Start by marking “Through the Ice” as Want to Read:
Through the Ice

Through the Ice

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  977 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Seth is whisked from fighting teenage punks in Michigan to being part of a quest--along with Tirsa the telepath, Rame the faun, and Vidav the giant--when he falls through the ice.
Published April 1st 1992 by Baen Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Through the Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Ice

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonThe Giver by Lois Lowry
507 books — 288 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Portal Fantasy Books
144 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
I really enjoyed this book as a teenager. It was my introduction to Piers Anthony. Although I later found out that Robert Kornwise, a 15-yr-old fan of Anthony, wrote the majority of the book. Kornwise died before completing the book, and his mother contacted Anthony, who finished the novel, and it was published under both their names.

After reading more of Anthony's work, I recognized that he was responsible for my least favorite portion of the story. Also, this story is "cleaner" than other Anth
Sep 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one.
Shelves: fantasy
First of all, let me say that I have nothing but condolences for the late author and his family. It's not my intention to be cruel.

I couldn't finish the book. I can't recommend it to anyone except perhaps someone who is a friend or family member of the author, Robert Kornwise.

I started reading this book and it read like internet fan fiction. The humble narrator is way too cool and ethical to be a real person, so he's obviously a wish fulfillment role for the author.

Yes, folks, he knows kung fu a
Apr 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book has a interesting origin: Author Robert Kornwise was a teenage fan of Piers Anthony, who was hard at work on his own fantasy novel when he died in (I believe) a car accident. His family contacted Piers, who finished the novel, and it was published under both their names.

The book itself is entertaining. I liked the characters, and it's worth a read, if you're a Piers Anthony fan or just a fantasy fan in general. Don't forget to give a thought to Robert Kornwise as you read it.
Jason Brown (Toastx2)
May 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
it blows me away when i read about the things that some authors will do for/with their fans. Robert Kornwise was a first time author with unfinished and unpublished book. Unfortunately, he never got the chance to finish his book. Robert died in a road accident in december 1987.

His friends and family, knowing about his book, reached out to his favorite author, Piers Anthony. They asked him to read his book and see if there is anything he could do to help get it published.

With a fair amount of unc
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Seth Warner is on his way home from a party when he is set upon by a group of teenage ruffians. He runs from them and ends up falling through the ice into a lake. Just as he is about to drown, he is wrenched from this world and into another plane where he finds he is a "Chosen" and, along with three others from different planes must, battle a sorcerer by the name of Nefarious. The magical quest brings him into conflict with various agents of Nefarious as well as helpful creatures.
This is a youn
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
IF you're going to read this book, you need to read the background on its creation. This books story wasn't better or worse to me then any of the others but the background behind it brought it way up in my estimation.
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this book twenty or so years ago, and it was chiefly Anthony's name on the cover that made me pick it up in the first place. It was the foreword, though, that convinced me to read it. Hell, it was the foreword to this book that inspired me to start reading forewords at all.
The book itself is only so-so, but the story of how the book came to be still moves me.
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good story. Piers Anthony did a good job completing a story written by someone else. I like the ending.
Lance Sherrill
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think I might like the one shots that Anthony has done better than his serial stuff. This one in particular. I ALMOST wish there was more but he really did end this nicely.
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a big book of my childhood; it was the first true fantasy novel I tackled (I was in 4th grade at the time), and it's also the one that opened the floodgates so to speak. Author Piers Anthony has a fairly straightforward writing style, avoiding flowery dialogue and adjective overload; that in and of itself isn't what defined his style, at least not to me. What I always loved about his books was that he was capable of packing a pretty solid punch into each sentence he wrote. The narrative ...more
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this book over a decade ago, but parts of it stand out in my memory, the typical fantastic elements like Hundred-League Boots, magic, accidental but ultimately triumphant (I think) group. If I recall correctly, however, even in my more impressive, pre-feminist years, I recognized the use of the female main character in this as little more than an accessory to the hero. Or at least that's what I remember.

Edited: I found out after I posted my review that the main author was young, which wou
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-school
At first I was not too impressed with this book. Some of the writing is juvenile and awkward. Then I read the authors note at the back and it made me re-evaluate. This was a story written by a 15 year old boy who was killed in a car accident. Piers Anthony was one of his favorite authors. His friends/family asked Piers to finish the story as a memorial and he did. Knowing this made the story a lot more powerful and substantial and also explained some of the awkwardness of parts of the storyline ...more
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a pretty straightforward fantasy novel centered around a quest. I would have only given it two stars, but the last chapter was really good. I also love the back story behind how the book came to be written. The author, Robert Kornwise, died at age 16, and his friends submitted his unfinished novel to his favorite author, Piers Anthony, who ultimately decided to edit, finish, and release it as a collaberation. The back story certainly adds to the appeal. Overall, the book kept me enterta ...more
Aug 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: sciencefiction
Okay, so this kid starts writing this book. And he dies. And this kid's favorite writer ever was Piers Anthony. So the mother gets this kid's manuscript together and mails it to Anthony's publisher, who passes it along to Piers. He reads it and is surprised by how good it is, and decides (at the urging of the kid's mother) to finish it, and lists the kid as a co-author.

And I think, beyond the story line and the excellent writing, that that's my favorite part of this whole book.
Christopher D'amico
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Seth wasn't looking for trouble. But the drunks at the party seemed not to care. And when they ran his Jeep off the road and, well, through the ice, the last thing he expected when he drowned was to awaken in a mysterious land filled with magic.

Thus begins a unique, compelling, and ultimately uplifting story I have enjoyed multiple times. One of my favorite books by my favorite author! Oh, and if the story itself doesn't move you, Piers Anthony's afterword surely will....
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Oh wow, teenage me loved this book. Teenage me read this book three times IN A ROW when she found it. It's just as terrible as I remember it, but also just as great. As I was reading I could see the parts that teenage me loved, and imprinted on, and saw exactly why I loved it even as I was rolling my eyes.

Pretty sure this book gave me my introduction to polyamory, and for that, I salute it. Good work, book! o7

But yeah, it's awful. AWFUL.
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was strang little book I read some time ago. it was (if I have this right) written by a young man who had passed away and then rewritten by Piers Anthony.

Pretty stright forward fantasy of a hero who finds an alternate world through the ice. I'm not particularly an Anthony fan but have enjoyed a couple of his books. this one is a readable fantasy, okay story, without being a standout.
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up when I was about 14. Some reviewers are remiss to tell you that this is juvenile fantasy, that they can't get down with the book. I am now a 32 year old librarian that still reads this odd little fantasy from time to time. Very well helped by Piers Anthony, Rob Kornwise had his words aligned in what is a good light fantasy novel.
Aug 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
I understand why Piers Anthony decided to add his name to the story contributed by a young writer, but I must also say that it is very obviously not one of his polished and coherent works.

It is much like finding a piece of music with the wrong name on it, written and performed by a much less experienced artist. The author may have potential someday, but this work simply doesn't measure up.
May 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-bad, i-own
the story was good...but I think I liked it even more because of the backstory wherein the original author died and Piers Anthony agreed to finish it and get it published. Honestly, I liked the style and tone in this book more than in other Anthony books I've read, which makes me all the more sad that this aspiring young author died before his first book was finished.
Lela Fagan
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teenagers and Young Adults
Recommended to Lela by: My Father
I first read this book when I was a teenager. Possibly around 14 years old. The underlining theme of each main characters facing death and defeating their own fears; despite the obstacles that they were confronted with really impressed me at the time.
Sara Ferenchak
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked it. I thought the end was interesting. I had a few problems with the logic at the end, but it was interesting.
Michael Oliver
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all kids
Recommended to Michael by: Book fair
One of my favorite books growing up.
Dale Rosso
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Up to Anthony's usual standards, interesting story about a man who accidentally ends up in a world where magic works and is completely different than his own.
Chad Malone
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A pretty good fantasy novel enjoyable but some things repeated a bit; i do feel like that there may have been some questions that was not answered. Interesting magical items and creatures.
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book got passed around my entire family.
Fangirl Happy Hour
Nov 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2008 added it
Shelves: gone, fantasy
"Young adult" fantasy. Sometimes picking up books in a library sale has disadvantages, like no clear category for stuff like that.
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I finally found a copy at at a used bookstore and was very excited! It's the only one of my books I won't lend out because it's so hard to find a copy!
  • Unicorn Mountain
  • The King of Ys: Book 2 - Gallicenae
  • Sword and Sorceress XVII
  • In Other Worlds (Radix, #2)
  • The 21 Lessons of Merlyn: A Study in Druid Magic and Lore
  • The Gryphon King
  • Carnivores of Light and Darkness (Journeys of the Catechist, #1)
  • Dragonlord of Mystara (Mystara: The Dragonlord Chronicles, #1)
  • The Norby Chronicles (Norby, #1-2)
  • Grails: Quests of the Dawn
  • Elizabeth Gail and the Mystery at the Johnson Farm
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • The Knights of the Black Earth: A Mag Force 7 Novel
  • The Wiz Biz (Wiz, #1-2)
  • The Timegod (Timegod's World, #1)
  • Modern Classics of Fantasy

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
  • Timequake