Start by marking “What Comes After Crazy” as Want to Read:
What Comes After Crazy

What Comes After Crazy

Having grown up as the daughter of Madame Lucille, “Fortune Teller to the Stars,” traveling from town to town, wondering which of the many men her mother brought home would become her next stepfather, Maz Lombard just wants a nice, quiet life. But Maz’s soon-to-be-ex-husband, Lenny, recently left for Santa Fe after his very public affair with a fetching young day-care ...more
Published January 10th 2006 by Broadway Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about What Comes After Crazy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Comes After Crazy

Start your review of What Comes After Crazy
Lorrie
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light, funny, & entertaining read. This was fun to listen to while driving to and from work.
Kim
Apr 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It took 28 chapters for me to find sympathy for the main character, Maz. Most of her problems stem from her own lack of standing up for herself and what she needs, let alone wants. Her crazy mother, filandering soon to be ex husband, her snotty 10 year old daughter (whom I wanted to smack even more than Bella in "Twilight"), and a whole cast of characters do come together to make a pretty good book, although I failed to see why this book was "funny, funny, funny" as one reviewer put it, or ...more
Rdpoll
Dec 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am having trouble getting off the ground with this book because so far I have no sympathy for a weak lead female character. The way she just lets her child dictate her life and do nothing about it is just plain ridiculous. Anyone, regardless of how nice they are will eventually remind the child that they are to do what they are told at some point. So far the lead character in this book has neither spine, nor personality. I may have to call it quits with this one.
Diana
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a light, fun read for me. Gives a bit of a peak into the world of growing up with an eccentric parent and trying hard not to become one. A nice book to sit down with after finishing a heavy, serious book just to unwind.
Amanda Walter
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
The main character kind of drove me insane, would have been a better book with a more sympathetic character.
Alex
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book hit me like no other. Being raised by "the cool mom," the favorite aunt, the one people always thought you were lucky to have, was not easy and it's not talked much about. This is the first book I've ever related to so much.
Kristin Medo
Good one

Interesting read but slow at times. Definitely had times where I was crying from laughter and also getting emotional in general.
Stanton Cohen
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good beach read!!
Dena Martin
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I gave up on page 63. Just wasn’t compelling enough for me.
Jul
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grade: B+

A humorous novel about the messiness of life and learning to cope with eccentricity. Maz is a newly single mother, dealing with her fortune-teller mom Lucille, her snotty and also possibly psychic daughter Hope, and the perils of a love life that was complicated before her estranged, cheater husband came back.

It's been a year since Maz's husband left for Santa Fe. At the time, he claimed it would only be for a few months so he could build some condos. But, when Maz discovers that he's
jimtown
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chiclit
I purchased this book without a dust jacket or description because of its appealing orange and green hardcover. It turned out to be a fun read. I guess this could be categorized as chic-lit. We enter the crazy life of Maz who grew up adoring her fortune telling mother. Now, a mother herself, Maz finds flaw with the way she was raised and is trying to do better by her two little girls.

When she finds herself on her own because her husband left town, maybe for good, Maz tries to navigate the world
Benita
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
What would it be like to have a mother like Madame Lucille? She’s beautiful, and entertaining, and she can tell fortunes. Maz doesn’t think it’s so great having a psychic as a parent. After all, her childhood was practical a nightmare because of her mother. She would leave Maz alone when wanted to be with a man, and that was pretty often. She tried very hard to be a good girl so that her mother would not leave her, but nothing ever really worked. Now Maz has two daughters of her own and she ...more
Lynn
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a humorous take on what in other hands could have been a serious subject. Mas just wants to have a normal, loving family. She has a job, friends, and two young daughters. Unfortunately she also has a philandering husband who has high-tailed it to Arizona and isn't likely to return anytime soon, and an outlandish and self-absorbed mother who always seems to turn up at the most inopportune moments. With a mother as narcissistic and clueless as Madame Lucile, Mas' fortune-telling mama who ...more
Iris
Jul 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
Maz is a woman that wants a nice, normal quiet life, because she never had one as a kid. When that life bored her husband, he left her. She kept looking for nice, normal and quiet, but she never quite found it. Because what she realized is she is not that person on her own. She has her own pizzazz that attracts people. She doesn't have to have the crazy way of her ex husband and her mother, but she doesn't have to be boring either. I got that out of the book, but the story has this round about ...more
Christina
Jul 11, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This has been on my Goodreads shelf since 2007. I'm not sure why it came to be in my possession, but I finally got around to reading it.

My sluggishness in choosing it proved to be true as I read it too. I decided to give up on it several times, but just kept going. It went on vacation, and didn't get touched. But I finally finished it today.

Memorable? No. The reviews on the back promised lots of laughs, and I don't think I even chuckled. It was a quirky book about a very quirky family, sure,
Victoria
Dec 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, sold
This book really didn’t leave much of an impression on me. It was light, and pretty good overall, I guess - nothing really bothered me, or stuck out as being awful. But, nothing really stuck out as being all that wonderful, either. It was fairly entertaining, but just missing that certain je ne sais quois that makes a book genuinely great. It was fast and fun, and there were some truly amusing parts, so it succeeded in being a solid piece of escapism - it just wasn’t the type of book that I ...more
Anita
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, drama
This story was about a woman coming into her own identity--becoming her own person separate from how she identifies herself because of their actions. Maz, mother of two small girls, and wife to a lousy guy, figures out over a few months, that she can really take care of herself--even amid all the wild curveballs her family throws her. The story is a good one that after awhile, our lives really are about us, and what we make of them after all. There were a few really good lines in this book. ...more
Micah
Aug 22, 2008 rated it liked it
The librarians forced this one on me when I checked out Hissy Fit. I've never had librarians do that before so I took the book. There is ALOT of language and sexuality in the book. If you get past that the story is pretty funny. The poor lady has a very messed up family. There is no really example for her to follow for a healthy relationship but she seems to somewhat make a good life for her two daughters and herself in the end. I love the grandpa figure in this book. Other than that I spent ...more
Tracy
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is a little uneven, and the ending is not as satisfying as I would have liked. The author spent too much time on the fleeting physical affair, and neglected some of the more interesting characters. She threw in a little marital discord for the main character's best friend, but then resolved it in a single sentence. This is a fine first novel, but I don't think I will be adding it to my personal library.
CMG (Mac)
Dec 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sorry but didn't like this. Stupid and silly. Pretty much a waste of time. The main character/author ridiculously overreact to minor things; idiotic scenarios. Gratuitous foul language. I did finish it but I wonder why.

Synopsis: Young woman deals with her failing marriage and raising her two kids. Tales of her job, daycare, dating, and her family especially her oldest daughter, her eccentric psychic mother and her ex-husband.
Jeri
Feb 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-women, kindle
"Lead character, Maz Lombard, wants a ""normal life"" - but then who doesn't? She's the daughter of a fortune teller, married to an oaf who thinks he's a shaman; He leaves her and her two small daughters in the northeast to venture out to Santa Fe and then just about the time she thinks she's getting it together; he returns as does her fortune teller mother with wife # 5 (or is it #6).....it's a delightful tale of finding oneself in the strangest way and places."
Meagan
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book was decent. Not great, not horrible.

The main character's mother's accent & antics drove me so crazy that I almost didn't want to read anymore at certain times, but I kept soldiering through it.

The ending left a little to be desired, but I guess sometimes it's good for an author to leave us wondering what comes next.

Maybe decent for a beach read, or something to take on the plane, but not a book i'd necessarily reccommend to my friends to read.
Kara
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
2014- I gave up on this book about 50 pages into it. Not that it was bad, it just didn't keep my attention. Maybe I'll go back to it at another time.

2016- Came back to this book! Maz was still weak and dumb. Lets people walk all over her, including her children. There is an ending, and I got to it this time around. But I wouldn't recommend it.
Michelene
Sep 17, 2008 rated it liked it
It was a good book. Something to pass the time. In some parts in goes on and on about how the mother was while the child was growning up. I know it helps us understand why the daughter is the way she but in places it was just too much. I don't know why the mom didn't go to rescue her daughter sooner. As a mom, I would have called the cops and got my kid back yesterday.
Marissa
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Actually quite a funny tale of life's craziness coming at you from all sides - at once! Maz is the daughter of a fortune teller who has a daughter and a strange x-husband. This crazy tale takes you through Maz trying to set a straight line through a maze of chaos. Not the most impressive writing, but it certainly had its moments of entertainment.
Jennifer Meyer
Most of this was just sort of blah...boring characters, boring plot... which just got worse the further I read. And the characters who weren't boring were completely hard to like. I admit I skimmed the last 50 pages or so just to be able to finish it.
Wendy
Sep 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
A completely weak lead female character that you just want to slap upside the head and yell at to wake up. Even at the end Maz failed to stand up for herself as she should have. I did not enjoy reading this book.
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A fun chick-lit tale of life, love and laughter in the world of marriage, parenting, dealing with truly out-there extended family, and jobs that drive us nuts. There is much crazy here, but all of it in a realistic fashion. I dare you not to laugh!
Brandie
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Okay book, quick read.
I did like the author's writing and I liked the mix of humor in with all the sdaness/craziness.
I would read another one by her because I know her writing is good. This particular plot line just wasn't my thing though!
Emily
Jul 01, 2011 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Only made it to chapter 5. The "I'm a single mother, things are just SO crazy" was overdone, and when chapter 5 opened with Hope STILL harping about Maz's date, I was finished. Disappointing, because I did actually laugh during a couple of the scenes in earlier chapters.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bond Girl
  • How to Be a Grown-up
  • All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
  • Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament
  • Mr. Monk Goes to Germany (Mr. Monk, #6)
  • Mr. Monk in Outer Space (Mr. Monk, #5)
  • The Girl from Summer Hill
  • Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants (Mr. Monk, #4)
  • Garden of Lies (Garden of Lies, #1)
  • Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr. Monk, #3)
“So we had the whole fight right then—because we had to, time running out and all. Because what if we didn’t have the whole glorious fight, and he went off to Santa Fe, and I regretted not being given this one dramatic scene that I was owed? I yelled and slammed drawers and flung myself around the room, but the whole time I knew in some kind of creepy way that I was acting out of some historical outrage rather than anything generated right there in the present catastrophe. If I had done what I really felt like doing, I would have been sitting in the corner sucking my thumb. Instead, I had to fight, I had to be madder than I felt. He sat on the side of the bed and tried to look guiltier than he felt.” 1 likes
“I hate my life.' I want to say, I know. I kind of hate mine, too. But I don’t think you’re allowed to say that to your children. You’re supposed to protect them from realizing how excruciating things can get and that you have no control.” 0 likes