Start by marking “Dead Man in a Ditch (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man in a Ditch (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #2)

Dead Man in a Ditch

(The Fetch Phillips Archives #2)

Fetch Philips has nothing left to believe in. Which is why he's surprised when the people of Sunder City start to believe in him...

Rumour has it that Fetch is only one who can bring magic back into the world. So when a man is murdered in a way that can only be explained as magical, Fetch is brought in on the case. A case which just might unearth things best left buried...

T
Published September 22nd 2020 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man in a Ditch, please sign up.

Start your review of Dead Man in a Ditch (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #2)
Petrik
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review.

It feels good to be back in Sunder City.

I can’t be the only one who thinks that the concept of time is utterly broken this year. When I was reading Dead Man in a Ditch, the second book in The Fetch Phillips Archives by Luke Arnold, I was surprised to find myself still remembering a lot of details from the first book. Turns out that I read The Last Smile in Sunder City back in January. That is wild to me, I genuinely thought I w
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Such an addicting read that was impossible to put down. Compared to the first one which had it's slower moments, this sequel is a constantly moving roller coaster ride. There were so many different scenes crammed into this book, I feel like I've read 10. ...more
TS Chan
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review-copy
Dead Man in a Ditch continued the compelling tale of Fetch Phillips and Sunder City, and I welcomed its melancholic embrace.

Ah, Fetch Phillips - could there ever be a main protagonist that make you feel so torn between forgiving, or forsaking him for the utterly devastating mistake that he made in a rush of poorly managed emotions. Maybe there was but I've yet to come across one like him in my reads so far. I, for one, am sympathetic to his plight. How many of us really could lay claim to not ha
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
“But Sunder City makes a few things without fail: hunger in winter, drunks at night and trouble all year round.”

Picking up a few months after The Last Smile of Sunder City ended, nothing much has changed for Fetch Phillips ‘Man For Hire’, but he is about to learn that his beloved adopted home, Sunder City, has been changing around him in Dead Man in a Ditch, the second urban fantasy novel from Luke Arnold.

When Fetch is asked by the police to examine a dead body in the Bluebird Lounge, and stunne
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
I’m not an urban fantasy fan. It isn’t one of my favourite or ‘go-to‘ genres, but I loved Arnold’s debut The Last Smile in Sunder City and I was thrilled to be back in the grime of Sunder City and the melancholic embrace of Fetch Phillips in Dead Man in a Ditch.

Six years ago a devastating event that has come to be known as ‘the Coda’ killed magic, like flipping a switch, in an instant it was gone, disappearing from the world in an instant. Humans had hoped to harness magic for themselves, taking
Zandt McCue
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I don't believe in second chances. I don't believe you can undo what was done. But if I didn't believe I still had it in me to do something good, I would have jumped out the Angel door a long time ago."

In the sequel to Luke Arnold's debut novel, he writes the story I would expect and then slaps me in the face for getting too cocky. And this after I wrote his parents that lovely letter!

For his first novel I was caught up in the joy of reading it but for this read-through, I took tons of notes an
Diana
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Hiu Gregg
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one more than the first! It flowed a lot better, in my opinion, and gave a greater sense of the (evolving) world and the characters. Full review will hopefully drop within the week! ...once I write it.
Liz Barnsley
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Smile in Sunder City was one of my favourite novels, a sprawling imaginative urban fantasy – so immersing myself back into that world was something I’d been looking forward to for a while.

Dead Man In A Ditch is once again pretty awesome, we are back with erstwhile hero Fetch Phillips, in a land devoid of magic and of hope. His own hand in what happened haunts him still and often gets him into trouble. He is an engaging character on so many levels and that plus the cleverly drawn setting
Laura (crofteereader)
I love this world and I really like Fetch for a main character, through whose eyes we get to see this world, but this story felt much more scattered than The Last Smile in Sunder City - with a series of small fragments scattered into the larger story (but, like, front-loaded), and even though they do end up being important, it made it harder to get into the story in the beginning.

I will say that Fetch's growth and the choices he has to make as a human surrounded by formerly-magical beings and ne
Michelle Sedai of the Brown Ajah
Sadly, this one just didn't connect as well as the last book. It seemed like it was trying to be all action and make up for what could have been perceived as slowness in the first book, with all of the first book's worldbuilding and getting to know the characters. But the first book was around 350 pages and not actually slow, considering the low page count and there being a mystery to solve in addition to worldbuilding. So this was a bit too much in the opposite direction to make me happy. I'm n ...more
Shaitanah
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex Meese
Maria
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This book was better than the first. I liked it so much! 🌟✨

Fetch is now with out a doubt my new favourite fantasy sleuth.
Ben Aaronovitch and Jim Butcher - move aside. Luke Arnold takes the lead!

Seriously, I gobbled up everything in this book. The plot was good, the characters intriguing, the mystery interesting and the world building continued to be new and fresh. I hope this grows into a proper series with at least a bunch of more books. (As long as the quality of the stories stay high. This is
Leanne
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love the world Luke Arnold has created, where magical creatures have been stripped of their power, but continue to roam the planet. It’s just such a refreshing take on the urban fantasy genre, and Fetch, the protagonist, is such a delightful, morally ambiguous character.

In this sequel, Fetch has another job ti find a missing person. As usual, he meets lots of interesting characters (creatures?), and battles with his own regrets over his past actions. He is tired and full of self loathing. I l
RG
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great follow-up in this urban fantasy noir. We learn a little more about the world, some progression occurs with the overall story of the loss of magic. I just love the grittiness of this world. Dont skip book 1, this wont make sense without it. The start was a little slow as it just felt like a bunch of smaller stories or crimes, however about halfway through it slowly unravelled anr became a little clearer.

Fun dialgoue and characters, a solid sense of world building which should only get bet
Connie
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A local 'big man' has hired Fetch Phillips to find the killer of his brother. Fetch doesn't work for humans, but takes the case when it looks like the murderer used magic. As Fetch delves deeper he comes face to face with a ghost from his past.
This is the follow up to The Last Smile in Sunder City. It's a fast paced Urban fantasy, that's dark and gritty.
I hope there will be more.
Elizabeth Tabler
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Man in a Ditch, Luke Arnold’s second book in the Fetch Phillips Archive, is a devastating and unforgiving story about redemption and regret that will keep you wanting more. It is a story that demonstrates why a single mistake can haunt you for a lifetime.

“I tried to bite my tongue but after years of exercise it had learned to fight back.”

Fetch Phillps, the main protagonist of the story, is a complete contradiction. He is a character that makes you be both repelled by his prickly personalit
Terry
I must read this as soon as it's available, the very first chance I get...
The first book was a wonderful experience and I imagine this one will be too.
Can't wait for more Fetch, more Sunder City and its inhabitants.
Jordan
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

It feels like just yesterday that I was reading The Last Smile in Sunder City and I hadn't realized quite how much I enjoyed and missed Fetch Phillips and Sunder City until I cracked open Dead Man in a Ditch and immediately fell back into this world. There's something dark around the edges of this world that's met with a bit of sorrow and regret, but also with an oddly uplifting message that leaves me yearning for this world.

The Fetch Phillips Arch
WS_BOOKCLUB
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This is the sequel to The Last Smile in Sunder City. You can find my review for that book here. Dead Man in a Ditch will be available on September 22nd.

Dead Man in a Ditch picks up pretty much right after the end of book one. I expected this series to be rather episodic, to be honest, each book being a case that Fetch Phillips finds himself caught up in. Instead, the series has a continuing story-line, back
S.J. Higbee
It starts well – I very quickly felt right back at home in this grim, noirish city where everything is a bleaker, more tattered version of itself because Magic has now disappeared. I settled into the first two adventures well enough. Though wincing somewhat as Fetch seems to take far more than his fair share of beatings, and I felt suitably sympathetic at his angst and guilt. But…

It’s a longish book at well over 400 pages, and generally that sort of length doesn’t bother me – but just about the
Blue
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more...
Bookstagram

Website

Thank you Hachette for this book in exchange for an honest review

OMG.
To say I was excited to read this book is a complete understatement!! I have been hanging out for this book for what seems like FOREVER! I adored the first book, actually scratch that, I worshiped the first book. And without a world of a lie, Dead Man in a Ditch, did not disappoint in the slightest! Which is epic within itself because usually the second book in any series,
Regardless, can
gelowmichael
Thank you, Orbit, for the digital copy in for exchange an honest review.

I love The Last Smile in Sunder City especially Fetch Phillips as the main protagonist in this series. I liked that Fetch's character is either problematic, thoughtful, kind, aggressive and literally out of his mind. His character has so many flaws and struggles which makes him a good protagonist in this series. Fetch seems to be very human in a fictional and magical setting.

Dead Man in a Ditch tackles the deep problem o
Nathalie
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This sequel is kind of the same as the first one, but flows better. Less info-dumpy, less flashbacks. Still as enjoyable.
Again, the world building stands out.
Otherwise, I still feel the same as I did with the first one. I wouldn't count it among my favorites but the potential to be more is there.
Debbie
I liked this one better than the first (although I gave them both three stars) - Fetch was such a sad sack in book one - he is in this one too but at least he makes a decision for himself and acts on it- I will probably give a third book a try.
Caleb
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost wish I hadn’t given the previous book in this series 5 stars, just so this was more impactful. This does such a good job of exploring the world its predecessor set up. And not just physically exploring new areas, which this does, but exploring what would happen in a world like this, where people are desperate to reclaim a lost past, and those looking to change the future. Really well done sequel, and just like the previous book, I’m really looking forward to more in the series.
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Thank you so much to Hachette Australia for providing me with a copy of Dead Man in a Ditch in exchange for an honest review!

I absolutely loved The Last Man in Sunder City and was over the moon to receive the ARC for the second book! Luke Arnold proves again that he can spins a tale like no other, and the brilliance of his first book was no fluke. The snarky, self depreciating wit in these books speaks to my very soul.

Dead Man in a Ditch picks up where the first book left off. Fetch is still mak
Runalong
Nov 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this though not quite as well paced as the debut story but clearly setting up an interesting confrontation for later in the series

Full review - https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
Keary Birch
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
Don't get me wrong. I love the style of writing. The imagery is great. The characters are sympathetic. But please have the hero do something, not just be done to.

Getting better.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Canni
  • Call of the Bone Ships (The Tide Child #2)
  • The Forest God
  • The Wrack
  • Until Summer Comes Around
  • Boyfriend Material
  • Radio Silence
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection (Rivers of London #1.5, 1.6, 4.6, 5.65, 6.5)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • What Abigail Did That Summer (Rivers of London, #5.3)
  • Corduroy
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • You Are Invited
  • The Only Good Indians
  • The Other People
  • The Unfinished Land
  • Macbeth (Hogarth Shakespeare)

The Fetch Phillips Archives (2 books)
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives #1)