Start by marking “Cruel as the Grave” as Want to Read:
Cruel as the Grave

Cruel as the Grave

The murder of a personal fitness trainer draws DCI Bill Slider and his team into a baffling investigation where nothing is as it first appears.

Fitness trainer Erik Lingoss is found dead in his west London flat, his head smashed by one of his own dumbbells. His heartlessly-dumped girlfriend, blood on her clothes and hands, is the prime suspect. She had means, opportuni
Expected publication: February 2nd 2021 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Cruel as the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruel as the Grave

Start your review of Cruel as the Grave
Natalie M
Jan 01, 2021 rated it liked it
A police-procedural crime with a linear storyline.

I found the murdered personal trainer Erik Lingoss a little off-putting in his antics and life before his untimely murder. The police procedural aspect held my attention but I did have the killer marked out before halfway. Not the most original plot ever conceived but it works.

The author endeavours to add suspects and motives but most were unwarranted and easy to spot as plot fillers. This novel really revolves around the victimology and some ra
Judy Lesley
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Severn House Publishing for an e-galley of this novel.

Once again I settled down for an entertaining interlude with one of my favorite groups of British cops. The Bill Slider novels by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles are police procedurals that take the reader along as a murder investigation is worked by a team I enjoy coming back to. This crime takes us into the world of the private fitness trainers who focus on the wealthy clients who are willing to pay top dollar for results.
Helen Howerton
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher, Severn House for this Advanced Reader Copy and the opportunity to review Cruel as the Grave. All opinions are my own.

To begin – fitness fanatic’s been murdered. Conventional wisdom says the latest girlfriend did it. But our Bill Slider has his doubts. They let her go, and have to start putting together a case for other suspects. Who did the guy make angry? What’s the lad been up to? Fella seems rather boring, except for the womanizing and the mounds of
Elaine Tomasso
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Netgalley and Severn House Publishers for an advance copy of Cruel as the Grave, the twenty second novel to feature DCI Bill Slider of the Met.

Personal trainer Erik Lingoss is found battered to death with his own dumbbell by the girlfriend he just dumped. With blood on her clothes and an obsession with Erik she is immediately the prime suspect, but she didn’t leave £700 under his pillow or steal his mobile so perhaps there’s more to it.

I thoroughly enjoyed Cruel as the Grav
Joyce
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
256 pages

5 stars

Erik, with a “k,” Lingoss was brutally beaten about the head in his apartment. DCI Bill Slider and DS Atherton respond to the call. A witness or suspect to the murder was also at the scene. A young woman who worked at the same gym as Lingoss. She was dumped the previous evening by Lingoss, is devastated and makes a good suspect. But all who know her don't believe that she is capable of such an act. She is very young and very naive.

Slider, Atherton and the rest of the team begin
Ray Moon
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
DCI Slider Tackles a Particularly Complex Case

The novel opens with DCI Slider and Atherton arriving at the crime scene. The victim was found in his bedroom that had a large mirror covering the window and much physical training equipment. He turned out to be a personal trainer who had his head bashed in with one of his barbells. Upon a search of his apartment, police found 13,000 pounds in a shoebox in the wardrobe and 700 more in an envelope under the pillow. The main story line proceeds from he
Clare O'Beara
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-crime
I generally enjoy this DI Slider crime series. We follow the cast through London and there is something entertaining happening at the station even if the crime solving has been stymied.
The cops of Shepherd's Bush station explore the world of gyms and personal trainers. As this isn't a situation I know or care about, the book and characters didn't make much impression on me, and even to the cops it's just another run of the mill murder. The dead man wasn't a likeable character and while we meet
Hannelore Cheney
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Severn House for the eARC.
As usual, I hated having to leave the world of Slider, Atherton, his team and of course Joanna. I love this series so much and I'm always amazed at how consistently great the books are, even after so many of them.
This one features the murder of a popular personal trainer, who bedazzled women with his extreme good looks and was not shy about sharing them among many.
The back and forth between Slider and Atherton always puts a smile on my face and t
Pgchuis
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, netgalley
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

It was great to return to the Slider/Atherton crime solving duo. The rest of the team, with their distinct characters were all still there too. I enjoy the humour, and I thought the first half of the book was extremely good: fast paced and tightly plotted. After that I felt it got a little bogged down and there were an awful lot of characters to keep straight. I didn't ever get much of a sense of what the victim was really like, bu
Robin Price
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles is an author with a wonderful sense of humour. It permeates almost every page of her novel, from her amusing chapter headings (so rare to see these days), to the relaxed banter between her investigators. Reading one of her novels is always an uplifting experience however dark the subject matter. And it is always reassuring when an author is as well read as Cynthia obviously is.
There's a complex web of human relationships in this story of a handsome murdered fitness trainer.
Nicola Christie
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy the Bill Slider books. I love the language and the interaction between the team. The victim was a bit of a sleaze but the murder is solved and I look forward to the next instalment. I would recommend all the books in the series
Biggus
Sharon Angle-boyer
Nov 19, 2020
Marion
Nov 27, 2020

• Guilt at the Garage (A Fethering Mystery, 20)
  • Girls of Brackenhill
  • The Night Hawks (Ruth Galloway Mysteries #13)
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • The Body in the Castle Well (Bruno, Chief of Police #12)
  • Outback Dreams (Bunyip Bay, #1)
  • The Coast-to-Coast Murders
  • Girl, Missing (Girl, Missing, #1)
  • The Christopher Killer (Forensic Mysteries, #1)
  • Deadly Cross (Alex Cross, #28)
  • The Roommate (Cormac Reilly, #0.7)
  • Torment
  • Moonflower Murders (Susan Ryeland #2)
  • Murder by Numbers (Langham and Dupre Mystery, #7)
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • A Song for the Dark Times (Inspector Rebus #23)
  • The Birthday Present
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on 13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, star

News & Interviews

Signed up for the 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge and looking for tips on how to discover and read more books? We’ve got your back. (And if...