Start by marking “The King and Jai (Royal & Reckless, #1)” as Want to Read:
The King and Jai (Royal & Reckless, #1)

The King and Jai

(Royal & Reckless #1)

One young American tutor + one dangerously sexy widowed king = conflict, chaos, misadventure and lots and lots of sexytimes

Jai

For the record, sleeping with my boss was not part of the plan when I started this new job. A job I desperately need to get my parents off my back about my chosen career path.

But the second I catch sight of Lukas Romansky in the flesh, I know I’m in
Published June 14th 2020 by Moonwalker Press (first published May 12th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The King and Jai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King and Jai

Start your review of The King and Jai (Royal & Reckless, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
As someone who loves historical romances and loves the dynamic of a royal/commoner, I was really hoping that The King and Jai would give me those "stiff upper lip" + protocols! + gay vibes, but I didn't get that at all.

Look, for the king to have barely any staff and bodyguards, no formality whatsoever, and to be so cavalier that he was riding a dildo in an unlocked room in the castle in the middle of the day (!!!) just removed all of the royal atmosphere I was hoping to get. Fine, you want to
Gustaf
May 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
This one didn't make much sense... but I still really liked it. Like what kind of king has some action with his dildo in an unlocked bathroom in the middle of the day? However, the whole internalized homophobia is so done in gay romance. Can we just move on from it already?
June
May 15, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF around 50%. This started so well... a meta reference to The Sound of Music and some interesting details about Jai's linguistic and cultural studies. The romance part was well done, too. BUT. The story takes place in a fictional monarchy near Russia, Korova, and the royal aspect makes absolutely NO SENSE. Protocol was dropped about 10 pages in. The royals barely attended any event, had a suspicious amount of free time... I feel like the plot would have worked much better if the King and his c ...more
Sam
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and humorous, loved it!
haletostilinski
1.5 stars rounded up

Rounding up not because there was anything I particularly liked about this one, but I also didn't hate this either, so I don't feel right giving it 1 star.

But make no mistake, this one wasn't for me. I think I knew early on it wasn't. The characters were very one dimensional, the chemistry was...meh, and I felt way more watching "A Christmas Prince" on Netflix than reading this.

I wanted a goodie I could sink my teeth into. With great chemistry, great relationship building an
Lelyana's Reviews
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, mm, arc

I liked Jai. I'd met him, a few times in previous series, and he's an awesome friend.
I was a bit conflicted with liking the story and not liking some of the elements of this installment.
Especially the aristocracy and the King thing. And a reckless one.
I'm not sure is there some Country with that kind of protocol in this world? The lacking of protocols, and only have one or two guards. Maybe there is. Like Korova :)
But aside from those annoying facts, I was enjoying The King and Jai. Not very ex
Natalie
Feb 06, 2021 rated it liked it
Ed Davis
I’ve really enjoyed every book I’ve read by Isla Olsen. They’re light and sweet with little to no angst and always a happily ever after. It’s also fun how characters from previous books show up in the story. This one had Owen and Blake in it. Isla is one of the authors I turn to when I want a feel good read.
Patricia Nelson
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this marvelous, sweet, grab-you-by-the-feels, tug-at-your-heartstrings, sexy, delightful, amazing, charming, lovely, poignant, beautiful, and totally awesome modern day royal romance. It had me hooked from beginning to end, and I can't wait to see what happens next. ...more
Jenn (not Lily)
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect! Sweet and funny, it makes me wish Korova was a place I could visit to cheer for its monarchy. Looking forward to Alik's book later this year! ...more
Guy Venturi
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Matrimony, Monarchy, Maternity, Money

Politics as unusual, a tutor take over the hearts and lives of the small country of Kodova...Kosovo...Kasanova...Katastraphy...Katya...Kotya. Well, one of those "K" countries lost in the former Russian Soviet Union fragments with lots of history, colorful languages, blazing warfare, frigid nights, and really hot guys to share the vodka with in the dark. Somehow the author winds the unexpected series of events into a new musical to be played in high schools ev
Rachwithheadinabook
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Spin off good

This is the start of a spin off series Jai is Owen's best mate from the luck and love series, he is off to Korovo to be a tutor of languages and history to a upper crust family, when he meets his employer he is shocked by the King Lukus lll. What happens next is a lovely sweet love story with lots of heat between Jai and the King, a story with little angst, some struggles with internalized homophobia and a whole lotta love. A fabulous Royals loving commoners book, that is a joy to r
Rian Fox
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Falls Short

I'm a sucker for royal romance but this book here is a mess. The author never shows us character development. It just poof! And it happens and for me that is big no-no. There is way to much telling and not enough showing. Also, because of this the plot seems really rushed. I do not recommend this book at all.
Ping
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Assertive Jai, Sweet King Lukas. Hot Perfect Sexy Fairytale. Comfort Read.👌🏼
Amy Dufera - Amy's MM Romance Reviews
The King and Jai is a super sweet forbidden romance by Isla Olsen. The first book in the Royal & Reckless series, it's a spin off from Virtually Screwed, which I loved.

In this all consuming read, King Lukas falls for his children's language teacher, Jai. What follows is a tale full of homophobia, coming out, and of course children.

Everything about this book calls to me. The characters are fantastic, the storyline is sweet and entertaining, and the writing style is soothing, smooth, and riveting.
Xanthe
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a super sweet royal romance. A story that moves along quite quickly but makes sure to focus on the important moments between Jai and Lukas. There's a strong chemistry between them from their first introduction but Lukas needs time to accept himself and his desires after being constantly degraded by his father. Jai is more than happy to wait as he knows there's the possibility for something great between them.
This is such an easy story to fall into. I love the plot, the royal tutor and t
Robazizo
May 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
2.5 stars. While the books in the Love and Luck series fall on the right side of the division between ridiculous and cute, this one definitely falls into the ridiculous category. Highly improbable situations, no protocol at all and sadly a totally unrealistic standpoint on same sex relationships for a country located next to Russia. The kids were cute though and Aleksandr and his boys are intriguing. It was also nice to see Blake and Owen again, but I felt we were cheated out of a certain scene ...more
Faye K
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.. A great start as they both meet yah couldnt help not laugh.. Both are feeling and attraction but dare not to take actions. Boss and employee and a King was just a no no. Oospies in walking into a bathroom Jai wonders and sees something hot🔥. Angst and past homophobia to begin closeted and hot sexy scenes. A beautiful ending for this book. I cant wait for the next book.
When Jai moves countries for a job he prays he can prove his parents wrong with his studies. Tutoring for a family w
Ali
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was a nice story. I liked Jai in Virtually screwed and was so excited to read his story. Poor Lukas has suffered from his father’s words for so long but Jai helps him realize that he needs to let them go but unfortunately they find how he tried to hurt him even more. These two have a great connection and I loved the kids and how wonderfully Jai took to them. I look forward to seeing how the Lukas’s brother’s story goes.

I received a copy of this book and am giving an honest review.
Firenz
Aug 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
Wanted to love it, but the tone did not match a royal type of book. Would have expected this as a frat house erotica tbh. I know this novel is a fiction, but some of the scenes were just to far fetched that it went outside the realm of believing.

Also why introduce a barrier to the relationship when you are just going to ignore it.

Also my pet peeve - where everyone including the pet rock is gay.
Jamie Lee Zonneveld
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The King and Jai is the first book in the Royal & Reckless serie by Isla Olsen. This book is about Jai, if you've read Virtually Screwed you have met him as Owen's best friend, and Lukas, the King of Korova. I loved Lukas and Jai. The book was very well written and the story was very good. I loved it. Can't wait for the next book. ...more
Mitsubachi
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
♥☆SℓιM☆♥
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing

***Spoilers? Maybe this review may end up with a few***

I can say that I was a bit curious if Jai was going to get a book himself. Or more so curious about Jai himself. Being Owen's friend and then up and living taking that job in another country.

I was glad he got his book and both he and Owen regardless of how far away they were they stayed in touch. & was both at each other wedding. Plus; when I was reading this book. I had a feeling that King Lukas's son
Kate
Jun 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
**********Contains Spoilers**********

I really like this book and I’m glad Jai got his happily ever after. I loved reading about Prince Tomas & Princess Katya, especially their interactions and connection with Jai. I liked that Jai made Lukas relax and not be so uptight and I liked that Lukas was very hands on with his children and loved them unconditionally, and is very proud of them. I’m glad Jai’s parents were extremely happy with him by the end of the book after everything they’ve made him f
Kayla
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
love it!

I waited forever before reading Jai's story in the hopes that the series would have dropped a book 2, but I couldn't keep waiting. I reread the Love and Luck series then read Spencer and Will's story in the big shot book, and I couldn't keep waiting for Jai!

Lukas and Jai are so sweet and soooooo effing hot together! I highly recommend their story, even if book 2 of the series hasn't dropped yet (I hope it's about Boyd, Lennox, and Alexsandr!)

IO is a one click author for me. You're guara
R.B. Austin
Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
"The King and Jai" received FOUR stars.

I had a huge smile on my face the entire time I was reading this. 💖

The novel gained *stars* for these items:

* gained for: "The book caught my interest in the first five pages."

* gained for: "I thought about the book when I was forced to set it down and re-enter society."

* gained for: "There were no info dumps, poor writing, or copy edit mistakes that jerked me out of the story."

* gained for: "I was sad when the book ended. I wanted more!"

The novel failed
Cassidy Wallace
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've been dying to read Jai's book since reading Owen's book and I'm so happy I did. I loved every second of this book, it was so adorable and I loved the royal aspect to the story. Lukas and Jai were so adorable together when they finally "for together," while it did add some drama to the story I really did like that Lukas wasn't out because I feel as if the story wouldn't quite have the same effect if he was. I absolutely loved the kids, they added to the story and were absolutely adorable. Ov ...more
Rhema P __(:з」∠)__
Abit tooooo fanciful. I love this trope but even in my most insane dreams, I can’t ever imagine this happening. This meaning from “the moment Jai landed in Karvov?? Country”.

I didn’t fancy the writing as well; was abit kiddy & I felt very young reading it. I would have never guessed Jai & the King were supposed to be in their twenties and thirties.

and the smut, the bits I read were shocking and um unnecessary. It was just weirdly timed in the plot.

Dnf 33%

Tbh, If I ignored everything it would ma
Rachel
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great start to the series. Lukas and Jai will grab you and not let go! Loved the dynamic and push/pull type of vibe with Jai being thrown into the unexpected being around a King and Luk realizing that things he thought he was letting go are now front and center. Sweet and sexy and loved the chemistry from the moment they met. Add in 2 adorable kids and I can't wait for more in this Universe! I voluntarily reviewed an 'Advance Author’s Copy' of this book. ...more
Marjorie Williams
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SWEET ROYAL ROMANCE❤️

I’ve been looking forward to Jai’s book and I’m not disappointed in the least! Kai is very straight forward and it’s great. Lucas doesn’t seem to know exactly what to do with him to start with but luckily he figures it out. With a little angst and a lot of love they find their HEA!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Marry Me (Tattoos and Temptation #1)
  • Fix Me (Tattoos and Temptation #2)
  • Topping the Jock (Blue Harbor #1)
  • Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
  • Melting (Otter Bay #1)
  • Spotlight (Famous, #2)
  • Screwed (Four Bears Construction, #4)
  • Locked Heart (Famous)
  • Stud (Four Bears Construction #5)
  • Fakers (Licking Thicket, #1)
  • By the Numbers (Love Logic, #3)
  • Dating the Boss (Blue Harbor #2)
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
  • NautiCal (Forever Wilde, #8)
  • Hardwood (Four Bears Construction, #3)
  • Ranger
  • Loving Logan (Writing Our Love #4)
  • Free Me (Tattoos and Temptation, #3)
See top shelves…

Royal & Reckless (2 books)
  • Three’s a Crown (Royal & Reckless, #2)

News & Interviews