Start by marking “Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11” as Want to Read:

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  1,542 Ratings  ·  269 Reviews
Simply told, grandly shown, here is the flight of Apollo 11. Here for a new generation of readers and explorers are the steady astronauts, clicking themselves into gloves and helmets, strapping themselves into sideways seats. Here are their great machines in all their detail and monumentality, the ROAR of rockets, and the silence of the Moon. Here is a story of adventure a ...more
Published April 7th 2009 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books

Mischenko
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
See this review and others at www.readrantrockandroll.com

Moonshot:The Flight of Apollo 11 by Brian Floca is the story of the first American manned moon landing, Apollo 11 in 1969. It's told in a simple manner and doesn't contain too many facts for young readers.

The illustrations are very detailed and the story is written in poetic form.

From Earth to moon and back again, it's the perfect book for young elementary readers.

For older kids, there's the more complicated story including facts and t
The Library Lady
If this book doesn't get a batch of awards then I will totally give up on my fellow librarians as a bunch of hopeless twits! I would give it 4 1/2 stars if I could, perhaps even 4 3/4 stars.

This is one of the BEST pieces of non-fiction for children I have seen in a while. The language is simple enough to read to a younger child, but has such a poetic feel that it will catch the attention of an older child who can read it on their own. There is plenty of information, but it's presented in a way t
whitney
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is SUCH a lovely book! My daughter M (age not-quite-4) wanted a book about astronauts, so I helped her ask the librarian, and this is what the librarian recommended. It is perfect! The words are beautiful for reading aloud, the details of the artwork are incredible, and it does an amazing job of conveying the scope and scale and majesty and astoundingness of what we did in going to the moon. I actually tear up when I read the part about the people waiting at home, just imagining what that m ...more
Brenda
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Future Space Explorers
Recommended to Brenda by: Picture Book Club Selection for November
Shelves: picture-books
This was a very fun book to read with my son. The illustrations immediately grab your attention they are light hearted and warm at the same time. Floca presents a lot of information but seems to balance it with very detailed drawings that keep the child entertained as you are reading. The front inside and back cover provide some wonderful illustrations and notes on the stages of a launch and lunar insertion and liftoff. Overall, a wonderful book and highly recommend it.
Molly
Picture Book- Non-Fiction
Published April 7th 2009 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books
ISBN: 141695046X (ISBN13: 9781416950462)
Ages 4-7

Summary:
The story of Apollo 11, its crew, and the world that watched it happen--the first moon landing in 1969.

Uses:
Great Read aloud text for the following unit studies:
-Space
-Transportation
-Sequencing
-Explorers/Biographies
-Free-verse poetry
-US History- Kennedy, Nixon
-Author's website( http://www.brianfloca.com/Moonshot.html) has coloring pages, links to book traile
Andrea
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rll-538
My love for the space program and the early missions of Mercury, Gemini and Apollo led me right to this book!! Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11 tells the story of three brave men, Michael Collins, Edwin Aldrin and Neil Armstrong, and their journey into space to be the first men to set foot on the moon in 1969. Through detailed illustrations, diagrams and timelines, we feel as though we are right there with the astronauts on their mission to the moon. From the mission control countdown to the sp ...more
CH13_Meghan Schultz
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
As the 2010 Robert F. Sibert Honor Book, this picture book tells the story of Apollo 11. While the story of Apollo 11 is quite grand and detailed, this picture book does a phenomenal job of retelling this historic mission in a very simplistic way, one in which younger students would be apt to understand. Key vocabulary such as the astronauts' names (Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Buzz Aldrin), spaceships' names (Columbia and Eagle), launch control jargon (Go for launch), etc are all used ...more
Nicole
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, younger readers with adult help
I tried to dismiss this book as being too text-heavy, but thank god I have it another try. It's wonderful. The writing is simple but elegant. Elegant- there is just no other word that expressed the beauty inherent in its simplicity. Floca has taken the tired story of space travel to the moon and infused it with new life. He blends personal stories and factual details flawlessly.

A taste:
"Armstrong, Collins, Aldrin
ride the fire and thunder
pressed deep in their seats
their bodies as heavy as clay."

I
Caroline C
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
This informational text is geared towards students in grades 2-4. Students will find themselves on an adventure as they discover the story of Apollo 11. Brian Floca brings the reader into a world of exploration as they learn about this monumental moment in history. The descriptive narrative and captivating pictures provide a step-by-step account of Apollo 11’s journey.

For students in second grade, Readworks has a paired-text lesson that goes along with this book. http://www.readworks.org/lesson
Luann
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In Moonshot, Brian Floca has written and illustrated an extremely well-done account of the first moon landing for younger students. The story is simplified, but not so much that the emotional impact is lessened or any vital details skipped over. There is actually an amazing amount of detail given in the simple text. The illustrations add an extra layer of detail while at the same bring some humor and intensity to the story. I learned a lot just studying the diagrams, illustrations, and informati ...more
Whitney Raeon
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
This is a wonderful informational text about the journey Apollo 11 took to the moon. I enjoyed this book because it tells a fascinating true story that keeps the reader intrigued and engaged while teaching them factual details about the journey to the moon.
Many kids love rockets and astronauts. As a result, I can see myself reading this book to my students. They will love the pictures and how the author creates anticipation about what will happen next. I can see introducing this book first thro
Mary
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very interesting story about the flight of Apollo 11. The story was easy enough for young children to read and was also inetersting enough to keep the attention of older kids. The illustrations were also great to look at and helped to tell the story. I also really liked how some of the words were larger than others to add drama and excitement to the story. This book would be great for kids in grades 2-6. This book is on the Robert F. Sibert Medal and Honor Books for 2010.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Of all the books published about the moon landing this year, this is unquestionably the best for younger readers. Floca’s gloriously illustrated, stirring account retraces Apollo 11’s historic mission in brief but precise detail, and also brilliantly captures the mighty scope and drama of the achievement. Intelligent and stunning.
Nicole Mcgovern
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bought this for the kids bc the author came to their school. It was so concise and beautifully written that I cried a bit while reading it to Ian. Jack got it autographed and it is his new fav book!
Betsy
Jul 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I consider myself a person of at least average intelligence. I know how to hold down a job. To feed and clothe myself. And when it comes to historical events I tend to think that I know most of the pertinent details. Take the original moon landing of Apollo 11 as one such example. Sure, I knew that the folks on the ship were “Buzz” Aldrin, Michael Collins, and Neil Armstrong. I knew it was a flight filled with close calls and near catastrophes (thank YOU Team Moon by Catherine Thimmesh!). And I ...more
Baby Bookworm
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, everybody! Today’s book is Moonshot: The Flight Of Apollo 11 by Brian Floca, a beautiful and informative account of the mission that put the first man on the moon.

It is a quiet, peaceful day in the warm sun of Florida, but three men are preparing to make history: they will be the first men to walk on the moon. The book walks you through their preparations, their challenges, and the exciting moment that the whole country was waiting for. Our cold and distant moon without life becomes the h
Crystal
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a terrific book about The Flight of Apollo 11.

I liked the illustrations. The depictions of people were very basic but that did not bother me. The book was about the flight and those illustrations were breathtaking. From an illustration of the rocket ready to launch to the two-page illustration of the journey to the moon, they are very well-done.

I loved the language. The language was simple, yet filled with literary devices. My favorite device was the onomatopoeia. I love how Floca made
Jordan Henderson
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Traci Bold
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite way to learn about anything is through children's non-fiction. This beautiful and exciting #NF #PB by author/illustrator, Brian Floca shows you exactly why.

Take a trip back in time when the USA saw the moon for the first time ever and the families gathered around the TV to watch. What was it like for the astronauts? What did they eat? How did they do everyday things in space?

Find out when you read this exceptional book. Make sure you do more than glance at the end papers as they are
Emily Pinson
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about the flight of Apollo 11. It goes into detail about the flight and how certain things were performed. This story has two elements: the people and the machines. This is a story about discovery and incredible discovery.
I liked this book for the pictures and the beautiful way that certain things were described. The language used was great and easy for young readers.
I would introduce this book when we talk about the moon and recommend it to children who have dreams of being an astr
Sunah Chung
The book, Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11, tells the story of Apollo 11 which is a spaceship famous for the first landing on the Moon. The process of airspace launch, what happened in the space ship, the actual act of landing on the Moon, and the process of going back to the Earth are all depicted simply, but splendidly.

What I like the best about this book is the front endpaper which contains the full illustrations of the spaceship with names of the parts, the process of docking and ejecting
Taylor Shannon
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is about the first moon landing called, Apollo 11. It describes the landing and its significance in our history. The pictures and diagrams helps the reader understand what the book is describing, and it is not too difficult for younger readers to understand. The illustrations were beautiful and helped you appreciate the beauty of space even more. This book would be best used when having a topic about space. It would help get the students excited to learn more about space!
Sarah Adamson
This is an excellent picture book for young kids to learn about the Apollo 11 space mission and the first lunar landing. It covers the whole journey in almost poetry language and will capture the imagination of kids - readers or pre-readers.
For the more interested, the inside covers of the book contain even more complex details about the mission, the rocket, the craft and the rave astronauts.
Briana Hilton
This story is one of discovery and adventure, inside the readers learns about the astronauts that embarked on the flight of Apollo 11. In the summer of 1969, the astronauts travel far away from home in order to accomplish their mission of exploration.

APA Citation: Floca, B. (2009). Moonshot: the flight of Apollo 11. New York: Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books.
Elizabeth
This is a good book for younger, school-aged children. It is fact-based and goes through the entire adventure of man's first trip to the moon. My only complaint is that it a little lengthy and you have to get creative in order to keep attention.
Alycia Mcleod
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a quick read with poetic information about the Apollo 11 mission. I really enjoyed the pictures, which help young readers envision the whole process from start to finish.
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read sixteen times this year. My kid will recite bits of this while he plays.
Heather Jo
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meggie-list
Betsy
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a GREAT nonfiction picture book. Detailed cartoon-style drawings show the astronauts (and the moon and space and spaceships and...) as they prepare and take off for the eventful journey. Floca has filled the endpapers with detailed and informative drawings as well. I learned a lot from reading this book even though I thought I was familiar with this subject.

Long Picture Book of the Week Feature as posted on Literaritea

Brian Floca
Atheneum Books for Young
Allison Hart
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book about space that offers real facts in a nice flow for easy reading. The inclusion of onomatopoeia words (Click!) gives the kids a fun story to follow. It offers an easy to understand explanation for how a rocket takes off and how Apollo headed up into space. I would recommend this book to anyone for their space unit.
  • Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea
  • Butterflies And Moths
  • Redwoods
  • Sit-In: How Four Friends Stood Up by Sitting Down
  • Astronaut Handbook
  • 14 Cows for America
  • One Giant Leap
  • The Day-Glo Brothers: The True Story of Bob and Joe Switzer's Bright Ideas and Brand-New Colors
  • Ballet for Martha: Making Appalachian Spring
  • Bad News for Outlaws: The Remarkable Life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U. S. Marshal
  • The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau
  • Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon
  • Look Up!: Bird-Watching in Your Own Backyard
  • Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to Dream
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • The Quest for the Tree Kangaroo: An Expedition to the Cloud Forest of New Guinea (Scientists in the Field Series)
  • Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune  Swimsuit History!
Brian Floca is the author-illustrator of the Caldecott Medal winner Locomotive, the Robert F. Sibert Honor books Moonshot and Lightship, and other picture books, and is the illustrator of many more books for young readers. Brian Floca lives and works in Brooklyn.
More about Brian Floca...