Start by marking “A Snowfall of Silver” as Want to Read:
A Snowfall of Silver

A Snowfall of Silver

A snow-dusted love story.

In the Autumn of 1931, eighteen-year-old Freya Trevelyan runs away from her home in Cornwall to follow her dream of becoming an actress. When she is invited to join a theatrical company about to head out on tour, Freya thinks the path to success is clear, and, amidst all the glamour and bustle of stage life, she finds - for the first time - a place
Published October 1st 2020 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about A Snowfall of Silver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Snowfall of Silver

Start your review of A Snowfall of Silver
Marthabethan
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an absolute delight!!
I truly loved this book. It was magical, beautiful, romantic and fun. It tells the story of Freya, who was a side character in Wood’s other novel, A Sky Painted Gold.

Freya runs away from home to London to stay with her sister and start her career as an actress. When on the train to London, she meets Kit, a young aspiring play writer who works for a theatre company who are about to go on tour with ‘The importance of being Earnest’. This is a stroke of luck and helps Fr
Lauren James
Oct 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
All of Laura's historical novels feel like the perfect chocolate-wrapped comfort read, and I'm saving this for a rainy day when I need something to make me feel like the world is a better place.
Alexandra
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
If you loved A SKY PAINTED GOLD, then Laura Wood's spin-off novel will not disappoint. I adored it. It perfectly captured the thrill of leaving home to pursue a dream, the joy of creative collaboration and the excitement of first love. A deeply thoughtful, warm and comforting read.
Abi
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING like all of Laura's books!
Hands down one of my favourite authors.

A Snowfall of Silver is companion books/sequel to A Sky Painted Gold.
This book was magical. It's about Freya who comes to London from Cornwall in 1931 to become and actress.

She meets a boy who is a stage hand and he helps her get a job as an assistant to a seamstress in a production. It's so much fun and I loved all the characters.

I shed tears of joy at the end because it was just such a feel good story!

I'm also so sad I r
Kelly
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Of course I loved this book. :) Usually I'd say, that's the review, but for once, I'm going to properly review it (shocking I know!).
As usual, I'll do my best to make it spoiler free, but there will be some from A Sky Painted Gold.

There was a book talk with the author and Scholastic with Lucy Powrie at the weekend. It was great to be able to 'attend', and hear little things about it which were happily put into context as I read.

Freya is hilarious and I highly enjoyed following her story. As a
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so, so, so delightful. Freya is possibly one of my favourite protagonists ever - her dramatics are incredibly entertaining, but she's also really sharp and warm, and the way she perceives and interacts with characters like Viola and Nora is so thoughtful and well done (for a modern reader especially). It reminded me a lot of The New Moon With the Old, which I know is obscure as Dodie Smith novels go, but so far Laura Wood is one of the only authors I've come across to capture the same l ...more
Anna
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5*
Lindsay
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, comfort-reads
This is the bookish equivalent of a mug of hot chocolate, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's one of the highpoints of my year! I know comparisons aren't always helpful but honestly if you like Eva Ibbotson romances, Noel Streatfeild and I Capture the Castle, this is a pretty safe bet.

It is possible the pantaloons were a mistake.

How can you not love a book with an opening line like that!? It's warm and sweet and funny, with a delightful romance, although that element is more of a subplot to
Meg
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon!
Beth Godmon
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A cosy winter read and well thought out sequel to 'A Sky Painted Gold.' Laura Wood's books never fail to make me smile and feel fuzzy inside.
Antonia
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read both of Laura Wood's other books - A Sky Painted Gold and Under a Dancing Star - and I loved them both. It was the same with this book. I flew through it so quickly and loved everything that I read! I read it in one sitting and, in a way, I regret doing that as I wish I savored the story.
Overall it was incredible and I can't wait for any other book Laura Wood writes.
Claire
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sublime. I couldn't put it down. Honestly Laura Wood is an incredible writer and storyteller, I admire her work hugely 😊
Sifa Poulton
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing

This wintry treat is all about the magic of the theatre and the weight of dreams. As with A SKY PAINTED GOLD, there is a romance, but it's such a small part of the story. Instead it's about an adventure in pursuit of dreams, and what happens when things don't work out as expected. The cast is full of incredible characters, eclectic, witty, and full of life - but also so human, as the stresses of the tour get to them.

The voice is incredible. From the very first page, I could hear the ide
Erin
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was beautiful and dreamy in the way all of Laura Wood’s books are. I loved the atmosphere, and I fell in love with Freya.

I bought this book not knowing it would be connected to A Sky Painted Gold which was a wonderful surprise! I adore Laura Wood’s books, I will read anything she writes, and when I saw that gorgeous cover, I bought it in a moment! (Seriously go read her other two books, her Much Ado retelling is one of my all time favorite books).

As an actress myself, this book was so
Cookies_Comforts
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully enchanting read. It melts in your mouth.
Emily

• A Monster Calls
  • Dragon Mountain
  • Ghosts
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • The Great Godden
  • The Mistake (Off-Campus, #2)
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • The Reckless Afterlife of Harriet Stoker
  • Free Food for Millionaires
  • About a Girl (A Girl, #1)
  • Kind of a Big Deal
  • Spoiler Alert
  • Memento (The Illuminae Files, #0.5)
  • Serpentine (His Dark Materials, #3.6)
  • Shades of Magic Vol. 3: The Rebel Army
  • Nick and Charlie
  • Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)
Laura Wood is the winner of the Montegrappa Scholastic Prize for New Children's Writing and the author of the 'Poppy Pym' and 'Vote for Effie' middle-grade series and YA novels, A Sky Painted Gold and Under a Dancing Star.

She loves Georgette Heyer novels, Fred Astaire films, travelling to far flung places, recipe books, Jilly Cooper, poetry, cosy woollen jumpers, Edith Nesbit, crisp autumn leaves,