Start by marking “Savage Shore: Life and Death with Nicaragua's Last Shark Hunters” as Want to Read:
Savage Shore: Life and Death with Nicaragua's Last Shark Hunters

Savage Shore: Life and Death with Nicaragua's Last Shark Hunters

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Nicaragua's Atlantic coast is home to the most dangerous of fish, the bull shark, a lethal predator with a fearsome appetite and the only shark that swims in inland waters. Braving Nicaragua's hurricane-torn wilderness of mangrove swamps, Edward Marriott joins the last surviving shark fishermen to sail in a dugout canoe and fish for sharks with a hand line.

As Marriott char
Published March 1st 2001 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Savage Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savage Shore

Lauren
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
The first 50 pages are great, then it is pretty much downhill. However, it did make me an expert (at least in my mind) on bull sharks the whole time I was in Nicaragua. My travel companions make say this book just made me annoying since I started MANY sentence with "Did you know bull sharks...."
metralindol
книгу із фотонегативом заготівельника акулячих плавців на титулці починалося читати дуже довго й кілька разів. врешті-решт зінвертоване у фотошопі зображення, виявившись рутинним моментом з чийогось далекого життя, стало позитивом й зрештою урухомило процес читання цього літа. задумане як щось на взірець книжного еквіваленту подорожі в дусі кореспондента National Geographic з ручкою замість камери (як я собі то розумів), "Дике Узбережжя" не викликало у мене великих очікувань. однак авторові меан ...more
Eric_W
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
I ran across this book while browsing through a Barnes and Noble where Sheila was signing her latest book. I ordered it when we returned along with several others by Marriott, an excellent sociologist/anthropologist.
The bull shark, notorious for its aggressive behavior and a fearsome appetite, is unique in that it inhabits both fresh and salt water. They can maneuver and attack in as little as three feet of water, so it’s been difficult to sell the area as a tourist attraction since swimming is
Paul
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nicaragua does not appear to have entered the late twentieth century intact, especially the Atlantic coast or the interior.
I am pretty sure if I was to ever go there the only water I would enter would be a swimming pool or shower. Between the sharks in the ocean, rivers, and lakes, the piranhas, and the alligators it sounds a little to much wild kingdom for me. The author had some major guts to travel the way he does in a country as dysfunctional as Nicaragua. This was a very entertaining book.
Jenn
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all good travel writing, gives you a sense of the cultural and historical context in which the story takes places.
Selkie
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edward Marriott does an excellent job describing the people, land, & culture of Nicaragua. His descriptive writing style would be just as suitable as a guide book, as it is a biography of his own adventures.
No doubt his attempt at finding one of the "monster sharks" futile & disappointing, but hopefully he found as much satisfaction with his writing as his readers do.
Andy
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: environment
A first hand view of Nicaragua's shark hunters. Gives interesting looks into the life of the bull shark, as well as some info on Nicaraguan life and culture.
Jrobertus
Jul 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
an entertaining narrative of a trip from the atlantic coast to lake nicaragua talking to shark hunters. tracking the migration of bull sharks into the lake.
Majorarcana
May 10, 2015
Brandon Weidman
Dec 26, 2016
Madeleine
Some of the scenes in this book were hard for me to stomach as an animal lover. But the history of shark hunting provides a great context for a comprehensive history of Nicaragua's mangled past.
Sharon Vonk