Start by marking “Your Music and People: creative and considerate fame” as Want to Read:
Your Music and People: creative and considerate fame

Your Music and People: creative and considerate fame

A philosophy of getting your work to the world by being creative, considerate, resourceful, and connected.
Published June 29th 2020 by Hit Media

To ask other readers questions about Your Music and People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Music and People

Start your review of Your Music and People: creative and considerate fame
Allysia K
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short and potent! I love how digestible this book is, delivered in a series of small pieces. I took tons of notes. The gist of it is this: be a real human being, make friends, and be unique and unforgettable.
Ron Suhodrev
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome advice about personal marketing that can fit none musicians just as well. Written in Derek Sivers' unique style.
Also, the audio version is amazing
Dillan Taylor
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful expansion of Derek’s masterpiece “Anything You Want.”

This book is written for the perspective of someone trying to make it in the music industry but 100% of those directions can be replaced with whatever you’re creating: business, art, or otherwise.

My favorite underlying thesis from this book is that you don’t have to chase money or success; if you instead chase ways to help others, solve their problems, and keep in touch with these relationships...money and success will come as natu
Keshav Bhatt
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of Derek Sivers. His writing is succinct, powerful & memorable - Anything You Want is one of my favourite books, and one I re-read every year. Though this book is aimed at musicians seeking success, it has some brilliant pieces of wisdom that can be applied to anyone anywhere. I can't wait to get the hard copy & share a more in depth review soon. But definitely a great read! ...more
Bruce De Meester
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I'm biased, but I love how Derek writes with transparency, pragmatism, and direct he is.

Also to note, he's a profound flexible thinker who'll change your views on the world with his writing.

. You can use them for every industry you would like to work in.
Stephen Heiner
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Don't be fooled by the title. Of course Derek comes from the music industry so that's what he will most competently refer to, but he's using that industry as a backdrop to talk about life and business, specifically the creative kind. Just like his recent "Hell Yes or No" book this is built of micro-essays which you can easily access via vanity URLs. A few of my favorites:

"Everything that seems depressing can be flipped to work in my favor." sivers.org/flipstick

"Someone sees you carrying a guitar
Tudor
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good bits of advice, tailored for people in the music industry, but which also seem to apply to people working in the entertainment industry in general.

Short book, worth a read :)
Marcey Rader
Aug 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Derek Sivers is a professional musician, writer, and founder of CD Baby. Your Music and People isn't just for musicians, almost anyone that needs to market themselves (and who doesn't?) could benefit. I'm a Derek Sivers fan and enjoy listening to his interviews. This would have easily been four stars with a few edits. I like Derek's voice and felt like he was talking to me, but every single one of the 88 chapters had this musical interlude which, I swear, made the book an extra ten minutes and j ...more
Laci
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Sivers' work, his essays are short, to the point and always relevant.

While I am a marketing professional and not a musician, I took many important lessons away from this book, and plan on re-reading it as soon as I can process the first time.

Something I implemented after reading this is working on eliminating distractions - in a world of social media and constant push notifications this can be extremely difficult, but I like the concept of "deep vs shallow work" and want this
Peter Sanchez
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2021
Derek one of my faves. I'm not a musician but this book is so much more than music. It truly is a business book. I find his style of writing to be calming. For some reason it helps me reset and think things through. I can't recommend his books enough.

(Honestly, I read his book "Anything you want" once or twice a year!)
Saif
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a super refreshing read! It exposed me to possibilities that I just didn’t think of and put some of my gut feelings into words.

I especially loved how universal the advice was. Music was a great metaphor throughout the book. I found myself replacing the examples with relevant ones from my own life.

Oh and the succinctness of it all. I pretty much highlighted the entire book! Had to take breaks every few pages just to absorb things.

Now comes the hard part where I need to  sit down and actually
Rob
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Oustanding collection of Sivers' essays. If you've read his essays on sivers.org, you know the type of deep and counterintuitive thinker he is, and how he's able to succinctly frame deep ideas.

I highly recommend to anyone in the work of creating something. The book is nominally for musicians, but I'm not a musician, and I took a lot of notes. I'ver ordered the hard cover from Derek and plan on re-reading as soon as I have it, it's that kind of book.
Thomas Fisher
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Derek is back And is just as profound and concise as he was in “Anything You Want” one of my favorite and most read books.

Music and your people is for musicians but the mindful reader can easily apply this advice to all manner of artistic or creative endeavor.

Thanks again Derek for challenging and encouraging!
Dave Applegate
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Your Music and People is less about music and more about how to succeed at any artistic endeavor (including building a product.) It's a quick easy to digest read. I picked up a handful of gyms. The UFO/Hobo marketing idea was pure genius. I'd recommend this book to anyone trying to build something. ...more
Jethro
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In typical Derek Sivers fashion, he gives clear advice, specific to an industry that is surprisingly applicable to many other industries.

Great ideas and thoughts. Things were said in a different enough way that they got me to think of some changes I need to make in my business planning.
Dustin
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book! All the good info compressed into only whats needed. The title says its for musicians or people working in the music industry, but everything can also be applied to other jobs/industries aswell. A great book again! Thanks so much Derek!
Christina Luo
For anyone honing their art whether or not in the music industry, Derek offers considerate and at times contrarian advice backed by personal experience. It's hunches of intuition, connected and narrated. The advance marketing for the book and check-out experience was delightful on its own. ...more
John Jolly
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not a musician, but assumed there was plenty of life/business advice for non musicians. I was correct. Good stories, good anecdotes, good ideas and good thoughts. Overall a good book and concise. An easy read. recommended.
Jon Douglas
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
As always, Derek’s easy to digest books on creativity and considering fame is a hit in my eyes. Straight to the point, no fluff, and some wonderful takeaways. I’m not a musician, but I bought this book knowing how I could apply everything in what I’m trying to build. Thanks Derek!
Jeff
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who is seriously pursuing any type of creative endeavor that involves connecting with an audience needs to read this book.

It is written from the perspective of musicianship and the music industry but can just as easily apply to writing, acting, etc.
Travis Hellstrom
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I love Derek Sivers! He has a real skill at simplification and synthesis. It’s wonderful to read a book by an author who doesn’t waste space or words. Regardless of whether you are in the music industry or not this book has great reminders on how to build trust, care for others and make an impact.
Bob Wilson
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Fantastic book, filled with insights and helpful knowledge you can apply right away. While the focus is on the musicians and the music industry, the information within is helpful to anyone who is working in a creative field, writers, painters, etc.
Well-done!
Adam Ashton
Mar 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It’s about music and musicians... but it’s not JUST about music. Honestly I think this is a marketing book in disguise. Very relevant to me right now, as I am approaching releasing a creative project to the world.
Tracy
It's relatively easy to apply this advice to any creative work.

Really inspirational and thought-provoking! I took my time reading this, a few essays at a time, over two months. I really enjoyed Hell Yeah or No but this book is probably more focused.
David
Jul 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It's another Derek Sivers book. You should buy it if you like anything he's written, because it's more gold on almost every page.

Even as a non-musician, I loved the approach sketched out here and I'm going to try to incorporate it into my business life as I can.
Ranjana
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Succinct, engaging, and highly useful for anyone who is an entrepreneur especially in the creative fields. So think musicians, writers, artists, photographers, dancers, actors, etc.
Jodie Cook
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More absolute gems from Derek Sivers.

Lots of food for thought, lots of pieces that will resonate so deeply that you'll be compelled into doing something straight away.
Jaap Grolleman
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely accessible and even though the topic is music, the book is full of life lessons. (Plus I helped translate the Dutch edition.)
Thomas Van Holder
A clear, original thinker. A pleasure to read.
Dylan Blanchard
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm no musician, and I don't have a peoples... but this was an interesting read nonetheless.
Quick, concise, and I'll sit for a Derek lesson any time.

• The Practice: Shipping Creative Work
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
  • Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives
  • Attachments
  • Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
  • Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours
  • Dedicated: The Case for Commitment in an Age of Infinite Browsing
  • The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3)
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • Noise: A Flaw in Human Judgment
  • Sing, Unburied, Sing
  • Effortless: Make It Easier to Do What Matters Most
  • Turning Pro
  • The Great Mental Models, Volume 2: Physics, Chemistry and Biology
I’ve been a musician, producer, circus performer, entrepreneur, TED speaker, and book publisher.

I started CDBaby and HostBaby long ago. My short audio/book, Anything You Want, tells you everything I learned while starting, growing, and selling the business.

Monomaniac, introvert, slow thinker, and love finding a different point of view.

California native, I now live in Oxford, England.

I love heari

News & Interviews

The last five years of world history have been nothing if not...eventful. When living in interesting times, there's nothing better for...