Start by marking “Slapen in een Zee van Sterren” as Want to Read:
Slapen in een Zee van Sterren

Slapen in een Zee van Sterren

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  11,760 ratings  ·  2,654 reviews
Kira Navárez werkt als xenobioloog op een ruimteschip. Het is haar taak om nog niet gekoloniseerde planeten te inventariseren en te kijken of ze bruikbaar zijn voor mensen. Na jaren trouwe dienst is Kira het constante ruimtereizen en gescheiden zijn van haar vriend Alan zat. Ze is klaar om haar carrière vaarwel te zeggen en te gaan settelen.

Voor het zover is, heeft Kira ec
Published October 6th 2020 by Boekerij (first published September 15th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Slapen in een Zee van Sterren, please sign up.
Betsy Starks Desperodox - I think you're being unduly critical. Letting a child read what she wants is in a different category from recommending to that child a bo…moreDesperodox - I think you're being unduly critical. Letting a child read what she wants is in a different category from recommending to that child a book to read. As a grandmother, I know my teenage grandchildren read a wide variety, and they read what they want to read. But I am not going to recommend or give them a book that I feel is inappropriate. In my opinion you're being a bit pedantic and judgemental.(less)

·  11,760 ratings  ·  2,654 reviews

Start your review of Slapen in een Zee van Sterren
Stephanie L
But the real question is, will there be space dragons?
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I read this book as part of my "Giving authors a second/last chance" challenge...

I read Eragon as an adult after hearing so many rave reviews but it personally didn't work for me so I wanted to give the author a second chance.

While I overall like the story, the writing didn't work for me and I couldn't finish the book. I put it down at 56%.
First contact with aliens is one of my favorite premises but the book felt too long and the pace couldn't be sustained.

It just wasn't for me!
Miranda Reads
description

Just released my Top 10 Books from 2020 BookTube Video - now that you know this one made the list, click the link to find the rest!
Annnd here's my original reaction to this book!
description

I am overwhelmed. I'm overjoyed. And I Vlogged the Reading Experience.
The Written Review

Kira Navárez has always been fascinated by the outer worlds - specifically, life on other planets.

She's spent her life traveling to the edges of the known universe to categorize and learn from the microbes and other creatures.
megs_bookrack
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Upon first finishing To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, I leaned toward rating it 4.5-stars, maybe rounding up, maybe not.

There were some aspects I didn't love; some areas where it dragged a bit for me.

However, after having time to reflect on this story as a whole, it is absolutely a 5-star book.

I CANNOT STOP thinking about it!

This novel is quite the accomplishment for Paolini. If I am remembering the Author's Note correctly, he worked on this project for nine years and it shows.

In the beginning, we
Mary S. R.
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: plot-driven, hard sci-fi thriller fans
(4.5 ★’s) No, there are no space dragons—there are space squids instead. And my general reaction to this mammoth is:

“Eat the path, or the path will eat you.”

Christopher Paolini has been sitting on this book for about a decade and man, it shows. No, I don’t mean a glorious Paolini-sized dent in the physical copy but on everything sci-fi and epic and action about To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, which is the majority of it. This man just killed it—seized it by the throat and throttled it, to quote
MarilynW
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini, narrated by Jennifer Hale.

Winner of Best Science Fiction in the 2020 Goodreads Choice Awards.

When I saw the To Sleep in a Sea of Stars title, I wasn't sure about tackling 880 pages. Then I saw that the book was narrated by Jennifer Hale and the fact that the narration is 32 hours and 30 minutes, mattered not one iota. Because I've played as Commander Shepard, in the Mass Effect games, more times than I will ever admit. I'm also familiar with Hal
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Just some little name drops that remind me of Alien and Alien VS Predator: Weyland, Hendriksen, Bishop. And I’m okay with it 😉

Horror welled up inside Kira.
She clawed at her forearms in a desperate attempt to rip off the alien organism. Even with their hard veneer, her nails couldn’t cut or break the fibers.

I love this book so much!! 😫

I can’t say enough how much I love this book!

I love sooo many characters:
Kira
Hwa-jung
Itari

and so many
✨ A ✨
Highly ambitious of me to start this year off with a genre I avoid like the plag- ..... Perhaps it's a bit too soon to say that given our current situation.

If this goes badly.... Pretend you never saw this

___
well hello there new Christopher Paolini book. I don't even like reading sci-fi but I'll make an exception for you 😉

Bradley
It having been much more than a decade since I've read anything else by Paolini -- his dragons were pretty okay -- I came to the idea of reading his adult space opera with mild anticipation.

I mean, sure, it's often true that many writers of fantasy who decide to jump the fence into SF do so brilliantly, so a part of my mind kept thinking of, say, Adrian Tchaikovsky, and I wondered. I wondered hard.

After getting my hands on this book and having started it, I began comparing it to Becky Chambers w
James Tivendale
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, freecopy
I received a limited edition proof copy of To Sleep in a Sea of Stars in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Christopher Paolini and Tor Books.

In To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, we follow the third-person perspective of Kira who is a xenobiologist. We join her towards the end of an assignment on the Earth-sized moon of Adrasteia. On the final excursion to the moon, Kira uncovers a mysterious relic. What was hidden there was placed away for a good reason and Kira's discovery of it will have d
Dylan
Aug 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, netgalley, ebook, sci-fi
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
I was wondering what the Eragon dude has been up to. I guess in between rolling around on piles of money, he found time to write a new book.

I like sci-fi, soooo
Charlotte May
Feb 19, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly the fact that this book is arriving on Thursday is the only thing getting me through this week. 💫 🌌

******************

New book from Christopher Paolini?!

Hell yes I’m down with that!
Phrynne
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2020
Well it is certainly very long and the paperback version is very awkward to read in bed, but it is also enormously entertaining and worth any hardships. I found it hard to stop reading and, when I had to do other things, I was always thinking about it and wanting to get back to it. Sure signs of a really good book.

I am a scifi fan from way back and To Sleep in a Sea of Stars frequently reminded me of Kevin J. Anderson's Saga of the Seven Suns, one of my favourite series. There was a similarity i
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
A decent sci-fi. I didn’t hate it. But I do have some thoughts.

Paolini has definitely blossomed as a writer. He always had the storytelling basics, but time and experience has done his craft well. I particularly liked his character construction. So many different personalities and a great dynamic between all of them. I’d be hard-presses to pick a favorite, and I love that.

I wouldn’t say the book was particularly original – I feel like I’ve read many different versions of at least the first 25%.
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Excuse me, a new book by Christopher Paolini? High school Cece is thriving.
Barbara
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Xenobiologist Kira Navárez is part of a survey crew studying a moon called Adrasteia, many light years from Earth.

When Kira was a child, humans found the first known alien artefact, called The Great Beacon. Kira, who was thrilled by the discovery, decided the study of alien life forms would be her future occupation.

Kira and the rest of the survey crew is about to finish its work, after which its members will be assigned to separate projects elsewhere in space. In an effort to stay together Kira
Sherwood Smith
Plenty of ink has been spilled about Christopher Paolini's dreadful/wonderful fantasy series (depending on who you talk to). When I was a teacher, I read everything my junior high and high school students read. The younger ones in particular loved Eragon--to them the clunky prose, cliche characters, and undigested swathes of various popular movies plus Bruce Coville's work were invisible. Though I couldn't make it through the first book, I knew that if I'd encountered it as a kid, I too would ha ...more
Monte Price
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Y'all...

I'm going to be very honest here, I didn't really think I was going to like this book as much as I did. I had vague memories of Eragon from my youth, a series that I never finished and it wouldn't have been the first time this year that I'd been burned by Tor, a book as long as this one. That said within the opening chapters I was immediately hooked, invested in the book and our main character in a way that hasn't happened nearly as often this year as I would have liked.

There was also a
Bethany
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars is Christopher Paolini's first novel for adults and first sci-fi novel and....it's a bit of a mixed bag. Clocking in at nearly 900 pages this book is a tome, and it really didn't need to be. Part 1 of the book is fantastic. It's tightly plotted with big twists that kept me riveted, clearly very well edited with the feeling of a sci-fi thriller. After that, things begin to meander a lot more with bloated writing and uneven pacing that detracts from the very interesting ...more
Claudia
Sep 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 30% - my biggest dissapointment of the year. Maybe the tons of cliches wouldn't have bothered me had it been well written, but it's not. The characters' behaviours are not credible, the dialogues are the same - the author is trying too hard to make them cool and utterly fails.

Every gesture, every action, every emotion is explained - he leaves no room for you to raise a question and it has a single narative thread in a story over 900 pages.

From the beginning I guessed it will be a light an
Montzalee Wittmann
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
by Christopher Paolini
Narrated by Jennifer Hale
Macmillan Audio
I requested this audible book from NetGalley and was unable to download despite trying everything I know to get it to work. The NetGalley app has a rating of 2 for a reason! I notified the Macmillan team, which were awesome, and they sent me the first 19 chapters and the last few chapters of the book in audible format. A large sample book!
I really feel in love with this book! I love sci-fi, aliens, main char
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Macmillan Audio for the free audiobook in exchange for an honest review

Kind of a DNF at I forgot where percent.

This started out well enough. It was very intriguing and mildly spooky but it got tiresome the further I got into it.

I had been going strong with the book... I read a solid 8 hours of the audiobook but that was over the weekend and when I paused, I completely lost motivation. I tried to restart it multiple times but I just couldn't get hooked.

I skipped to the end and wa
Krystal
DNF @ Pg 536 (61%)

I think it's time to review this monstrosity.

Paolini is a fantasy author and nowhere is that more apparent than in this, his sci-fi debut. Stick to fantasy, buddy.

Let me just start with a list of my complaints and go from there.

- Dull and slow from the get-go
- Science is generally pretty light on, unless it's going into pointlessly detailed explanations of something
- Characters are annoying cardboard cutouts
- Frustrating behaviour
- The plot is almost non-existent
- The alien
Valliya Rennell
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Bobiverse and (movie) District 9

Christopher Paolini is one of the people who turned me into a writer, and the sole man who got me into the world of high epic fantasy. For this I will be ever grateful to him. Although looking back on Eragon, I now see that it had a lot of faults, I still think it one of the most influential novels for me. Needless to say, I was hyped for To Sleep in A Sea of Stars. This book is very very different from Paolini's previous works, so if you're coming in and expecting something similar, th
NAT.orious reads ☾
This better not be like what I've had to go through with his other series or I'll have a talk with little Christopher.

Ohhh update y'all: we have a cover!
Trish
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Casaba Howitzer!
I’ve always loved science fiction but there are definitely better and less groundbreaking books / movies. This, I’m happy to have found out, is definitely groundbreaking.

I remember reading the fantasy series this author is known for and not being half as infatuated with it as the people around me. As it turns out, this might be due to the fact that Paolini’s strength is not fantasy but sci-fi.

Welcome to a universe in which humans have spread through the galaxy. We are living
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love anything mind bending, flabbergasting Paolini writes! He is one of the greatest complex, extra brilliant, smartest minds who presents us remarkable sci-fi works! ( Normally I don’t keen on dragon fantasy novels but when he writes one of them, I learn how to enjoy them eventually! )

I did a first, I read only two chapters and voted for this book as best sci-fi for goodreads choice awards. I read most of the other books who were nominated before and maybe it wasn’t so fair to decide to fal
Sheena
As a child, I read the Eragon series so I decided to check out Christopher Paolini's new book. I like that he went from a dragon fantasy series to a space alien novel. It shows creativity to jump genres like that but I think I would’ve preferred a book about anything else instead. I’m not the biggest fan of sci-fi to begin with, aliens and tentacles don't do it for me at all. Alien wars, body possessions, mutations and all that bore me to death. I’m definitely not the target audience for this bo ...more
James Tullos
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full thoughts here: https://youtu.be/1F2_1iHz7B8

I was beyond excited for Paolini to come out with a new book after a 9 year dry spell and this one is a full on sci-fi adventure full of all sorts of fun stuff.

My main issue is that it's basically just Eragon for grown ups and in space. And Eragon was already just Star Wars with dragons. The characters aren't the same, and some of the story beats were different, but around 2/3 through I realized the major plot points were very similar to those from

• Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Unparalleled
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • In Five Years
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Eon (The Way, #1)
  • American Psycho
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Tweet Cute
  • Book Love
  • Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • Alone (The Girl in the Box, #1)
  • Predator's Gold (Mortal Engines Quartet #2)
  • House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • A Castle of Doomsday
  • The Accidental Beauty Queen
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • The Gift
Christopher Paolini was born in Southern California and has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana. He published his first novel, Eragon, in 2003 at the age of nineteen, and quickly became a publishing phenomenon. His Inheritance Cycle—Eragon and its three sequels—have sold nearly 40 million copies worldwide. To Sleep in a Sea of Stars is his first adult novel.

Visit Paolini.net for

Articles featuring this book

“The path to our goal is rarely straight. It tends to turn and twist, which makes the journey far more enjoyable than it would otherwise be.” 10 likes
“The hardest lesson in life is learning to accept that there are some things we can't change." Falcone paused, his eyes hard and glittering.
[...]
Then he unbuttoned the cuffs on his shirt and rolled back his sleeves to expose the melted surface of his forearms. He held them up for Kira to see.
"Why do you think I keep these scars?"
"Because you feel guilty over ..."
"No," Falcone said harshly.
Then, in a gentler tone, "No. I keep them to remind me of what I can survive. Of what I have survived. If I'm having a rough time, I look at my arms and then I know I'll get through whatever problem I'm dealing with. Life's not gonna break me. It can't break me. It might kill me, but nothing it throws at me is gonna make me give up.”
7 likes