Start by marking “The Mystery Of Mrs. Christie” as Want to Read:
The Mystery Of Mrs. Christie

The Mystery Of Mrs. Christie

Marie Benedict, the beloved New York Times bestselling author of The Only Woman in the Room, uncovers the untold story of Agatha Christie’s mysterious eleven day disappearance.

In December 1926, Agatha Christie goes missing. Investigators find her empty car on the edge of a deep, gloomy pond, the only clues some tire tracks nearby and a fur coat left in the car—strange for
Expected publication: December 29th 2020 by Sourcebooks Landmark

Me: *pounds fist on table*
Me: *more screaming*
Miranda Reads
description

September Tier List Video is up! Check it out for all my September reads!
The Written Review
description

But really, how dangerous could one dance be?
Agatha Christie was a young woman when she met, fell in love with and eventually married Archibald Christie. It was a whirlwind magical romance and Agatha was over the moon.
"You've got to marry me, Agatha. You simply must."
And, at first, her marriage went along beautifully...but as the months go by, Archibald began acting more...and more...
Javier
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t care if it’s written by her, inspired by her or her most famous characters, with her as the main character in the story (see Andrew Wilson’s series) or it’s just her name on the title. I will read anything Agatha Christie. It’s not for nothing that she’s my favorite writer ever.

The mystery the title of this books refers to is her much talked about disappearance during 11 days in December 1926, which unleashed an unprecedented manhunt to find her. When she reappeared she claimed amnesia,
Jayme
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it

Thank you to Edelweiss and Sourcebooks Landmark for the ARC of The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict. I am a huge fan of Agatha Christie mysteries and enjoyed reading more about her personal life.

Agatha Christie has disappeared! Colonel Archibald Christie learns that his wife has gone missing, and an investigation into her whereabouts is imminent. When the police and investigators come up empty handed, questions surrounding the colonel’s involvement come into question. Where has Mrs. Ch
Gary
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read all the Agatha Christie novels and always enjoyed anything relating to her so this book was always going to interest me. In December 1926, Agatha Christie went missing, causing a real life mystery. Investigators found an empty car on the edge of a pond with tire marks close by and her fur coat left in the car. Her disappearance a mystery and her husband and daughter were clueless to her whereabouts. A manhunt was launched only for Agatha Christie to reappear eleven days later claimin ...more
Heidi
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ever since reading Agatha Christie’s autobiography as a teen, after having binge-read my way through all her books, I have been intrigued by the real life mystery surrounding her ten-day disappearance in 1926, a secret she has taken to the grave with her. I was therefore very excited to read Marie Benedict’s interpretation of what could have happened, and I must say that I liked this version very much!

The handsome and yet stiff-upper-lip arrogant Archibald Christie did little to endear himself t
Camille Maio
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Marie Benedict. Agatha Christie is my very favorite author, so I was excited to read this take on the mystery behind her eleven day disappearance. Benedict chose to capitalize on Christie's incredible puzzling skills to craft a believable tale that, in the absence of the real story, makes it easy to believe this one. Can't wait to see what this author has up her sleeve next!
Darla
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A spectacular mystery about a puzzling episode in the life of the revered Agatha Christie. It is December, 1926. Agatha and her husband are spending a weekend apart and she simply vanishes. Marie Benedict takes us back in time to the moment of their first meeting and then forward to the present crisis. A second timeline covers the search from Archibald Christie's perspective, beginning with a letter that Agatha left him. What is the truth behind her disappearance? Was there foul play after the f ...more
Natalie
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was absolutely engaged by this book. It is well written and retells the story of the disappearance of Agatha Christie that became infamous and forever connected with her name.

I understood her motives for plotting this disappearance after learning that her husband was abandoning her for another woman. Every woman who reads this will understand her rage at both his perfidy and insistence at protecting his mistress, at the risk of Agatha ruining her own reputation.

His lack of respect for her ge
Marisa
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best things about historical fiction is that you want to learn more about the subject. Marie Benedict brought Agatha Christie to life for me. I loved this story and was fully invested in finding her and wow the twists!
KC
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Famed mystery writer, Agatha Christie, disappears in December of 1929, and then remarkably returns eleven days later to her husband and young daughter. Amnesia was her excuse for not contacting her family, but like in all Christie's novels, nothing is what it seems. Marie Benedict plunges deep into one of the biggest mysteries of the 20th century. For those who enjoy Paula McLain and Fiona Davis.
Jo Beth
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an EARC from the publisher.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which intelligently gives us one reason why
Agatha Christie disappeared for a short while all those years ago. And it’s a very good one. Ms. Benedict really did her research proud in coming up with this solution. I don’t dare say more, but if you’re an Agatha Christie fan you must read this book!
Janet
When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. And it is way too hot to go outside, so why not sit in from of the blasting a/c and read and review books?? BTW - stay home and save lives!!!!!!!! No tan is worth dying for.

I requested and re
Annette
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2020
I’ve only read a few books by Agatha Christie and I had read about her actual disappearance. This book was clever and well thought out. I really enjoyed it and loved the ending.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for granting my wish to read this book
Wendy
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a die-hard fan of Agatha Christie, this historical mystery about the author herself going missing and reappearing with amnesia was a total hit for me. Realistic, well-written and absolutely thrilling.

I'm afraid to drop any hints beyond this general picture because I'm afraid of killing it for everyone with spoilers, but let's just say that Agatha's husband WAS KEY to the plot! I can't say anything more. But this story had me totally hooked, and I did not expect any of the twists in the slight
Tracie
Oct 04, 2020 rated it liked it
In December of 1926 the author Agatha Christie disappeared. Her car was found by a lake and the police and regular citizens searched for her for over a week. When she was found it was claimed she suffered from amnesia. later her marriage ended in divorce and she remarried and became an even more prolific mystery writer. There have been at least two films that suggested what Ms. Christie did during her disappearance and Ms. Benedict gives an entertaining version of what might have happened. She g ...more
Linda Quinn
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Marie Benedict once again takes a well-loved historical figure and creates a page-turning novel based on a part of their life. In The Mystery of Mrs. Christie she focuses on the 11-day period in 1926 in which Christie disappeared and emerged at the end with claims of amnesia. While in reality no one knows for sure what happened, Benedict creates a highly plausible story that is a wonderful explanation for the episode.
Cheri
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This is the story of the disappearance of Agatha Christie by a wonderful writer of historical fiction. Agatha is seen as a woman who wants to please her husband, mother, and everyone else. Her first husband, Archie, is damaged and self-centered. I really liked this novel.

Thank you to #netgalley for the advanced reader copy.
Meghan
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from SOURCEBOOKS Landmark in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Being a fan of Agatha Christie not only for her work but the hardships she took to become one of the greatest mystery writers of all time then, reading The Mystery of Mrs. Christie was a breath of fresh air. I love the approach Marie Benedict took is compiling the plot of the story. Starting out as a young woman and getting married to
Linda Zagon
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Linda’s Book Obsession Reviews “The Mystery of Mrs. Christie” by Marie Benedict, Source Books Landing, 12/29/20

Wow! Marie Benedict, the author of “The Mystery of Mrs. Christie” has written an intriguing, captivating, and thought-provoking novel. The genres for this novel are historical fiction and fiction, with some mystery and suspense. The timeline for this story is around December 1926, when Agatha Christie really went missing for eleven days, and also goes to the past when it pertains to the
Celia
If you have read any of Agatha Christie's novels, love historical fiction or love a good mystery, YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK.

Even if you have not read a Christie, you certainly have heard of her. But how many of you know that she was missing for 11 days in December of 1926? Benedict has surmised a story line behind that disappearance and done a superb job.

The story is written in two time lines. The first: Agatha from about the age of 16 when she meets Archibald Christie, marries him and starts her
Barbara
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Marie Benedict has crafted a very good fictional explanation for the brief disappearance of mystery writer Agatha Christie. Both leading characters, Agatha and Archie Christie, are fully developed in their personalities and their lifestyles. The book alternates chapters, told from both husband and wife point-of-views for most of the novel. Archie is quite villainous, while Agatha emerges as a strong, self-sufficient woman despite her cheating, loathsome husband. I almost felt like a marriage cou ...more
Chris Markley
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Marie Benedict has done it again, captivate readers with the story of a famous woman that isn't known. This is the story of Agatha Christie's marriage and her mysterious disappearance. Readers are drawn into the story of how Agatha Christie became a famous mystery writer and into the greatest mystery of her life, her disappearance. What happened when she was missing? Where was she?

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an arc for my honest review.
Nancy
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the structure of the novel. The chapters alternate between Agatha's story beginning when she met her future husband, and that of her husband in the days after Agatha's disappearance. Both stories progress in time until converging at the end, creating some suspense and moving the story forward. The characters were well-drawn and seemed authentic. I liked the twist/revelation at the end as well. Thanks to publisher Sourcebooks and Edelweiss for the ARC.
Britt Hart
Nov 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I could not WAIT to start this book, as I adore anything Agatha Christie. The book is well written, and I love how short the chapters are, however, I feel it could’ve been a little shorter and had the same effect. It also did tend to drone along at times, make it very difficult to stay engaged and that’s no fault of the subject matter. Thank you to Netgalley and Sourcebooks Landmark for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Tana
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC Fun backstory of Agatha Christie. Flipped between 2 time periods and what perhaps made her the mystery writer she was. Fun read especially if you like Christie mysteries.
Robin
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Great fictional account of Agatha Christie's 11-day disappearance. Benedict does a fabulous job of fleshing out the when, why, and how she did it along with a few twists along the way.

More thorough review to come.

Thanks to the publisher for the advance digital reading copy.
Stefanie Kellum
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
*I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via NetGalley.
Ashley
Jul 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
I’m a fan of anything she writes... can’t wait!
Sari
Thank you, Sourcebooks and Netgalley, for approving my request to read this.
I really love a good historical fiction that pulls you into painfully human emotions but this book wasn't able to do that. This is a retelling of the disappearance of author Agatha Christie and although the writing in this book takes me back to Christie's style, I wasn't engaged at any point. I love the method of using dual timelines to give the reader some background and pieces of the puzzle, but everything was predicta
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Arctic Fury
  • The Perfect Guests
  • Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
  • Better Luck Next Time
  • Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
  • When We Were Young & Brave
  • Sex and Vanity
  • The Windsor Knot
  • The Night Swim
  • Tsarina
  • Flowers of Darkness: A Novel
  • Marion Lane and the Midnight Murder
  • Unseen (Will Trent, #7)
  • Rodham
Marie Benedict is a lawyer with more than ten years' experience as a litigator at two of the country's premier law firms. She is a magna cum laude graduate of Boston College with a focus in History and Art History, and a cum laude graduate of the Boston University School of Law. While practicing as a lawyer, Marie dreamed of a fantastical job unearthing the hidden historical stories of women -- an ...more

Articles featuring this book