Start by marking “Buttermilk” as Want to Read:

Buttermilk (Serendipity)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  479 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Serendipity books have warmed the hearts of young and old for over two decades, becoming classics in children's literature. Each beloved tale teaches youngsters how to deal with the challenges of their world, providing them with positive solutions to difficult problems.

Join the whimsical characters in this beautifully illustrated collection as they entertain and inspire ev

Published June 2nd 1986 by Price Stern Sloan (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Buttermilk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buttermilk

Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-for-kid1
It's been years since I've read this book but the beautiful illustrations still stick with me. The entire Serendipity series was centered around a variety of moral and life lessons. Buttermilk is about being afraid of the unknown and using knowledge to conquer fear.

My favorite part of the story involves Buttermilk the bunny finding out that a dreaded dragon is only a willow tree... but if you look closely in the illustrations, there's a tiny, adorable dragon in the picture. Definitely a good boo
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
"The dark of night, and a vivid imagination, can make ordinary things seems scary."

A book about being scared of the dark, and how things seems different in the dark than in the light of day. A very handy book for parents dealing with these things. Plus it's beautifully illustrated. (And I just want to hug Buttermilk, she is too cute.)
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading some of these Serendipity books way back in early elementary school! They had a 5th grade reading level sticker on them and I'm pretty sure I just wanted to read them because I was in 2nd grade and wanted to be cool for reading above my level. I remember some of the stories being really good! Probably my earliest solo reading memories.
Kest Schwartzman
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
gotta love the underlying pathos, barely covered in a thin veneer of weirdly sexualized fuzzy bunny butt. (also, in this world, a bunny is afraid of a banshee, but owls? owls are our friends)
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Extremely adorable but also very good at not being condescending toward the reality of night-time fears. This is a great moment of reassurance that your imagination can get away from you when it's dark and shadowy; I gave it four stars instead of five because the wrap-up moral at the end destroys that sense of understanding by simply saying that monsters aren't real. Of course they're not real, but they feel real enough (especially to children) that there isn't much difference.

Also, ten million
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book, serendipity
Adorable book that shows just how much the imagination plays havoc in the dark while Robin James does a great job of making those night-time monsters so graphic looking that you can agree with Buttermilk. And I love the idea how her father doesn't only comforts her but takes her out the next day to see what the actual monsters were. Loved the little dragon under the willow tree :)

Definitely one of the best.....
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a wonderful book series for kids that want to work toward reading chapter books but are not quiet there yet. Every other page has a beautiful illustration next to a page that is not overwhelming with text.

In this story Buttermilk is on her way home to her bunny burrow when night comes sooner than anticipated. So many scary things hid in the shadows at night, and Buttermilk fears her fast feet are not fast enough to get her to safety.
Suzanne Mather
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serendipity books have always been some of the best ones for kids in my opinion. Buttermilk is just one that I adored as a child. When I was 6 I loved the book so much I drew the cover for my art teacher and it made a blue ribbon at the art show that year. I wish I still had it! I will be checking the library for this one for my little ones soon as well.
Angela Bagwell
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
this was my favorite book as a child and the illustrations where beautiful.
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations. My son loves to look at the pictures and he can read the book alone. It's not too hard for 6 year old boys to read.
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the bunny's are cute
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apr 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I remember this cover, so I'm pretty sure I read this one since I liked Squeakers so much.
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children 4th grade and up
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Mrs. Baswell
This is a book of helping your little one get over their fear of the dark.
Mar 09, 2012
  • The Market Square Dog
  • Mogie: The Heart of the House
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • ABC ZooBorns!
  • A Kiss Goodbye  (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #3)

Serendipity (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Bangalee
  • Buttermilk Bear
  • Butterwings
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Catundra
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Creolé