Start by marking “The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)

The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  807 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
With his novel CITY OF FIRE, Robert Ellis debuted a dynamic new character in Los Angeles detective Lena Gamble, but also captured a vivid picture of the city of Los Angeles. Readers and critics made CITY OF FIRE an instant phenomenon, as the book became a Los Angeles Times bestseller and was named a top summer read by People Magazine, USA Today, and The New York Times.

Published February 3rd 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Witness

Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it

In this second book in the series Los Angeles robbery-homicide detective Lena Gamble is on the outs for embarrassing her bosses, but is nevertheless assigned the case when the chopped up body of an unidentified young woman is found in a dumpster. The victim is found to be Jennifer McBride, a hooker who may have been blackmailing one of her clients.

Lena's job is made more difficult by police higher ups who are interfering with her investigation and bugging her home, apparently in an attempt to ho
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Erste Sätze
Mit einem entnervten Aufstöhnen warf sie einen Blick auf den Bildschirm ihres iPhones. Es war Punkt 22:17, genau drei Minuten und einundzwanzig Sekunden, seit sie das letzte Mal nachgesehen hatte.

Ihre Kollegen feiern Lena Gamble, Detective bei der Mordkommission von Los Angeles, als Heldin, weil sie einen brutalen Frauenmord aufgeklärt hat. Aber bei ihrem Chef ist sie wegen ihrer unkonventionellen Art in Ungnade gefallen. Deshalb überträgt man ihr einen hoffnungslosen Fall:
When someone has ascended to the top of a profession, others are compared to them, some deservidly, some not.

With "The Lost Witness," Robert Ellis has been compared to Michael Connelly, and I believe that the comparison is correct.

In this story, Lena Gamble, L.A. detective is given a case of a dismembered body found in a dumpster. Lena is disliked by her superiors because of a previous case where a police officer was involved. The result was that for the last six months, Lena has been doing admi
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cop and mystery fans
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2009
This is a diabolical story with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing all through the book. Just when you think you have it all figured out the author pulls another trick out of his ass. Nevertheless, everything is consistent. Lena Gamble is a cop investigating the murder of a girl who was dismembered. As she tries to find out who killed the girl, she finds herself thwarted by big money interests and by the police that she is working for but she never stops poking around and we follow the ...more
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Lena is a homicide detective whose captain doesn't like her because she showed him up. Why does this always seem to happen? She is handed a murder case that she suspects was given to her because it's unsolvable and she will look bad. There are lots of twists and turns but she solves the case with a couple of weird twists. Not a bad book, but I think it could have been improved with better editing.
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lena Gamble my new favorite Detective

I just finished books 1 and 2 of the series and as soon as I'm done with this review I'll buy the third. Ellis keeps the action and suspense in overdrive from start to finish with an intelligent plot and interesting characters. He knows how to write women, Lena is believable.
Chuck Robbins
Hello. The story was an interesting read. I did not appreciate Mr. Ellis interjecting his personal climate change beliefs. If they were actually part of the plot, OK. But they were gratuitous.

I will be skeptical of reading any future books.
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: series-2-prime
Ok as a "Guess Who" drama, who 'really' did it, who's a friend or foe, a brain-teaser. The writing is cheesy, the police chief is camp and so many twists, traitors & double crosses it's hard to keep up.
Pamela Mize
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

He goes into her 3motions while solving the crime. The people around her are also plotting As well and it keeps the story line going
Lisa Doyle
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

This series is turning out to be most enjoyable. Anyone who loves crime novels should read Roger Ellis. His books are truly gripping. Can't put it down!
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
It has been a long time indeed, since I last completed a novel. It’s just that I couldn’t get enough time to do so. Anyways I was seriously missing out the fun of critiquing a book for you, imaginary reader, so that I can impose my viewpoints down your gut and make you dance to my tune!!

Jokes apart, the book that I have recently read was indeed 100% pure and refined pleasure. I was taken to a helluva of a ride by Robert Ellis in his crime blockbuster ‘The Lost Witness’.

I think I might have told
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-reads

Disclaimer: This is not really my "genre," per se.

That said, I love a good story, and this has many elements of a good story: a grisly crime, a tough female detective who may succeed despite the corrupt members of her own squad, sex, money, twists and turns aplenty, and other stuff. That's right, stuff.

I listened to this in my car, and I stayed awake the entire time -- which was good, because I was also driving. There were a few white knuckle-on-the-steering wheel
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When her last case turned into a media frenzy, Detective Lena Gamble ended up embarrassing her chief. It didn’t seem to matter that she’d caught the killer; higher-ups were still angry and upset about the way it all went down. So her chief punished her by keeping her chained to a desk for eight months, tossing her cases of little interest.

Then, out of the blue, Lena gets assigned to a murder investigation. At first, she’s thrilled—until she checks out the scene, where a young woman was found cho
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Better than average book so why my average rating?

I listened to the book and was totally entertained, got to love a book with awesome twists, and this book has more than its fair share. But like the first book I cannot dig its reality. Meaning too many things don’t make sense but are still great theatre. When I read Jack Reacher, (and I imagine most who have read this book know Jack) I expect reality to bend as Jack is a larger than life character and the un-reality is in context with the Jack R
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Lena Gamble is an LA detective assigned to a case she feels is punishment for her handling of a prior case. A case in which she caught the killer but alienated some of the higher-ups in doing so. This case contains no clues, no witnesses, and an unidentified chopped up body in a dumpster. She feels trapped by her superiors and by the media, who follows this case very closely. The plot is complicated and has twists I did not see coming. The truth outs in the end.
Mark Love
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I stumbled upon this novel at a used book store. After reading the back cover blurb and a page or two, I was hooked and knew it was going to be a good ride.

Ellis sets a fast pace from the start and it never slows down. His main character, Lena Gamble, is a take charge detective, trying to solve a gruesome murder in the days leading up to Christmas. But this is no simple murder and with each step she takes, Gamble is faced with tough choices and more confusion.

Ellis throws more curves at you than
Barbara Elsborg
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think I must have read this one before because I sort of remembered as I was reading. Annoying because I bought it after having enjoyed one of his others. It was still a great read. I love books that twist and turn and take you up alleys only to lead you to a blind end and then throw everything you thought on its head. I love them when they have a satisfactory conclusion and this did. Lena is a brilliant protagonist and I was in her skin as she battled to find the truth and save her bacon! Tru ...more
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
I personally LOVE police novels, and I love even more police novels with a female protagonist, so of course I enjoyed this one. Ellis main character is Lena Gamble, somewhat on the outs with her bosses (a la Harry Bosch) and saddled with a nearly impossible case. She must discover the identity of a dismembered victim, a task made especially difficult as the victim seems to have assumed a different identity. Solid police detail, good central character, and the story moves right along. If you like ...more
Moon Yaa
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
clever.a very good one detective story.personally, i never thought the ending will be end like that. even if u tried your best to predict how the story will end but nahh,far from it. what shocked me the most is the way,the author related everything into one and making me believed that it was true and real...but i guessed it wrong. what a shocking twist in the end of story and the best one ever
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love crime drama mysteries. I read this before I read City of Fire. I'm not sure how much it mattered other than knowing the City of Fire didn't end too well. I like the style of the author, the way he introduces new characters at the beginning of chapters had me doing my own investigative work, wondering if I missed something and scanning back in the book searching to see who this person was.
Judy Churchill
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is another good book for a day it's too hot to go outside. It's hard to stop reading once you've gotten into the story. Every minute is action filled with the plot zig zagging just when you think you've figured it out. Way too many bodies to count but a good story.
Wiebke Kuhn
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
The book is using a serial killer as the vehicle to talk about the CIA and its business of bringing drugs from South America into the US to finance its various political interferences. Some interesting stuff, but it drags on a bit.
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A vicious serial killer is on the loose in LA and Lena is on the case. One of her biggest problems though is pressure and interference from the people above her in rank. Pretty graphic crime scenes
Mary Kay
Feb 09, 2010 rated it liked it
A really gritty, gory tale of a butchered body in a dumpster. The case is handed to Detective Lena Gamble in the hopes she will mess it up. The plots twists & turns until you can't figure out who to trust.
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You don't know the whole story until you turn the last page. More than once I actually said OH MY GOD aloud because of the plot twists Ellis throws in. Not sure why he isn't more well-known, he has most best selling crime fiction writers beat hands-down. Instant fan!
Deena Scintilla
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Maggie, Michelle
I've found another new mystery writer! Yea! Enjoyed the reader (CD) & the storyline that had a few surprises altho I did figure out most of them. Still, I am looking forward to reading or listening to more of his work.
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Robert Ellis once again provides a complex fascinating plot that will keep your interest until the last page. Wonderful, well developed characters. I love this Lena Gamble series!

(my second reading)
Gita Sturtevant
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

fab characters plots within plots storyline excellent an absolutely well written novel I could not put down. please keep writing as so far read . 3 and we are err 2 out of three greats.
James Fitzgerald
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I think this was an overrated book that I finished and said to myself did the author really believe the twist and turns in this book was going to make it believable? the beginning was interesting then it just became a waste of reading time. I did not like this book would not recommend it.
USA Geography Cha...: The Lost Witness by Robert Ellis 1 2 Dec 29, 2014 12:08AM
  • The Ripper Gene
  • The Deepest Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #3)
  • Zwarte Piste
  • The Jasmine Trade (Eve Diamond Mystery, #1)
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Alles te verliezen
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Himmel över London
  • No Justice (Michael Sykora #1)
  • Sweet Dreams, Irene (Irene Kelly #2)
  • The Memory Collector (Jo Beckett #2)
  • Paper Woman (A Mystery of the American Revolution, #1)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter #4)
  • The Wild Zone
  • Ruins of War (Mason Collins, #1)
  • Dead Money Run (Lou Malloy Crime, #1)
  • Passion, Power & Sin - Books 1-5
  • Wiped!: Life with a Pint-size Dictator

Robert Ellis is the international bestselling author of Access to Power, The Dead Room, the critically acclaimed Lena Gamble novels, City of Fire, The Lost Witness, and Murder Season, and the Detective Matt Jones series, City of Echoes (2015) and The Love Killings (2016). His novels have been translated into ten languages and selected as top reads by Booklist, Publishers Weekly, National Public Ra

More about Robert Ellis...

Lena Gamble (3 books)
  • City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)
  • Murder Season (Lena Gamble, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
  • The Cabin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bones of Paris (Harris Stuyvesant, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99