Start by marking “Four Dukes and a Devil (The Byrons of Braebourne #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Four Dukes and a Devil (The Byrons of Braebourne #1.5)

Four Dukes and a Devil (The Byrons of Braebourne #1.5)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  2,313 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
Fall in love with the unpredictable and irresistible dukes (and one dog named Duke) of Four Dukes and a Devil. Join New York Times bestselling authors Cathy Maxwell, Jeaniene Frost, and Tracy Anne Warren, along with USA Today bestselling author Elaine Fox and RITA Award winner Sophia Nash, for tales of noble danger and devilish desire.

Delicate young ladies must be protecte
Published June 30th 2009 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Four Dukes and a Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Dukes and a Devil

Julie (jjmachshev)
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Three and a half stars for "Four Dukes and a Devil", an anthology from Avon romance authors Cathy Maxwell, Elaine Fox, Jeaniene Frost, Sophia Nash, and Tracy Anne Warren. The best thing about this anthology is its mix of contemporary and historical, racy and sweet, and both vanilla and paranormal settings. Something for everyone.

The Irish Duke by Cathy Maxwell spins a tale of a penniless noblewoman who turns to match-making to support herself. When one of her best selling 'hooks' adversely affec
Beanbag Love
Sep 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I bought this for the Jeaniene Frost story. I liked it, but there was an obvious solution to the overriding dilemma that was never brought up and I think that was lame. Still, Frost is a good story teller and I enjoyed it, particularly knowing that some of the details are pertinent to Spade's upcoming book. So ... even though he never makes an appearance, I thought about Spade a lot and how can I complain about that?

The other stories were mostly regencies. I'm not sure how this anthology was put
FlibBityFLooB
I decided to break this anthology down by story in my review:

Devil to Pay(Jeaniene Frost):
A parnormal short story. Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series is one of my favorites. She is actually the reason I had picked out this anthology to begin with because I saw her name on the book. I was not expecting this story to be a spin-off from Night Huntress… nobody had told me that Mencheres, Bones, and Cat would be in this book, albeit in minor roles as secondary characters. I would guess that thi
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I bought this anthology for the Cat and Bones short story. Unfortunately, it is not alone. First there is the story for which I bought this. It's not bad, but not exactly consistent with the Night Huntress world. Didn't we just recently get a story about demon blood/vampire drug? All in all, it didn't really add much to the Night Huntress world/story. But still it was certainly a decent read. *** for the Frost story.

But there are four non-paranormal stories (well, three and a half) matched with
Kathy Davie
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This anthology consists of three normal historical romances and two paranormal romances.

Series:
"Irish Duke" (part of Cameron Sisters??)

"Duke Who Came to Dinner" (part of Guys & Dogs??)

"Devil to Pay" (Vampire Huntress, 3.5)

"Catch of the Century" (Widows Club, 3.5)

"Charmed by Her Smile" Byrons of Braebourne, 2.5)

Cathy Maxwell's "Irish Duke" was a bit simple but cute in spite of the incongruities sprinkled throughout with the trouble Miss Susan Rogers causes Roan Gillray, fourth Duke of Killei
Holly
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I only read the Jeaniene Frost story, Devil To Pay.

Bones and Cat make only a brief appearance. Most of this book centers around a vampire named Elise, Mencheres, and a demon possessed human male named Blake. And it was sad! Very sweet and very sad! * sniffle* but of course since this is a romance story there's a happy ending to sigh over. I wish there could have been a wee bit more to the ending though.
♥The Kat's Meow♥
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, nook, historical
Cute book, Quick, fun read.
Barbara
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic anthology with stories by several very familiar authors and a few authors I hadn't read before. I enjoyed all five of the stories a lot, especially Jeaniene Frost's vampire tale.

The Irish Duke - Cathy Maxwell: Susan Rogers has warned everyone in London about The Irish Duke in order to get more clients for her business of shepherding young ladies through the season. When the actual Irish Duke shows up, irate because all the young ladies are avoiding him, he and Susan butt hea
Kelly22

The following review is for Tracy Anne Warren's "Charmed By Her Smile" only.

This one was a very neat and clean short read. It was one of those fluffy love stories that bring a sweet smile in your face which lingers as long as you read it!

India Byron is the cousin of Edward Byron, Duke of Clybourne (his story can be visited in At the Duke's Pleasure) and is troubled by an exasperating suitor’s relentless perusal. She wishes nothing but to get rid of him and is desperate to do anything to confir
Carrie Olguin
Jun 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
DNF.

This is a collection of short stories, a mix of historical, contemporary and paranormal.

I read the first short called the Irish Duke which seemed to have potential. But like most short stories, the plot is simple and character development minimal. I did not believe in the speed in which the couple meet and fall in love within two weeks.

I read a few chapter of the next short contemporary (the duke is a dog named Duke). Nothing special about the characters or the plot, not enough to emotionall
Ann aka Iftcan
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, anthology
This was a collection of 5 short stories. I decided that each story was worth 1 star, either it got it or it didn't. As you can see--only 2 of the stories were what I considered "worth while." The Jeanine Frost story was good--it was part of the Cat and Bones series, so you did need at least some knowledge of the series to appreciate it. The second story that I really enjoyed was the story by Sophia Nash. It too was part of a series, one that I think that I'm going to have to check out. It was f ...more
Lynsey A
I only read the Jeanine Frost story. It was enjoyable although nothing to write home about. It was so short there wasn't much to do with it. There was one really beautiful scene I loved:

"I know this makes no sense, since we've only known each other less than a week, but Blake...if I could spend the rest of my life with just one person, it would be you," she whispered.

Blake pulled away. Looked at her face and saw the naked vulnerability, emotion, and need there. He smiled, brushing back a strand
Olga Godim
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This anthology is comprised of 5 romance novellas. One of them is a modern romance (Elaine Fox), one is a contemporary paranormal romance (Jeaniene Frost), and the other three are historical romances. The individual styles and quality of writing vary greatly from story to story. Below are mini-reviews for each of the stories. The overall rating is a compilation of the individual rating for each story – see below.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cathy MaxwellThe Irish Duke (1 star)

Horrible writing. Very
Aimee
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this one just for the Jeaniene Frost story. I really liked it. The one problem I had with it...and it's the same problem I have with all short stories...is that it's too short (state the obvious, I know). But it doesn't give enough time to bond with the characters properly. Although, I must say, given the length of the story, the characters were surprisingly well fleshed out.

The other stories were entertaining as well. Enough to keep my reading, at least. I got a sample of some new autho
Tasha Turner
I enjoyed all the stories in this anthology. Of course the one by Jeaniene Frost a Cat and Bones short was my favorite and the only paranormal of the bunch. One story had what I considered an inappropriate explicit sex scene for its genre but the rest of the story was great. Each story had well fleshed out characters, humor, romance, strong women, and felt complete, not rushed.
Nicole
DEVIL TO PAY by Jeaniene Frost

Elise & Blake . . .

Bones & Cat made a very short appearance - but this novella is focused on Elise & the demon-possessed Blake - with Mancheres playing a bigger role than Cats & Bones.

Blake's dilemma is that he's possessed by demon Xaphan. Elise is determined to save Blake - and needed Mancheres' help in the process . . .

This is a good short read. But I somehow hoped to read more . . .

Overall: 3.5 stars.
Amy
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
First off, this anthology mixes genres - 3 regencies, 1 contemporary, and 1 paranormal. I hate that, as I typically only read historical romances.

The only story that was at all memorable was "The Catch of the Century," by Sophia Nash. That probably would get at least 3 stars, but even so, she had too many cameo appearances from characters in her other novels.
Mel
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for "Devil to Pay" by Jeaniene Frost and it is the only novella I read.
Katherine 黄爱芬
The Irish Duke by Cathy Maxwell
Awal cerita lumayan, sayang kandas di ending dgn begitu mudahnya Miss Rogers menyerahkan diri.

The Duke who Count to Dinner by Elaine Fox
Ingat legenda Jaka Tarub mencuri selendang bidadari sehingga tidak bisa kembali ke kahyangan? Nah, ini versi modern-nya. Bedanya, yg nyolong baju ceweknya adalah seekor anjing. So-so saja ceritanya.

Deal to Pay by Jeaniene Frost
Terbaik dari semua anthology di novel ini.
Blake sudah tidak berniat hidup lagi krn tubuhnya dirasuki oleh
Dana Etain (Thana A-dean)
This is going to be short. I liked the first story. Tolerated the second one. Enjoyed the third. Thought the fourth was splended. And the fifth was spectacular.

My biggest complaint is that the five stories weren't all set in the same time. I've only ever read one other book like this but all those stories took place during the same time period. It really threw me for a loop when the first story was in Jane Austin England and the second in modern somewhere in America (or close I don't recall for
Anastasiaadamov
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a collection of five short stories
"Irish Duke" 2,5*
"Duke Who Came to Dinner" 2,5*
"Devil to Pay" 4*
"Catch of the Century" 3,5*
"Charmed by Her Smile" 3*

I havent been paying attention to the authors of the stories when I first started this book.
I was plesantly surprissed with third story being Jeannine Frost story. Her Night Huntress books are on my TBR for a while now and I never seem to get to them. This story showed me what to expect and I liked it.
First story was not bad but I guess it
Gemma
This was an odd grouping of stories, not much of a common theme. Three regencies, a contemporary, and a paranormal. Not all had a duke (in one book, the duke was a dog named duke!) Most too short to really get a feel for the characters before they were over.

I enjoyed Devil to Pay by Jeaniene Frost even though I rarely read paranormal.

My favourite was Charmed by Her Smile by Tracy Anne Warren (the story I bought the book for).
Lindsay
I've never read general romance before (if that's what you call this genre), and am usually an urban fiction sort. The five short stories were an odd combination. Four stories that had something to do with a duke, ranging from period romance to haunted houses, then a random break for a story about vampires and a demon. Each story was decent, but I don't know how the publisher came up with this particular compilation.
Katrina Berry
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though the series has ended doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate the love and dedication that Ms. Frost continues to put into it by giving us these lovely novellas to keep our cravings fed. Some characters are new-to-us while others we’ve had glimpses of in prior stories. This is nicely done with endearing characters and a short but complete story. Of course, getting the opportunity to read more about Cat and Bones makes it even better.
Cs
I really liked the excerpt from Maxwell, Nash, and Warren. Maxwell was actually the reason I bought it in the first place.
The book by Fox wasn't my usual taste in books, but it wasn't bad. However, I basically skimmed over the garbage included by Frost. This book would have been given more than 3 stars had Devil to Pay been excluded from the book.
Gail
Nice anthology. Some historical, one contemporary, one with vampires, all good reads. I liked it.
Sara Jo
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent compilation but the story by Frost was dreadful after a page or two so I skipped it entirely. Not sure why it was in with a bunch of Regency novellas.
Maudley
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's great to find the novellas that fill in the blanks as well as being enjoyable reads on their own. Thank you.
Stephanie Paulino
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid collection and a good mix of stories. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend.
TinaMarie
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
  • Weddings from Hell
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • Haunted by Your Touch  (Doomsday Brethren #3.5, Moon Chasers, #4.5)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Otherworld Stories)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • At the Duke's Pleasure (The Byrons of Braebourne, #3)
  • Nocturnal
  • Death's Excellent Vacation (Sookie Stackhouse #9.5, Night Huntress, #4.5, Sept Dragons #7.5)
  • Mother, Please!: What a Girl Wants / The Road Home / Upstairs, Downstairs
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea #3.5; Psy-Changeling #0.6; Iron Seas #0.5)
  • Velvet, Leather & Lace: A Man's Gotta Do\Calling the Shots\Baring It All
  • Phoenix Noir
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)
  • Mysteria (Mysteria, #1)
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Lords of Desire
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell

The Byrons of Braebourne (5 books)
  • Tempted by His Kiss (The Byrons of Braebourne, #1)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • At the Duke's Pleasure (The Byrons of Braebourne, #3)
  • Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4)
  • The Bed and the Bachelor (The Byrons of Braeborne, #5)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Four Swans: A Novel of Cornwall, 1795-1797 (Poldark)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Choice
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Silver Linings Playbook
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
“I'll miss you forever.'
Blake - Devil To Pay”
16 likes
“Because in the end, the measure of a well-lived life is not titles or riches. It’s not even measured by the people we please, especially at the cost of our own souls. No, the true measure of a well-lived life is how well we love…and how well we are loved in return.” 9 likes