Start by marking “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man” as Want to Read:
Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man

Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  74,479 ratings  ·  10,783 reviews
In this revelatory, authoritative portrait of Donald J. Trump and the toxic family that made him, Mary L. Trump, a trained clinical psychologist and Donald’s only niece, shines a bright light on the dark history of their family in order to explain how her uncle became the man who now threatens the world’s health, economic security, and social fabric.

Mary Trump spent much o
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 236 pages
Published July 14th 2020 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Too Much and Never Enough, please sign up.
Sheila Landry I think it is. I just finished it. It seems to focus more on her dad (Freddy) than Donald, but it certainly gives insight to the demographics of the f…moreI think it is. I just finished it. It seems to focus more on her dad (Freddy) than Donald, but it certainly gives insight to the demographics of the family. I didn't think it was over-dramatic or that things were done for shock value, as we see evidence of the resulting behavior every day.

Is the viewpoint skewed? Probably a bit. It would be difficult to be objective having lived through things and seeing the result of certain behaviors from different family members. Much of what is discussed is what the author witnessed in her young life. As children, we see things from a different perspective. We remember things that have affected us the most. Sometimes our memories magnify the most significant moments. But that doesn't mean that these things didn't happen or aren't true. It attests to the impact.

It is a bleak, sad account of quite a dysfunctional family. Again - as I see the result of the family, I find it very believable.

(less)
Cecily Many GoodReaders get ARCs (advanced review copies) before release, from companies like NetGalley: they get a free book in return for posting a review.…moreMany GoodReaders get ARCs (advanced review copies) before release, from companies like NetGalley: they get a free book in return for posting a review.
That's unlikely to be the case of a book that will probably be embargoed until publication date. But it's the more usual reason for reviews of unpublished books. (less)

·  74,479 ratings  ·  10,783 reviews

Start your review of Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

In TOO MUCH AND NEVER ENOUGH, Mary L. Trump draws a detailed portrait of the Trump family pathologies with the intimacy of a psychological case study-- which makes sense, considering that she's a clinical psychologist. Her even-keeled, neutral (for the most part) tone make the irrational behaviors of the people in this book seem even more abhorrent by comparison. The occasional sarcastic aside is just icing on the cake.

I wasn't too sure
Roxane
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is written well enough but there is no new information here. Most of the book focuses on Fred Trump Sr (trash) and Fred Jr, the author’s dad whose story is quite sad. The whole family is very terrible! Donald is a blathering moron. The best parts are when she eviscerates him and tells us what we already know—that he is the literal worst person, and the least competent man. She seems to have empathy for him. Fuck that. Lots of people have asshole fathers and they manage not to destroy the wo ...more
Miranda Reads
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn.

A Trump-tell-all that he's desperately trying to block publication of?

You have my full, undivided attention.

UPDATE

Holy shit. It was good.
Elyse  Walters
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Or

Isn’t that a question many of us around the world have been curious about? The book was released at midnight-July 14th....
I’d bet ‘thousands’ of people ( like myself), have already finished it.

I’ve got to take some personal inventory: “why did I feel an urgency? obsession? desire? to read this book today?
It’s easy to quickly come up with answers as to why I rushed to read it....
But perhaps it’s more valuable to sit with the question longer.

Fact is....
Trump’s bizarre
Jeanette (Ms. Feisty)

Look at that photo. He's been doing the same stupid shit with his hair all his life. What a dork.

The current administration has engendered an entirely new category of creativity as we all struggle to find outlets for our rage and sorrow and fear of the future. I'm no Randy Rainbow, but here's my humble contribution to the new rage genre, with apologies to the lovely Miss Linda Ronstadt.

If you're not familiar with the original song and you'd like to sing along, here's the inimitable chanteuse's
Mario the lone bookwolf
A shocking insiders´ autobiographical story of epigenetic in action, opening the question of where to go with ethics and morality if one has no chance to choose on from the beginning, with an absentminded, ill mother just interested in her own suffering and a sociopathic father Trump has become himself too.

It´s vicious, the author shows how the influence of the elder generations formed a climate that was a dark caricature of what family should mean, the opposite of what someone needs to become
Justin Tate
Jul 18, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Who could have predicted that a Trump presidency would lead to 200,000+ dead Americans and staggering unemployment?! Mary L. Trump and—oh yeah, anyone.

I haven't read one of these trendy political exposés since Fire and Fury but somehow Mary's book enticed me. Her interviews have suggested the book might include racist rants over Thanksgiving turkey or other squabbles revealing Donald as even more villainous than how he behaves in public.

Unfortunately it's not like that. Not at all. Donald is bar
Michael Perkins
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Video shown at the Trump impeachment trial....

=======================

The first sentence of Leo Tolstoy’s novel Anna Karenina is: “Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” I would modernize the second half and say: “every dysfunctional family is dysfunctional in its own way.” And then add “and always destructive to the children."

My family of origin was about as dysfunctional as the Trumps, though not in the exact way. M
Cecily

Why read another Trump book?

I swore I was done with books about the Trump regime until they can be written with the long lens of 20 years’ hindsight.

But this is by a family member (DJT’s niece) with a PhD in clinical psychology. Clearly she’s not impartial (she blames her grandfather and uncle for her fa
Greta
Aug 08, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not based on facts and nothing more than a one sided and unreliable hate speech.

If Donald Trump revers to this book as "Fake News" or "Blasphemy" I can’t really blame him- and I am someone who doesn’t support Trump

Book Content

The book is basically a commented chronological biography of the Trump family as a way to shed light on their dynamics and financials. In my opinion it’s completely obsolete, but for those interested I will provide a short summary of its content, before I explain why I dis
Will Byrnes
As my father lay dying, Donald went to the movies. If he can in any way profit from your death, he’ll facilitate it, and then he’ll ignore the fact that you died.
So, you think your family’s nuts?

Usually we have to wait for historians to delve back through the years of a president’s life, digging through letters and writings, interviewing any who might have interacted with them, checking their letters and writings, to cull relevant bits, suss out impactful events, discern motivations and und
Lexi
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do you nurture a sociopath?

If you were not aware, this book is written by Donald Trump's niece Mary. It is a VERY short book, but it is very good.

So let's break down a little bit about what this book is exactly. You aren't going to find any state secrets here. For anyone asking "Why Didn't Mary speak out earlier", this is addresses, but this is isn't a political expose. At it's heart, Too Much and Never Enough is a story about an extremely twisted family, that is much about the other Trumps
Katie
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite horror novels of 2020.
Dr. Appu Sasidharan
Summary (Throwback Review)
This is a book written by Mary L. Trump about her family. She ventilates the life of her grandfather Fred Trump Sr., her father, Fred Trump Jr., and Donald Trump and other members of her family. She chronicles how the family succeeded in the real estate business and how Donald Trump took over the family business and how he became the American President and what was the family members response to it and do they consider his Presidential stint with revere or with ign
Jonetta
I’ve been reluctant to read books about Donald Trump because I didn’t think I’d learn anything beyond what I already know. But, I don’t know a lot about the Trump family, where he came from. I remember watching The Apprentice years ago, trying to figure out who this guy was because when I lived in Manhattan, he wasn’t a force in the true business community (my professional backyard). It didn’t take long for me to figure out from the show that something was missing from the business acumen. For m ...more
Lori
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, reviewed
review still to come, Trump, of your "stacked" niece's book --
10/12/20: Breaking news! Review will not come.
I'm so tired of The Mask of the Orange Death I can't bear to review this terrific book.
Full of inside family background and useful info on the sleazebuckets.
Glad I read it.
That is all.
Marchpane
Too close and not close enough

This book won’t tell you much that you didn’t already know about the current U.S. president—his personality, his psychological makeup—the man’s not exactly a closed book.

But that’s not this book’s purpose. The author isn’t concerned so much with the ‘what’ as the ‘why and how’. As a psychologist she naturally places the locus of this question with Donald’s family, upbringing and formative years.

Finding the answers is tricky—you need someone who 1) has access to the
Richard Derus
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: returned
First and foremost, this book is *NOT* a takedown of 45. It is *NOT* a cash-grab by an angry, estranged niece whose greed was stoked by envy.

It is the story of Fred Trump's family from the viewpoint of someone who, despite not being welcomed within it because her father needed to be himself, still was there inside the bunker until her father's death.

It is the memory of a person whose entire life was formed by bad parents, her own and theirs. It is the analytical conclusions of a trained psycholo
Betsy Robinson
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My family was not rich, but it was every bit as stark, raving wacko as the Trumps. For that reason, I found myself identifying to a point that was nearly unbearable with much that was in this book. Mary Trump is a shrink and a teacher, and although this book could have used one more editing pass, her psychological light illuminating this level of "crazy" is something everybody from a dysfunctional family might benefit from reading.

If you are only interested in understanding the president, you ar
Matt
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have decided to embark on a mission to read a number of books on subjects that will be of great importance to the upcoming 2020 US Presidential Election. Many of these will focus on actors intricately involved in the process, in hopes that I can understand them better and, perhaps, educate others with the power to cast a ballot. I am, as always, open to serious recommendations from anyone who has a book I might like to include in the process.

This is Book #13 in my 2020 US Election Preparation
Gerhard
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'We need to talk about the elephant in the room.'

I was reading this book while watching the Netflix docu series Trump: An American Dream. In the fourth and final episode entitled ‘Politics’, it is suggested that Obama’s roasting of Trump at the 2011 White House Correspondents’ Dinner was the final trigger to make the Donald run for office, as this was the sort of humiliation and embarrassment that he could neither forget nor forgive.

Up to that point, Trump had been rather coy about his president
Jenny Baker
“He’s Frankenstein without a conscience.”

Basically, Donald is a sociopath and a narcissist, just like his father, Fred, Sr.

Mary talks a lot about Fred, Sr. and her father Freddy (Fred, Jr.), but I think it’s important to see how Fred, Sr. created the monster we know today, as well as compare and contrast Donald and Freddy’s personalities. In his father’s eyes, Donald could do no wrong and Freddy could do nothing right.

Some of the things Fred, Sr. taught Donald is absolutely appalling. Dona
Alden
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can’t wait to chug some bleach, gas some Americans, and find out how my niece is doing!!!
Montzalee Wittmann
Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man by Mary L. Trump is a book that shows a lot of courage on the author's part. The Donald is not known for being kind to those who say or do anything that he finds offensive. He has had it out with the author before and because he didn't care for his brother he doesn't care for his brother's kids.
We the readers learn a great deal about the whole bizarre family in this book. I won't give anymore good parts away but The
Josh Hedgepeth
I wasn't going to read this book, but then I read that a judge temporarily blocked the publication. This book will get published. I now intend to read it as soon as I can after it happens. ...more
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
I wish I could say the book was very enlightening, but it only confirmed what is obvious to anyone who isn’t blindly enchanted by Donald Trump’s idiot factor. The man is a self-absorbed criminal and fraud to put it very mildly.

The book focused more on the dysfunction of the Trump family, and the role Donald Trump’s father played in feeding and creating the dysfunction.

I’ve giving the book and audio 5 stars because it’s not a question of being a Republican or Democrat. It’s about being Anti-Dona
Jonathan David
Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan
Great as a psychology book. Interesting and poignant autobiography & biography of a family.

I enjoyed the writing style and think that the book is mostly well written.

That the case subject in the title of the book currently wields so much power is alarming.

There was nothing included that was surprising to me but the background information was exceedingly helpful for understanding and most of it I hadn’t known.

Her shocked reaction election night was similar to mine and to that of most of the peop
Lilo
Dear Ms. Trump,

I thank you for writing this book. I thank you with all my heart. If enough undecided voters should read your book, you might save not only America but the whole world. (Unfortunately, the chances for this are small.)

Yours truly,

Lilo Huhle-Poelzl

I will not write a review of this book, because many of my Goodreads friends have already written excellent and very informative reviews. I fully endorse the following reviews, to which I give the links:

Elyse Walter's review:
Caroline
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Trump supporters, Trump haters, fence-sitters, all who care about democracy
It's high time someone spoke out publicly, no holds barred, against America's most destructive president. In Too Much and Never Enough Donald Trump’s niece, of all people, did it--and well.

The book is invaluable. Mary Trump knew Donald Trump starting very young and spent a lot of time in his childhood home through the years. As a psychologist, she’s in a unique position to combine this knowledge with objective facts from the field of psychology. Since the care people receive as children leaves

• The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
  • The Sun and Her Flowers
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
  • We Love Anderson Cooper
  • Reconstructing Amelia
  • Middlesex
  • Flight Behavior
  • Invisible (Invisible #1)
  • The Mountains Sing
  • The Poisonwood Bible
  • Brave Girl, Quiet Girl
  • In search of black history with Bonnie Greer
  • Rock Dreams
  • 32 Days: A Memoir of Love and Death
  • The Last Chance Lawyer (Daniel Pike #1)
  • Time Present, Time Past: A Memoir
  • Collision Course: The Basketball Lives of Bob Cousy and Oscar Robertson and the Fall of the Cincinnati Royals
See top shelves…
Mary L. Trump, born May 1965, a clinical psychologist, is the oldest child of Fred Trump Jr., and the oldest grandchild of Fred Trump Sr. Mary's father died in 1981 at the age of 42 from a heart attack due to alcoholism. ...more

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...
“Donald today is much as he was at three years old: incapable of growing, learning, or evolving, unable to regulate his emotions, moderate his responses, or take in and synthesize information.” 32 likes
“Donald was to my grandfather what the border wall has been for Donald: a vanity project funded at the expense of more worthy pursuits.” 22 likes