Start by marking “Klara and the Sun” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  112,172 ratings  ·  14,656 reviews
‘The Sun always has ways to reach us.'

From her place in the store, Klara, an Artificial Friend with outstanding observational qualities, watches carefully the behaviour of those who come in to browse, and of those who pass in the street outside. She remains hopeful a customer will soon choose her, but when the possibility emerges that her circumstances may change for ever,
Published March 2nd 2021 by Faber & Faber

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 02, 2021
    Enter to win KLARA AND THE SUN, a 2021 Goodreads Choice Awards nominee!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 15784 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 20 - Dec 05, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Klara and the Sun, please sign up.
    Laura This answer contains spoilers and is LONG!

This answer contains spoilers and is LONG!

As I read the ending with Klara sitting in the junkyard, discarded by her family, Rick's words echoed in my mind: "I keep wondering if there was more to it.” Knowing Ishiguro’s previous novels, I thought there must be some existential twist I'd missed. I started thinking that a clue might be found in the book’s title—“Klara and the Sun,” emphasis on the Sun, which seems to energize the AFs.

The Sun couldn’t revive a human being … but was it really Josie the Sun revived?

We all noticed how sketchy Ishiguro is with details—such as the “lifted” technology and other AF and Portrait details—which leaves a lot of latitude for my rather outlandish theory that Josie was replaced. Then after seeing my theory echoed on this thread and in a Reddit thread about this book—with this provocative last line in that post—“I think if you reread the last chapter closely there are many hints which suggest that Josie did indeed die and was replaced - the replacement so seamless even Klara believed it was her”—I went through the book a second time and culled the following clues.

A caveat: Like any theory, I’m using as evidence all the parts that fit the theory and glossing over all the parts that don’t!

EARLY ON…

CLUE Melania Houskeeper’s fearful warning to Klara to stick close to Josie when they go to Capaldi’s (Melania has been told she can’t go with them. Why?)
    “Miss Sal die and mess Ma’am up bad. Get me, AF?”

CLUE We learn that Klara’s hope and plan for Josie is that “Josie will become strong and well. She’ll be able to go to college and become an adult. … I’ll do everything I can to protect Josie.”
    At that point Klara is talking about her Cootings Machine scheme; but when that plan fails because she sees other polluting machines, what then does her plan to help Josie grow up become?

CLUE The Mother and crying Josie scene where Josie says, “Don’t want to die, Mom. I don’t want that.”
    “I know. I know. It’s okay.”

CLUE The first meeting with the Father, who obviously dislikes Klara. He later says, “I’ve never been good at relating to your kind.” When the Mother asks him to speak to Klara more, he replies, “Part of the family. Is that what you’re saying?” Foreshadowing.

CLUE We learn that the Father is concerned about what happens after the Portrait/Avatar. “Let’s say it gets finished. What bothers me is that I won’t get to have it with me. Because your mom will want it with her.”
    This is exactly what happens in the ending scenes of the novel.

We come to understand that the Father can’t stand Klara because she is part of the Mother’s plan to “replace” his daughter.

Also, we learn in the Capaldi scene that Josie is in on the plan. After the Mother comes out of the “portrait studio,” Josie asks with anxious eyes “So what do you think?” Josie later says, “Be good, Klara!” as Klara takes the intensive survey, which is essentially a data download about Josie so that the portrait can later be animated.

Key line: We learn about this Portrait from Capaldi: “It won’t be like Sal. The new Josie won’t be an imitation. She really will be Josie. A continuation of Josie.”
    This indicates the replacement Josie can grow and change and mature, as we see her do at the end of the novel.

When Klara hears about the plan to continue Josie, she assures the Mother, “If there comes such a sad day, and Josie is obliged to pass away, I’ll do everything in my power….I’ll use everything I’ve learned to train the new Josie up there to be as much like the former one as possible.”

Klara is told by Capaldi that “We want you to inhabit that Josie up there with everything you’ve learned.”
    I assumed on first read that for Klara to “inhabit” Josie, Klara would cease to go on herself. But once she’s downloaded all her Josie data, why couldn’t Klara the AF continue on? Klara even asks the Mother, “What happens to all this?” meaning her body, and the answer is a vague “What does it matter?”

Then, we actually have Klara agreeing to the replacement plan:
    “Until just now. I believed it was my duty to save Josie, to make her well. But perhaps this is a better way.”

Klara says several times, to the Mother, Capaldi, and then to the Father, that “If this were the best way to save Josie, I’d do my utmost. And I believe there’s a good chance I’d be able to succeed.” She also says later to Josie, “Perhaps the Mother thought if she stayed with Josie all the time, Josie would be less lonely. … If that were true, if Josie really would be less lonely with the Mother, then I’d happily go away.” Her reasoning, and foreshadowing.

[A different kind of foreshadowing on the drive home from the city. The Mother says to Josie, “I don’t understand why you and Rick need to go to the same college.” Later, when the Mother is in charge of the replacement Josie, she makes sure this come true, with no problem from “Josie.”]

My take about the scene where the father “helps” Klara with her plan, with his sudden idea to drain her fluid, is that once the Father understands that Klara’s plan to help Josie is an outlandish idea to destroy a single polluting machine, he plays along in order to secretly damage or “jeopardize” the gullible AF, the key figure in the Mother and Capaldi’s hated replacement plan. After taking her “precious solution” and supposedly destroying the Cootings Machine, we are told that the Father is “cheerful” when he meets up with everyone later at the sushi restaurant. Then, throughout the rest of this chapter, Klara catches him examining her carefully; probably hopeful (not worried) that he has meaningfully damaged her.

And then things take a bad turn for Klara. First she’s having some cognitive issues due to the lack of her precious solution, then she sees the second Cootings Machine and realizes she will not be able to ruin all the polluting machines and please the Sun. This is when Plan B—replacement—becomes real, even though Klara goes one more time to the Sun to beg for its help. We learn in that scene how muddled and distracted her cognition now is as things are all mixed up in McBain’s barn. This includes the picture of the sheep, who are now sad (symbolizing Klara?)

THE LAST CHAPTER CLUES

Josie starts actively dying, causing the Mother to chant her name in obvious mental distress, and perhaps deciding to move forward with the replacement plan. The doctor and the Mother have long conversations with the door closed, so Klara can’t hear what the actual discussion is. At this point Klara reports that Josie is out of it, sleeping.

It would be around this time that the substitution is made. What’s totally unclear is whether Klara ever can acknowledge this or not. Her crazed final visit with the Sun in the barn suggests she’s lost it and maybe isn’t aware of exactly what’s happening anymore(?)
    OR maybe her begging the Sun for the nourishment is not for human Josie, but rather the replacement Josie, who would be susceptible to the Sun’s powers (?)

After Klara begs the Sun, she stares at the Sun’s reflection in glass sheets and says, “What I might have taken for a unified image was in fact seven different ones superimposed one over the other… as I looked at them collectively, the effect was of a single face, but with a variety of outlines and emotions.” A metaphor—maybe about a replacement or continuation of Josie? (yes, a stretch)

The scene ends with Klara saying dejectedly, “I knew the Sun had departed.” If she were still trying to bargain for Josie’s life, she suspects she has failed.

Next scene tells of six days of arguments between Dr Ryan and the Mother about whether Josie should go to the hospital. Is the Mother against hospital care because she’s waiting for Capaldi to replace her daughter? Or has Josie already been replaced and the Mother is waiting for the Portrait to activate?

Again I note that in the narration, which is very sketchy at this point, Klara gives no indication of a time when Josie could have been replaced. Although Klara does say everyone has been exhausted and disoriented for days.
    Josie remains sleeping or unconscious. Is she already replaced?

Then it’s the dark day of the Sun's visit. The Mother is wearing a black gown (in mourning perhaps for the real, already-departed Josie?).

Rick tells the Mother the message that Josie earlier asked him to convey to the Mother at “the correct time." “She says that no matter what happens now, never mind how it plays out, she loves you and will always love you.”
    "No matter how it plays out"--This sounds like a girl who is trying to please her mother by going along with the plan to “continue,” while also consoling her mother that her love will continue...

Then the Sun makes its appearance (with Melania Housekeeper symbolically trying her best to block it out).
    When the figure on the bed, “lying on her side as she often did, her face mostly hidden by the hair falling over it,” suddenly stirs to consciousness, her mother asks how she feels, “staring at Josie as if in fear.”
    That’s because it’s the replacement stirred to life by the Sun, not her daughter, and the Mother doesn’t know what to expect.

Replacement Josie (who we were told earlier “will not be an imitation. She really will be Josie. A continuation of Josie”) speaks as Josie and tells everyone she’s suddenly feeling better.

To close out the chapter the Mother says to everyone, “Let’s assume nothing. We have to take this one step at a time.”
    This would make sense if she’s talking about the “new” Josie.

Part Six

Suddenly we’re moving years ahead. We learn Klara is still around but relegated to a Utilities Closet, which would make sense if her old friend were the new ‘Josie’. We learn Josie has stopped sharing her life with Klara.

Toward the end of the novel, we see that “Josie” has little to do with Klara, but once comes to visit Klara in her Utility Room. It’s the first kindness Josie has shown her in years (unlike the real Josie who whispered into Klara’s ear, “Don’t worry. I’ll never let anything bad happen to you.”)

After “Josie” says knowingly to Klara, “I know how much you love looking out”—for a moment the two (artificial?) girls look at each other with gentle smiles. Even though relegated to a closet, Klara’s sacrifice has been acknowledged.

Klara tells us that the Father has turned up only once in all the years—as would be true if Josie were now the replacement. Rick has gradually stopped visiting, too.

When Rick runs into Klara, he talks about that day when “everything turned around” and says, “I keep wondering if there was more to it.”
    “He was watching me carefully, but I said nothing for quite a long time.”
    Is Klara hiding something?

Then Rick tells Klara, “…I’ll always keep searching for someone just like her. At least like the Josie I once knew.”
    That’s because the current Josie is a replacement.

Then a surprise: we learn Capaldi, creator of the Portrait, is still in the story! Now he shows up to “look under Klara’s hood; open up the black box.” The Mother tells him in this scene “That wasn’t the agreement, Henry. That wasn’t what you said…. Klara deserves better than that.”

Was the agreement with the guilt-stricken Mother & Josie that Klara could carry on, albeit diminished, after her data/observations had helped “continue” Josie? Why would Capaldi still be in the picture here, except if it’s his “portrait” that is Josie?
    He tells Klara, "I’ve never forgotten you, Klara. I know you’ll be uniquely useful to us.”
    Why “uniquely”? This could be because Klara contributed to a successful replacement portrait, and is still around to share data.

Capaldi says to the Mother, “I just did my best to help you. I’m glad it worked out well with Josie in the end…. That’s no reason for you to be so mad at me all the time.”
    An ambiguous statement that works if Josie is now the replacement. The rather crazy Mother probably never fully accepted the new Josie, just as the Father predicted. She would be angry at Capaldi, and probably "Josie" (and Klara, who she pointedly ignores when she sees her around the house).

We never had known exactly what happens when there’s a “continuation”—I’d assumed that would mean Klara would be defunct. But what if instead the deal was she continues on, in her confused and depleted state, occupying the Utility Room? Maybe that was a deal real Josie made with her mother—that Klara gets to stay at the house until Klara “fades” (or the new Josie leaves for college)?

AT THE CONCLUSION
    In her last-chapter conversation with the Manager, Klara brings up that she doesn’t believe she could have continued Josie, and that she wouldn’t have succeeded since those who loved Josie wouldn’t feel love for new Josie.

But the fact is that they don’t. We learn that all those who loved Josie, except the obsessed Mother, stopped interacting with Josie in the years after her resurrection, including Melania Housekeeper.
    That’s because Klara’s Josie data couldn’t quite pull off the continuation.

Klara tells the Manager at the end, “I’m glad I decided as I did.” But did we ever see Klara decide NOT to go along with the Capaldi/Mother plan? We only heard her accede to it.

At the very end, Klara the AF continues to fade away while sorting through her self-admitted faulty memories and perceptions. And “Josie” has grown up to be the adult that Klara pledged over and over to make sure would happen. (Shades of "real boy" Pinocchio.) So very poignant!

HOLES IN THE THEORY Klara never tells us when/how the Josie replacement happened. But then, she/Ishiguro skips over a ton of details, throughout. Klara’s focus has always remained on the Sun and keeping Josie going, no matter what.
    Also, could an avatar really age, as Josie does? (Capaldi implied that would indeed happen… somehow).

So that’s my theory and evidence. Who knows what is really going on in this book?! I just think it’s fun to speculate that there must be more to the story than appears on the surface…(less)
    Marian I think the boxes describe the way her vision works, i.e. how her camera(s) detect objects. It's called "bounding boxes" - this article gives some exa…moreI think the boxes describe the way her vision works, i.e. how her camera(s) detect objects. It's called "bounding boxes" - this article gives some examples: https://www.hackerearth.com/blog/deve...(less)

·  112,172 ratings  ·  14,656 reviews

Start your review of Klara and the Sun
    Emily May
    Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2021, modern-lit, sci-fi
    I read right to the end of Klara and the Sun to be really sure there wasn't a moment, a dark depth lurking somewhere, that would make me love it. I pushed through an underwhelming narrative of recycled sci-fi themes, waiting, surely, for Nobel Prize-worthy goodness. The kind that made me fall for Never Let Me Go and The Remains of the Day. But I couldn't find it.

So then I went to read the starred reviews from critics who raved about this book to see where I went wrong. I read the gushing Publis
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Do you hear the eerie sound of trumpets informs us an unpopular review is on its way! I am not sure I read the same book everybody did. All those critics have written marvelous things about this one which made truly excited to dive into! We’re talking Nobel prize winner author! This is brand new book of the author of “Remains of the day” and “ Never Let me go”! What could possibly go wrong?

But too many things absolutely went so wrong! I felt like I stuck in mud and sunk deeper at each page! Eve
    Cindy
    Apr 11, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I was super into this book in the first half and could have easily given it 4 stars. It was charming to see the world through the eyes of an innocent and optimistic AI, and the audiobook narration added to the whimsy. I was excited to see all the potential developments unfold among the protagonist and the family she lives with. Unfortunately, the story didn’t go anywhere from there. There weren’t any groundbreaking observations of human nature, nor enough emotional stakes to make the book specia ...more
    Angie Kim
    Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I tore through the ARC in less than 24 hours, and now I'm just sitting here with tears in my eyes, completely and utterly satisfied. I love Klara, the insightful and noble Artificial Friend, and I wish she were real so that I could hug her and tell her how much she means to me. This book is all my favorite things rolled into one--sci-fi, mythology, suspense and mystery, and coming of age (yes, of a robot). It's a beautiful and powerful exploration of important questions about humanity: what make ...more
    Jack Edwards
    Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Ishiguro has an unparalleled ability to craft dystopian societies which are simultaneously shocking and disorientating, yet oddly familiar -- they are believable because they take present values or ideas and stretch them to the extreme. He also has an unmatched ability to construct scenes in which misunderstandings cause conflict, so awkward and frustrating that the reader wishes they could intervene.

Klara and the Sun imagines what the future of artificial intelligence and genetic-engineering co
    Nataliya
    Mar 27, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2021-reads
    This book made me sad. Sad not because of the story but because I read it expecting the brilliance that the author of The Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go can deliver in spades — and instead I got... well... this. A dull and lackluster book that slowly fizzles out under the burden of its unengaging narrative voice that neuters most of the impact from its bleak ending hiding inside the world’s saddest, most delusional servile optimism.

Because by the time I plodded to the end, exhausted fro
    Henk
    Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Now longlisted for the Booker Prize 2021! - https://thebookerprizes.com/fiction/2021

Human callousness and the cruelty of forgetting and changing. All captured in a near future America with some very faint glimmers of hope intertwined
    “Sometimes,’ she said, ‘at special moments like that, people feel a pain alongside their happiness. I’m glad you watch everything so carefully, Klara.”

One does not read Kazuo Ishiguro his works for literary fireworks on a sentence level. This is especially true for K
    Yun
    Jun 18, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This seems to be quite a polarizing book, with everyone either loving it or hating it. But Klara and the Sun didn't elicit such strong emotions in me. It didn't wow me in any way, but I didn't dislike it either. I fell squarely in the meh-meh middle.

We start off with Klara at the store, hoping to be chosen as the Artificial Friend for a family. Since she's a robot and the story is told from her perspective, her narrative comes across as a bit robotic and detached. But it fits the tone of the sto
    Jessica Woodbury
    If NEVER LET ME GO is your favorite Ishiguro, he is serving up something very similar here. Ishiguro can hop between genres, but this is surprisingly close to that familiar territory, though with enough differences to be its own unique thing.

What you may recognize: the near-future setting that is mostly similar to the present but gradually we learn of some astonishing differences; the first-person narrator that is a kind of outsider who doesn't fully understand the world they live in; themes of
    Joel Rochester
    There is so much nuance to this book I—
    I will come back with some more thoughts later but I really enjoyed this!
    Eric Anderson
    Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    “Klara and the Sun” is the first novel Ishiguro has published since he won the 2017 Nobel Prize in Literature which – of course - means that this is one of the publishing events of the year, but given this author's output producing a new novel roughly every five years means it's also coming right on time. I was entranced by his most recent novel “The Buried Giant” which reads like the most psychologically-compelling fable or fantasy tale. Yet, even though I have a high regard for his work, I was ...more
    Marchpane
    Mar 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Longlisted for the 2021 Booker Prize

Klara is hyper-observant, always watching those around her closely. Noticing if, say, a flicker of sadness passes across someone’s features. Klara is also an Artificial Friend, a lifelike android destined to become a companion for a human child. Is it empathy, the way she notices, observes, adjusts her behaviour accordingly? Or something else?

Ishiguro excels at narrators who are detached, almost affectless, without being cold. Of this type, Klara is both exem
    Elyse  Walters
    Audiobook.... read by Sura Siu

“Klara and the Sun” is sooooo GOOD...
    Absolutely MAGNIFICENT!!!

There’s already a myriad of reviews describing the plot,
    and/or analyzing Kazuo Ishiguro, or comparisons to Ishiguro’s other novels,
    and ‘more’ analyzing of the characters, the narrative, and book cover....
    Dozens of marvelous reviews...
    So....
    I’m just going add that “Klara and the Sun”, is one of my 2021 favorites!!!
    ....loved, loved, loved every second of it!!!!

The audiobook was as wonderful as can be!

I
    Nora Kovacs
    Apr 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Meh. To be entirely fair though, when it comes to Ishiguro I am like an addict forever chasing that first high. Never Let Me Go was the first novel of his that I read and nothing measured up ever since.
    On a less subjective note, this book is great. Ishiguro looks at humanity from a slightly different angle than in Never Let Me Go, but seeks the answer to the same question: What makes us human?
    Are we merely sophisticated machines held together by a bundle of data or is there something inside us t
    Jenna
    Mar 05, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Ishiguro fans, fans of futuristic stories with a slight dystopian bent
    Evanka Osmak Sportsnet GIF - EvankaOsmak Sportsnet Meh GIFs

One day a couple years ago I was sitting at my desk at the library when a colleague came in and excitedly told me there were two men in a rowboat coming down the creek.

It's a slender and shallow creek and you wouldn't expect to see a rowboat coming down it, so I could understand her delight. She went to take some photos while I went about my work, declining to check it out myself.

That evening at home I told my partner about it, how Christy had seen two men in a rowboat in the creek behind the li
    ✨ A ✨
    There is something unnameable about the way Ishiguro’s books make me feel. I cannot explain it in words. They feel like a breath of fresh air on a crisp autumn day. Seeing an old friend after a long period of separation. That moment of complete silence in the early hours of the morning.

The writing was the author’s usual, simplistic style that never fails to captivate me. Full of subtle hints that leaves the reader desperate to figure out what our characters are going through. Pages rich with nua
    Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer
    The Nobel Laureate discussed his latest book on a Guardian Live event the evening of publication (with an audience of 3500+) – his first event of what he calls a virtual world book tour.

Alex Clarke hosted with questions asked by pre-recorded video by Daisy Johnson, Bernardine Evaristo, David Mitchell and Emma Thompson.

Here are my notes on the evening.

The genesis of the story is a children’s story – for children of 5-6 years old that Ishiguro had developed. He has always been fascinated by the l
    Jenny Lawson
    Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I couldn't put it down. An examination of the beautiful and terrible human condition by way of a robot. ...more
    William2
    Mar 11, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: uk, 21-ce, fiction
    Is this a YA novel? The language is beautiful but supremely flat. It reminds me of Never Let Me Go in its dystopian setting and grueling humorlessness.

I’ve real all of Ishiguro’s novels. My favorite is The Unconsoled, among others reasons because of its wit. For example, in one scene set in a cinema Clint Eastwood stars in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

There’s nothing like that here. And I am reminded of what Martin Amis recently said about the necessity of wit (be it subtle or broad) in fiction.

The
    Dr. Appu Sasidharan

(Throwback Review) The story of Klara, an artificial friend with extraordinary observational skills, and Josie will touch our hearts. This is a book which most of my friends and some well-known critics didn't like. But I simply loved it.

One of the controversial topics discussed just after this book was published was the writer's jinx after winning a Nobel Prize. Some were also comparing this book with the author's initial works. I can understand why some people didn't like this novel. Mayb
    Lisa of Troy
    Sep 07, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    One of the worst editing jobs I have seen.

Klara is an artificial friend, AF, who is powered by the sun and sits in the store waiting for a little boy or girl to take her home. Until one day, Klara sees a child approaching the store....

This book could have been great, but it was B O R I N G and S L O W! It didn't even have chapters. It had Parts. On the audiobook, each of these parts was between 1 and 2 hours long.

The prose was horrible. It was very staccato because it was supposed to sound like
    Tatiana
    My days of enjoying Ishiguro might be forever over. For a literary fiction writer to take on the subject of AI is already too heavy a lift as it's been explored so thoroughly in genre fiction and TV, and explored well. However, I thought Ishiguro would be able to add some special magic and find a new angle, like he did in Never Let Me Go. Alas, this narrative and perspective are incredibly boring and a tad twee and I am not interested whatsoever.

I feel like many aging authors, once great, like
    Maxwell
    May 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: owned
    [4.5 stars]

Longlisted for the 2021 Booker Prize

Reading this reminded me a lot of my first time reading Never Let Me Go in 2013. I inhaled that book. I was so compelled by the world Ishiguro created and how he slowly doled out information. Klara and the Sun is no exception.

This novel has a quiet, almost nostalgic atmosphere that gently guides the reader into a simulacrum of our world, but with something slightly off. That dissonance kept me turning the pages wanting to not only find out more abo
    Roman Clodia
    Mar 19, 2021 rated it liked it
    Now Longlisted for The Booker Prize 2021

Do you believe in the human heart? I don't mean simply the organ, obviously. I'm speaking in the poetic sense. The human heart. Do you think there is such a thing? Something that makes each of us special and individual?

I wonder if there are any Ishiguro readers out there who will answer this question in the negative? Because it seems to me that this book, like many predecessors which have played in the same territory, is asking a rhetorical question th
    marta the book slayer
    Wearing sunglasses for this review because I am anti-sun and anti-Klara

I wish I had quotes to put at the front of this review but nothing remarkable grasped my attention long enough to want to highlight it. I have such a strong dislike of this novel, I will not be caring about spoilers in my review. Read at your own discretion

1/5

Klara and the Sun is such a fitting title for this novel. I mean it is literally about Klara and the Sun. The novel begins with Klara, an artificial friend, in a storefr
    Ahmad Sharabiani
    Klara and the Sun, Kazuo Ishiguro

Klara and the Sun is the eighth novel by the Nobel Prize-winning British writer Kazuo Ishiguro, published on March 2, 2021.

Klara and the Sun, tells the story of Klara, an Artificial Friend with outstanding observational qualities, who, from her place in the store, watches carefully the behavior of those who come in to browse, and of those who pass on the street outside.

She remains hopeful that a customer will soon choose her.

The book is narrated by one such Ar
    Lisa
    May 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    [4.5] Klara and the Sun is slow-paced, understated and gripping. Set in the near future, the novel is told from the perspective of a very likable AF (artificial friend), Klara. The changes in the world are ambiguous and subtle as observed through Klara's cool gaze, and this makes them even more chilling. Ultimately, this is a novel about connection and loss. Ishiguro writes with heartbreaking power. I can't get the ending out of my mind. I'm so glad I listened to the audio interpretation which i ...more
    Meike
    Mar 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2021-read, uk, 2021-booker
    Now Longlisted for the Booker Prize 2021
    Yup, Nobel Prize winner Ishiguro gives us a novel written in the tone of a children's book, and while I'm usually a literary snob who demands at lest 1634 meta-levels to enjoy a text, I still really liked this effort. Our narrator is Klara, a robot equipped with artificial intelligence, who is bought to support Josie, a sickly, lonely teenager. Set in a future - and how near that future actually is is one of the main questions of the book - where machines
    luce
    Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
    | | blog | tumblr | ko-fi | |

Klara and the Sun presents its readers with a quiet yet touching meditation on life. In a similar fashion as Never Let Me Go Kazuo Ishiguro's foray into the speculative realm is deeply grounded in the mundane. Yet, in spite of its ordinary trappings, Klara and the Sun is a work that is brimming with ambiguities. Ishiguro excels at this type of narrative, ones in which ordinary scenes and interactions are interrupted by moments of unquiet. The near future of Klara a
    lark benobi
    I'm not a fan of Ishiguro's restraint. It bothered me a lot in The Remains of the Day where it began to feel mannered and even a little childish to withhold so much personality and emotional demonstrativeness from the character of Stevens. But I don't think it's necessarily a flaw that Ishiguro doesn't explain everything, and that he sticks with one very limited point of view throughout this newest novel.

BUT I do feel the flatness of the tone in this novel, and the limited point of view--along
    Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 3 14 Oct 17, 2021 11:20PM
    Feisty Readers discussion 1 13 Oct 13, 2021 10:11AM
    Final Round
    3,936,701 Votes Cast

• On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century
    • A Guy Walks Into My Bar (The Guys Who Got Away)
    • Severance
    • Try Me (Extracurricular Activities #2)
    • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
    • Crash (Clark Family, #3)
    • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
    • After Felix (Close Proximity, #3)
    • Slash (Slay, #4.5)
    • The Meaning of Mariah Carey
    • Diary of a Murderer: And Other Stories
    • Little Badman and the Invasion of the Killer Aunties
    • Little Gods
    • They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
    • Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts
    • Good Morning, Destroyer of Men's Souls: A Memoir of Women, Addiction, and Love
    • Bright Precious Thing
    • Broken (in the best possible way)
    See top shelves…
    Sir Kazuo Ishiguro (カズオ・イシグロ or 石黒 一雄), OBE, FRSA, FRSL is a British novelist of Japanese origin and Nobel Laureate in Literature (2017). His family moved to England in 1960. Ishiguro obtained his Bachelor's degree from the University of Kent in 1978 and his Master's from the University of East Anglia's creative writing course in 1980. He became a British citizen in 1982. He now lives in London.

Hi

Articles featuring this book

Every December, as we wrap up our annual Goodreads Reading Challenge, we ask our incredibly well-read colleagues an incredibly tough...
    “There was something very special, but it wasn't inside Josie. It was inside those who loved her.” 78 likes
    “Until recently, I didn’t think that humans could choose
    loneliness. That there were sometimes forces more powerful than the wish to avoid loneliness.”
    53 likes