Start by marking “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Washington Irving's classic tale of romantic schoolmaster Ichabod Crane and his terrifying encounter with the Headless Horseman is given new life in this edition, featuring the richly detailed, one-of-a-kind folk illustrations of Will Moses.
Published September 12th 1995 by Philomel Books (first published 1820)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Although I have heard of the Headless Horseman and Icabod Crane I did not actually know the story. (Nor did I have any particular interest as I do not care for anything the least bit unrealistic.) However, my parents went on a trip back east and bought this book for my nephew. There is nothing I like better than reading aloud to children so, knowing this might be appealing to an eight-year-old boy I read him the story. And, wonder of wonders, I actually liked it! I'm sure had I read this book to ...more
Misbah
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, ghost, fantasy
Yeah, so I read this in third grade during a group reading session.

At that time I thought the scariest thing was having to read out loud in front of a group of third graders who liked to make fun of you during recess.

Little did I know the headless horseman would sneak its way into the front of consciousness and scare the bejeezus out of me at 2 in the morning.

That shadow outside the window (the one I know is usually a tree in the morning), definitely a dude with no head.

Not a story for a 9 y
Darinda
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
An adapted version. Ichabod Crane is a schoolmaster and all-around likable guy in Sleepy Hollow. One night, after leaving a party, he encounters the Headless Horseman.

A classic tale. Entertaining and fun.
Gretchen
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My family is from nearby the setting, and I grew up with Grandma Moses posters, so reading this was like visiting old friends.
Kathy
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Great story and illustrations.
Elijah Park-Rosser
I liked this book until the end, because I didn't like that after he got hit by the pumpkin Ichabod was never seen again.
Carrie Marie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personally-owns
An enjoyable spooky story for children with beautiful pictures to study on every page.
Dolly
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls are familiar with this story - we've watched a Scooby-Doo episode about it (The Headless Horseman of Halloween) and we've read Sleepy Hollow Sleepover by Ron Roy, but I had never read them the original story.

I borrowed Legend of Sleepy Hollow from our local library, but then I saw this slightly shorter picture book version and I thought I'd read it first.

This is an entertaining version of the classic tale. The language is simple and modern and the illustrations certainly complement t
Breanna Lechase
1. Awards the book has received (if any): No awards
2. Appropriate grade level(s): 1st – 2nd grade
3. Original 3-line summary
Ichabod Crane, a school master, becomes entranced by one of his students, Katrina Van Tassel, partly because of her beauty and charm, but mainly because of her likely inheritance. Brom Van Brunt, another one of Katrina’s suitors, has scared off others from trying to marry her, but Ichabod proves to be more resilient until, one night after a party at the Van Tassel’s, Katrin
Jonathan Balun
If you are from the Midwest like I am, You have grown up with this story. This is an adapted version of Washington Irving's original. The illustrations by Will Moses are wonderful! The whole thing is done in a classic Americana style that fits the story so well. You have Ichabod, Katrina, Brom Bones, and of course, The Headless Horseman. Read this for grades 2 and up for a fall and Halloween treat! The adaption remains very faithful to the original. You just get the added bonus of nice big pictu ...more
Tom Schulte
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I am not really impressed with the simplistic artwork of Grandma Moses' great-grandson and the Scooby Doo-style ghost story. I pulled this from my shelves meaning to discard it, but I see Will Moses inscribed it to me for my birthday in 2002. I guess I should keep it, then, although I don't recall that birthday or who arranged this...

Also, this is overtly aimed at children, but I think there is too much text and a too convoluted tale with artwork that isn't going to work for kids.

Overall, a poo
Rebecca
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take bad reviews with a grain of salt. They're not seeing this book through the eyes of a mesmerized child or with a child's imagination. The illustration is what makes this copy a gem and worth reading. If you want to skip the story just make it up with the pictures. Your child isn't going to be scared, and this certainly isn't about witchcraft. Most kids live a long way from "Sleepy Hollow". Halloween is about having fun. It's the people that don't celebrate that I worry about!
Alanpalmer
Nothing like the film. this book like most of the Horror stories of the period it relies more on atmospherics to direct the readers imagination. The text concentrates more on the relationship btween Iccabod Crane and his rival for his love interest. The horror is mentioned once in the first half of the book as the scene develops but then in the latter part when the atmosphere is set the horror ending develops to its climax.
Marissa J.
Mar 16, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traditional
The story of Ichabod Crane is one of witchcraft and the "myth" of the headless horseman.

This book, in my opinion, is not in the nature that would be appropriate for children. There is a large amount of text in this particular version and children may become bored before it is over. Also, the storyline itself is a bit scary for young children especially. The illustrations do not draw the reader in and I found it as a difficult/boring read so I do not see children enjoying this story.
Tracy E.
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Washington Irving fans, children being introduced to literature
This is a very faithful retelling of the original short story. Moses' folk paintings are beautiful and reflect the emotion of the people and the beauty of the nature Crane admires. I think some people rate this low because it's not solely the chase scene as a ghost story they are accustomed to.
Moe
Nov 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 7th-grade-stupid
Wow, what a waste of time. Aside from explaining about how great the scenery was, the plot wasn't even good. If you want to read about the sleepy hollow this is not your book. If you want something to point and laugh at, get this book out of the discount section and read it.

-Moe
Nancy
Every fall, I read this book anew. I love the primitive art by Will Moses, the grandson of Grandma Moses; and how it ties in so well with this story of country bumpkins, old-fashioned superstition, and good ol' American gluttony. Love it!
Sara
Read this while waiting to go into Horseman's Hollow in Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.
Tammy
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Washington Irving tells a great tale about a Yankee in the back woods of New York. It's not as scary as the Disney movie, but having seen the movie, Irving's images are easier to visualize.
Joel Manuel
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on the classic tale of the Headless Horseman, with folk art paintings by author Moses, a descendant of the legendary Grandma Moses.
Katy
Dec 25, 2013
Amy
Oct 19, 2013
Erin
rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2015
Hollin Elizabeth
Mar 30, 2019
Terra
Oct 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Born and raised here, in Eagle Bridge, New York, Will Moses creates paintings that reflect the quiet beauty of this tiny community nestled close to the Vermont border. Will has created a vivid, delightful miniature world, peopled with villagers who have stepped out of the past to charm us with their simple, everyday pastimes.

As a fourth generation member of the renowned Moses family, painting is a