Start by marking “If You Hopped Like A Frog” as Want to Read:
If You Hopped Like A Frog

If You Hopped Like A Frog

Did you know that a frog can jump 20 times its body length? Or that an ant can lift an object 50 times its own weight? By applying these ratios and proportions to their own bodies, readers will discover what they could do if they had the amazing abilities of animals.
Published September 1st 1999 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about If You Hopped Like A Frog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Hopped Like A Frog

Start your review of If You Hopped Like A Frog
Dolly
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book offers a fascinating look at the wonders of science and the amazing feats of strength, agility, endurance and speed that can be found throughout nature. Even our own ability to grow when we are a fetus is depicted as the marvel it truly is.

The narrative is informative, but entertaining and the illustrations are hilarious. I especially appreciated the mathematical explanations at the end of the book that describe how the author came up with the proportional comparison.

We've read
Lindsey Reece
I was very intrigued by this book! I love the concept of it and how it puts things in perspective. I was fascinated by the facts and I think my students would be too. I really liked how at the end of the book it showed all of the calculations as to how far a frog can hop compared to a human etc. I think that students who enjoy math may be really interested in that part of the book. After reading this book to my kids, I would have them find another interesting fact about an animal and have them ...more
Madison Ramsey
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This picture book explains some incredible natural occurrences in terms that make sense to a kid. This story explains the size of things we cannot see and the abilities that are hard to fathom. The ending of the book has a scientific explanation of each quality expressed in the book.

This story would be a great way to introduce some animals to students. This would be a good introduction into the abilities of animals.
Taylor McDiffett
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230
While reading this book I was a little confused about what it was talking about. Until the very end, when it gave information about each animal. I think it would be a good book to use while learning about different animals, so maybe during a science lesson.
Alyssa Ricard
This book was really neat. Not only does it make silly jokes about being an animal or bug and the things you could do, but at the end it tells why. There's information about each animal. This is a good way to bring on a science lesson.
Grace DeBaltzo
Fun book that takes animal traits and explains what humans could do if they had similar traits. Kids love this book. Interesting way to compare animals to humans (a standard in early grades) and to learn animal facts.
Tessa Duncan
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, facts
This is both an informational and fun book to read to your class. Each page is filled with a new fact about animals. Such as if you ate like a shrew, you could eat over 700 hamburgers in one day. Each page leaves the reader questioning more about these animals and their strengths and abilities.
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some math is presented in a fun way through fascinating facts in this story. It's an enjoyable story with amazing information, and more details at the end of the book. Great illustrations.
Amy
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-little-boy
4-year-old loves the visuals and the funny comparisons. We've read it several nights in a row recently. Good secondhand bookstore find!
Katy
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty cool book as it gives some actual scientific insight - and the illustrations are pretty funny for kids too.
Amanda Cresse
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Our math teacher is using this book to teach our high school students proportions. I love the examples Schwartz offers. This is another of his books that makes math fun and visual.
Kayla
This would be a cool reading/science lesson to read aloud. It put animals into our perspective and it also gave some facts at the end of the book.
Diane
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Introduces the concept of ratio by comparing what humans would be able to do if they had bodies like different animals.
MaKenzie Reiff
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: el-230
This book was suggested by a guest speaker in my lecture class. It taught ratios and proportions by comparing them to a human. I wasn’t thrilled with this book because it was written for a younger audience, but the concept it taught was for an older audience. I would not use this in my future classroom.
Erin B
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a fun little twist on an informational book, best for upper elementary. It teaches students math and science, while relating it to them. It takes a statistic (like how far a frog can hop), and relates it to how a child would do in the same instance. It is a fun book that demonstrates many different aspects of math and science.
Stephanie Herman
"If you hopped like a frog...you could jump from home plate to first base in one might leap!" -David M. Schwartz

If You Hopped Like a Frog is a real treat for students ages 7-10 years old. Schwartz uses a little bit of math and a lot of imagination to encourage his readers to explore different animal species and their unique abilities. By asking you to consider what you could do if you too had the same capabilities, Schwartz prompts you to investigate more about the various animals described in
Katie Foster
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I like this book, especially to use in science or math. It's full of fun facts that puts in perspective what we, as humans, could do if we had the adaptations that animals have. I'll use one of his many facts as an example. He writes that if we were as strong as ants, we could lift cars. Then at the end of the book, he goes into further detail about each of his facts to prove why they're true. Ants can lift about 50 times their own weight. If you weigh 60 pounds, you could lift a car weighing ...more
Charlynn
Jun 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Looking for an un-intimidating way to introduce ratios and show that math can be fun? Schwartz' If You Hopped Like a Frog does this as he compares a human's abilities to those of animals. Not only does he present the fantastic yet factual knowledge, but he also provides mathematical explanations to demonstrate how he determined the informational concept book's amazing feats. Schwartz' claims are then emphasized by Warhola's use of diagonal lines; his distorted, abstract shapes; and his use of ...more
Clarissa
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: same-author
If You Hopped Like A Frog by David M Schwartz is bright imaginative exploration of nature and its wonders. Have you ever marveled at the feats accomplished by animals? Well Schwartz definitely did and he decided to explore what it would be like if he could actually do some of the same things. From frogs to chameleons and even fleas, Schwartz takes the reader on an exploration through nature. All the fun with math and science thrown in! The pictures are beautiful, colorful and draw the reader ...more
Mike
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Your child is probably always asking what, why, and how. Want to wow your kid with amazing animal facts?

David M. Schwartz was just that kind of inquisitive kid - and it turns out that he grew up to be an inquisitive adult and a children's author. In his excellent If You Hopped Like A Frog, hilariously illustrated by Mad Magazine alum (and nephew of Andy Warhol) James Warhola, you will find out just how tiny your brain would be, if it were scaled to the relative size of a brachiosaurus, just how
Jacqui Pollard
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The idea behind this book is relatively simple, but I think it certainly has an impact on its readers. The book begins with a letter from the author, David Schwartz, explaining his desire to answer questions such as, "If I were a frog, how far could I hop?" or "If I were a snake, how much could I eat?" when he was a kid. David explains that there is no limit to what you can figure out, because it's all simply a matter of math. As soon as I read this, the light bulb went off in my head as I ...more
Kirsten Lansberry
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book like many children's books, attempts to help the reader see the world through the perspective of someone else. But this book does an incredible job! It takes facts about the attributes of actual animals and creates an understandable analogy of how those attributes would change life for the reader. For example, the title says "If you hopped like a frog" and continues on the first page, "...you could make it from home plate to first base in one giant leap." Now the reader completely ...more
Erica Cowhick
Oct 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
If You Hopped Like a Frog is a book where children can incorporate math into reading. Once children understand that a frog can jump twenty times its body length, they can figure out how far you can hop if you hopped like a frog. For example, a snake swallows food twice as wide as its head, you can find out what you could eat if you snacked like a snake. This book gives all kinds of examples that deal with how big objects are.

1. Children could make their own idea up. For example, if you scurried
Nolan Johnson
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
A. This book is about a boy who imagines himself doing the actions of many animals. It is very mathematical and it converts animals special attributes to if a human had that specific attribute. For example, a 3-inch frog can hop 60 inches. If you are 41/2 feet tall and you jumped like a frog you would be able to sail from home plate to first base (90 ft.).

B. Using math to find out what it would be like to be a certain animal.

C. This would be a good book to read when doing a math lesson on
Jonathan Andrew
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a clever way to learn fun facts about animals!! The author involves the reader in the book because he talks about what the reader could do if they were like a certain animal. So if you could jump like a flea, you could jump all the way to the torch on the Statue of Liberty. It was such a fun way for kids to grasp just how incredible animals are. And it let them visually grasp what kinds of things they could do if they had the same capabilities. It was very fun, and the pictures were ...more
Kathryn Hogan
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Cute estimation book. The book is very factual in a unique way. This book is would be great for third graders. The illustrations were amazing. I loved how in the back of the book is shows mathematically how the facts make sense. It is truly an amazing book that uses math facts to determine nw new facts. I love the details. I like how the book had questions that are for the students to do on their own as well. This book is very cool and the facts and the calculations that are added in the back ...more
Nicole Fellows
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book to teach kids about ratios and proportions. It gives interesting facts about what you could do if you had some of the amazing abilities that animals have.
I love the illustrations. They are fun and really help to show the kids the comparisons. The book is simple, but very interesting. I also loved that in the back of the book, the author goes through and explains how he figured out each of the facts so you could figure out exactly what you could do with amazing animal
Morgan
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think that this is a great book for children ranging from preschool to 5th grade. It is a very interesting book with a lot of fun facts, it also encourages students to use their imagination which I really like. There is a section at the very end of the book that allowed students to do the math to figure out how high they could hop if they could hop like a frog or how much food they could eat if they ate like a shrew. I think this is a really fun, great book for children.
Angie
Before reading this book, I didn’t know that frogs could jump 20 times it’s body length, that ants lift 50 times their own weight and that a spider moved so fast in comparison to their length. This was an eye-opening book and would be one I would recommend for this children who like to learn about facts. I really liked the informational blubs at the end. There were great questions that I thought about after reading this book.
Krysten
Apr 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Summary: This book compares the abilities of amazing animals to what a human could do if they had the same abilities. Chameleons have tongues half their body length, spiders can run 35 times the length of their body in one second, and fleas can jump 70 times its own height.
Evaluation: these are really interesting facts that I think kids will think are really fun since they are compared to human abilities. I like the art and the way the facts are presented is kind of funny.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sir Cumference and the First Round Table: A Math Adventure
  • The Broken Ornament
  • If You Find a Rock
  • Henry's Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs for All!
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Méndez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
As a child, I was filled with a sense of awe as I contemplated the universe. The huge numbers of stars and their sizes and distances never failed to amaze me. With binoculars and magnifying glass, I also focused on closer subjects like birds, flowers, frogs and bugs.

But science and math weren't my only fascinations: I also loved bicycles, baseball, boats…and ice cream. Years later, on a clear