Start by marking “Say Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Say Goodbye

Say Goodbye

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A leading rock journalist relates the story of a musician who leaves Texas in 1994 to make it big in Los Angeles and her struggles to succeed in a male-dominated business. Abridged.
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Audio Literature (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Say Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Say Goodbye

Glen Engel-Cox
Like many others, I once imagined a world where I was a famous rock star. In high school I wrote songs at the permanently out-of-tune upright piano and Casio keyboard my parents had purchased for me. I even joined a band for a brief shining moment (one 'gig' only). But most of my music career was in my imagination, which I indulged by crafting an entire persona complete with transparent pseudonym (Gil Chase), a wish-fulfillment history and albums complete with titles, tracklists and lyrics. At o ...more
Jim Cherry
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are few novels, and few novelists who can write a Rock ‘n’ Roll novel that has a real love of the subject and insight into the personalities attracted to Rock ‘n’ Roll. There have been a few pretenders like Elmore Leonard in Stay Cool, but he was already middle aged when Elvis broke onto the scene. But Lewis Shiner grew up a child of Rock ‘n’ Roll immersed in the culture and his writing shows a genuine love of the music and an understanding of the characters attracted to Rock ‘n’ Roll from ...more
Mark
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprised at how much I actually liked this book! It could have easily turned out schmaltzy but instead walked the line of endearing. The style was good, the characters believable and the writing engaging. It was very much watching a realistic Behind the Music unfold. Although somethings in the book were clearly dated, it was still an enjoyable read. I found myself wanting to check Spotify for albums by Laurie Moss or Skip Shaw!
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
An excellent look at what fame, and the proximity of fame does to people. The format of the book itself plays into the obsessiveness that surrounds the pursuit of fame and the famous. And Shiner is able to convey the realities of music making with an authenticity I've seen in few writers (I'm a musician myself).
Geoff
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was fantastic. It made me realize how much the last two Shiner books I read didn't come together, because this is his writing at its best. Strong, vivid, and exceptionally easy book to navigate. Fantastic insider perspectives on the rock industry. Walks the line of cliche, but it has so much heart that nobody can complain about that. Very solid book.
Bamboozlepig
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a bit to get into this book, but once I did I enjoyed it. It's a good look into the behind-the-scenes of a young singer trying to find her fame and fortune. Laurie's character was engaging and while I didn't like Skip Shaw, he was interesting enough and was a good foil for Laurie. Nice read all the way around.
Ray Charbonneau
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Story of a musician who almost made it. Shiner gets in their heads, much as he did with "real" rock stars in Glimpses. The subject pushes my buttons, so he gets a head start, but still, it's well done.
I loved Glimpses in high school, and I was eager to read another book in which Shiner suffused his fiction with rock & roll. This is well written, but I was a little disappointed. I think it was a little too LA, and a little too all-or-nothing for me. Maybe I took it personally?
Serge Pierro
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Shiner delivers a fantastic story, that is so well written, that it is believable as an actual memoir. He is able to capture the essence of what it is like to be a professional musician and the world that surrounds them. As a musician myself, I found that much of what he wrote hits home.
Matt Piechocinski
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only better fictional oral biography I can think of is Rant. Shiner should be way more popular than what he is, as I've said before.
Guillermo
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: music lovers
It's out of print, but can still be bought at amazon.com.

I could write a review on it, but I'm drained.
Jeanie Jones
I saw it had great reviews but I just had a hard time getting into it.
Gary Broyhill