Start by marking “Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man” as Want to Read:
Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man

Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man

An urgent primer on race and racism, from the host of the viral hit video series
“Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man”

“You cannot fix a problem you do not know you have.” So begins Emmanuel Acho in his essential guide to the truths Americans need to know to address the systemic racism that has recently electrified protests in all fifty states. “There is a fix,” Ach
Published November 10th 2020 by Flatiron Books: An Oprah Book

To ask other readers questions about Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man, please sign up.
Shannon Quinn I would say it expands on the questions and information he has mentioned in his videos as well as discusses more topics. I have watched all of the vid…moreI would say it expands on the questions and information he has mentioned in his videos as well as discusses more topics. I have watched all of the videos as well, and I still took a lot from this book. (less)

Start your review of Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man
Jenna
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"For all of you who lack an honest black friend in your life, consider me that friend. My arms are open wide, friends. My heart, too."

With these words, Emmanuel Acho invites us to the table, invites white people to pull up a chair and join the conversation about race and racism, knowing we won't get anywhere until we have these uncomfortable conversations.

Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man is Racism 101 and can be read alongside other beginners such as So You Want to Talk About Race an
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

If we can truly integrate white people and black people together, working in tandem, that’s when our world will make its joyful noise.

My non-reading husband was actually the one to turn me on to this title last week when it was released. Unfortunately for him, the wait list for the hard copy is about eleventy trillion long, but yay me I got first dibs on the Kindle version : ) He has settled for watching the videos (on You Tube????
Brandice
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Emmanuel Acho takes on questions about cultural appropriation, white privilege, and more in Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man. Despite being a big sports fan, I only recently heard of Emmanuel Acho this summer when he began releasing his video series (same title as this book) following the murder of George Floyd.

“The thing is, one can never just judge racism on an individual level alone. It’s also historic and systemic — remember, white people will always have that several-century he
melhara
December 10, 2020 Review:

I finally got my hands on the audiobook and it was just as good as I thought it'd be!

I was a bit worried that the book would simply rehash all the conversations from Emmanuel Acho's YouTube series. While there was some overlap, Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man was written to compliment (or serve as an addendum of sorts) to the video series (but don't worry - you don't need to watch any of the videos before reading the book!).

This book is aimed primarily
Carmel Hanes
Feb 10, 2021 rated it liked it
I heard Acho interviewed by Brene Brown and decided to read his book as a follow-up. I've read a number of books detailing our continuing battle to truly become "one race, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all" (yes I changed those words on purpose), and have often learned something or been reminded of why what I do matters.

Much of what Acho shares are things covered in those previous books, but where many of them are more "academic" in nature, filled with historical references, definit
Brian
Jan 09, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
I came to this book after having watched some of the titular videos on YouTube. They were interesting, but not as pointed as this work. Let me be clear from the outset: Emmanuel Acho is wrong. Dead wrong. Loud wrong. He’s swallowed and digested critical race theory (see the recommendations section of this book) and regurgitated it into a mainstream title. All the lingo is here: cultural appropriation, white privilege, systemic racism, implicit bias.

As a Christian, he gives no evidence he unders
Korrie’s Korner
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-voices
I wish every non poc person would read and absorb this book!

“If things go the way I want, you will leave this book with an increased understanding of race. You will have more empathy and grant people more grace. And if you have more empathy and are more gracious, then you’ll be less judgmental. And if you’re less judgmental, then your judgment is less likely to play itself out in racism.”

This book is by far one of the best I’ve read on the subject of racism. Emmanuel Acho has such a non threaten
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Very nice listen! RTC
Beedoh
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
I want to preface this by saying I completely support the initiatives that Acho advocates for, but the quality of the writing made the book that much harder to read. I felt the need to write a review because I was hoping to read this book to gain some insight on the complexity of racism, but I was disappointed when the book's villain was virtually just white people... something we've all heard before. I'm not white and even I felt the conviction of white people in this book is strong. I think an ...more
farith
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
a strong and very straightforward book.

review to come.
booknerdbobbie
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was SO good! It's a necessary read and was sectioned in a cohesive way. Acho did a wonderful job putting things/topics ingti perspective and I appreciated all the resources provided at the end of each chapter. It's a great way to keep readers going in learning how to be an ally. ...more
Cathy
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Emmanuel Acho’s book is full of the same rhetoric as other books I’ve read. His Instagram series was much better. There were hints in the Insta videos, but this book is full blown Critical Race Theory and identity politics. He had some good statements and recognitions, thus the 2 stars, whereas other books I’ve read in this genre received 1 star. His style is conversational and not militant like other books I’ve read. I read this entire book.
He states in the introduction he hopes we will have an
Yodamom
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I have been clueless. I thought I knew, thought I understood. I knew nothing, understood less. This was an eye opening, no heart opening read. It touches of some basic racial inequalities and looks at cultural histories. There were many recommendations on books to read, movements to join, ways to help stop racism. Questions from white people to a black man. What would you ask ? What would you like to understand ?
I listened to the audio for this. I loved it I felt like I was sitting down with hi
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man is written by a Black man answering white people's questions about race-related issues.

Each chapter opens up with a question that was submitted to Mr. Acho by a curious white person who wants more information about something related to racism or cultural appropriation.

*Should I teach my kids to see color?
*How can I have white privilege if I'm not wealthy?
*When does style become cultural appropriation?

Before this book, Emmanual Acho started an Instag
Jennifer Schultz
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read if you: Want a no-holds-barred, reflective, and invigorating read about the current crisis and state of race relations in the US.

Librarians/booksellers: This series may already be popular with some of your patrons/customers. You don't need to have watched the series before reading this. It's a great title for those that want to read current race-related titles, but are intimidated by the longer titles.

Many thanks to Flatiron Books and NetGalley for a digital review copy in exchange for an
Julie
The book blurb calls this a primer on race and racism and it's exactly that. Acho is such a nice guy and does a great job addressing some of the toughest issues facing our country right now. Not much will be new if you're well-read on these issues, but I believe you'll still appreciate Acho's straightforward style and his addition of many personal experiences that relate to racism.

Terrific narration by Acho for the audiobook!
chantel nouseforaname
Emmanuel Acho wrote this for the white folks he knows and I'm not mad at it one bit. It is the most comprehensive, non-scholarly but doesn't need to be scholarly, look into why and how white people can cut the fuckshit on this racism garbage.

Anyone who says they can't learn something out this book is a damn liar.

Maybe you won't like the way that he explains things, I think he did a phenomenal job. He sets the scene currently, takes you back in time, makes you get uncomfortable (not me, as a Bl
Vegetarian Reads
Dec 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Good intentions, horrible executions. There's really no way around it.
This book was trying to include white people in 'the conversation' while simultaneously showing the ways in which they need to be better. And it failed. Miserably.
For starters, and perhaps most importantly, I feel like this book tried way too hard to say "Hey White people, good, beautiful white people, racists, and your uncles too! Come to the cookout--fill your plate up with greens, BBQ ribs, Mac & Cheese, and pull up a chai
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
It’s not that uncomfortable. It’s like a talk amongst friends with caring and compassion. A very conversational and practical.
Carrie Nation
This book is best suited as an introduction to topics of race, class, and equity for those white folks who have ignored the conversation for much of their lives. Acho frames each chapter around a question, mixing in personal experience with a quick overview of historical context and the contemporary moment before moving to the action items. He cites and references a number of veteran authors in the space and plugs key resources to check out afterwards.

This is an excellent gift for a white frien
David
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: race, _own
This is actually a very comfortable discussion about uncomfortable topics. 'Manny' Acho writes in his speaking voice, which has a lot of common sense to it. The text is backed up with quick statistics where appropriate, but this is an unencumbered read. For not having footnotes, the appendix of Resources is a 26 page goldmine of recommendations: books, essays, movies, podcasts, music, websites, list to "Do", followed by many internet references.

Fifteen questions drive the chapters.
Question - wit
Wil C. Fry
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is a quick and painless read, which I recommend.

For the apparent intended audience (white people still grappling with whether racism exists or whether they benefit from it), this book makes a great primer/introduction to the many related topics it covers. There’s just enough historical background, just enough statistics, just enough personal anecdotes, and just enough “Hey, I’m a nice guy; let’s talk about it” vibe that it’s possible Acho can point some people in the right direction with th

Emily
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Very accessible and practicable. An adult book, but I would recommend it to teens as well.
Gary Moreau
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emmanuel Acho is the son of Nigerian immigrants who went on to play in the NFL, became a popular television sports analyst, and started an online video series with the same name as this book. And, I must admit, I’ve never heard of him. I’m much older, white, and watch little NFL football.

I was, however, intrigued by the title of this book, in part because I have always found every occasion with the greatest opportunity to teach us about ourselves just a little uncomfortable. And like a lot of p
Dinah Moore
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is informative and thought provoking .
I was happy that implicit bias, culture appropriation, systemic racism, White privilege, the need for BLM, and the phrase “defund the police” were all addressed. I think a lot of people are misinformed about these topics .
I also love that he included so many recommendations for further reading/learning.

“If we can truly integrate white people and black people together, working in tandem, that’s when our world will make a joyful noise.”
Anne Earney
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio book, read by the author. Very informative and entertaining. It covers a lot of the same material as many of the other anti-racism books, but from a slightly different angle, and Acho is easy to listen to, with a casual and fun style.
Jeimy
Dec 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I know nothing about football, but the author was a football player who now appears on Fox Sports. I don't think he contributed anything new to the conversations about race, but hopefully his background will bring new people to the table and enlighten them. ...more
Mina
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Necessary uncomfortable conversations that need to be had.
Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket
I have been listening to Emmanuel Acho’s Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man series on IG from the start. To say that I was excited to get my hands on more words from this incredibly insightful and thoughtful man, it’s pretty much a complete understatement. I have loved watching and listening to his video series because they have made me think, they have made me question, they have made me check my own privileges. I was so excited to learn more, to keep having those uncomfortable conver ...more
Kelly Hooker
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book arose after the viral success of Emmanuel Acho’s video series of the same name. It is written in a highly accessible way and is essentially an FAQ from white people. Acho is in a unique position to address these questions as he states he is “fluent” in black and white cultures. His essays are grace-filled and important. Highly recommend.

• The Children's Train
  • Invisible Girl
  • Venus in the Blind Spot
  • The Tanglewood Tea Shop (Tanglewood Village #1)
  • The Rib King
  • Strange Bedfellows: Adventures in the Science, History, and Surprising Secrets of STDs
  • Floating in a Most Peculiar Way: A Memoir
  • The Chanel Sisters
  • Scones & Bones (A Tea Shop Mystery, #12)
  • The Lying Life of Adults
  • The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness
  • Color Me In
  • Agony of the Leaves (A Tea Shop Mystery, #13)
  • Once We Were Here
  • A Place For Everything: The Curious History of Alphabetical Order
  • Tales From the Hinterland (The Hazel Wood, #2.5)
  • Dog Flowers: A Memoir
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11

News & Interviews

“The beautiful thing about the piano is that you got white keys and you got black keys. And the only way to make the most beautiful, magnificent, and poetic noise is with both sets of keys working in tandem. You can’t just play all white keys, because you won’t maximize what the instrument has to offer. You can’t just play all black keys, because you won’t maximize what the instrument has to offer. But integrate the white and black keys together, and that is when the piano makes a joyful noise.” 4 likes
“Those of us who know our whites know one thing above all else: whiteness defends itself. Against change, against progress, against hope, against black dignity, against black lives, against reason, against truth, against facts, against native claims, against its own laws and customs. —TRESSIE MCMILLAN COTTOM” 1 likes