Start by marking “Pack of Lies (The Potentate of Atlanta #2)” as Want to Read:
Pack of Lies (The Potentate of Atlanta #2)

Pack of Lies

(The Potentate of Atlanta #2)

9 hours, 8 minutes

Hadley is losing time, and her shadow refuses to shed light on the gaps in her memory. How can she protect her city if she can't remember where she goes or what she does when she ought to be asleep? Her grim history appears to be stuck on repeat, and the only way forward might be a scythe through her back.
Audiobook
Published July 7th 2020 by Tantor Audio (first published January 15th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Pack of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pack of Lies

Start your review of Pack of Lies (The Potentate of Atlanta #2)
carol.
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for Quarantine Brain™
Somewhere between the boundless enthusiasm of a fan and the keen eye of a critic lands Quarantine Brain.™ Pack of Lies is book two in Edwards’ spinoff series about the Potentiate (read: Magical Cop) of Atlanta (In Training), Hadley, and it proved quite satisfying. The plot is straightforward: Hadley has blacked out twice and is wondering if her attached ghost may be up to his old tricks, trying to escape her control. On the professional front, the witches from the last book are continuing to cau ...more
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Pack of Lies is book two of The Potentate of Atlanta series by Hailey Edwards.

Hadley is growing on me and the redemption storyline for her is working. I like her humor and how she uses it as a way to deflect when her feelings become too complicated.

Ambrose is a fun character and an unapologetic killer, but he makes me laugh.

I like that Hadley and Midas are finally working towards a relationship, even thou it seems like it's impossible. They both have issues and the romance is a slow build.

The
☕️Kimberly
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku
I adore the back and forth between Midas and Hadley. Both have secrets, and we learned a little more about some of Midas’s issues and how they tie into some case threads. Hadley has been losing time and waking up behind a dumpster. I enjoy Ambrose. Sure, he is evil…. but he likes chocolate and cracks me up. Sorry. Not sorry.

Witchborn fae, slimy cockroaches and missing members… eek gads. Things got pretty intense. Hadley called on Linus for answers and while I get it, I’d like to see her gain mor
TJ
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things are happily picking up between Midas and Hadley! Given both their backgrounds and issues, the going is slow and scary but watching them fight through their fears in hopes of that one chance for happines is awesome!

I also thoroughly loved Hadley’s humor. She uses it as a way to deflect when her feelings become too complicated or surface too much. This makes her an even more endearing character - something she desperately needed.

The only thing that was a bit off was the full-stop ending wi
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
******** Re-read Take 1...Now I can rate this. Hmm. But how to rate with this book's dependency on another series. Hmmm.

3.5 ish

"Pack of Lies" from The Potentate of Atlanta series only made sense after I read How to Claim an Undead Soul (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #2). (view spoiler)
Penny
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this latest book, the second in the spin-off of the author’s, Hadley is trying to deal with so many things including rebuilding her life, dealing with a maybe future with Midas, and doing things on her own without Linus. Every time I read I book by this author, I’m just filled with so many emotions. I love the other series this one came from, and I’m thinking this may overtake that one, or maybe tie with it, it’s that good. Midas’ past is coming to light, and he is becoming a favorite charact ...more
Whiskey & Wit Book Reviews
A list of things I thought about today while reading POA Pack of Lies:

• I wish Hadley, Grier, and Lethe made a BFF Triad
• Gwyllgi sound downright unattractive... but I'm strangely attracted anyway...
• Morning breath is a hard no
• Ambrose is an unapologetic killer but he really makes me laugh. Da#n his charisma!
• Midas - proof that females (no matter the species or wraith inhabited) are drawn to males with issues (if they're hot and have abs...). He's a fictional character and I'M drawn to him!
Anna
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Janice perry
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story

I absolutely love Hadley and Midas. There story is so fun and exciting and full of adventure. Ready for more.
Darcy
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, e-book, uf, 2020, shifters, fae
This was an interesting book because Hadley was both unsettled and settled about things. At first it seems like she was loosing control, but by the end of the book you can see that wasn't true and she was settling in quite good as Potentate. She went after those that were important to her, found a new ally, one who looks like they will be very useful and finally has come to terms with Midas. I'm very intrigued to see where that goes. ...more
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

This second book in the Potentate of Atlanta brought us back to the beginning of Hadley’s story in the sense that she’s losing time, she’s waking up in weird places, and Ambrose (her shadow) isn’t talking.

Quick overview-in the Necromancer series, Hadley was Amalie, Grier’s best friend since childhood, but she got greedy. She wanted more for her life than she was allowed. She summoned something (Ambrose) that would take her over and use her in return for pow
Snarktastic Sonja
I love Hadley and Midas. I love their imperfections. I love their banter. I also enjoy the side characters.

You should definitely start with the first one . . . and if you want the *whole* story How to Save an Undead Life.

This story feels like part of a story more than a complete story - it feels like it just stops without any climax or solution or remedy . . .

I still loved it. I cannot wait for the next one to come out.
Alison
Two and a half stars.

I just don't get Hailey Edwards, she seems to like to change direction mid-way through a series, and when the series is a spin-off from a series you haven't read the average reader is just left floundering.

Hadley is the trainee Potentate of Atlanta, she's a necromancer, assuming a fake identity, and she's entered into a bargain to share her consciousness with a shade (I'm sorry, it's not really explained and I have zero recall of the first book). She lives in an apartment bl
Kelly
Hol-ee bananas. MAN, do I adore Midas and Hadley and the crew she's slowly building around her as she learns the ins and outs of becoming a Potentate. Hadley has serious guilt over what she did/what she put in motion back in Savannah and everything she does is flavored by that guilt. At the same time, she's still dealing with the long-term abuse her mother heaped on her when she was younger and that makes her a bit of a ticking time bomb.

Or at least it would if she wasn't willing to reach out fo
Janet Faes
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, the tension! Will they get to them on time? Will they live? Will they die? All questions my sister refused to answer when I was at 50%!

It’s interesting to read a ‘broken’ alpha who actually acts like he is a bit broken. And not just ‘broken’ cause the writer told you he was.

Loving seeing more of Bishop, can’t wait to see more. Also want to see how Remy fits into it all.
Rebecca Dew
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faeted

I may like The Potentate of Atlanta books more than The Beginner’s Guide to Necromancy - which is saying quite a lot since I not only gleefully devoured those books as fast as I could read them when they were released, but have reread the series probably a dozen times by now. It worries me that I like these characters so well, but the underlying theme of second chances and redemption is compelling. In fact, one of the things I struggled with in Ms. Edwards’s other series is that so many o
Andrea
“He told me some burdens are easier to bear with another shoulder to rest them on.”

Things are heating up!
Amanda
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such A Great Sequel!

I loved this sequel! It had all the humor and action as the first book with a touch of romance that was masterfully written given the brokenness and pasts of the characters involved. I also thoroughly enjoyed seeing Midas, and to some extent, Hadley grow. The growth is slow, but so worth it just to get those glimpses of healing that take place in unexpected ways. I'm definitely looking forward to Change Of Heart and what it will bring for the battle ahead for Hadley and Co.
H
Jennifer Ashburn
Another amazing book!

Hadley is the character everyone WANTS to hate, lives to hate even. Yet she’s also the character that a reader can most sympathize with and therefore cheer for. Add Midas into the mix and you’re left panting for more, literally! I love the give and take they share together trying to dig out a new life they never really anticipated while also dealing with the teenager hormonal equivalent 😂 of love. The storyline is a great second helping of the world in Atlanta and I can’t w
Angelina Schwarz
Swoon

I. Am. In. Love!

Obviously, this is book two and will make little sense unless you have already read Shadow of Doubt, but Pack of Lies picks up just a few weeks after Shadow of Doubt ends and jumps right in with both feet.

If you loved Book One, you will love Pack of Lies even more. The relationships and characters are building and growing. And the plot with the coven and fae thickens.

I read this on KU and knew it would be one I would revisit over and over, so bought it, as well.

I can not w
Heather Morris
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how this universe keeps expanding. How the characters keep growing. I can’t wait for the next book!
Lisa Paulk
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series

Who thought anyone would like Hadley's story? I just have trust in the author that they know what they are doing when they have a story to tell in a world we know and love, they usually deliver!
Melindeeloo
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Hadley and Midas in this. There is plenty of interesting things going on in the background too. My only nit is the story just kind of stops without resolving anything, not really a cliff hanger but it felt like it should be the end of a chapter but not the end of the book.
Anne - Books of My Heart
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, 7arcs, coyer, 2020
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I loved the Beginner's Guide to Necromancy series. They are all on Kindle Unlimited as well as this new series, The Potentate of Atlanta . It is with some characters from the original series. Hadley, ie. Amelie,  is now living in Atlanta training to be the POA.

Hadley is on her own, with Linus not in Atlanta as much
Steph
Two broken people raking their jagged edges together in the hopes they might somehow fit.
It's rare when an author can make me change my feelings about a character. But, with book one of this BGtN spin-off, Shadow of Doubt, she already had me hoping Hadley's second chance worked out for her. Now, I'm feeling myself pulled even deeper into her corner. Midas has always been an intriguing character, so any opportunity to learn more about him is welcome.
... his mind ran in circles, torn bet
Jackie Brokaw
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thing about Hadley is that in her previous life I couldn't bring myself to like her. Two books into her spin off and I can't imagine not liking her. Pack of Lies delves into the twisted vines of secrets and half truths that surround her. Hadley has to balance her own while being courted by Midas, trying to hold onto her friends, and dealing with a new and scary fae problem. She is really coming into her own in this book and learning just what it takes to fill Linus's POA shoes. I always enjo ...more
Namita
I really like Midas and Hadley!! It’s good to get some insight into her character. Amelie was just Grier’s BF but Hadley is much more. She’s screwed up but who hasn’t. What counts is she is making amends in her language, atonement. Really well written character. The more I read, I think I like her better than Grier and that’s saying something.

This is a spin off of the A Beginner’s Guide to Necromancy series so please read that series first to understand.
April Regier
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to like Hadley - her history with Grier made me deeply dislike her(Read the Beginner's Guide to Necromancy - please). But she has definitely made a turn around and I'm invested in her! As far as Midas - I just want want to know what happened to him. Stop teasing me - tell me!! I did enjoy this book even more than the first one and I love the direction the series seems to be headed toward. Hailey Edwards definitely knows how to write strong, flawed characters and how to string me al ...more
Cryogenic Fire
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

What can I say. I adore Hadley and Midas, Ford and Bishop and Linus too and this second in the series of the Potentate of Atlanta is just as good as the first.

Definitely recommend.
Amy
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook and the narrator did a good job. I enjoyed the story and how the author is handing the romance between Hadley and Midas. I am looking forward to the next book to see how thing playout with the storyline and the couple.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Heart of Shadows (Alice Worth, #5)
  • Death & Desire (The Jezebel Files, #2)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Echoed Defiance (Jacky Leon, #4)
  • Broken Loyalty (Jacky Leon, #3)
  • Brimstone Bound (Firebrand, #1)
  • Infernal Enchantment (Firebrand, #2)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Heart of Vengeance (Alice Worth, #6)
  • Midnight Smoke (Firebrand, #3)
  • Shadows & Surrender (The Jezebel Files #3)
  • Heart of Stone (Alice Worth, #4)
  • Spiked (Sundance #1)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Bounty (Kaliya Sahni, #1)
  • Lost Talismans and a Tequila (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #7)
  • Druid Vices and a Vodka (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #6)
  • Summoned (Sundance, #2)
Hailey Edwards writes about questionable applications of otherwise perfectly good magic, the transformative power of love, the family you choose for yourself, and blowing stuff up. Not necessarily all at once. That could get messy. She lives in Alabama with her husband, their daughter, and a herd of dachshunds.

The Potentate of Atlanta (5 books)
  • Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta, #1)
  • Change of Heart (The Potentate of Atlanta, #3)
  • Proof of Life (The Potentate of Atlanta, #4)
  • Moment of Truth (The Potentate of Atlanta #5)

News & Interviews

“The only way to maintain a happy relationship is to smooth out the bumps as you go. You can’t wait until you fall into a hole you dug for yourself to decide maybe you ought to devote more time to your relationship. Usually, by that point, you might as well stay in the hole. There won’t be anyone above you ready to give you a hand up. They’ll already be gone.” 0 likes
“>>You’re the best thing to ever happen to this office. I bet you say that to all the girls who greenlight your pyromaniacal dreams.” 0 likes