Start by marking “Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby, Naturally: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  206 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
For more than twenty-five years, "Mothering" magazine has captured an audience of educated women who appreciate its "we'll inform, you choose" approach to parenting. "Having a Baby, Naturally" reflects this spirit with straightforward, uncensored information about pregnancy and childbirth, addressing common concerns and questions in a compassionate, nonjudgmental style.Wri ...more
Published August 5th 2003 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby, Naturally, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby, Naturally

Danielle
Sep 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009-read, parenting, pans
Should be titled "the hippy guide to childbirth".

Perhaps I misunderstood the title. I was looking for information on unmedicated (ie - "natural") birthing, but there was not much information in the book about this topic. This was a very basic book that touches on many topics but doesn't go in depth. No information here is new after reading the Bradley Method book and Pregnancy Week by Week. I'd recommend reading these two books instead. Book also has several herbal recipes for massage oils and
Annette
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Dana
Nov 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Liked the emphasis on post-delivery changes. After you read about three of these, the information gets a little repetitive, but I think it helps to get it all really ingrained.
Heather
Feb 24, 2009 rated it liked it
I just skimmed most of this one, didn't read it in depth. I felt the info was not unique to this book, that it covered the same basics as every other book on this topic just a tad heavier on the mystical.

I do not believe in mystical superstitions and am not pro-abortion so those were huge star deductions for me.

The reading style is pleasant and the chapters are well-organized--one of the more well written books on this subject. There are also lot's of "recipes" for massage oils, aromatherapy, et
Heather
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Some good information and encouragement here. Some sketchy/out of date info with regards to vaccines and crib bumpers that I sideyed pretty hard. Book was slightly alarmist about routine medical procedures, possibly scaring women about things they might have no choice to go through, or making them think they don't need them when only a doctor can say if you do. Plus had some extra hippie stuff that I wasn't into, but it was usually included as insets that I could easily bypass. Not bad overall.
Vesper Stamper
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childbirth
My only regret is that this book isn't 3 times as long. Goes into the baby's (and mom's) development, just like What to Expect, but with 150% more "brain", sensitivity and respect for the *mother's* choices. Lots of great suggestions for natural remedies as well as decision-making. Mothering Magazine (of which O'Mara is the editor) is hands-down the best parenting magazine out there. It stands to reason that this book would be an excellent resource. Common sense.
Leahjoypro
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Again, another book I wish I had read when I was pregnant with my 1st child, rather than my 3rd, but a good read none-the-less. Although the book claims to portray all sides of each decision a pregnant/new mother makes, it definitely leans heavily toward natural choices. Being as I slant toward natural choices as well, that worked for me. I skimmed over most of the homeopathic stuff b/c that just wasn't for me.
Malia
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is very opinionated. Fortunately, I agreed with a lot (not all) of their opinions and had already done my research to get to those conclusions. But be prepared for spouted opinions and not a lot of backup information.

I got some good information out of it that I hadnt seen elsewhere, such as exercises to prepare for labor, the breech tilt, which I almost had to use, etc.
Melanie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't actually read the whole thing because I have read a lot of pregnancy books (and have had 2 other pregnancies) and just wanted to skim and read the sections on managing pain in labor. Those sections and the chapter with birth stories were fine, nothing special. Prefer other books like "Mindful Birthing" and "Birthing a Better Way."
Ashley
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very informative, backed by legitimate sources, and it probably helps that I trust mothering magazine to give good info. All the recipes were a bit much for me, but I wouldn't change it. It's not a birthing book, it's about pregnancy- during and a little after. Even has something for the dads and those who are unfortunate enough to lose their child. I found it to be a good reference book.
Caitlin
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
There were some useful bits of information in this book. Unfortunately they were scattered indiscriminately among recommendations for homeopathic remedies and slightly condescending statements about breast feeding and cosleeping without any context or indication that the statements were controversial.
Tonya Jenusaitis
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very informative, but not overwhelming. Gives you a lot of history on culture and changes as well as ways to incorporate tradition into your birth and pregnancy. I borrowed it from my midwife's office and will be copying a dozen or so pages to keep for myself. The end has a few chapters for fathers. My husband is reading that now.
Ellen
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doing
"'She broke the bread in two fragments and gave them to the children, who ate with avidity. 'she hath kept none for herself,' grumbled the Sergeant. 'Because she is not hungry,' said a soldier. 'Because she is a mother,' said the Sergeant.' - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables"
Mindi
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
found myself seeking answers in this book for many many months, through two pregnancies/births. i was always impressed with the straightforward nature of the content, whether or not i agreed with all of it (i usually did).
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, pregnancy
Every woman who's about to have a baby or thinking about one day having a baby should read this book! It has a wealth of information to help you through the childbirth experience, which is an experience that unfortunately Americans have learned to fear rather than embrace and even savor.
Colleen
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby
Another book with drawings of birthing positions. This book has a 2 page spread of all of them together which is nice. A good book too with lots of info to answer last minute questions as you get close to the birth. I enjoyed this book.
Shannon
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Comprehensive but not in depth natural pregnancy/birth book. Some information is wrong (honey recommended for postpartum nipple cream, moms of preemies pumping to bring in their milk don't need to pump during the overnight hours).
Theresa
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lots of great information, mostly practical stuff.
Julie
Nov 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
a very helpful book with good information
Shannon
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: baby, read-nonfic
I had issues with some of the statements of fact in this book...I'm beginning to think I'm not really an essential oils and raspberry leaf tea kind of girl.
Sara
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: babyparenting
this book has some great ideas in it. a little hippie for me. but i've been able to filter. i'm getting a lot out of it. definitely some things to go "back to" before the big day - LABOR, that is :)
Rachelle
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book has given me such a great perspective especially since I am going for the natural birth--it is so much less pessimistic than "What to Expect When You're Expecting"
Kristy
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pregnancy-birth
Great reference book.
Devon Hernandez
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A-w-e-s-o-m-e. A great book from the best parenting magazine. Very nonbiased but informative. Everyone needs to read this before getting pregnant, or while you are.
Kat Case
Oct 08, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: pregnancy
how did I never know that Mothering Magazine has a pregnancy book??? Now I need to get pregnant again just so I can read this......
Zen
Good basic info but not memorable.
Ifiibeke
Mar 07, 2017
Valerie
Mar 26, 2012
Kayla
Mar 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Informative, but not captivating.
Alexa Clay
Jan 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Pregnancy Book: A Month-By-Month Guide Tag: Everythg. You Need to Know from America'S..
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth (Revised)
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • The Complete Organic Pregnancy
  • Your Amazing Newborn
  • Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth And The Newborn (2001) (Retired Edition)
  • Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature
  • Birth without Violence
  • Heart & Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy & Birth
  • The Hip Mama Survival Guide: Advice from the Trenches on Pregnancy, Childbirth, Cool Names, Clueless Doctors, Potty Training, and Toddler Avengers
  • Birthing from Within: An Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation
  • Gentle Birth Choices
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • The Doula Book: How A Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have A Shorter, Easier, And Healthier Birth
Peggy O’Mara is the mother of four grown children. She has gained international celebrity as publisher, editor and owner of Mothering Magazine. She is also the author of four books: Having a Baby Naturally: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth, Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting, The Way Back Home: Essays on Life and Family, and A Quiet Place: Essa ...more
More about Peggy O'Mara