Jump to ratings and reviews

The Z-Tech Chronicles #1

Angels in the Mist

An ancient, powerful evil is loose in San Francisco. The heart of Silicon Valley must fight back the only way they know how — with compassion, unwavering determination, and, of course, super-technology.

Anne Perrin is resigned to a life driven by an adolescent trauma: a strict routine, no socializing (outside of the safety of her waitressing job), and no romantic relationships. When her cautious lifestyle lets the perfect partner slip through her fingers, Anne vows she won’t let it happen again and ventures into San Francisco to find happiness.

Her first night out in a decade becomes a nightmare when her date turns on her with sadistic intent. But his nefarious plans for Anne are unexpectedly interrupted by a mysterious savior. Valiant, smart, compassionate … Charlie is exactly the partner Anne has been looking for. And best of all, he likes her too.

Things go well between her and Charlie until an assailant with unexpected strength plunges Anne into a world she didn’t know existed — nor could have imagined — where super-science and an eclectic group of extraordinary individuals may be the solution to Anne’s lifelong loneliness … and humanity’s only hope against an ancient threat.

Kindle Edition

Published June 16, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ryan Southwick

11 books44 followers
Ryan Southwick decided to dabble at writing late in life, and quickly became obsessed with the craft. He currently lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with his wife and two children.

His technical skills as a software developer, healthcare experience, and lifelong fascination for science fiction became the ingredients for his first series, The Z-Tech Chronicles, which combines these elements into a fantastic contemporary tale of super-science, fantasy, and adventure, based in his Bay Area stomping grounds.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (6%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 21 of 21 reviews
Profile Image for Joy Perry.
156 reviews47 followers
June 27, 2020
#NetGalley #RyanSouthwick

Another really good read...I am on a roll!!! Kudos to the author for weaving a whole new experience where the world includes androids, cyborgs and vampires! This was my first book by the author and also the first in a series. I cannot wait for the next installment. I'm thinking it will improve, as most series' do and potentially be a five star read.

I'm not even going to try to give a synopses on this book, reading the blurb will give you a pretty good idea of what it is about and then you just need to dive right in for this very well written book. I feel like I'm invested in the characters and like them a bunch (evil bad guy not included lol). Readers of the fantasy/supernatural genre should most definitely like this book, as will some other readers as well.

I would really like to thank the publisher Water Dragon Publishing for an electronic advanced review copy of the book in exchange for my honest review!
Profile Image for Joy Perry.
156 reviews47 followers
June 27, 2020
#NetGalley #RyanSouthwick

Profile Image for Valerie Roberson.
386 reviews6 followers
June 12, 2019
This is one of the best books I’ve read this year! You got it all, romance, fairytale, science fiction, vampires, action, fantasy, secrets and so many surprises. Each chapter brought mystery and a surprise to it, which made it very hard to put the book down.
You have Anne, traumatized as a teenager and ran away from home and only went down the wrong road, until she met Doris who brought her out of the gutter. Years went by until Anne met Charlie, who is everything she ever wanted in a man, a relationship, but flashbacks wouldn’t allow the relationship to advance. Charlie introduced her to Zimma, Cappa and Mark, Charlie’s partner and family. Anne discovered who/what Charlie really is and my mouth hit the floor as I yelled, “WHAT”! No way, this is awesome! This is where the book got really good and things happened from there that you wouldn’t imagine be put together and it worked amazingly. I laughed, held my breath, cheered, cried, was on the edge of my seat a lot and grinned from ear to ear often. As any good Author does, you are left hanging and boy I truly hope there is another book to follow.
115 reviews7 followers
August 19, 2018
I won Angels in the Mist through a goodreads giveaway. There is PTSD from a sexual assault in this book, just a warning as I know that there is content that could make some individuals very uncomfortable. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book, but about 3 chapters in I was hooked. This would not be a book I would normally buy, but I will be buying the next book in the series! It definitely is Sci-Fi, Paranormal with vampires, cyborgs, and nanites. I love it when the hero or heroine of a book isn't fresh out of school and has some personal baggage that comes with age. Anne and Charlie definitely fall in that category. And it is so very true that sometimes your real family isn't blood related. I am looking forward to the next book in the Z-Tech Chronicles.
3 reviews
May 28, 2018
Wow. This is a wonderful new entry into the urban fantasy genre. The story revolves around a young woman who survived a traumatic event, fled to the San Francisco Bay Area, and works hard at overcoming her PTSD. Her quiet life is changed with the meeting of a unique man, and she becomes aware of dark forces at work. She joins the cause, and the action is fast and imaginative. The characters are well drawn and fascinating, and it was hard to put down. This new voice in the mist of San Francisco roars with action, humor, pathos and imagination. Can’t wait for book #2.
Profile Image for BookTrib.com .
1,462 reviews131 followers
Read
July 30, 2020
The first installment in Ryan Southwick’s The Z-Tech Chronicles trilogy, has enough intensity and inventiveness for three books all by itself. Brimming with elements of practically every genre including exhilarating action-adventure, riveting sci-fi, urban fantasy and breathtaking romance, ANGELS IN THE MIST surprises and satisfies with every hairpin turn.

Read our full review here:
Profile Image for Annabelle.
176 reviews1 follower
August 24, 2021
Intense!

This book was amazing! I was on a roller coaster with Anne from the get go! PTSD is something that tons of people deal with for different reasons. I loved how he brought to light the very real situations that can happen in certain situations. Anne is such a strong person and deals with so much. I am amazed with how she grows through out the story. Doris was definitely her rock and help her in some of her darkest times. Charlie and Zima! I love them both! I they were so patient with her and helped her grow so much. She was able take all the secrets they all had with a stride, she accepted them as much as they accepted her and they all grew together! Still so much more happens when you dive i to this book. You will not be able to put it down! MUST READ!
Profile Image for Samantha Turley.
511 reviews8 followers
August 3, 2020
A great fun read for fans of Fantasy!
Book is written in a manner that it is easy to read and it builds and capture interest of the reader. Kept reader captivate to complete reading.
It keeps you wanting to read and uncover more about it as you go. Once you pick it up, it’s hard to put down! I would definitely recommend it for Sci0Fi and Fantasy fans.
Action packed with wonderful word building.
Profile Image for The Literary .
584 reviews19 followers
March 8, 2021
You’ve never read a story like this!

You meet Anne. She suffers from PTSD from something that happened in her past. She’s tired of living her life this way and decides to go out one night. That night will change her life forever.

I was not expecting to devour this book the way I did. It’s a mix of science fiction and paranormal. The we also have some tech and action. The author did an awesome job of bringing it all together. He even managed to throw in a love story of sorts. Not your average for sure and I was digging it. Very unique characters! LOVED Zima! I enjoyed the humor and banter between everyone. I appreciate that the techy part was written in a way I could both understand and picture as I was reading. Thank you Mr. Southwick!

As a whole, this book is entertaining. It’s different with very unique characters. If you’re a fan of sci-fi and paranormal, I highly suggest you taking a chance on this book! Add to your TBR! This is a new to me author and I really enjoyed his style of storytelling. I look forward to reading more by him. I give this 5 stars.
Profile Image for Jean.
57 reviews9 followers
July 18, 2018
I had a lot of fun with this novel. It's a real page-turner with lots of action and suspense. I was, at times, a little frustrated because I wanted ANSWERS to my QUESTIONS, and I wasn't at all sure that I would get them before the next volume (or, horrors, the third!). Happily, the satisfaction/suspense ratio is nicely balanced and I came away with some good answers and some nice anticipation for the next installment.

It's long, with a lot of plot and all sorts of things going on (vampires! cyborgs! plasma guns!), and it's hard to put down. The pace keeps up and the whole thing is a wild ride.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for R.K. Emery.
860 reviews26 followers
June 25, 2020
What makes this work? Its a refreshing and unique adventure to follow!

I love the fact that this book explains the details of how things work and almost makes many impractical things seem practical.

The writing style was one of my favorites, the humor actually made me laugh. I love when authors can mix in wit and humor to break up the darker and serious elements of a book.
23 reviews4 followers
August 13, 2018
I won this book here and am glad what a fun read. Zima is sweet but a little psychotic. I like when i am reading a book where I can't figure out what is going on , love that. I won't talk about about the plot or anything cause I am terrible at writing reviews and wind up ruining the book for others. I will say go get this book and read it , was great.
Profile Image for Gina Stamper.
494 reviews13 followers
August 2, 2020
I raced through this one! Ryan Southwick’s deft writing and snappy pace makes Angels in the Mist a joy to read! The thing that stands out is how he has created such memorable characters.
Well thought out, characters actually made sense. Has a great plot and is overall, superbly written.
Profile Image for Holly Mavigliano.
155 reviews1 follower
July 18, 2018
a Must read!

This book has it all! Action, adventure, romance........vampires, and robots... I was captivated from the first chapter. A great read, and I will definitely watch this author.
Profile Image for Mary Ann.
312 reviews32 followers
September 10, 2018
Strong characters. Solid writing. PTSD due to a sexual assault. Interesting urban fantasy. Parts were drawn out while the majority of the book was fast-paced.
August 29, 2018
I really liked this book. The story does deal with a brief traumatic event and PTSD challenges. So for some readers it may be considered a little dark. I however, found it to be romantic, adventurous, quirky, fun, and in some parts, light hearted. I thought Zima was endearing. The characters and storyline were different and definitely not predictable. I needed answers to all my questions! Before I knew it, I had finished the book!
Profile Image for Tom Jolly.
Author 49 books5 followers
October 28, 2018
This book was quite a bit of fun. The only thing that bothered me about it was the rape scene in the first chapter; it wasn't particularly graphic, but it was disturbing, though it was also needed to establish Anne's PTSD. This figured heavily in the rest of the book, which, in general, was a lot lighter than the first chapter.

Anne seems to be a magnet for unusual criminals and heroes of an odd sort, and much of the book is taken up with a love triangle between her and Zima and Charlie, which was very amusing once you learned what those characters really are. Though her PTSD effects how her love interests progress, the main plot of the story revolves around another villain, William. Zima's attempts to blend in with, well, humans, are pretty funny.

This is kind of a mix of SF and Fantasy. The characters are quirky and likable (except for William, of course, he's just a monster) and the story moves quickly. It's the first of 3 books, but I've only read this one so far.
Profile Image for Reid Edwards.
184 reviews3 followers
May 7, 2020
While there were parts of Angels in the Mist that I really enjoyed, overall it feels like a pulp-fiction fanfic novel. The characters, while having traumas in their backstories for "character", felt fairly one-dimensional - it wasn't difficult to understand any of their motivations, since they almost always drew on their defining moment. The book also felt oversaturated with sexuality, almost to the level where the Romance tag should be added, without much of the emotional and psychological levels you find in great romance. It felt gratuitous, like it was inserted every few chapters to keep any teenage males reading the story interested. On the other hand, Southwick does have an ear for action; his fight scenes felt real and evocative. Overall, Angels in the Mist was an ok book - there are some aspects that I found interesting, but by the end I was just trying to finish to make sure I didn't miss any majorly redeeming sections.
October 19, 2021
A good introduction of characters in a world of coexisting cyborgs, androids, hybrid humans and even vampires! The technical aspects in this story are fascinating and perfectly detailed amid the action and character development. It is a tale of support and building of an unconventional family centered around a woman with her own traumatic history. Ready for the second book to see where this path is leading!
Profile Image for Morgan Chalut.
Author 5 books6 followers
January 27, 2022
Ryan Southwick is a great author - he focuses on the meat of his characters' development and their relationships to each other and their situations. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book (it's outside of my preferred genre) but I was pleasantly surprised.

As more information is made available, you get to enjoy the worldbuilding he's done, and how perfectly the pieces of story fit together. Definitely one I'll recommend.
Displaying 1 - 21 of 21 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.