Start by marking “This One Wild and Precious Life: A hopeful path forward in a fractured world” as Want to Read:
This One Wild and Precious Life: A hopeful path forward in a fractured world

This One Wild and Precious Life: A hopeful path forward in a fractured world

Will you sleep through the revolution? Or do you want to wake up and reclaim your one wild and precious life?

We live in truly overwhelming times. The climate crisis, political polarisation, racial injustice and coronavirus have left many of us in a state of spiritual PTSD. We have retreated, morally and psychologically; we are experiencing a crisis of disconnection - from
Published August 25th 2020 by Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about This One Wild and Precious Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This One Wild and Precious Life

Start your review of This One Wild and Precious Life: A hopeful path forward in a fractured world
Cass Moriarty
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This One Wild and Precious Life (Pan MacMillan 2020) is the latest non-fiction book by New York Times bestselling author, activist and obsessive hiker Sarah Wilson. Most famous for her wellness website and series of books I Quit Sugar, her last book was about anxiety, called First, We Make the Beast Beautiful. With this new hardback volume – which would make a perfect gift – Wilson asks what will YOU do with This One Wild and Precious Life? … exploring some of the ills of the current times and h ...more
Jesse Anderson
Sep 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this. She equated obesity and autism to cancer and death, tried very hard to use contemporary slang and was just overall an absolute mess. I just love my existence being made into a joke! I'm fat, autistic and had cancer as a kid. You know which one was the worst? Take a fucking guess. Being fat and autistic has its pros and cons, but the major con to both of them is how people dehumanise you for simply existing.

I loved her book on anxiety but this was fucking terrible and I dr
Kaffeeklatsch and Books
I'm torn. I like the idea that initially prompted her to write this book. Feeling that we're disconnected and that we're moving into the wrong direction with humanity. I get that, but what I don't like is how she comes across all high and mighty and I feel like she's not really accepting other approaches to the problem. I'm very familiar with The Minimalists and Marie Kondo and I'm not saying that their solution is holistic and perfect, but dismissing other approaches with a waive of the hand? S ...more
Rachel
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2020
I received an ARC of this book with thanks to Pan Macmillan Australia via NetGalley.

This isn't necessarily an easy book to review. Disclaimer, I love Sarah Wilson and have since her Cosmo days. Everything that she has dabbled in or lent her name to, I have paid attention. I did her IQS program 4 times and learnt a remarkable amount about food and the way the body consumes it. I have read FWMTBB and both thoroughly enjoyed it and related to it. I love watching her be interviewed and the way that
Fiona
Sep 01, 2020 rated it liked it
- I was provided with a review copy for my audio review. Broadcast date: 1 Sept 2020. 7:45am www.rrr.org.au

I value the purpose of this book. In order to highlight that in order to overcome the problems of the world we need to work together as a community to build bridges. Her general philosophy (step away from tech a bit, go bush, buy less) are all things I believe in... But this book has some significant structural and tonal issues.

To cover structure first, Wilson states in the introduction th
Bethwyn Badger
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
This was one of those books where I actually tried to consciously slow myself down so that I wouldn’t read it too fast and be sad when it was over (I still read it too fast…). In fact, I think I will probably be rereading this one again very soon - my copy is absolutely tabbed up to the max, and I have even underlined certain parts, that’s how much I connected with this text.

First of all, let’s talk about the writing. Wilson writes in this amazing way which connects you with her and also the wor
Shaazi
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a hard book to review. Firstly, it is a memoir. The story is about Sarah Wilson's last few years looking into the climate crisis. She hikes a lot and gets to interview some very interesting people along the way. The interviews, however, are a tease to the reader, at times you are lucky to get a paragraph of insight before she is off again. Everything moves fast and reading this book is a fast paced hike through many landscapes.

Although the main premise is to take your one precious life
Sylvia
Although I loved Sarah Wilson's previous book, as it spoke to me about anxiety in a way that was extremely relatable and true, This One Wild and Precious Life had me feeling the same most of the read but by the end of it I felt somewhat overwhelmed by it all. I respect what the author, Sarah Wilson has to say, and give props to her for living her best life and being true to her beliefs. And, yes, what the author is writing about and asking of us to finally embrace the rage and reconnect with our ...more
Kymie
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Parts of this book are waffly as hell. But it met me where I was and showed me to where I need to be. The best quote comes from the authors' brother: 'what a horrible concept - getting ahead. What are you getting ahead of? It's the people around you, neighbours and friends, and at their expense.'

Mostly, I'm grateful to have discovered Sister Joan Chittister & journalist George Montbiot - their work is wonderfully hopeful and inspiring.

I hope for a new kind of world, connected and whole, caring
Heather
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My admiration and gratitude for Sarah Wilson continues to grow. What an epic book, rich in mind-stretching cerebral musings and heart-wrenching truths that have ultimately left me feeling that expansive yet intimate knowingness that comes with a return to connecting with each other and our planet. This book will sit with me for some time.
Camilla
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recent-reads
Elisha
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝗪𝐢𝐥𝐝 & 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰⁣

I’ve been a big fan of Sarah Wilson’s work for a long time. It started when she released her ‘I Quit Sugar’ cookbook, but really came alive when I read her book about anxiety, ‘𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝗪𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥.’ As someone with generalised anxiety disorder. this book became my lifeline. I always turn back to it’s pages for wisdom whenever my anxiety threatens to overwhelm me. So I actually screeched with excitement when I got my hands on a copy of her lates
Bianca
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
To be honest, before I reserved the audiobook I asked myself if I needed to read yet another book about climate change, consumerism, nature hikes etc, as I consider myself clued in. But then I'm also keen to learn more and, unfortunately, I need to be inspired and prompted now and then, when the wind in my sails seems to wane, which is why I ended up spending almost fourteen hours listening to Sarah narrating her own book.

Sarah Wilson is an Amazonian goddess, an objectively beautiful human speci
Bec
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
“A hopeful path forward in a fractured world.”

I made a promise to myself that I would read minimum 2 non fiction books at month to broaden my reading genres. I normally really struggle rating and reviewing non fiction however this book was a breathe of fresh air.

Sarah’s book was due to be published earlier but 2020 happened and she took the opportunity to review and add more making this the masterpiece it is. Life is precious and so many of us take it for granted.

Adult hood, race, covid, global
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stop what you are doing and read this book!

Or listen to the audiobook which I did.

This book gave me hope. It made me feel heard. Understood. That I am not alone in my thoughts and passions.

I honestly feel like this book was written by the words my soul contains in it’s depths. Although it was also very confronting and thought provoking. I learnt so much. Factual as well as inspiring. Educational and eye opening.

I’ll take so much from this book into my everyday life. Some of which I already k
Nancy
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Although this book starts out with a pretty grim view of the world, by the end I found it one of the most wonderfully uplifting, inspiring and enlightening books I have read in a long time. This is more than a book - it is a conversation with Sarah Wilson where she opens herself up, with all of her fears, failings and anxieties, and asks you to engage with her and learn from her.

For me, a good indicator of how much I like a book is how many margin notes I have scribbled all over it and this book
Gaby Meares
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's very easy to dismiss this book as yet another preachy tome from a white privileged female, trying to tell us all how to live. And at first, that is exactly how I found myself responding as I read. But then I thought more deeply about this and realised that it's precisely her privilege that gives Wilson the space to think about these issues. In fact, I came to the conclusion, after finishing Wilson's book, that it's up to those of us who are lucky enough to consider ourselves privileged to d ...more
Chelsea Bruning
Oct 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF at 53%. I trudged through the ARC for as long as I could, but couldn’t embrace a book that is intent on making readers feel worse about everything*. When you think that the world around you is falling apart, this book will preach to you that the world around you is LITERALLY falling apart.
Other reviewers seem to have enjoyed and appreciated it more than I, so clearly this was just not a book for me.

*climate crisis, pandemic, healthcare, politics, bushfires, animal/human extinction, misguid
Ita
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I was surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did. Sarah can be a bit all or nothing but she has some good ideas and she puts it into practice. I picked this book up for the title because I liked the sentence "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" from Mary Oliver's poem "The summer day". I was disappointed she never mentioned Mary Oliver, I might have missed it as I listened to the audio version.
Suzie Bull
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Those who enjoyed "First we make the beast beautiful" will also enjoy "This One wild and precious life". Sarah's words are there to rally us into not just caring about ourselves, our environment and those around us, but to encourage us to turn those thoughts into action. The core message is looking after the environment and looking beyond today and into the future.
Tully E Reynolds
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
We are all feeling the sadness and frustration of the world right now. We are disconnected yet this is what connects us. Sarah gives us hope and outlines even small changes we all need to make. I loved that each chapter includes a hike Sarah has done around the world. Although I found parts of the book overwhelming, it was ultimately inspiring hopeful.
Me
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s a different book. More a ramble than a walk down a straight path. She’s a nutter but a loveable nutter (I think) who speaks a lot of truth. This book is more about hope than about problems but it does start out discussing the problems with the world. I found it reassuring to know I’m not alone in my despair at the world. I’m not sure her cure will work but what do we have left but hope?
evelyn
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book - picked it up from BIG W a few weeks ago and and 216 pages in.

I think the book gives a wake up call to the readers and is also quite relevant to the year of 2020. Sarah has such a great outlook on life. She goes on and talks about the disconnect in the world, capitalism, reconnecting with nature and how to be more environmentally aware and living minimalist.
Emily Mcleod
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sarah writes that she is someone who leans forward, I’m so glad she is because it means the rest of us forward leaners in this silly world have the opportunity to read her honest, curious and raw thoughts about all the things that matter. Reading this book is like having a long, hard, rewarding conversation with a good friend, you come out feeling thoroughly drained and happy.
Christie
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I rarely buy books these days, but half way through reading this book I returned it to the library and purchased a copy. My copy is now full of highlighted passages & post it notes. I have no doubt I will re-read it many times, for many reasons. This book is about many things but it left me feeling inspired and hopeful be for that I am thankful. ...more
Njwayz
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved First, We Make The Beast Beautiful and I was hoping to feel the same about this book but sadly, for me, it was an effort to get to the end. Although the book has much to admire I found the structure and tone problematic.
Prue McDonald
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. There were times where I had to put it down because I needed time to process and think about what I was reading, but each time I came back more enthusiastically then before.
Cara
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking on loneliness, COVID and climate change. A little preachy at times.
Renlilhil
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you.
Thoughtful, timely and necessary.
I shall read again.
Renée
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, tough, thought-provoking, necessary read for this time. Some may find it a bit woo-woo, but I really enjoyed it. The world needs more soul nerds.

• A Lonely Girl is a Dangerous Thing
  • Phosphorescence: On Awe, Wonder and Things That Sustain You When the World Goes Dark
  • The Happiest Man on Earth