Start by marking “The House on Abigail Lane” as Want to Read:
The House on Abigail Lane

The House on Abigail Lane

From the outside, it looks like an ordinary American home, but since its construction in 1956, people have vanished as soon as they go upstairs, the only clues the things they leave behind: a wedding ring, a phone...an eye.

In its sixty-year history, a record number of strange events have been attributed to the house, from the neighbors waking up to find themselves standing
Published June 17th 2020 by Elderlemon Press

To ask other readers questions about The House on Abigail Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on Abigail Lane

Start your review of The House on Abigail Lane
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
ALL HAIL THE SUNFLOWER GOD.

The author note at the end of this book says it's already been optioned for a film, and HOLY SHIT I AM SCREAMING because this would make SUCH a good film!

Now, if that wasn't enough to convince you to pick up this absolutely delightful little novella, let me go on. The House on Abigail Lane follows the story of the titular house and all of its assorted hauntings and tragedies over a 60-year span, presented as nonfiction — which immediately sold me, as I love any sor
Kimberly
THE HOUSE ON ABIGAIL LANE by Kealan Patrick Burke is a unique novella that details events of a haunted house of an altogether different nature. Instead of one story, it's composed of individual events brought together so that you get the "full" understanding of this mystery.

". . . Greed is a great motivator, and the real estate market is loaded with house of ill repute and unscrupulous realtors . . . "

The details of what happens in and around 56 Abigail Lane I'll leave for you to read and fi
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
October is the time for short horror tales that can easily be finished in one sitting and this fits the bill at 67 pages. 🎃
It is unique as the writer (Burke) takes us through the history of, and the mystery surrounding, Number 56, Abigail Lane. Not quite your average "haunted house" story, it is presented to the reader as non-fictional and consists of different accounts through the years of experiences had at the house.

A part which stuck out to me was the way the subject of race was handled (br
Scott  Neumann
What a unique take on the haunted house story, and I loved every page of it. This novella reads as if it were a college masters thesis, but without all of the dryness to pad it out. The history of the house from when the foundation was laid and the first family moved in. Until current day and all of the inexplicable things have happened.

Kealan Patrick Burke hits it out of the park with this story, it's still just the same haunted house tropes, but it is in the original way he tells it that makes
Ginger
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, 2020
This was a great and unique look at a haunted house!
It also felt like I was reading an episode of The Twilight Zone. I really loved the unknown feel of this book and the questions of, "What the hell is this place?!"

The House of Abigail Lane is a short novella that's wrote in a historical way about a house located on Abigail Lane. Obviously. Hahaha!

Kealan Patrick Burke uses references and historical evidence to show how the house became haunted, along with all of the unknown questions about the p
Janie C.
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
An effective and creepy little chiller about an otherworldly house with lives of its own. Dream a little dream.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 Stars
As someone who has earned a reputation for my dislike of haunted house stories, I am always excited to report when I actually find one I like! This novella reads like a factual account of a particular haunted house, which made the story feel possibly true. I found the disappearances made a very compelling premise, which kept me turning the pages.
John
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Wow, what a great story! This story was very different from what I expected, and in a very good way, too! And then near the end it got even more different!

Highly recommended - unless you have no sense of wonder
Terry
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m going with 4/5 stars. I would say this is not your normal run-of-the-mill Haunted house story - if you could even classify it as that... Fun read, and the same easy-to-read quality as Mr. Burke’s other book that I’ve read. Looking forward to more from this author.
Richard
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, novellas
There is something terribly wrong at 56 Abigail Lane.

The seemingly unremarkable house is now infamous due to a large number of unexplainable events that have occurred there and this novella details its mysterious history; yet another attempt to unlock its secrets. Much of this book's effect comes from its cold, academic tone, as if we were reading an impersonal thesis paper researching the subject and its 60-year history. It adds to the creepy factor because it presents these hair-raising events
Marie Helene
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-kindle
4.5 stars, rounded up to 5 stars
This was a very enjoyable read.
Even if I never want to meet a (view spoiler), I can't wait for the Grand Opening of the Mall on Abigail Lane ... Meet you there in June 2026!
Tracy Robinson
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Houses are simply shells of wood and brick and plaster, devoid of souls, or intent. It’s us, the creatures that are installed within them, that ultimately define their character.”

I haven’t yet read a book from this author that I didn’t enjoy. Burke takes the evil house premise, adds unique details, and weaves a tale that is both entertaining and creepy.

I think the thing I love the most about the writing is while the utmost attention is paid to the story as a whole, every line is crafted with t
Ashley Daviau
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been days since I finished this little novella and I’m still thinking about it. It was absolutely BLOODY brilliant! I’m always a sucker for a good haunted house story and this one is just next level. Though it has horror in abundance and gave me shivers all down my back at certain points and made me want to sleep with the lights on or just not sleep period, it’s also a lot more than that. The way it’s presented is brilliant too, it really added something to the story for me and made me enjo ...more
Heather Horror Hellion
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There are two things in this book that really stood out to me. The first is the way the author described PTSD, it was very accurate and you could just feel for the character. As someone with a degree in counseling the way disorders are shown are really important to me. The author did great even showing the stigma people with disorders feel (the character who is bipolar.)
The second thing that stood out to me was the black man. How the situation was handled in regards to race was correct, and its
Missy (myweereads)
“All hail the sunflower god!”

The House On Abigail Lane by Kealan Patrick Burke is about a typically American looking home which was constructed in 1956 and since been the site of people going missing. They have gone unnoticed for several years. Now we have a thoroughly investigated account of who these people were and the circumstance leading up to them disappearing in The House On Abigail Lane.

Every time I buy a book by this author I know I will not be disappointed. Once again this has been pro
Helene
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emma
Oct 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This was the only book by this author that I have read and I feel pretty underwhelmed. A lot of reviewers rate this more highly than me and I feel like I’ve missed the ‘winning’ element.
Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees

"After all, it’s much easier to believe in Hell if you can already feel the flames."

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

With all the grace and tact of Erik Larson, Kealan Patrick Burke has created a novelization of non-fiction so accurately you will often wonder if the Abigail House isn't real. Located just south of Columbus Ohio, Number 56 Abigail Lane didn't wait to be finished to start its mysteriou
Ben
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my first time reading Kealan Patrick Burke and it was easily a five-star experience.

For a novelette or novella (whatever you wanna call it) this book covers a lot of characters and time but never comes off as feeling rushed or like you are overwhelmed with characters you can’t keep track of. It’s spooky and intriguing and even though the relatively short story spans generations, there’s a tight thread – or a mood rather, that sticks around and casts a creepy shadow over every page.

I lo
Joshua Marsella
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a typical haunted house story but instead got something totally different. This novella tells the story of the mysterious and terrifying happenings surrounding an average-looking house on Abigail Lane. There are plenty of scares and creepy moments, but also moments that will leave you scratching your head. This is a fast-paced read that wraps up nicely and I highly recommend it. This was also my first from Burke and I wasn’t let down.
Nancy
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Absolutely brilliant! An unsettling haunted house novella you will not forget. “All Hail The Sunflower God” 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻
Michael Sellars
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
There are few people in horror quite as adept as Kealan Patrick Burke when it comes to the novella. This is very much his form. As with Sour Candy, his latest offering comes out of the gate at a gallop. But where that novella is a close-up exploration of its protagonist’s encounter with otherworldly forces, The House on Abigail Lane takes a documentary approach. There is a deliberate matter-of-factness to the prose which does nothing to dampen proceedings. On the contrary, it adds a dose of veri ...more
Beverley Lee
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I always know when I pick up a Kealan Patrick Burke book that it's going to deliver, and this was no exception.

It has a factual tone to the narrative as we are drip fed the sinister history of Number 56 Abigail Lane and the people who lived within its shadow. And this is so brilliantly crafted by the author that you are left wondering if maybe, just maybe, this house existed.

I love that it incorporates real life events. It's such a great grounding for a story. And even though the characters are
Kasha's Book Sematary
3,5*

This was the perfect short exploration of haunted houses. Inspired on the Amityville and Winchester, this book offers you the story of the strange house on Abigail Lane where people have been vanishing for years and no one seems to notice.

Told in a similar way of a true crime story, you will start wanting to know more about this house and the people it took. Even though I absolutely enjoyed this book I felt it was too short for the amount of vanishings and stories it tried to describe so it
Ross Jeffery
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kealan strikes again - another brilliant creepy offering from someone that is turning into one of those authors you’ve just got to read whenever another book drops!

This one was slightly different - the prose was set like a report of these strange happenings connected to Abigail Lane - moving through the history of the house and the subsequent people that have disappeared or vanished.

It’s delightfully weird and creepy as a bad of one eyed cats - and the way he wraps this story up at the end is
Russell Holbrook
Feb 12, 2021 rated it liked it
After reading and loving Sour Candy, this was quite a change. I expected it to be darker, but even though it wasn't, it's incredibly inventive. Burke is a fantastic writer and there's a lot that happens in this novella. It wasn't super scary but I really enjoyed the way it read as sort of like a history of the house. Definitely a great read if you're looking for a Twilight Zone type of story. :) ...more
Isa Lavinia
This just wasn't for me, it was very reminiscent of the Twilight Zone's episode Little Girl Lost (which I also dislike). The writing is competent, at least. ...more
E. Reyes
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first Kealan Patrick Burke read, and I am very satisfied and already anticipating reading the rest of his books. THE HOUSE ON ABIGAIL LANE is such a unique and engaging reading experience that only certain authors can take you for a ride on. The happenings in the house on Abigail Lane are weird, fever-dream, and mystical and are best kept secret until he or she gets to read the story. Burke's writing is brilliant, flows easily, and the words are great to read. ...more
Peter (Peer105)
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's always a pleasure to read a story by Kealan Patrick Burke.

Earlier this month, I got a chance to read The House of Abigail Lane and I thoroughly enjoyed it. What made it stand out for me was how Burke managed to take the haunted house trope and make it feel fresh. This novella reads more like a true crime story and manages to cram a lot of characters into a short amount of pages. Yet, the characters are well developed, which I was probably most impressed by.

What I like best about Burke's sto
Zacks Books
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.25* in a video coming soon
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Horror Aficionados : The House on Abigail Lane - Kealan Patrick Burke 66 48 Oct 06, 2020 05:36AM

• Crossroads
  • Clown in a Cornfield
  • Go Down Hard
  • Dear Laura
  • Wyrd and Other Derelictions
Born and raised in a small harbor town in the south of Ireland, Kealan Patrick Burke knew from a very early age that he was going to be a horror writer. The combination of an ancient locale, a horror-loving mother, and a family full of storytellers, made it inevitable that he would end up telling stories for a living. Since those formative years, he has written five novels, over a hundred short st ...more

News & Interviews