the story at all. But, really, does any book blurb do justice to rare unicorns like this? I don’t think so. *wipes tear*

How to even describe this book? Magical. The way Caroline weaves this story is incredible, incredible, incredible. The book is told with letters, texts,
RoshReviews
I hate DNFing books but unfortunately, this audiobook goes into my DNF stack.

The story seemed enjoyable and with memorable characters, one from the present and one from the past. Elias Roch especially is a character that goes straight to your heart. But for an epistolary book dividing the narrative across three perspectives and two timelines, having just a single narrator is too confusing. Nathalie Pownall does do a commendable job as the narrator with her peppy reading but her voice is too sim
Ashley Townsend
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dearest Josephine has filled me with so much wistful dreaming!! It gave me such an ache to travel through time, made me want to fall in love in a moment, and find the truest friendships in the world. I loved it and never wish to be parted from it from this day forward.

I finished the book hours ago and am still trying to piece together my feels. The pacing was perfect, and I was immediately drawn into the characters’ worlds, falling in love with the story through Josie and Elias’s letters and his
*The Angry Reader*
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, arcs
An epistolary novel is tough. It adds a dimension of tell and makes it extra difficult to show.
The story and characters were a bit of a jumble, so bear with me. First we had Josie and Faith. The vibe I get is they were high school besties who grew apart over a dude. They reunite via email after Josie moves to a rundown house her dad left her. Josie’s intention is to rebuild the house - not sure why. And she finds letters from the past that seem to be to her and about her.
So then we have Dead D
Fernanda Granzotto
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was ok
*Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an early copy of this book for review, all opinions are my own*

The way this book is written and formatted was in my opinion what will make you like it or hate it. I admit that at first I didn't like it but I got used to it until I picked up the pace of reading.
I thought it would be a faster book to read but it wasn't, I think my biggest problem was The Novel part of the book which besides being a bit boring seemed irrelevant to me and
Cathy | A Case Full of Books
I received a digital ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This may be the longest review I'll ever write. I have a lot of thoughts about this one.

First of all, this book is told through a few different narratives. We have
a) Josie's texts and emails to her friends and family
b) Elias's letters to Josie
c) Chapters of Elias's novel

It's also important to note that Josie lives in modern day England while Elias lives during the Regency era.

I really struggled to get through th
KTReads
Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I loved how atmospheric it was and how unique the storytelling was! I think that it was very interesting slowly seeing all of the pieces come together each chapter we read. I also really like how although it’s told 3 different ways, emails, letters, and a book, that it was easy to read no matter which format we were in. I really connected to the characters at the end. My only complaint is that the book definitely could’ve been more diverse.
Jess Corban
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of clean YA romance, regency fiction
Dearest Josephine was sweet and surprising—the perfect winter read paired with a cup of tea and shortbread cookies. I loved the layering of different times and narratives—a tricky feat, which Caroline George pulled off brilliantly.

For me, the mark of a five-star is whether or not I get sad the day after I finish the book, when I'm getting ready to curl up in bed and suddenly realize the delightful experience of reading it is over!
Emma
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book but the synopsis itself completely intrigued me. And now having read it... wow! That was so good.

The format is this book was unique to me since it’s told exclusively in emails, text messages, letters, and manuscripts of a novel. I wasn’t sure how I was going to like that but it worked so well for this book! I actually loved it!

The characters were vibrant and felt so real. I wondered how well I’d get to know the characters considering the way it’s form
Hannah-rose Russell
Imagine inheriting a manor home and discovering two-hundred-year-old love letters addressed to you. Would you assume it was fate leading you to the stranger’s words or something more?

Josie De Clare has had the worst year of her life. After losing her father, she is unsure what she is to do with her life. Feeling hollow, Josie ventures to Atteberry in Northern England to explore the estate her father left her in his will. Searching for ways to feel close to him again, Josie is surprised to find a
Elodie
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Caroline George
Release Date 02/02/2021
Publisher Thomas Nelson

𝗕𝗹𝘂𝗿𝗯

Love arrives at the most unexpected time . . .
1821: Elias Roch has ghastly luck with women. He met Josephine De Clare once and penned dozens of letters hoping to find her again.
2021: Josie De Clare has questionable taste in boyfriends. The last one nearly ruined her friendship with her best friend.
Now, in the wake of her father's death, Josie finds Elias's letters. Suddenl
Erin Forbes
Mar 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021
“So many people waste time waiting for good things to happen to them. But sometimes we need to make good things happen. And when we finally start doing that, we often see there were good things in our lives all along.”

Dearest Josephine is a romantic, poetic novel for an age of readers craving just that. And oh my, that cover art! Upon first picking it up, the idea of a love story caught between regency and modern age intrigued me. To me, it was faintly reminiscent of the whole Outlander idea...
Teresa
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley, Thomas Nelson Fiction, and Caroline George for the opportunity to read Dearest Josephine in exchange for an honest review.

This book is an absolute joy told in letters, e-mails, texts, and prose. Josie De Clare has just moved to Cadwallader Manor after the death of her father. She cleans up the place, looks for a job in the local community, and even meets a boy. Throughout, she e-mails and texts her friend Faith about all the adventures the massive home has to offer. The b
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Paris Dressmaker
  • Beauty Among Ruins
  • Court of Swans (The Dericott Tales, #1)
  • The Night Swim
  • The Lost Manuscript
  • The Vanishing at Loxby Manor
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • The Hating Game
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Everything, Everything
  • The Haunting of Brynn Wilder
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • We Are Never Meeting in Real Life.
  • The Penelopiad
  • The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle, #4)
  • When Twilight Breaks
Caroline George is the multi-award-winning author of Dearest Josephine (HarperCollins) and other YA fiction titles. She graduated from Belmont University with a degree in publishing and public relations, and now travels the country, speaking at conferences and writing full-time. A Georgia native, Caroline aspires to one day host The Great British Baking Show and delights in being best known for wr ...more