Start by marking “The Time of the Witch” as Want to Read:
The Time of the Witch

The Time of the Witch

"In an unusually convincing blend of the supernatural and the real, twelve-year-old Laura tries to prevent her parents' impending divorce by seeking the help of an older woman who may be a witch...."-Horn Book

It is the middle of the night and suddenly Laura is awake, trembling with fear. Just beneath her bedroom window, a strange-looking old woman is standing in the moonli
Published September 1st 1991 by HarperCollins (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Time of the Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time of the Witch

Start your review of The Time of the Witch
Brooke
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Sometimes what you wish for isn't worth coming true. Sometimes, things are just better off left alone.

That's the central lesson our MC, Laura, learns here. She & her younger brother, Jason, are sent off to rural West Virginia to live with their aunt Grace for the summer while their parents are learning to go their separate ways after a divorce ensues. Naturally, both children are very upset with this decision & Laura cannot come to terms with the separation. Rather, she wishes that her parents
Teri Gorleski
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Eden
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Laura and Jason are spending the summer at their Aunt Grace's house while their Mother goes back to school. Laura's not happy about spending the summer at her Aunt's house, she's not happy that her parents are getting a divorce. Why can't everything just stay the same? She so badly wants everything to stay the same. And it seems Laura will get her wish, if she lets Maude, who is supposedly a witch, help her.

I was really having a hard time deciding what rating to give this book. I decided on a 3,
Karen
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Not the best of Mary Downing Hahn. I like it, but I don't know that everyone would. The main girl, whose name escapes me, moves with her brother and mother to the country. Do they live with her grandmother? Can't remember. The crazy old woman who lives nearby takes a strange interest in the girl. As it turns out, the girl looks quite a lot like her grandmother did when she was young, and the crazy old woman (who is a witch) has a personal vendetta against the grandmother. Woooot.
Mackenzie RM
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When I was little I was constantly reading this book. But I'd always stop at a random part and never finish reading it. Finally a few years ago, I finished it. It was amazing. I admit at the age of 8 or 9 this book creeped me out. But it was a really good read. And hopefully, if I get the time I'd like to read it again. :)
Kathryn
Mar 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
I did not like this book at all. It was uninteresting and at times boring. The book didn't even seem to try to be interesting. I believe if the backstory of the witch's relationship with the family was delved into more it would have been a lot better. Instead, it was only alluded to over and over again leaving me bored. I had a hard time making myself finish it.
Karina
Mar 01, 2010 rated it liked it
I know read this one also, but don't remember how much I liked it, so I'm giving it 3 stars.
Celeste
Jun 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Kind of creepy
Courtney Maenner
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book back when I was in middle school and I remember thinking it was pretty scary, but loving it nonetheless.
Stephanie
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This one sparked my love for books when I was 9 or 10.
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Not one of Mary Downing Hahn's best.
Cassie
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Still loved this one, 20 years after I first read it. Atmospheric, great characters, and really good writing.
Amanda Makepeace
Loved this book as a child and it was my first autographed book. I remember thinking how cool it was that an author came to our school. It still sits on my shelf. :)
... ;)
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a fourth grader, I loved it.
Donna
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was fun to read. I liked the atmospheric setting in the forests of West Virginia. It was one of her earlier books, first published when I was two years old. How times have changed since then!
Twyla
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: auryn-s-books
my favourite part was when Laura accepted that her parents weren't going to stop the divorce. My least favourite part was when Maude made Jason sick to get back at Laura's grandmother. My favourite character was Twyla because she helped to stop Maude and break the spells she had previously cast. My least favourite character was Maude, because she tricked Laura into helping her make everyone in Laura's family miserable.
Becky
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of elementary level books about witches like Witch's Sister by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. The Time of the Witch has a witch, a spooky atmosphere, a sympathetic protagonist- her parents are divorcing and she and her little brother are staying the summer with their eccentric aunt- and suspense appropriate for fifth grader or older. Recommended!
Anna
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a 10-11 yr old! So much so, that I had to buy it for my now 10 year old and I re-read it!
Miranda
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: grace-reads
3.5 rounded up. 9 y/o Grace's rating.
Karla Lohaus-fast
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This one was way scarier than I thought it would be. Pretty dark, but very good!
Lynn K.
The moral of this coming of age story is 'Be careful what you wish for.'
Kara Rutledge
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great story. Very well written. Recommend for kids 8-12.
Melissa
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read this as a child and loved that it was set in West Virginia, my home state.
Seddy
Apr 28, 2019
Jeana Poole
Jan 26, 2018

• Framed! (Framed #1)
  • The Dark Corners of the Night (UNSUB, #3)
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
  • Peter And The Scarecrows (Story #35) (Peter And The Monsters)
  • My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1)
  • A Seal Called Andre: The Two Worlds Of A Maine Harbor Seal
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • We Ride Upon Sticks
  • Sissy: A Coming-of-Gender Story
  • The House Witch: Your Complete Guide to Creating a Magical Space with Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home
  • The Canyon's Edge
  • The Small Hand
  • Danse Macabre
  • Green Witchcraft: A Practical Guide to Discovering the Magic of Plants, Herbs, Crystals, and Beyond
  • The Lions of Little Rock
  • My Babysitter Has Fangs (My Babysitter is a Vampire, #2)
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t ...more