Start by marking “The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)

The Neighbor

(Detective D.D. Warren #3)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  32,518 ratings  ·  2,363 reviews
From a master of suspense comes a chilling new novel that explores the dangers lurking closer than you think. Because even in the perfect family, you never know what is going on behind closed doors...

This is what happened...
It was a case guaranteed to spark a media feeding frenzy—a young mother, blond and pretty, disappears without a trace from her South Boston home, leavi
Hardcover, First Edition, 373 pages
Published June 4th 2009 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Neighbor, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
♥Rachel♥
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lisa No, because it's mentioned the "Rachel" would now be 17.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Thrillers
3,505 books — 4,685 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareAn Echo in the Bone by Diana GabaldonBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
Best Books of 2009
1,664 books — 6,956 voters

More lists with this book...

·  32,518 ratings  ·  2,363 reviews

Start your review of The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
Alp
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

This was a good and enjoyable read. It kept me turning page after page to see how things would play out. As a reader, I love the unexpected plot twists that hit me like a train. And this book didn't disappoint. The twist ending I didn't see coming in this one was totally mind-blowing. It was clever!

Recommended for all mystery/thriller fans.
Patti
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
♥Rachel♥
4.5 Stars

It's been several years since I read this book and didn't remember all the details, but the story was sooo good! Jason Jones comes home to find his twenty-three year-old wife missing, while their four year old daughter is tucked away in bed, sleeping. As the search begins we discover that Jason and Sandra aren't the picture perfect couple/family that they appear to be, but the secrets aren't as straightforward as you'd think. As the hours tick by and the suspect list grows, with Jason's
Jonetta
Sandra Jones, a married middle school teacher and mother of a four-year old daughter, disappears in the middle of the night while her husband, Jason, is working on an assignment. He’s a reporter and returns home to find his wife missing and his sleeping daughter alone. Sergeant D. D. Warren is asked to help with the case and quickly determines that something is “off” with this family. Meanwhile, one of the neighbors has critical information but is reluctant to come forward because of his own per ...more
☮Karen
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
#3 in this series may just be my favorite so far. Sergeant D.D. Warren (she does NOT like being called Detective even though that is the name of the series) finally becomes a major character, and quite a character she is.

Although I figured out at least two of the mysteries on my own, there were plenty others to resolve and surprise me. Some I felt uncomfortable with. The neighbor being one of them, and Sandra's story the other.

On to #4.
Jean
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A husband arrives home late one night to discover that his wife is missing and their four-year-old daughter tucked safely in her bed. He doesn’t call the police for several hours, a failing which immediately raises red flags for Sergeant D.D. Warren. As Warren and Detective Brian Miller go through the house, D.D. feels that something is off. Something is too perfect. In Lisa Gardner’s third book of her D.D. Warren series, The Neighbor, Gardner takes us through a scenario that definitely is not M ...more
Jim
The third book in the Detective D.D. Warren series and the first where D.D. comes out from Bobby Dodge's shadow and plays a prominent role in the series that bears her name. Finally!

D.D. receives a call from Detective Brian Miller on a crime that is sure to become a media frenzy. Jason Jones comes home from work to find that his wife, Sandra, is missing leaving behind their 4 year old daughter, Clarissa ("Ree"). Sandra is young, blonde, and beautiful. Jason is compared to "McDreamy" from "Grey's
Suzanne
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-donated
My first Lisa Gardner novel, which I was excited to read due to hearing good things from friends. Whilst I enjoyed this one, I wasn't bowled over. This author seems very on top of her research, which was evident in her detail of the horrible world of childhood sexual abuse, I left the story feeling like I knew a lot about the murky area of rehabilitation and parole, and how these offenders are expected to enter programs, and the vigourous expectations of the attendees. This was interesting readi ...more
Bobby Bermea
This strange, awkward little mystery starts off well enough. It's a compelling puzzle, and for a long portion I'm completely invested in finding out what's going to happen and am intrigued by the unusual behavior of several of the characters. But it goes on too long without any answers and after a while I'm wondering if the writer has dug herself too big of a hole that she's not going to be able to get out of elegantly.

Sure enough, when the the question we've been waiting to have answered is fi
Fred
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
The best state where any crime is solved is the one I went to school, Boston, Massachusetts.

Sgt. D.D. Warren, a Massachusetts police detective, returns to Boston’s “colorful history”. It’s new expensive condos for high income yuppies.... seeing the “bright blue Atlantic ocean” on the North side of Boston.

D.D. mission starts in run down, South Boston, the rows of overcrowded triple decker apartments, poorer section, lots of people, jams in your windows for protection.

D.D. assigned to find a young
Brenda
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Brenda by: Michael
Wow! Detective DD Warren has her hands full with this one! Sandra, her cute little 4 yo daughter Ree and husband Jason, live a seemingly perfect life together in a cosy little bungalow. Jason is a reporter for the local paper, while Sandra is a school teacher. Between them they look after Ree, with no other family around at all.

Then Sandra vanishes without trace, while Jason is at work one night, and the only person in the house when he arrives home from work at 2am, is little Ree, sound asleep
Jaimemichele
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Reading this book was like having a 300+ page long conversation with an annoying friend who hints at something she knows that you don't know and is just DYING for you to ask, but you don't. So many overt allusions to "what happened on the vacation" blah blah blah that I really stopped caring to find out. If not for that little percentage bar on the bottom of my kindle mocking my struggle to finish this book, I would have given in to my disinterest and stopped about 1/4 of the way through.
♥ Sandi ❣

Book number three in the Detective D.D. Warren series. Good plot, interesting mystery. Easy to read. More of Warren in this book, but less of Bobby Dodge, the side kick - sadly he barely made an appearance. Many twists and turns, some mysteries easy to solve, others a bit more concealed.
On to book #4 Live to Tell.
Jammin Jenny
I really enjoyed this third book in the Detective DD Warren series. In this story, a housewife from a troubled childhood disappears during the night. The police suspect her husband, but there are other people around that could have done it. Great storytelling and character development.
Megan
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Michael
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-books
Wow what a great read and another classic from Lisa Gardner Detective D.D. Warren series. The story of a seemingly perfect family, the loving couple Sandra and Jason Jones and their four year old daughter Clarissa. Everything seemed fine with both parents working and with plenty of money life was good till one night Jason comes home from work to find his wife is gone.

Once D.D. Warren and her partner Brian Miller get the call for the case it seem's obvious Jason has killed his wife as he seems mo
Heather
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A clever and extremely entertaining read! This one slapped me across the face a few times with all of the crazy twists. This series is just fantastic!
Carol
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Neighbor by Lisa Gardner on the recommendation of bas bleu. We often enjoy the same books and have had lively conversations about some over the years. I love that we can talk about books and respect each other's opinions.
Neighbor grabbed me from the get go with it's thought provoking first sentence.

"Ive always wondered what people felt in the final hours of their lives".

Neighbor is a psychological thriller with lots of great characters with brains to pick and analyze. Tension build
Robin
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, suspense
Beautiful school teacher Sandra Jones makes supper for her four-year-old daughter, gives her a bath, puts her to bed, and then disappears. Her husband comes home from work to find Sandra gone. Jason claims his wife would never leave their daughter unprotected in the house alone. Jason is not cooperating with the police. He will not let them see the family computer. He will not let them question his daughter. Sgt. D.D. Warren believes Jason killed his wife, but he isn't their only suspect. The ne ...more
Faye
First read: August 2010
Re-read: January 2018
Rating: 5/5 stars, best of 2018

The plot: an attractive young mother vanishes from her home one night while her husband is at work, leaving her young daughter tucked up in bed and no signs of foul play aside from a smashed bedroom lamp. Sergeant DD Warren is called in to investigate and discovers there is something sinister going on in this outwardly perfect little family.

The Neighbour was my first introduction to this series almost eight years ago when
Jenni Boyd
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars*
The story begins with: 'I’ve always wondered what people felt in the final few hours of their lives. Did they know something terrible was about to occur? Sense imminent tragedy, hold their loved ones close? Or is it something that just happens?'

Lisa had my attention, and the further I read into the book I found it hard to put down. Both the husband Jason, and the missing wife Sandy had secrets, subtle hints were revealed as to what they might be, which kept me turning the pages, as I h
Larry Bassett
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is my third Lisa Gardner book in a row. And it is also the third straight book that includes plenty of suspense mixed with many unlikely events that strain credibility. I have been captivated evidently by this series that undoubtedly began its life in startling covers on grocery store book racks. This book is part of the Detective D. D. Warren Series, a series notable for the fact that Detective Warren plays almost no role in the first two books and has a relatively minor role in this third ...more
Monika Sadowski
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Lisa Gardner.
Tara (bizzeereading)
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good mystery and great twists
Recommended to Tara (bizzeereading) by: no one
Oh my goodness, this book had me guessing till the end. I could not put it down. Fantastic story.

This is the third book in the Detective D.D. Warren series. And my first time reading Lisa Gardner. Lately, I've always said that I wouldn't start a book in the middle of the series, always from the beginning but I had to read this. lol Glad I did. It was in the third person and not a lot of point of view from D.D. And I didn't get that much insight into who she was as a cop. Some I did but not much
Teresa
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well since I pretty much devoured this book, couldn't put it down, both read and listened to it whenever I can... that pretty much sums up a 5 star for me. This is where the series really took off for me. There were so many different pieces, angles, that I couldn't quite put together. I had ideas, but it all kept me guessing. Then I loved the way it brilliantly all tied to a previous book from Lisa's other series. My mood lately has been trending toward mystery and suspense and this completely f ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
I couldn't put this book down.......from the first page, it grabbed me....

Mystery, tension-filled with twists and turns and I was stunned at the end , when all is revealed.....bang....wow.....never even guessed or had a clue who the baddies where!!!!

I loved this author's writing style....you get so engrossed in the plot and characters that gets you totally immersed.

Stacy
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down!
Lindsey Gandhi
Lisa Gardner, you know how to write a thriller!!!!! Man, this series just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Siobhan
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Neighbor is the third book in Lisa Gardner’s D.D. Warren series, and it was another fabulous read. Moreover, after my complaints about Bobby Dodge stealing the show, with this one it really is D.D. Warren leading things. We do get an appearance from Bobby to see what is going on in his life, but this one is very much D.D. Warren handling the case.

Although I enjoyed the first two books, I’m willing to call this one my favourite of the first three. Even though I worked out some of the details,
Judy D Collins
I love LISA GARDNER and the DD Warren series is one of my favorites. It seems all I ever read are new releases but wanted to take time out to go back and read some older books.

Since I have read and devoured the newer latest books in the series, I wanted to go back and read/listen to the earlier books. I highly recommend her audiobooks. From tension, plot, suspense, thrills, action, and great characters - it has it all!

I could not put THE NEIGHBOR down! I was glued to my AirPods all day to find
Title? 4 80 May 25, 2013 08:11PM

• The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • Fear Nothing: (Detective D. D. Warren) by Lisa Gardner -- Sidekick
  • Maggie's Man (Family Secrets, #1)
  • Broken (Will Trent, #4)
  • Unseen (Will Trent, #7)
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Fallen (Will Trent, #5)
  • Undone (Will Trent, #3)
  • Criminal (Will Trent, #6)
  • Faithless (Grant County, #5)
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
  • Triptych (Will Trent, #1)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Snatched (Will Trent, #5.5)
  • MacNamara's Woman (Family Secrets, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
Lisa Gardner is a #1 New York Times bestselling crime novelist. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in police procedure and twisted minds into a streak of twenty-plus thrillers. Her latest, BEFORE SHE DISAPPEARED, is available January 19, 2021.

Meet Frankie Elkin, an everyday, average person who specializes in finding missing people. When the locals have given up, when t

Detective D.D. Warren (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)
  • Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • Love You More (Tessa Leoni, #1; Detective D.D. Warren, #5)
  • Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6)
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • Find Her (Detective D.D. Warren, #8)
  • Look For Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #9)
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)