Start by marking “A Pho Love Story” as Want to Read:
A Pho Love Story

A Pho Love Story

If Bao Nguyen had to describe himself, he’d say he was a rock. Steady and strong, but not particularly interesting. His grades are average, his social status unremarkable. He works at his parents’ pho restaurant, and even there, he is his parents’ fifth favorite employee. Not ideal.

If Linh Mai had to describe herself, she’d say she was a firecracker. Stable when unlit, but
Published February 9th 2021 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Pho Love Story, please sign up.
dale ✿ you may be able to find it at your local library, but it's also available on amazon, barnes & noble and target (it's probably at other places as well …moreyou may be able to find it at your local library, but it's also available on amazon, barnes & noble and target (it's probably at other places as well but without excessive research, i wasn't able to check smaller retailers!!)(less)

Start your review of A Pho Love Story
jessica
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
i read this book on an empty stomach - i am not a smart person. THERES. SO. MUCH. FOOD. haha.

and ive never actually had pho before, but now im super interested in trying it! so theres one positive for this book.

some more positives would be everything about the vietnamese culture, the own voices storytelling, baos gentleness, linhs drive, the easy-going writing, and the super cuteness of it all.

my only minor critique would be the slow pacing and long length - its just not a good combination as i
Lien
Aug 04, 2020 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
As a pho-natic, just looking at the word makes me hungry.
This will be pho-nomenal. Pho sure.
Sorry, I’ll stop now.
Pho real.
Loan Le
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Wow. I published a novel? I'm still trying to comprehend that. Thanks for stopping by this page and giving me your stars. Whether you gave me five stars or one star, that's up to you. I'm just glad you saw something in A Phở Love Story initially--the cover, the description, my author bio (probably not; I'm boring)--and thought, hmm, okay, I'll check this out. From the bottom of my heart: Thank you. Readers, you matter so much.

Set in present-day California, A Phở Love Story is about first love,
Jessica
4.5 Stars

TW for loss of a loved one and racism

This was such a cute YA romance!! I really loved how Bao and Linh haven't talked to each other for their entire lives because of their family feud until Bao approaches Linh outside of her restaurant their senior year when she's having a rough time. Their budding friendship was so cute and I loved how they both bonded over the pressure from their parents and the unknown of their futures. This was more a friends to lovers and they were forced to hang
Phuong ✯

the bad: starting this book at 3 am when hungry and suffering because of all the food references
the good: eating Pho while reading this book and feeling like I accomplished something, when in fact I didn't accomplished anything by doing that. 🤣

I was hoping to find something pho-nomental, but unfortunately everything was very pho-gettable.

━»•» «•«━━━━━━━━
WHAT WORKED
━»•» «•«━━━━━━━━

➸ this is an own voice story so the viet rep is pretty accuate which is like a huge plus pho p
Tova
Sep 20, 2018 marked it as 2021-releases
This looks ridiculously cute, and I am super excited.
michelle (magical reads)
read on my blog

rep: ownvoices Vietnamese-American protagonists and side characters

**I received an ARC from the publisher through Netgalley (thank you, Simon Teen!). These are my honest opinions, and in no way was I compensated for this review.**

If you follow me on Twitter, you know that I’ve been screaming about this book for literal years. I’ve been so hyped for it for so long, and when I finally got the chance to read an ARC, I dropped everything for it! A Pho Love Story was the Vietnamese
Shealea
Feb 01, 2021 marked it as will-not-finish
Shelves: arc-review
Will not finish - 37%

A Pho Love Story was listed as part of my most highly anticipated 2021 releases. And so, it hurts my heart a little to admit that I don't have the energy to finish this book.

This isn't a badly written book. It's just not a story for me. I know that A Pho Love Story will resonate deeply with a lot of readers from the Asian diaspora, especially among immigrants. In fact, I highly recommend reading the reviews of Michelle and Lauren.

However, as someone who's been born and r
 Teodora
3.5/5 ⭐

I appreciate this book.
And I say that because first of all, it was a really quick and very cute read with an adorable love story and with lots of yummy-sounding dishes!
For real, food should always be top priority when it comes to cute love stories.

Second of all, I did appreciate the little insights we get in here about the Vietnamese culture.
Like the uncultured swine I am, I have to admit that I haven't crossed paths with many Vietnamese things in my life so this was definitely a very ed
Saniya (sunnysidereviews)
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-to-read
Thank you Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Publishers for providing me with a copy of the book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

First let’s talk about the plot! The original premise sounded very promising, and the plot was executed pretty well. The readers were able to get lovely descriptions of Phở and other delicious Vietnamese foods, which made me, admittedly, very hungry. Unfortunately, I felt as though we didn’t get much time in the restaurants. It would have been so cool to see all the
delaney
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Vietnamese-American author!!!! YES!!!

But—Those last 100 pages were A STRUGGLE.

That’s my two opinions of A Pho Love Story: love the Vietnamese representation, didn't love the execution all together so much.

Let's start with the positives, so anyone reading this review will still want to pick it up! As a Vietnamese-American myself, I especially loved the little Vietnamese things in here: Garden Grove/Little Saigon setting, savage Vietnamese moms, the food, mannerisms/way of speaking, language, e
Alexa
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
I really enjoyed this book! I found both Linh and Bao relatable (and for different reasons), and I appreciated getting the chance to see their story unfold (including the drama between their families and how that played out). It also made me crave all sorts of food, but particularly Vietnamese food. Definitely a debut worth checking out!
Nenia ✨️ I yeet my books back and forth ✨️ Campbell
Romance novels about food are my favorite kind of romance
Prerana
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, ya
This is the type of book I want to read everyday. I am usually not a big fan of romance novels that do not star adults because they are often not written well or they are too angsty or they try to market first love/young love as the end-all, be-all. However, I found myself really into just a few of these books in the recent years, and the thing I noticed was that all of them did not star white characters.

What a concept. Once you let go of the whiteness, the books are not a coming-of-age story wh
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
The Mai and the Nguyen family have been rivals forever, since long before the Mai family set up a rival Vietnamese restaurant across the street from the Nguyen's restaurant. Bao Nguyen and Linh Mai have been forbidden to speak to each other, but when Bao sees Linh in the alley one day, he gets curious...and the two realize they have a lot in common. Now if they can only hide their growing attraction from their feuding parents.

This was absolutely delightful, although definitely DO NOT read this h
Trinity Tran
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m a pho-natic, so naturally, this book gets a 5 stars from me (no seriously, I can eat pho for breakfast, lunch, and dinner). But on another note, this book was ridiculously adorable! This book not only has Vietnamese protagonists but also takes place in Little Saigon, California–aka my home. Being able to read about Bolsa, La Quinta, and just places that I grew up around was so heartwarming. The descriptions of various settings were so home-y to me that I could vividly picture where the chara ...more
Lauren Lanz
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was ok
This book definitely succeeded at something: making me hungry.

Besides that, I was saddened to find the characters flat and hard to differentiate aside from their hobbies. The perspectives were so similar sounding that for a few chapters I thought both protagonists were women, until a specific pronoun clued me in that I’d been completely wrong about Bao. I found it a little funny that I could be so mistaken, but it has to be a fault of the narrative that led me to believe it for quite some time.
✫erin✫
Feb 04, 2021 rated it did not like it
a pho love story tried really hard, but it didn't pay off. the characters were flat and dull, the romance was horrible and at some point, it physically hurt me to continue reading.

putting this one down and never picking it up again at about 40%.
nora 🪐
3.8/5 ☆

This book was one my most anticipated reads of the year. I had looked forward to reading this one ever since I heard about it. After all, it was a rom-com following two teenagers of vietnamese immigrants. This felt definitely aimed at me and my own family. And at most points, this book excelled! I was really engaged in the story, and found myself relating to some of the characters wayyyyy too much.

Unfortunately, the plot became a bit bland after the second half. I didn't really know what
Tiffany (Read By Tiffany)
CAUTION: don’t read this book while hungry because you will find yourself craving a warm bowl of pho, savory egg rolls, crispy banh xeo, and so much more.

Filled with the most delicious food descriptions and a sweet romance, A Pho Love Story explores the complexities of family expectations and forming your own identity. Through our main protagonists, Linh and Bao, we learn about the families’ rivalry in food and shared pasts, shaped by the Vietnam War.

A Pho Love Story follows the dual perspecti
prag ♻
Jun 25, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
THE COVER IS SO CUTE!!! I LOVE ILLUSTRATED COVERS
Finitha Jose
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
There is no need to wonder why 'Romeo and Juliet' is still popular. Times might have changed but we have similar scenarios even now, apparently. And thus we have 'A Pho Love Story' . . oh, don't worry . . . with a happy ending. After all, anything can be resolved if you can talk it out.
I am neither Vietnamese nor American but anyone from Asian families can really relate to Loan Le's debut. The family rivalry is one thing and along with that is the pressing matter of following your dreams. Its a
Ruei (Ruei's Reading Corner)
Full Review: https://rueisreadingcorner.blogspot.c...

For as long as Bao can remember, he's always been told to stay away from Linh. The same also applies to Linh, whose parents also own a pho restaurant across the street from Bao's. The competitive rivalry is intense and both teens definitely don't plan to cross paths.

Working at a restaurant is hard. Linh would much rather spend time on her art but since her family's part-time workers left, she needs to fill in. One busy night at Linh's family r
Lunabookaddict
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
I loved it so so so much. Omg can’t wait to have the finally copy in my hand ✨
Fanna
Jul 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-releases
July 01, 2020: You can't expect me to not be excited when a Vietnamese-American love story is said to be perfect for fans of When Dimple Met Rishi because EXCUSE ME. And then this cutest cover. ...more
Amelia Oswald
It's cute but does it necessary to add a bunch of Vietnamese quotes and wordings with no footnotes? I can understand them I still find it annoying to other readers. (And to Vietnamese readers out there if you choose to read this book please don't take your political stance to judge this book). After finishing this book I already knew that it would be banned in Vietnam (for obvious reason). ...more
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
DNF @30%

I had such high hopes for this one because I love books about restaurants, but this one fell flat. The dual first person POVs are too similar, which makes them ineffective. Also, the book is over 400 pages, which I find is unnecessary and makes everything drag. I don’t care enough about the story to endure another 300 pages.
Emer (A Little Haze)
I’m mad at this book! Because that ending.... ahhhhhhhh gave me all the feels and I loved it so much. But the first 50% or so... it draaaaaged. At times I wanted to dnf so bored was I.

This definitely felt like a book of two halves.

The first half just didn’t have the right kind of pacing in my opinion. The real crux of the storyline felt like it just took too long to get going.

It was inevitable from the get go that the two main characters Linh and Bao would get together. I have no issue with th
Jewel
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Finally, after reading a few disappointing new releases, I have a novel to add to my "2021 book recommendations" list.

I've made no secret of the fact that it's hard for me to appreciate contemporary romance in high school settings. They're usually not my cup of tea because I'm not into light and fluffy, backbiting and popularity contests, and other typical high school factors. When I read those books, I tend to relate more with the older and more mature characters because many of the teenage ma
Helen Power
A Pho Love Story is the epitome of sweet young adult romance. A modern-day, diverse Romeo and Juliet, but without the tragic demises of the titular characters (Hope a spoiler alert wasn't needed there!). Bao has a dry, sarcastic wit that comes out particularly when dealing with his parents and the rumor-mill surrounding the restaurants, and the narrative made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion.

One of the major draws for this book (for me, anyway) is the Vietnamese characters. I love wh

• A Taste for Love
  • Mexican Gothic
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Happily Ever Afters
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Love in English
  • The Midnight Library
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Merchant of Venice
  • Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
  • The Art of Intimacy: The Space Between
  • Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)
  • Kind of Hindu
  • Havenfall (Havenfall #1)
  • Rent a Boyfriend
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
Loan Le is the youngest child of two Vietnamese immigrants hailing from Nha Trang. She holds an MFA degree in fiction from Fairfield University, also her undergraduate alma mater. A Pushcart Prize–nominated writer, her short stories have appeared in CRAFT Literary, Mud Season Review, and Angel City Review. Loan is an editor at Simon and Schuster's Atria Books imprint and lives in Manhattan. A Pho ...more

Articles featuring this book

If one of your favorite bookish activities is discovering fledgling authors, then you're in for quite a treat this year with the wonderful...
“But in anything you love, isn’t there always some bit of sadness, some essence of suffering? That, to me, is what makes art worth it. Suffer through it—mine the emotions you keep inside yourself, face whatever’s emotionally burdensome, take control of it—then emerge reborn in the end.” 1 likes
“Sometimes when I think too much, I make myself sadder, which doesn't help at all.” 0 likes