Start by marking “Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)” as Want to Read:
Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)

Red Heir

(Adventures in Aguillon #1)

Imprisoned pickpocket Loth isn't sure why a bunch of idiots just broke into his cell claiming they’re here to rescue the lost prince of Aguillon, and he doesn’t really care. They’re looking for a redheaded prince, and he’s more than happy to play along if it means freedom. Then his cranky cellmate Grub complicates things by claiming to be the prince as well.

Now they’re fle
Published July 30th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Red Heir, please sign up.
Mallory Seems like an actual series! Next book is with Cal and Benji, the elves from the last book.

Start your review of Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

I love Lisa Henry, and I really love her when she writes funny stories, so it's natural that I couldn't wait to try Red Heir. Though it wasn't a full home-run for me, it was charming and utterly delightful.

Red Heir really shined for me with the comedic moments. It reminded me a little bit of The Lightning-Struck Heart but dialed down a bit. There were scenes where I was shaking with laughter while reading in bed (sorry, hubby). The dialogue and the cast of character was just so fun. I
Nataliya
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
“We are travelling with a seven-foot green orc, a dwarf, an elf, a fingerdragon, and an idiot. We’re going to draw at least a little attention.”

What do you do when your imprisoned-by-evil-uncle long-lost rightful heir to the Fantasyland throne needs to be rescued from his dungeon cell in what can only be a clever plot to turn that rescue into a murder? Well, you gotta have the world’s most incompetent rescue party, of course! And so we have an anarchist “Houses and Humans”-playing teenage el
Jilly
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for light-hearted fantasy, humor, and a little sexy... this is another great find. It reminded me a little of The Lightning-Struck Heart, which is one of my favorite series because of its hilarity. And, I've already started the second book and it's even funnier than the first. Plus, Kindle Unlimited - free baby!!!! If that's not enough to entice you:

Yep, they have a dragon. A finger-sized dragon who happens to be adorable, delightful, and working on his ferociousness.

So the st
Lisa Henry
Jun 23, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: stuff-i-wrote
It's coming on July 30!

It's a ridiculous romp, and I hope you have as much fun reading it as we did writing it.

Anything you want to know, here's the place to ask!

I'll be adding the cover art as soon as I can, and trust me, it's amazing!
Snjez
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute and funny story with great characters. I really had fun reading it.
Richard Derus
Laughing living living the one you're with

Real Rating: 4.5* of five

Can't quite put my finger on it...how I got so enmeshed with Loth and Quinn and company...But here I am.

I need to know one thing: WHO IS THE REAL SCOTT?!?

Read the whole thing at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
Susan
This was lovely, I really enjoyed this. Perhaps a little more romance would have been nice, but it was still a great read.

Loth is a pickpocket, a very charming pickpocket. Except when he gets thrown into the dungeons. Apparently guards are pretty immune to his charms.

He shares a cell with a grubby young man who he names Grub. Grub doesn’t want to be called Grub, but Loth loves to mess with him, so he keeps calling him that.

When their cell suddenly get invaded by an elf, an orc, a dwarf, a finger
Vivian
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, romance-fantasy
My people!

This was pretty darn funny. A total parody of D&D; honestly, the Houses and Humans game still makes me snort when I think of a certain moody, teenage elf. There's a quest, a rescue, evil relations, a location of certain death, and a motley crew of questionable characters.

A collectivist anarchist elf, an orc, an adorable dragon, a dwarf, and a couple humans: an idiot, a prince, and an imposter; what more could you ask for in your party. Twisty-turvy, amusing, sexy, and even emotionall
Rachel
4 Stars

Reminiscent of "The Princess Bride," with its irreverent humor, eccentric ensemble, secret identities, a mysterious man in black, the Swamp of Death, and True Love, this fantasy adventure story was filled with delightfully good-hearted and madcap fun.

The story features Loth, an imprisoned scribe/pickpocket/ (sometimes whore) and all-around snarky ne’er-do-well who delights in teasing and taunting his cellmate, who he nicknames Grub (a skinny, grubby, prickly young man).

There is a foolish
Ariana
Super entertaining and very funny.

This is a cute comedy set in far far away land where a pickpocket and a prince get ‘rescued’ by a happy band of misfits: a sweet-natured orc, a handsome - and yes he knows it! - elf, a fierce, bearded dwarf lady and a (very) dumb human.

If this seems to ring a bell, yes, this does remind a lot of The Lightning-Struck Heart, just not as OTT and outrageous. Bearing that in mind, you can imagine that the quest to return the Prince back home encounters many a humoro
MLE
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
I won an ARC of this book in a giveaway from the authors. An honest review was appreciated, but not required.

I really loved this book. I think comedic fantasy is one of my favorites, but it can be hard to find a book that strikes the right balance of the two. This book did a fantastic job setting the humor in a world that felt real, and well rounded characters. I really like the main couple. They had great chemistry, and played off each other well. The secondary cast was just as well drawn, and
Mir
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

This is a funny book that I think would amuse both both fantasy lovers and people who think fantasy is dumb. A moron would-be hero and some characters who are in it for the promised payment agree to rescue a lost prince from a dungeon. They are pretty incompetent. Luckily the sulky teen elf played a lots of Dungeons and Dragons Houses and Humans, so at least he can read a map. Or could before they accidentally burned it.

Since I know a lot of my friends read The Chronicle of Heloise & Grimple, I
True Loveislovereview
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, fantasy, 2020, humor
Loth and Grub are rescued by a colorful bunch of creatures... Ada the dwarf, Dave the orc, Calarian the elf and a human named Scott, and let’s not forget the dragon Pie.
Oke, to be honest, they are not the most intelligent group.
They thought they were rescuing the redheaded Prince, but both prisoners were redheads and they both claimed to be the prince only Loth had a bigger mouth so he was the convincing one.
To be sure they were both taken and all get on their way to... Scott knows where to, he
Leaf of Absence
Aug 06, 2020 marked it as didnt-finish
I might get back to this at some point if the mood strikes me, but for now, giving up around the half way mark. This one is definitely on me, the characters/plot/tone (basically the sense of humor) is just a bit too silly and juvenile without much real comedy.
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

An MM adventure comedy romp is pretty difficult to find - or maybe I haven't tried looking hard enough? - so this was such JOY to read. Even from the very get go, I chuckled along with the set-up and the hilarious storytelling. Yes, this is a quest, with a pickpocket pretending to be a prince, the hostage (probably the real prince), the orc, the dwarf, the elf, and the idiot human. Oh wait, also the dragon, Pyromaneous the Third.

Maybe the characters are a bit two-dimensional
Eugenia
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!

Stupendous fantasy quest! 😍😍😍
This made me smile and laugh 👏👏

The blurb says it all
The narration by Nick J Russo is perfection!! 💗💗

If you love Klune‘s Verania series, this is right up your alley!

My rec? Crude jokes abound! Yes!
Dumbledore11214
This was very cute, I really like Lisa Henry's writing and I was happy to see she had a new one on KU. It is a quest as you can see only from reading the blurb and it is also a romance. I would call it romance lite, which was perfectly okay by me. I said many times that I absolutely love SFF/fantasy books which have a main story that has little or nothing to do with romance and gay couple ( or creating a gay couple) as a secondary storyline.

What left me not very satisfied was that this was chara
Lori¸¸¸.•*❀Ɍɛɑɗs̱LɪƙɛIʈs̱H̱ɛɍJɔɓ  유❤유
This was pretty adorable and definitely OTT, but that can work for me in certain books. It worked here because of the fantasy setting and Loth's character needed to be quick, clever, and witty to keep him from getting into too much trouble on his escapades. I only realized after I had finished the book that is written by one of the same authors that wrote Adulting 101 and I DNF'd that pretty quick because I really disliked both MCs in that one and it was reminiscent of the characters in this boo ...more
Rosabel
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a romantic comedy people! This is how it's done! I have never laughed so much that I cried with a book, never!

The story was a little bit simple but very well written and enjoyable. It was a mission to get back the Red Heir to the main capital, and the journey took almost all the book. In every aventure there are problems and the very first one is, that there are two heirs, so the rescue party decides to take them both.

The characters were so fucking amazing I don't know where to start! W
Kathleen
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Well. Twelve-year-old bathroom humor, a complete lack of world building, shallow characterizations, silly immature characters, clumsy sentence structure at the beginning of the book, mixture of old and new world dialogue... there was nothing about this book that worked for me. I've loved some of Lisa Henry's other stories, but it's obvious someone else had a hand in writing this book. ...more
DJ
This book was SO much fun! An adventure fantasy that’s full of humour with a great M/M romance, I had a blast reading this.
M'rella
Fun and campy!

Love it, tho I personally think it's a bit idiot-sist. Poor Scott! Not like he can help being what he is. OK, some of it is justified - like snitching, but the whole wrong map reading and babbling? So not his fault, imo, dyslexia (among other disorders) is to blame for sures. He kinda grew on me. Dave's ballads won't be as great without his misadventures!

Reminded me a bit of Thick as Thieves by Tali Spencer with Dirty Alchemist substituting for the Unicorn.

Absolutely adored the di
Gabi
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining. I had fun. :)
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This was ok, it took me a week and half to read this with me reading other books in between. The plot was great, the secondary characters too but it just fell flat. I wanted more angst, everything just felt too easy, they had no real setback. It felt like friends on a road trip that's what this was, the friends are funny but nothing happens as they drive. The romance was boring and came out of nowhere, they were attracted to each other due to proximity and nothing else. I thought when they met L ...more
Claudie ☾
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Claudie ☾ by: Rachel
I really enjoyed this fun, light-hearted story! The adventures of the motley cast of characters and their ridiculous banter had me laughing out loud. The MCs’ romance could’ve used a little more development, but I didn’t mind too much.

Thank you for your recommendation, Rachel! I had so much fun reading this. 😘
Tamara
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtqa, romance
It took me a long while to read this book, but it was entirely my fault - my RL went crazy for a bit and I didn't have time for all the things I had to do, let alone for things I do for comfort that are as time consuming as reading.
I think it's because of this I didn't enjoy Red Heir as much as I could have. When you read it a chapter a day (or two, three days) it really doesn't pack as much of a punch as reading it all in a day or two would have.
So it was a 3* read for me, but I'm giving it 4
Kk
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle_unlimited
KU Read

4 Hilarious Stars!!! 😎😉😎😉

Ohhh Im in love!!!

Red Heir tickled my funny bone from those dirty/naughty Elves Cal & Benji or the abject stupidity of Scott..

The horse jokes had me snort-laughing.

Yes this is a light rom com of a story that grabs at the beginning & doesn't let go until the end..then leaves you wishing for a sequel with more Collectivist Anarchist Elves!
Kickhy
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-absolute-favs
What a delightful read 😊
Daesy
**grm** (some spoilers)

Loth may have been a 27 years old thief, a cheater and a wh*re(more for passion and for when he needed some money, than for a real profession), but he was smart, funny and loyal(at least to Quinn), and handsome too(and he knew it and used it).
This book made me laugh many times and also if I missed the 2nd POV, since the book was written only by Loth's POV, the plot was still captivating.
I loved Quinn, and I liked to see his attitude change, from a shy, lonely and a bit s
Relly
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-2020-read, 4-stars
Entertaining

4 stars

An entertaining romp, that had me laughing out loud a couple of times with the antics of the characters.

Loth was hard to like at the start with his constant talking and making fun of Grub. But he did grow on me. I liked Grub from the beginning and it was great to see him gain confidence throughout the book.

The banter between all the characters made this story for me, the secondary characters were fantastic. I loved Dave and Little Pie. I want a little dragon.
The Backlot Gay B...: Red Heir, by Lisa Henry and Sarah Honey 1 19 Aug 12, 2020 11:13AM

• To Be Alive
  • The Painted Phoenix
  • Duking It Out (Royal Powers #1)
  • The Fantastic Fluke (The Fantastic Fluke, #1)
  • Smash & Grab (RELIC #1)
  • Deven and the Dragon
  • Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • Need for Speed (The Elite, #2)
  • Fluke and the Faithless Father (The Fantastic Fluke, #2)
  • Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • The Hero and the Hidden Royal (Royal Powers, #2)
  • Must Love Demons (Magic Emporium)
  • Lacuna
  • A Dragon's Fortune (Magic Emporium)
  • Hexes and Horns (Magic Emporium)
  • Best Laid Plaids (Kilty Pleasures #1)
  • Captive Mate (Mismatched Mates #2)
  • It's a Steal
See top shelves…
I like to tell stories. Mostly with hot guys and happily ever afters. They gotta work for it though. No free lunches on my watch.

Adventures in Aguillon (3 books)
  • Elf Defence (Adventures in Aguillon #2)
  • Socially Orcward (Adventures in Aguillon #3)