Start by marking “Bad Girls: 26 Writers Misbehave” as Want to Read:
Bad Girls: 26 Writers Misbehave

Bad Girls: 26 Writers Misbehave

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
"I behave badly to set myself apart. To test myself. To push myself. To prove something. To shock someone....I behave badly because I can." That's how Ellen Sussman describes her deviant endeavors. To better understand them, she's invited 25 other bad girls to share their stories. Ann Hood lies, Mary Roach confesses. Lolly Winston blasts the music; Susan Straight puts the ...more
Published July 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Girls

Melki
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays
Bless their lyin', cheatin' hearts, Bad Girls are everywhere.

There are some pretty good essays in this collection. From cussing to adultery, these gals seem to have covered the gamut of ways to be bad. (Alas, no one confesses to horse thievery or murder, but there seems to be an awful lot of lusting after clergymen among the female congregants.)

And speaking of confessing, leave it to Mary Roach to bring on the funny as she talks about going to confession in her younger days:

The trick was to find
Marybeth
Mar 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
The one or two good pieces do not make up for the many boring ones.
K.
3.5 stars.

This collection plays with and stretches the boundaries of what we think of as "bad". As Joyce Maynard says in her story A Good Girl Goes Bad: "And what is a bad girl, really, but a girl who doesn't always do the things people tell her she's supposed to? Sometimes, it's true, a bad girl may be someone who cheats or steals or hurts people or lies. And sometimes a bad girl is just someone who tells the truth."

Interesting as the journey was, I couldn't help but notice that it was an overw
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
This collection of autobiographical essays collected from women writers, some much more famous than others, was one I highly anticipated reading. I have had it on my wish list since it was published and reviewed in Bitch magazine. However, I guess I must have built it up too much in my mind, because I didn't find myself enjoying it as much as I had hoped. I had really hoped for some truly shocking revelations, but for the most part, the ladies admit to such things as driving really fast, listeni ...more
Shonna Froebel
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful collection of essays by a varied bunch of writers. Each explores the "bad girl" in herself and the behaviours that brought into her life. We all have a bit of bad girl in us and I found I could relate to many of the experiences. Some talked about bad girl episodes in the past and how they changed now that they are older, and I can relate to that too. My bad girl impulses are less radical than when I was younger too. There is also discussion around the good girl versus bad gir ...more
Lauren
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my ideal poolside read - a thinking woman's look at what it means to be a "bad girl," disguised as fluffy chick lit. The 26 different writers who contribute essays to the book explore, expand, and sometime discard altogether what it means to be "bad." Who writes the definition? Who makes the rules? They range in age, experience and level of bravado, but ultimately each essay leaves you thinking about yourself and other women in a different way. One of my favorite moments came late in th ...more
Little
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I've been having a hard time finishing books without a cohesive plot recently, so it says something about the quality of this collection that I actually made it through to the end before the book was even due back at the library.

I liked the idea of thinking through "bad" as a feminist issue, and who gets to decide if a particular behavior or a person herself qualify as bad or not. I liked the explorations of the opposite of bad, too. There was, unsurprisingly I suppose, a fair amount of intentio
Korynn
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
The whole concept of the "bad girl" is ripe to be explored and so I was mildly hopeful. Personally, I think the "bad girl" is a load of tripe and should be thoroughly debunked. It seems to me the term is typically used by drunk women at bars while spanking each other and giggling "we're so bad" while watching everyone look at them. Many of the essays read like the embarassment page from Cosmo which is probably where this book was listed as a read. Sadly, many women still seem to transmit badness ...more
Ashley
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious stories about youth and the many ways we try to "put one over" on someone (usually our parents, teachers, or law enforcement officers). The only thing that sort of bothered me was that most of these writers felt the need to highlight their accomplishments/claims to fame in their pieces (see: ego-stroking?). One woman's father is John Cheever (and personally knew E.E. Cummings), another slept with J.D. Salinger (and was being published in high school.....which sickens me!). Makes for an ...more
Jesse
May 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
More prep reading. "Bad" -- surprise, surprise -- is frequently synonymous with "dirty" and almost never with "subversive." There were a few pleasant pieces (Susan Casey's "Skipping Christmas," Elizabeth Benedict's "The Thrill of a Well-Placed 'Fuck'"), but the scope felt fairly narrow. Mostly, maybe, this is because all (or almost all?) of the pieces were written as reflections, the "bad girl" a mostly-buried personality aberration. Not for me.
Diana
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
It's an interesting read. It's an essay collection from different authors so it runs the risk of being wildly uneven, and unfortunately it is that. Made me want to read more Joyce Maynard and I loooove me some Kim Addonizio but a few were real duds and one essay I couldn't even finish because it felt so technical compared to the personal revelations of some of the other essays--it was boring and it was about penises, so I'd say boring is a problem.
Nova
Jun 10, 2008 rated it liked it
An interesting collection of essays; but, nothing that would have shattered my world had I not read it. Some of the essays were very good (Jong), some of them, not so much. It was interesting to see the different ways that each writer defined or viewed "badness." There is a good mix of authors and viewpoints here so, you are likely to find at least one or two essays that appeal to you.
Anne
Mar 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
My favorite stories: Lying, Bad Dancer, The Thrill of a Well Placed 'Fuck', Laura the Pest, Skipping Christmas, Author Questionnaire, The Thrill of the Spill, Turn It UP!
These are the best written, imo, but they ALL felt so cathartic to read. I like being bad!!!!! And...you'd never know it on the outside.
Amy
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I found myself guffawing out loud on airplanes, at the pool and just about everywhere! I related to just about every essay in here on some level; if not by action...certainly relating by emotion. Ellen Sussman the editor even e-mailed me back when I sent her gushing fan mail thanking her for compiling such a clever collection.
Katherine
This is decent overall, not spectacular (and no one's really that "bad")--but I was knocked out by Katharine Weber's story of a friend sneaking her into the World Trade Center when it was under construction. If there's ever a literary anthology of urban exploration (they've got them on almost everything else), it'd be perfect.
Margaux Laskey
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
i totally dug it. picked it up at work on the free table, so i wasn't sure, but lots of good essays in here (erica jong, susan cheever, joyce maynard) about being a "bad" girl in a world where only "good" girls seem truly valued or taken seriously. "bad" is, of course, relative in this book, but we all have a different compass to travel by.
Rebecca
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jill Hubley
I liked that this book was broken down into short stories. Each chapter is the author's take on a "bad girl". Some I could relate too, a couple weren't bad enough and some I could have written! I learned creativity and how one topic can be so differently interpreted by intelligent women.
Amber
Nov 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
With a variety of stories on being a "bad girl", this anthology was quite funny, and thought-provoking as well. Stories ranged from tales about attending an abusive father's funeral, to one called "Penises I have Known."
Barbara
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
I would recommend reading this one over time. Great premise and most of the writers really come through. A little hard to take, however, reading them back to back. Interesting to read what they each thought about "misbehaving".
Maija
Dec 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
A good bus read, as it's a collection of short stories. I think the stories got better in the later chapters - some of the early ones didn't shock me enough. I did feel silly carrying this book around because of the name & cover photo. Oh, well!
Patty
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
The collection of essays was uneven. Some were good; others were terrible. But it might be worth picking up at the library just to read Daphne Merkin's "Penises I Have Known." Now that's one you can really sink your teeth into. No pun intended.
Natalie
Jul 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: bad girls, want to be bad girls, good girls with time
Some of the essays were awesome. I did feel like the repeated themselves a bit though How many times do I need to hear the "I was a good girl until..." story. A good read, but I'd suggest reading it in parts instead of straight though.
Shannon Barber
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I enjoyed this collection quite a bit. I did miss more queer content, perhaps needed a bit less I had sex and was bad type stories. The writing was solid but I wasn't entirely moved by any of the essays unfortunately.
catharine
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was delightful. From essays on adolescent sexual fumblings, to Mary Roach talking about the naughty thrill of the confessional, to an essay on why women don't talk more about penis attributes, I enjoyed this heartily and was inspired to write my own "bad girl" essays.
Alissa
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a really easy, fun read. I liked how it was short stories and that I could easily put it down for a week or something if I was busy and pick it back up and not skip a beat or have to backtrack to remember what I read a week ago.

Very cute, fun and hilarious!
Jamie
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read. For the bad girl in all of us. Actually, I think Amy would probably like it, for just that reason. I don't know, something to do with all the bars she has frequented lately makes me think of it for her.
Ann
Dec 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: for all the bad girls out there
This collection reveals the bad girl in the writers. I found myself loving each writer and all the essays.
Betta
Jul 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sexy
entertaining! funny! not the deepest piece of literature but who needs that when you're reading saucy stories about women, sex, & independence!
Diane
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was a collection of essays by women writers. The essays ran the gamut-some were good and some were so so, some were funny and some were sad.
Leah
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
A must read for bad girls and good girls alike.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater: 21 Funny Women on Beauty, Body Image, and Other Hazards of Being Female
  • The Better of McSweeney's, Vol. 1
  • Wanderlust: Real-Life Tales of Adventure and Romance
  • Money Changes Everything: Twenty-Two Writers Tackle the Last Taboo with Tales of Sudden Windfalls, Staggering Debts, and Other Surprising Turns of Fortune
  • Dirt: The Quirks, Habits, and Passions of Keeping House
  • The Subway Chronicles: Scenes from Life in New York
  • Fired!: Tales of the Canned, Canceled, Downsized, and Dismissed
  • The O. Henry Prize Stories 2005
  • Laid: Young People's Experiences with Sex in an Easy-Access Culture
  • The Workshop: Seven Decades of the Iowa Writers Workshop - 43 Stories, Recollections, & Essays on Iowa's Place in Twentieth-Century American Literature
  • New Stories from the South 2008
  • The Essential Hip Mama: Writing from the Cutting Edge of Parenting (Live Girls)
  • A Child's Introduction to Poetry: Listen While You Learn about the Magic Words That Have Moved Mountains, Won Battles and Made Us Laugh and Cry
  • The Bust Guide to the New Girl Order
  • When I Was a Loser: True Stories of (Barely) Surviving High School
  • Dear Sisters: Dispatches from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • Gathering the Bones
  • A Girl's Guide to Taking Over the World: Writings From The Girl Zine Revolution
Ellen Sussman is the New York Times bestselling author of four novels, A Wedding in Provence, The Paradise Guest House, French Lessons, and On a Night Like This. She is the editor of two critically acclaimed anthologies, Bad Girls: 26 Writers Misbehave and Dirty Words: A Literary Encyclopedia of Sex. She teaches through Stanford Continuing Studies and in private classes. www.ellensussman.com
More about Ellen Sussman...