Jump to ratings and reviews
Cato is the only true half-human, half-ghost hybrid in existence. He's powerful and unique with two divine powers instead of one.

The United States government believes he is the key to developing a devastating weapon that will give humankind an advantage when war inevitably erupts between the Human Realm and Avilésor, the Ghost Realm.

After being an unwilling test subject in Project Alpha for two years, Cato and the rest of his "lab-family" survive a transport accident to find themselves stranded and powerless in the middle of the wilderness. Hunted every step of the way by ghostly Shadow Guards with supernatural abilities and human Agents desperate to recapture their prisoners, the eight young fugitives are drawn to Cato's hometown where the Rip between Realms connects the worlds.

Cato wants nothing to do with his past, but as his enemies close in, he realizes he's willing to do anything to protect his lab-family . . .

. . . even kidnap the daughter of a ghost hunter and make a dangerous deal to become a mercenary.

Paperback

Published June 6, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sara A. Noë

2 books27 followers
Sara A. Noë is an award-winning author, artist, and photographer. She has had poetry, short fiction, and memoir works featured in various anthologies and journals since 2005, and her poetry is now available in the Indiana Poetry Archives. Notable art achievements include her photograph "Aftermath" published on the cover of Voices Literary Journal in 2018, photograph "Spiraling" awarded Best Still Life in a 2019 juried gallery exhibit, and charcoal artwork "The Raven" displayed in the Uptown Arts District of Michigan City, Indiana.

A Fallen Hero, the first novel in the Chronicles of Avilésor: War of the Realms series, was published in 2018 and has been critically acclaimed by NAM Editorial, The Prairies Book Review, Literary Titan, and Chronicle Focus Editorial, among others. The novel made book reviewer Lauren Gantt's list of Top 10 Favorite Books of 2019 and won the Literary Titan Gold Book Award in 2020.

The series sequel, Phantom's Mask, was released in the summer of 2020 and won the Literary Titan Gold Book Award less than two months after the novel's release.

As an artist, Sara creates her own covers and graphics. Sara lives in a little cottage with her calico cat, Calypso, who has a fondness for chewing pens and being as loud and sassy as possible.

Sara A. Noë can be followed on Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and her official website www.onthecobblestoneroad.com.

For more information on the Chronicles of Avilésor series, check out the website for the book series, run by the author herself: www.chroniclesofavilesor.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
2 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 46 reviews
Profile Image for Zoe L..
390 reviews14 followers
Read
April 22, 2020
This book definitely exceeded all of my expectations, and let’s just say they were quite high after seeing all of the positive reviews about it! I’ve been trying to diversify my reading lately by expanding my genres, and I was really excited that this one seemed a blend of sci-fi and fantasy, which is usually the way to get me most excited for sci-fi (and are usually the ones I love). It was also just so well written that I felt fully immersed in the world.

So, I love books that have ghosts in them. It’s just one of those things that is an instant deal maker for me. And I loved how the ghosts were interwoven into this story and world. Oh, and there’s a ghost realm and I think all books need a ghost realm. So, as you can see there’s a lot of really interesting things in this book to keep the story interesting and amazing as it was.

The only downside to this book is having to wait for the second one. I mean, seriously, you need to check it out and devour it like I did. I mean, it’s not only got such an interesting concept, amazing characters, and great storyline but there’s also my favorite thing ever: world building. So, because of this everything makes sense and that’s what helps draw the story all together.

You can view my full review on my blog! I also post about a lot of different types of books!

Reader | Bookstagrammer | Blogger | Reviewer
@ya.its.lit - https://www.instagram.com/ya.its.lit/
Blog - https://yaitslitblog.wordpress.com/
Profile Image for Teran.
37 reviews2 followers
May 2, 2020
Firstly, I want to thank Sara A. Noe for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I started this book not knowing what to expect. Paranormal fantasy is not typically a genre I reach for when finding books but this book did not disappoint!

Noe does a fantastic job in world building and introducing the reader to an enormous cast of characters without feeling overwhelmed. Readers get to know each and every character to some extent, leaving room to learn more as the series continues.

The story is riddled with corrupt governments, experimentation, and cover-ups. The perfect components to make an engaging, face paced novel. I really enjoyed the familial bond that all of the "lab" siblings had and how they protected one another in an effort to escape the horrors that they faced. Revelations towards the end of the novel really tugged on my heartstrings and made me think upon historical events that had the same cruel experimentations on those considered "not human". I would highly recommend this book/series to every single person! I cannot wait for the release of the second book to continue diving deeper into this world.
Profile Image for abthebooknerd.
247 reviews141 followers
December 15, 2020
A big thank you to Sara and her team for sending me a copy of this book!

This was a super interesting take on the urban fantasy/paranormal genre, which is not something I normally gravitate toward. I liked seeing the dynamics of the world, and Cato's interactions with the other characters. Because everything is so complex, it was a bit difficult to understand the mechanics of the world, and what all was going on at first.

Cato's perspective was interesting, but I did find myself wishing for a bit more relatability and life in his voice. This book also gave me Hellboy vibes. If you loved those movies/comics, I'd suggest checking it out.
Profile Image for Anna.
6 reviews
October 7, 2019
❤❤❤❤❤ Loved it!! I was pulled into the story right away. The pacing had me hooked through the first half, and then by the middle, I couldn't put it down! :)

The author did a fantastic job drawing out the tension. She switched viewpoints frequently, and sometimes the scenes were rather short, but every single one built up the stakes. I especially got excited when different storylines crossed and one group of characters encountered another. There were a lot of characters introduced early on, but once I figured out who was who, there was a moment when everything seemed to click into place. Because of how much was going on in this book, I think I'll want to reread it right before the next one comes out. This one left it on a cliffhanger (sort of...everything was resolved, but there are still plenty of unanswered questions)!

The characters were the ones who stole my heart, but the worldbuilding was impressive too. I especially love how the author used mirages as portals to another world. Every time I see one on the road now I will think of the Ghost Realm!
Profile Image for M.C. Beeler.
Author 2 books37 followers
December 9, 2019
Where do I start? Reviews are always the hardest for me—how could I possibly rant about a book and NOT give away every single plot point?? Cause jeez, this one certainly hits the mark of a great book in my eyes. To sum up the action in a brief sentence (although one sentence fails to give the book justice): Cato and a group of his lab mates (who have been captured for a life of horrible tests—I get vibes from The Darkest Minds a bit in the beginning—good thing though, it’s a great read) escape into the world in a race to escape the government. The plot essentially poses many trials that the lab mates must overcome to protect themselves and ensure they will never return to the lab.

The points I most enjoyed were:
A) The cast of characters—Sara did a fantastic job building each and every arch and allowing the author to slowly fall for each of their unique personalities. I personally found I was most attracted to Kit (I won’t spoil what she is—just read, it’s cute, i swear)
B) The world building—I found as I was reading that Sara’s unique style of storytelling led to an amazing build of the surrounding world. I enjoyed seeing the pieces put into place throughout the chapters. Every scene added to the overall world and it was greatly appreciated by the reader (aka me)

So, thank you, Sara, for allowing me to indulge in your fantastical world! Can’t wait for Book 2 ;)
3 reviews
February 23, 2020
I'm not the best at reviews but here we go!

I have to say, I found another amazing book world i want to live in. I can't think of any issues that I had other than the first time I saw the font first threw me off, but it eventually grew to love it! And if you love paranormal I high suggest this book, it is not jut about ghosts, but how they are viewed in this world that I think makes it the most interesting. I also liked all the different vies that we get. Usually they are only through the main cast of protagonists so it was nice seeing someone from the lab have a POV so we get more about them then we do in other books. And I'm already counting down the days until Phantom's Mask!
December 10, 2019
This book is a game changer. The characters quickly become your best friend and their travels and experiences are beautifully described. There is not a point in this book where I was not wanting more. My only complaint is that the second book is not ready right this moment. But as they say, "All good things come to those who wait."
Profile Image for Nimuë.
2 reviews
November 29, 2019
A Fallen Hero has definately become one of new favorite books to read. With alluring characters and a thrilling story line, I couldn't put it down even for a second! Now I can't wait to read the second book to see where Cato and his friends will go next!
November 12, 2019
This one kept me engaged from start to finish. I really enjoyed the beleaguered adventures of the fugitive, scrappy pack of ‘friends-who-became-family’... and can’t wait for book two!
1 review2 followers
November 27, 2019
A wonderful book filled with compelling characters and amazing imagery to form an incredible story that kept me engrossed until the end. Can't wait for book two!
Profile Image for Erika || BMBookcase.
20 reviews5 followers
October 23, 2019
I loved this book, but I will say it took me a while to really understand the world. Noe creates a world unlike anything I’ve previously read. Because her characters and realm rules didn’t follow any typical tropes, it wasn’t until around page 100 that I felt like I had a good grasp on what exactly I was reading. If you are a fan of world building, this book is perfect for you. Noe completely designed a world from her own mind. There are different types of ghosts and powers that affect the people an inhabitants. There’s multiple sets of POVs depending on what side of the war the characters are on. There is the fugitive’s POV, the agent’s POV, the Phantom Height’s POV, and the Avilesor’s POV. The changing POV can be confusing in the beginning, but it begins to make more sense as they interact with each other.

Noe also created many characters for this novel. Typically, you’ll see 5-6 main characters with some supporting. This book has upwards of 15 characters that all are important and surprisingly have unique personalities. There are no stereotypes in this book. Each person felt real and clearly had their own motives for their actions. Personally, when I read something with multiple POVs, I tend to care more for one than the other and will skim through the POVs I don’t like. I never encountered that with A Fallen Hero. Each perspective added valuable information to the story and kept you on edge. If I’m being honest, I did care way more about what happened to Kit than anyone else in this story, but she’s an adorable little girl who turns into a kitten. How can you not love her?

I feel Noe’s strongest asset as an author is her ability to make you fall in love with her characters. This story for me wasn’t a basic adventure or war novel. I was so invested in the fugitives that I needed to know what happened to them. I needed to know about the twins and how they would turn out. I needed to know if RJ was okay. I have such a deep love for every fugitive and it kept me turning the pages and wanting to read one more chapter. Noe doesn’t give you the resolutions you want all the time (like Cato not having courage to reveal himself), but she does give you small victories and keeps you engaged the entire time.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
November 3, 2019
Cato and his friends are on the run. There is nowhere they can turn to for safety. There is no one they can trust. They are caught in the middle of a war between humanity and the ghostly realm of Avilesor, hunted by both sides, desperately fighting for survival. Cato himself, half-ghost and half-human, may be the key to ending the war. A Fallen Hero is full of action, mystery and suspense, all captured in the lives and choices of interesting characters, for whom things just get worse and worse, as they should in a thriller.

There is a lot going on in this book, and Sara Noe juggles all the competing points-of-view masterfully. Cato, the main character, tells his story in the first person. The stories of the other characters are told in the third person. The more I read the book, the more I appreciated the way these points-of-view transition from scene to scene. On top of this, the book introduces a lot of information about its world, but it’s never overwhelming. There are scenes where the world and the war are discussed, but it never felt like information was being dumped on me as a reader. It’s parceled out in a way that makes sense, through character thoughts and actions, as the reader needs it.

In addition, the author has thought through her world, and describes it in details that work. I can feel the cold and hunger Cato and his friends experience as they escape from Project Alpha. The city they find themselves in feels like a forgotten relic, piles of blown leaves and garbage plastered against abandoned cars. Children who have never experienced the world outside of a laboratory are surprised at the simplest things in nature, like seeing the sun and moon for the first time, and feeling rain falling from the sky. These give the story an authenticity and grounding that a novel about a war with ghosts needs to be believable. Her world of fantasy and science fiction feels real. It’s original, unique, and worth reading.

October 11, 2019
'A Fallen Hero' presents us with a blend of fantasy and sci-fi in which a modern Earth is beset by beings of great power intent on making humanity a race of slaves. To combat this, some human organizations are making every effort to capture these beings so they may be dissected, studied, and ultimately destroyed. This is the tale of a small group of those kidnapped beings' flight from their captors after some small fortune allowed for their escape.

Sara Noe breathes life into her world using a host of lively characters. Each possessing unique motivations, frequent perspective shifts between them allows for a broad view of a complex system where the technology and ingenuity of man is countered by the conjured arms and other supernatural abilities of their new enemies, the kalos. Despite this seemingly distinct division, the main protagonist, Cato, finds himself hunted by both worlds while belonging to neither, as he is one of very few human/kalos hybrids.

Newly freed from their captors' torturous bonds, Cato and the few others who managed to escape with him now seek some semblance of peace in a world torn by war.
Profile Image for T.S..
93 reviews
June 14, 2019
In this stellar debut, the first in Chronicles of Avilésor, War of the Realms series, Noe brings forth an enthralling paranormal story that readers will find it hard to stop reading until the end.

After being an unwilling test subject in Project Alpha, Cato, a human and ghost hybrid, escapes with other test subjects. However, it becomes imperative for the fugitives to take supreme measures to protect themselves as bosses at the experiment facility and ghostly shadow guards want to capture them at any cost for their own sinister motives.

Noe’s excellent plotting and highly engrossing narrative grab hold of readers’ interest from the first page and keep them engrossed. The characterization shines as Noe skillfully takes readers into the intriguing supernatural world as Cato and his lab family make their harrowing escape. A superb debut.

Highly recommended!
October 3, 2019
This was such a thrilling book to read! The suspense is constant! This book is told from multiple POVs and while Multi POVS are usually hard to follow for me, this author executed it SO PERFECTLY! Each character's POC narration had its own unique voice and style which really made me feel like I was in these characters' heads; there is nothing one-dimensional our generic about these characters! They are all very real, very unique people. The worldbuilding is layered and complex. I like how since the characters had been held in a government facility and aren't familiar with this world yet, everything is new to them at the same time it's new to the reader, and learning alongside these fugitives is a lot of fun! Definitely recommend this book and I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the sequel!!!
127 reviews2 followers
February 8, 2020
Let me just start off by telling you that my typical genre for books is crime, mystery, thrillers, suspense. This book definitely falls into the sci-fi, fantasy genre with suspense as well. Sara has a remarkable imagination, and creates a world that is unlike any other. Her characters will find their way into your heart, whether they are heroes or villains. Although it is out of my typical genre of books, I am so glad that I picked this one up! Book 2 comes out in 2020 and I am on the edge of my seat waiting for it to be released! I guess I'm just going to have to read this one again in the meantime! I am definitely hooked!
Profile Image for Lauren.
307 reviews26 followers
March 2, 2021
4.5 // 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the next one! The world was interesting, the plot compelling, and the characters were by far the best part of the book. I love me a good found family and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Full review here
December 26, 2019
Great read with exciting characters. I can't wait for to the second book of the chronicle. Soooo, hurry Miss Noe!
June 20, 2020
I would strongly recommend the book A Fallen Hero. Our book club just finished this book, and the discussions sparked by the strong development of the characters and the creative plot twists made for great conversations. We connected deeply with the characters (be them human or ghosts) and can't wait for the second book to be released to continue the adventure. The author has a great talent for making the readers feel and see the story as it unfolds. This book will forever change how you look at some parts of our world.
Profile Image for Sara Houser.
133 reviews
February 11, 2020
My favorite part is talking about how much I love a book and I loved a fallen hero. This review is late but have no fear I’m here now. So let’s review what this book is about:

Short version: Cato, axel, kit, the twins( fin and Reese), Jay, RC, and Ash are on the run from THEM ( the evil scientists I thought). They run into obstacles along the way but have managed to make it to Catos home town and he knows that this is going to be rough because he knows he wasn’t welcome there. The twins became deathly ill and bartered with the humans, you get vivian back (the daughter to the head ghost hunter) once you heal our brothers the twins.

While the humans are healing the twins they devise a plan to barter back, they coax the ghosts to stay and help them. If they help them the humans won’t turn them in to the evil scientists. One thing I forgot to mention is that there is a huge ghost rip that has taken its home in catos home town and the ghosts are torn between staying in the human world or going to the ghost realm.....

Yes that’s it because the story will be continued..... ugh cliff hangers just suck. So anyhow now here are my thoughts first I want to talk about the characters.
First things first, there was a ton of characters in this book. Like a lot of characters to try and remember who they were. Usually a book will have two or four Now I understand that since there were so many characters there weren’t many back stories because if each one did this book probably would have been as big as war and peace. Now even though I understand that I still wished there were a few backstories for some of these characters, Cato had a little bit of a backstory in the prologue but just sad the rest didn’t. Cato being the main character ( or I think he is) I found myself following and loving Jay. He is tough but loves and protects his family and won’t let anyone or anything tear them apart. Axel is faithful but wild. Ash and RC are kinda just along for the ride but the twins who were born in the facility and never seen the outside were both amazed and perplexed about everything they seen. I love the twins, they are so innocent but not at the same time.

A fallen hero grabbed me from the beginning and held me till the end. I loved the world that Sarah created and how she was able to capture each character. I can NOT wait for the second book I have to know how they wage with the humans and if they meet or go into the rip..... ugh there is just so much I want to know but even so I must wait.
Profile Image for Plum Report (Kimberly).
63 reviews6 followers
January 1, 2020
I'd first like to thank Sara A Noe for sending me a copy of her debut novel A Fallen Hero to read in exchange for an honest review.

If Goodreads would allow it, I'd give this story a 4.5 out of 5 stars. I was impressed with the story quality and character development from this multi-POV story. Every character was distinct and memorable throughout the story which helped enhance the world building and story flow.

There are two conflicts within this story. One conflict gets resolved by the end but the other conflict leads us (the readers) into book two. Was I a little disappointed in the ending...maybe a smidge...but only because I'm impatient and eager for that one particular wow moment {I won't say specifics bc I don't want to spoil} but I'm definitely drawn in and looking forward to the next book in this series.

The ghost/paranormal elements within this world aren't like anything I've read before. The overlapping realms and conflict between the two realms intrigued and hooked me. There's so much Sara could do going forward with the world she's created.

Full review on the Plum Report coming soon!!
Profile Image for Kayla Ware.
17 reviews6 followers
October 7, 2019
​In this thrilling adventure, A Fallen Hero blurs the line between science-fiction and fantasy, adding paranormal elements and beings into a war-torn world. In the first novel of the War Of The Realms series, author Sara A. Noë introduces us to a diverse set of characters, following multiple perspectives and viewpoints where the differentiation between good and evil is far from being black and white.

Cato and his surrogate "lab-family" have escaped a government facility where they were being held captive for genetic experimentation and face many obstacles while on the run, making some truly shocking choices in an attempt to protect themselves and the ones they love. Noë’s tactful narrative and deeply layered plotting offer a unique world that readers can fully immerse themselves in to walk alongside heroes and villains. Page by page, this debut novel will hold readers’ attention until the very end, presenting just enough resolution to leave them satisfied while unanswered questions will have them pining for more.
October 3, 2019
5 reviews
August 17, 2019
I went into this book not knowing what to expect. It just happened that the author was at the store signing books that day and I bought it on impulse.

In this case it was an absolute win. I loved this book pretty much from start to finish. The character development, world-building, pacing; everything was pretty much amazing. The author really knows how to get the reader invested in the characters— the lovable ones, the hateable ones, and especially the conflicted ones in the middle.

I have rarely ever gotten this excited to read the next book in a series, and I have never been current enough to have to wait for the next one. I had never heard of Sara A Noë before this, but I am now definitely a fan!
Profile Image for Sarah Lee.
November 27, 2019
I like my books raw and gritty, and this is what I got from A Fallen Hero. The book has moments of playful whimsy and childlike ignorance from some of the younger characters, but overall the story line is intense, suspenseful, raw, and compelling. There is a satisfying amount of ”corrupt government” and genetic experimentation which plays a big role in the psychology behind this book and the behaviors and ambitions of the characters. This book is built on blurred lines and the gray space between right and wrong, good and evil, and this is highlighted by the in-depth look into multiple view points from both the antagonist characters and the protagonist characters. Overall, brilliant, and I await the next in the series.
2 reviews
Captivating

Nothing to dislike here except having to wait for book two! I have read thousands of books in many different genres but sci fi and fantasy always my personal favorites. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the pace, the story itself and the imagination of the author. Read it
November 29, 2019
Scifi is kind of hit or miss for me, but fantasy is pretty neato so I decided to give this a shot. This book is a good combination of the best parts of scifi with everything I love about fantasy, making for a completely unique adventure that readers of all kinds can get into.
Profile Image for Scott Wyman.
1 review1 follower
November 29, 2019
I picked up this book at my local Barnes & Noble expecting a fun scifi/fantasy adventure, but what I got was so much more. I am particularly impressed by the author's attention to the effects of brainwashing and extreme torture on the human psyche. I was not expecting the depths to which this author went to convey the severity of the situation within Project Alpha, which shed light on how and why certain things where they way they were, and why certain characters act the way they act. Noe clearly spent the necessary amount of time researching the behaviors of individuals who go through traumatic events and I feel that her portrayal of this was intriguing, especially regarding the twins. I have a strong suspicion that this book did not fully demonstrate this author's abilities and that it was rather a small sampling and introduction to something much bigger. I am eagerly awaiting updates on when book two will be out!

-Scott
June 20, 2020
I absolutely loved this book! Noë did an absolutely amazing job keeping the reader entertained throughout the entire book! I love the way she developed each individual character on their own as well as the group as a whole!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 46 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.