Start by marking “Mask (Four Regions #1)” as Want to Read:
Mask (Four Regions #1)

Mask

(Four Regions #1)

Emily thought magic only existed in the books she read as a child. When a handsome stranger enlists her help to uncover who tried to kill the princess of another world, she learns those books were more than just stories. She discovers the Four Regions - a realm where magical creatures fled to escape human persecution. It is there Emily finds the power, passion, and friends ...more
Published August 11th 2020 by Andrea Fink Books

To ask other readers questions about Mask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mask

Start your review of Mask (Four Regions #1)
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Emily thought magic only existed in the books she read as a child. But when she finds herself abducted by a stranger and dragged into a completely different world, she may have to reconsider everything she knew about not only magic as a concept but also herself.

Trapped in the Four Regions, a realm where magical creatures fled to escape human persecution, Emily is supposed to trust the stranger who had brought her there and try her best to unmask a murderer and save her sister. A sister she hadn'
Megan Danielle
Jun 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
From the beginning, this book had me hooked. The magic system in this book (especially with regards to the sun/moon/stars) is amazing. I love the twist on regular lore, specifically revolving around the vampires. The time of the fae is now over. Hot girl summer is in for demons, demons and more hot demons.

The characters in this book were written flawlessly. Not only was the MC so relatable and genuinely interesting to read about, the cast of the found family band of misfits she gathers (aka the
Jennifer Perry
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book and got it free for my review from the author! I won’t give any spoilers but did want to say sorry to the author! I got busy with school! It was a wonderful book and I loved the world and the characters and it’s definitely a book I’d buy once it comes out!
Stephanie B.  Whitfield
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you love fantasy, vampires, demons, elves and magic you will love this read. This was a hard one to put down for me. Love this Magical world that the author created, looking forward to reading the next one. This one is clean.
Dan Kenner
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Mask is an incredible story. Pair that with Andrea’s extremely good writing skills, and you have a book that everyone will enjoy. I was having an inkling for some good fantasy and this definitely sated that. I’m only left with the feeling of wanting more. Well done, Andrea.
Sophie Johannis
Apr 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
I picked up MASK because I love the cover and enjoy playing matchmaker for indie books. When reading a self-published book, I always ask myself: Who would be the ideal reader for this?

The ideal reader of MASK...
... loves plot-driven stories and external action. People who think that protagonists shouldn't be whiny would love MASK because the protagonist, Emily, barely complains and simply goes along with the challenges she needs to face.
... is a visual rather than a visceral reader: the action i
Breysreviews
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Mask by Andrea Fink was like being pulled into a fairy tale from hell, where everything is going wrong and you’re there against your will. I. Loved. It!

5/5 stars

Emily wakes up in a field with a handsome stranger only to find out she’s replacing the sister she never knew about while the sister is ill. First of all, I loved Emily. Her reaction was very understandable, considering the situation and it was very real.

The world building in this book was fascinating. No one actually has a real name u
Lisa Hesse
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I do enjoy YA novels, fantasy is not my usual genre. However, this is a story that will be enjoyed by those who are better read in fiction of this type. It is well-written with a storyline that continuously advances and keeps the reader interested and looking forward to more.

The story has many features common in YA novels: a protagonist who has felt her life to be unremarkable but suddenly called upon to do the unexpected; a love triangle; a decision that will change the directions of the
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend The Mask for anyone who enjoys fun, light-hearted fantasy novels. The story-line is unique and surprising while incorporating familiar fantasy themes. I really enjoyed reading The Mask and am looking forward to reading more books by this author! Pick it up if you are looking for a fun beach read or a break from the craziness of the world. I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Elexis Bell
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Leona Loftis
Mar 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely fun and intriguing read. Emily gets thrown into the world of magic and fae and has to learn quickly how to survive.
Erica Hose
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mask took me to a world unlike any that I have encountered before, one that I look forward to exploring further. Emily is a very relatable character that you cannot help rooting for, even if you end up questioning some of her decisions. Let's hope that this is the first of many books.

I received an Advanced Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Heather Ingersoll
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the heck out of this book! Perfect quick read and I cannot wait for the sequel! Perfect blend of fantasy and a little sci-fi-ish ness! The characters were well developed and the plot was quick and kept me turning the pages!
Lisab_reads
Jun 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Love the magical world this author created. I may want to live there too! Strong female lead. Found family. Mystery. There are vampires (not the Edward kind), demons, elves, and humans. What’s not to like!!! It’s a very fast read. I read it in one day.
Sadie Marshall
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an Advanced Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. That being said, this is an AMAZING book. I am and always have been a huge fan of YA and fantasy and really truly enjoyed this story. It was a quick read, but had me wanting to read more of the story and the other regions. I can't wait till the rest of the books come out and I can continue to read and immerse myself in this world. ...more
Melina Lobo
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep inside you. This feeling is where your power will come from. It is strong, but controllable.
🦄🦄🦄
When Emily gets pulled into another world by a stranger, she finds herself leaving her life behind to save a Princess.
Now orphaned after the death of her mother, Emily envelopes her new person a in magic while trying to find out who hurt the Princess.
In a world where demons, vampires, elves thrive, Emily must become a part of them while wearing a mask.
🦄🦄🦄
Mask is a fantasy novel by Andrea Fink.
I'm
Ashling
"Highness, it may not be the ideal fantasyland," Wit smirked, "but it is home."

This book was a fun, easy read!! I bought this book as the cover was just gorgeous, but then I read the synopsis, and I could not wait to delve in. This was a book I read as a 'buddy read' with my friend Sophie, and it was fun to think about things and talk about the book from different perspectives.

Let's talk about the first 50 pages first.

The depth of detail that Andrea has gone through with creating the world is be
Sandi
May 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Overall, this was a good book. The beginning third, probably, is a lot of world building that just feels like an info dump. But pressing on beyond that, when the story really gets moving and then we get to the climax and conclusion, it’s much better developed as an overall tale.

Emily is whisked away from the human realm by someone claiming he needs her help to save her sister, who she never knew she had. She is taken to this fairytale realm, full of demons, vampires, dwarves, and all kinds of ot
Amanda de Geus
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing first book to the series, I was lucky enough to read this as an ARC.

Mask jumps right into a fantastical world full of mystery, romance, creatures, and adventure. The characters are well fleshed out and have a wonderful depth to them. This book truly is a doorway to another world.

As with any fantasy book, it is easy to fall into cliches and I think Fink did a phenomenal job bringing her own unique brand to this genre. I am excited to see what she does next!
Amber
Jun 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the world building! I can't wait to explore more of the four realms! The side characters are so good! I love found family! Looking forward to learning more about the magic system and the world! ...more
Annmarie Wise
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mask of Originality

I enjoyed the original take on a new fantasy world. I look forward to seeing more of this world developed and explored.
Sanjasbestshelf
Dec 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a fun quick read! I really enjoyed this book. The ending leaves me wanting more! I feel really bad for one of the sisters 😭 highly recommend this fantasy indie book!
Bethany Votaw
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stunning debut!
Allison
Apr 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this for the second time--wanted to refresh my memory before starting the next in the series.

This book has all the elements of a great YA fantasy: a surprise twin, a hidden world full of demons, vampires, and elves, two hunky love interests, and a realllly good ending. I can't wait to read the next book to learn more about the world of the Four Regions and what will happen next!
Laura Denney
First of all, I received an Advanced Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. That being said, here is my non-spoiler review.

Mask jumps right into action on the get-go, with a quick introduction to their world of magic and the creatures that inhabit it. The main character, Emily, is very easy to relate to as she learns to navigate this new world she has been suddenly thrust into. I enjoyed this new take on magic, and the contrast between a world full of it, and our world. And while I
Sayuri
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Musing of Souls
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Now, if we are talking about books in another world, this is a whole new concept and I totally love it.
------------------------------------------------
Synopsis:
Someone has taken Emily to a different world and there are no choices in front of her except to trust the one who has abducted her. There are secrets and there are creatures who do not want Emily around. Will the deathly stench of this human survive in a region full of demons, vampires, elves, and what not?
------------------------------
Brandann Hill-Mann
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I snagged an ARC of this book from the author. This is my honest review.

The premise of MASK includes some well-loved tropes: Secret Princess, In Love With the Monster, Trapped in Another World, Masquerade (a fave of mine), Powers in the First Episode, and Interspecies Romance/Hybrid Offspring to name a few. Fink has a solid grasp of these tropes, and puts them all to good use with a spin of her own.

In telling Emily’s story, Fink has pulled off some plot elements that impressed and entertained me
Christel Kammerzell
I was lucky to be an advanced reader of this book. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read! I love the fresh story and the departure from dystopian novels that have been dominating the young adult genre. It was so different than anything else I’ve read. The author’s style ended each chapter with an “I wonder what’s going to happen next” feeling that kept me hooked—It was hard to put down! There was a little bit of everything in this story; romance, adventure, danger, levity. It was definitely one to ...more
Rutuja Ramteke
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

🍷Mask🍷
Mask by Andrea Fink is the first book in the "Four Regions" series and is definitely one of my favorite fantasy reads with a blend of drama and romance. The story revolves around Emily, Emily thought magic only existed in the books she read as a child. When a handsome stranger enlists her help to uncover who tried to kill the princess of another world, she learns those books were more than just stories. She discovers the Four Regions - a realm where magical creatures fled to escape human p

• Falling & Uprising (Falling & Uprising, #1)
  • Scattered & Breaking (Falling & Uprising, #2)
  • The High Mountain Court (The Five Crowns of Okrith, #1)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • Bloodlet (The Growing Veil, #1)
  • The Business of Love (Eros & Co. #1)
  • Bloodlines (The Growing Veil, #2)
  • Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • All the Tides of Fate (All the Stars and Teeth, #2)
  • The Parlor
  • The Nocere (A Haunting Dystopian Tale #1)
  • The Swap