Start by marking “Axle Annie” as Want to Read:
Axle Annie

Axle Annie

School bus driver Axle Annie is so good at getting her bus up Burskyville's snowiest hill that the schools never get a snow day -- and that's why evil driver Shifty Rhodes plots to stop Axle Annie in her tracks!
Published September 1st 1999 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about Axle Annie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Axle Annie

Volkert
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
"Axle Annie" was an overwhelming read-aloud hit with a class of second graders in my elementary school library. Tedd Arnold's comical illustrations are the perfect complement to Robin Pulver's tall tale about a dedicated school bus driver who can always make it up Tiger Hill, no matter how snowy it may get.

When the superintendent asks her on blizzard mornings if she can make it up Tiger Hill, Axle Annie always replies, "Do snowplows plow? Do tow trucks tow? Are school buses yellow? Of course I c
Susan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, no-no-no, storybook
I disliked this book. Really:

>how are these "the luckiest kids" if they never get a snow day?
-one of the upsides of plodding through cold, snowy days is that sometimes school closes due to that weather

>why are the adults going out on such a day?

>Do these parents not care about their kids being out in that weather?
-maybe Axle Annie can drive it but Shifty Rhodes could not, and his bus was full of children too

>How does the superintendent think that the teachers and support staff are g
Kaylee
I enjoyed reading this book in my practicum class. The students really enjoy reading this book because it becomes predictable and they are able to read aloud with the teacher. I saw this book used to discuss protagonists and antagonists, especially kindness and helping others.
Angieleigh
I was amused that a few days after we returned from our vacation at Disney World that my nephew would choose a book that's about snow!

Axle Annie is beloved by all of the town as she's not afraid to go out during a snowstorm, no matter how blizzard-y it is, to get kids, and stranded motorists, and take them to school (or work!).

When one of the school's grumpiest bus drivers meets the local ski resort owner whose business isn't doing so great, the two hatch a plan to stop Annie in her tracks, and
Allyson Smith
This book is about a school bus driver named Axle Annie in the small town of Burskyville. All the kids love her because she makes riding the school bus fun. Whenever there is a snow storm the superintendent calls her to see if she can drive her bus up Tiger Hill, the toughest hill in town. One of the other bus drivers, Shifty Rhodes, hates that there are never snow days and hates Axle Annie. When Annie finally gets to the hill she almost does not make it over, but all of the people she has given ...more
Lisa
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With a snowstorm raging outside our school, I read this book to 2nd and 3rd graders today. They loved answering Axle Annie's rhetorical question responses to the superintendent and very much enjoyed the story about this fearless and determined bus driver. It gave us an opportunity to talk about the seriousness of the job our bus driver's do and how dedicated and caring they are to safeguard our children each morning and afternoon, especially on these days that Axle Annie loves so much. This book ...more
Jennifer Heise
I was amused by this story of an unbeatable bus driver, who always makes it up the steepest hills in the worst weather, and the grumpy colleague who partners with a ski resort owner to try and defeat her, because her skill means that school *never* closes for snow. She's a great heroine even though I have my doubts about the practicality of her daredevil driving!
However, I have to admit that my firstgrader, who does ride a bus, had no interest in this book.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Axle Annie is a relentlessly cheerful school bus driver who always manages to get the school bus up Tiger Hill the biggest hill in town. Shifty Rhodes is a lazy bus driver who always wants a snow day, but never gets one because of Axle Annie. He tries to thwart her, but of course doesn't. I found it all a bit ho-hum
Shannon
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read, childrens
Ok - there will be several books that I'll be reading now thanks to my kids goals in school. But, this book (and the other in the series) is truly adorable. I love the illustrations. But, the story is really great. If I can just keep finding books like this to help encourage my kids to reaching their reading goals - we will both be happy.
Heidi
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, picture
Cute story about a school bus driver who was always ready to face the huge hill on her bus route even when a blizzard came, despite some trickery by some other drivers who always want school to shut down. My kids always love Tedd Arnold's fun illustrations.
Zahra
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
axle annie is about a bus driver named axle annie who could ALWAYS get up the steepest hill of all...tiger hill!but grump a grumpy bus driver wanted to stop her.i learned that to never have hatred on someone for someday you will be sorry.!
Sara
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A great read-aloud book with colorful illustrations and silly school bus adventures
Tori
2009- Not sure the preschoolers I read this too actually ""got"" it.
Keeko
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Super cute and what a treat to read a children's book where the author and illustrator understand kids. Two Thumbs up!
Beth
Jul 14, 2012 added it
Shelves: children-s
With Axel Annie, school never needs to be closed even on the snowiest days because she will make it. Students are happy to have her as a bus driver.
Reepacheep
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Reepacheep by: my youngest son
This story was quite a pleasure to read and the illustrations quite well done. The way it is written lends itself very nicely to reading out loud to the kiddos.
Christine
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Tedd Arnold's illustrations add to this humorous story about a bus driver who can drive in any snow storm.
Alisha
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun to read, fun to discuss with the kids. Appropriate level of villains plus suspense.
The Brothers
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bus, snow, driving
Fun little story about a bus driver making it through the snow.

Great illustrations by Tedd Arnold.
Beverly
Shelves: 2013-list, pb
A great read-aloud book!
Kati
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute -- great for little kids as it has several repeating lines throughout.
Karen
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Ok story--I'm not sure students will connect with main character of Axle Annie, the bus driver who never allows school to be cancelled due to snow.
Dawn